Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2005, 03:17 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow SU! vs CTMH inkpads

I aquired a few CTMH inkpads (the old style, but new)and I also have a quite a few (30 or so) SU! inkpads.

Last night I did a side by side comparison between the two pads. Using the same stamp, well cleaned, same paper and pressure.

My analysis: The CTMH ink pads are a LOT better. This is not the outcome I had anticipated or hoped for, especially since I have 10 times as many SU! inkpads as CTMH.

My comparisons:

THE CTMH inkpad in denser, yet still pliable.

The CTMH inkpads stay flat, and SU!'s bow up at the edges.

CTMH has no stray fibers at the edge of the pads, SU!, lots of stray fibers, and they can get on the image and botch it tup.

THe stamp "took" the CTMH ink better. The stamp would be fully inked with a single press on the pad, but the same stamp inked w/SU! pad did not fully "take" all the ink.

When I placed the images side by side, the CTMH inked impression was darker (I used black), and crisper and "richer", and the color was consistent throughout the entire impression. OTOH the SU! impression had some every so slight muddy edges, and areas that were noticeably lighter where the ink didn't "take" to the stamp as well.

Anyone else have any ink pad analysis they would like to share?

Handstamped......because I can't draw
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 05:04 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an SU! demo who went to CTMH and back to SU!, I have the opposite opinion. The CTMH pads are smaller and I hated how you open the cases. They have a problem with the deeper pigment colors, too. The Holiday Red and Barn Red pads have too much pigment on them and look like you poured red acrylic paint on them. The extra fibers on SU! never bothered me.

I really hated CTMH colors, too. It was impossible to find any color combinations.

I think SU! is WAY more superior and I will never waste my money again on anything but SU!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting topic to raise. I just ordered my first CTMH stamp pad and it hasn't arrived yet. I mainly ordered it to be able to qualify to buy a really cool file folder stamp set that is only available this month

I, too, have "issues" with SU stamp pads. The new style of box is very clever in design but the ink pad itself stinks, in my opinion. You are correct in your assessment that the pads cup up and the edges fray out, and to top it off, any frayed thread that drapes over the side of the container leaks ink - yuck!

I know that diehard SU demos have absolutely concern about this; they accept it as the way it has to be because that is the way SU makes their ink pads. What makes no sense to me is that I have NEVER had any other brand of stamp pad (even cheapies from Walmart) do the nasty things that SU pads do -- who in the world do they have manufacturing these things? The fancy containers much cost so much that they have to use a lesser quality pad to keep the retail cost conpetitive. There is no other logical explaination for it.

Until SU figures it out, I'm not replacing the old pads for the new design. Reinkers to the rescue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
Interesting topic to raise. I just ordered my first CTMH stamp pad and it hasn't arrived yet. I mainly ordered it to be able to qualify to buy a really cool file folder stamp set that is only available this month

I, too, have "issues" with SU stamp pads. The new style of box is very clever in design but the ink pad itself stinks, in my opinion. You are correct in your assessment that the pads cup up and the edges fray out, and to top it off, any frayed thread that drapes over the side of the container leaks ink - yuck!

I know that diehard SU demos have absolutely concern about this; they accept it as the way it has to be because that is the way SU makes their ink pads. What makes no sense to me is that I have NEVER had any other brand of stamp pad (even cheapies from Walmart) do the nasty things that SU pads do -- who in the world do they have manufacturing these things? The fancy containers much cost so much that they have to use a lesser quality pad to keep the retail cost conpetitive. There is no other logical explaination for it.

Until SU figures it out, I'm not replacing the old pads for the new design. Reinkers to the rescue!
I am curious to hear your opinion of the CTMH inkpad. I was comparing the two brands using black ink, but I noticed the same superiority (IMHO) in the colored inkpads.

I agree that the SU! inkpads are competitively priced, but the inking is SUCH a critical component to a good stamped image, I think the pads need to be improved. I have to say, I'm disappointed in the quality on SU! inkpads.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Hmmm, I was just considering buying the SU stamp pads (I have the older style CTMH pads (flip lid not current style). My old style CTMH pads have the "string thing" going on and it's driving me nuts!! If it's a dark pad and you stamp it, you don't always notice it until you see the string line in your impression - ugh! I just love the idea of the SU pads (and now the new CTMH pads) how the ink is stored upside down. Would love to hear more comments on this.

Edited to add....I just was wondering, when you were inking your stamps, were you using the "my Acrylix" or SU wood mounted stamps? I wonder if that makes a difference in the quality of your impression (not sure). Also...I've really come to love the SU cardstock, so I'm wondering if I went with CTMH colors if they would coordinate with my SU cardstock enough? Thanks!

Last edited by StampinStacy; 12-10-2005 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all the SU pads, most of them the new style. No complaints. But then I became a TAC demo and started buying Palette Hybrid Ink Pads and I LOVE THEM! They work on all surfaces AND it's easier to clean the ink off them than Staz-On. They are acid-free and archival, so they're safe in scrapbooks. And the pad design is good. I recommend them as the #1 all purpose ink pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinStacy

Also...I've really come to love the SU cardstock, so I'm wondering if I went with CTMH colors if they would coordinate with my SU cardstock enough? Thanks!
The colors do not coordinate at all. The CTMH CS is actually really weird! You can't stamp with versamark on it. The ink just kinda floats on it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Colleen, did you compare like for like? WEre your SU pads also new as you said the CTMH pads are? If not, you may find that the results were just because you were comparing a new pad with an old one.
I have no axe to grind as I am British and can't get either ink pad!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thanks, Sarah...that's good to know. I used to have nothing but CTMH cardstock, but as I've been using it up (almost gone now) and integrating the SU cardstock...I don't know HOW I lived without SU cardstock before - ha! It is wonderful stuff. I've been using my old style CTMH ink pads with my SU cardstock, and the colors (so far) have matched better than I thought they would. I'm thinking overall that the SU ink pads must be loved by the majority, just based on the awesome creations in the SCS gallery alone (of course, assuming that the majority of the creations are made with SU ink). But, I'd still love to hear more comments from everyone about their experience with the SU ink pads. I need to replace my ink pads soon, and I just don't know which way to go...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Say, Ally...I just took a peek at your gallery, and it is awesome! What inks do you use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Edited to add....I just was wondering, when you were inking your stamps, were you using the "my Acrylix" or SU wood mounted stamps? I wonder if that makes a difference in the quality of your impression (not sure). Also...I've really come to love the SU cardstock, so I'm wondering if I went with CTMH colors if they would coordinate with my SU cardstock enough? Thanks!
Hi Stacy, I guess I should have added the type of stamp I used in my "scientific" experiement :p I used a SU! wood mounted stamp, not acrylic.

I can't speak to the cs issue because I live very close to Hollo's and I buy all my cs from them, I love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally
Colleen, did you compare like for like? WEre your SU pads also new as you said the CTMH pads are? If not, you may find that the results were just because you were comparing a new pad with an old one.
I have no axe to grind as I am British and can't get either ink pad!

Good point, no, the SU! pad was not new, but the CTMH pad was freshly unsheathed from it's shrink-wrap (how dramatic does that sound, lol!) That could contribute to the difference in quality, I suppose.

What kind of inkpads do you use in the UK?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use a Versafine pad or Stazon if I am stamping in black. But the pads I use the most are my Brilliance pads, I just love the pearlescent effect you get with these pads, they are just gorgeous.
I also have lots of Colorbox cats' eyes and Versacolor cubes. And if I am embossing I use my trusty Versamark. Love that one so much I have four pads and the pen.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Just my two cents. I have noticed that the CTMH colored ink pads (espeically the fall and winter colors) just don't read well on paper. I had 18 of the colors and could never get them to match up right. The summer and spring colors didn't seem to have that problem.
BUT- I do like CTMH's black ink pad. In my opinion, it is better than SU!'s. I'm not sure why, I've just found that it inks better and gives a better image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Two of my SU stampin spots must have had a stray thread because they both leaked and I had ink all over the storage box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukeboxgraduate
Hi Stacy, I guess I should have added the type of stamp I used in my "scientific" experiement :p I used a SU! wood mounted stamp, not acrylic.

I can't speak to the cs issue because I live very close to Hollo's and I buy all my cs from them, I love it!

I'd like to weigh in on this issue, but before I begin, Colleen, I must say your avatar is absolutely ADORABLE!!!! (my gorgeous granddaughter).

About the ink pads....I AM a SU! demo and I want to love the ink pads but I just don't. I can't stand the way they fray at the edges and bow. I apply even pressure and many times can't get my stamp fully inked, it's really frustrating.

A while ago (before I joined with SU!) I purchased about 8 Colorbox Petal Points and these are the pads I reach for over and over......many colors to choose from, they stay amazingly "wet" consider how small the petal is, I can get great coverage by dabbing it over my stamp because the pad has a nice "give" to it (it's kinda spongy), plus they are versatile for embossing also.

There you have it...my 2 cents worth!

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

This discussion seems to be centered on dye based pads as the CTMH pads and the classic pads are dye based. I've tried CTMH very little (one at a stamp convention once), SU a lot (they are the pads my sister has), Memories, Adarondak, and some cheepies. Right now, my favs are the ranger pads. The thicker ink stamps really crisp and they are DIVINE if you hit them with water. No other pad seems to seep away if rivulets like the adarondak pads. BTW, I am a SU demo and I really love their craft pads best. As pigment pads go, I think they ROCK. Dye pads? They are OK, but Adarondak is better IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I love all the ideas and suggestions here. I guess my only concern is (and I'm not sure this is on topic really so I'm sorry if I'm hijacking a bit)...I love the idea of how the inks, cardstock, markers, etc. coordinate colorwise with each other (whether it be SU or CTMH); however, I also want to be happy with the quality of my (dye based) ink pads, as well (if that's possible - ha!) So....if one was to get all CTMH ink pads (because they like the quality better) but have SU cardstock would that work?

Scarlett 75...Did you mean when you tried the CTMH ink pads on SU cardstock? Thanks!

Last edited by StampinStacy; 12-10-2005 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I love all the ideas and suggestions here. I guess my only concern is (and I'm not sure this is on topic really so I'm sorry if I'm hijacking a bit)...I love the idea of how the inks, cardstock, markers, etc. coordinate colorwise with each other (whether it be SU or CTMH); however, I also want to be happy with the quality of my (dye based) ink pads, as well (if that's possible - ha!) So....if one was to get all CTMH ink pads (because they like the quality better) but have SU cardstock would that work?

Scarlett 75...Did you mean when you tried the CTMH ink pads on SU cardstock? Thanks!
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it.
I used the CTMH fall and winter inks on CTMH cardstock and it just never "looked right" to me. The black CTMH ink, however, looks fabulous on every cardstock I've tried. SU! has better colored ink, IMHO. I ended up selling all of my CTMH ink families and bought all of the SU! inks.

I do have to admit, however, that I went and looked at my most used color, Baroque Burgundy, and noted that I do see some fraying. :( I wonder if it's just because I've used it so much?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Thanks Scarlett75 - That answers my question perfectly! (At first I thought you meant that you tried your CTMH inks on SU cardstock). Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbylaura
Two of my SU stampin spots must have had a stray thread because they both leaked and I had ink all over the storage box!
All you have to do is trim the little stray threads. give your pads a haircut every once in awhile if needed, before the ink has a chance to leak out. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I only have one large SU pad - Basic Black, I use spots (hate the stray threads too!) I do use the large SU pads quite a bit at my monthly Stampers Club. My SU Demo has them all and they are used/abused a LOT. I find the new pads seem to bow in the middle and it is hard to get coverage on the stamp especially the larger stamps and background stamps. I too love the Palette Hybrid Inks, I have the spots in those too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #23  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

OK... I have to jump on this one.... I love love love my old CTMH ink pads. They discontinued them last summer when they went to the new "flippy-spinny" case (trying to copy SU!?). At that time, they also changed the ink formula to one that they describe as "more rich and creamy"... is this ink or ice cream??? ANYWAY... it's like a hybrid between dye and classic ink. I got a few of the new pads since I have EVERY flippin color of CTMH cardstock! Let me say that words cannot describe how much I do NOT like the new ink! The pad design itself is fine. It is larger than their old ones. But I have had to return TWO Barn Red pads for quality problems (one was crusty and the other changed color from red to greenish brown after a couple months) and I had to return a Cranberry pad (same crusty problem) and a Breeze pad as well. The Breeze pad stamped in a chalk-like color that rubbed off when dry. A nice effect, but not one I wanted! I'm working on switching over my stock of cardstock and ink from CTMH colors to SU! This could take a while....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

For those who love the old style pads, they are still available through our websites at a discounted price of $2.85 until sold out. There's also a free and discounted shipping special going on. If anybody needs any info, feel free to contact me.

Suz
CTMH Director
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmm, I find this interesting!

Even though I am a SU demo, it is just for hubby, so if the CTMH inks were better, I would have no trouble using them.

So far, I have only tried the SU! though...Can't pass up that discount!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes