Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #201  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyanaView Post
I in no way meant to imply that people with kids can't handle this if that's how it sounded. I just meant that if they do the 80 hour work week, have their hands full with kids and all of their activities AND do stampin' up, time may be limited. If it sounded that way, I apologize! I in no way meant that. Moms with many kids (or even one or two) learn to juggle things and I am in awe of those of you who can go to the grocery store with more than one child! (I have one who is two--that is difficult enough sometimes!)
And I did not mean to imply that I inferred that from your post! :-D
I just wanted to caution people not to make inferences simply based on the other activities the demo may be involved in. Better to do as you suggested and just straight out ask about that demo's level of committment to her US business and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #202  
Splitcoast Member Company

Ok girls this might be a no go area but I realy just want to check because its killing missing out on this deal................

I have not seen the paperwork for becoming a demo so can not check this out myself.
What are the legal requirment to be coming a demo?
I have a USA address for shipping.
What else do I need, must have, no way around it?
I was told a USA bank account and a social security number, is this essential?
Would an internet banking account do?

I appreciate your help as I am missing out big time on this deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #203  
Mad Swapper

Is you address an APO/FPO? If you are stationed somewhere you can get a military waiver..... PM me for more details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #204  
Crimping Master

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
Just adding yet another $.02 to this thread! -- sorry -- I can't stop myself -- LOL! If you all are tired of reading my drivel let me know and I'll stop!
Keep it coming, you always have excellent information and are lots of help. Besides, you have the best looking avatar in this thread ;)

Thanks for taking the time to keep us well informed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #205  
Hardware Hotshot

You need a social security number in the US? Yikes -does that mean I would need a social insurance number? I want to become a demo in Canada but I am an American citizen without a Social Insurance number....

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #206  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hello! I got my SU demo password and ID today! I went online and was overwhelmed at how much is on the SU! website! Wow, its crazy. I am so excited, I cant wait for the kit now. :-)

On another note, I guess there is a regional conference in my area, and sign up starts next Tuesday. My Upline said she wants to go to the same one I am! (they have 2 different days). I was going to put that money towards my first order, but this is a great chance that wont come along often plus I get a $31.95 set of stamps for free (So Much)...well, its part of the $75 cost I guess. I am still debating, but I think it would be a good opportunity for me. Plus there will be swaps, which is something I have yet to have done. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #207  
Crimping Master

Default Regionals

Congratulations, Zipperc98! A Regional is a great training day for all demonstrators-rather like a mini convention. It's so much fun meeting all the different demonstrators from your region and it's neat to participate in the swapping. I went to Convention this year and have fabulous swaps that I will be showing and using in my stamping parties, clubs and classes. If you can get to a Regional near you, by all means do so. Of course as a demonstrator you might also want to start saving up for next year's Convention --it will be SU's 20th anniversary and I bet they "put on the dog" for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #208  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I do Stamp-a-stacks, I usually charge $25.00 for 12 cards. 2 each of 6 designs. I have had such large gatherings sometimes 30 persons in my house! I also give them a $10.00 credit on an order that is at least $50.00. This way I get good orders and everyone is happy. It does take like most of the afternoon for some to complete the cards...but who cares it is all fun.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #209  
Stazon Splitcoast

Zipper..you will love regionals. I went there a couple years ago for a Saturday when they held it in Las Vegas and I loved it. I look forward to seeing one here again. It is $75.00 well spent as you get a free set of stamps and do make in takes. Very good day. Have FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #210  
Crimping Master

Subscribing!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #211  
Pearl-ExPert

Any demos out there know how to deal with a small house? I am going to join, mostly for the discount and other incentives, but I am interested in maybe eventually getting more into the business side of it. (My husband is definitely pushing that too) But, I think, our house is small for more than 10 people at once. How do you work with larger groups? My upline is a hobby demo, but she's given me wonderful advice already on how to start off my business, if I decide to go that route.

Having the worst time trying to figure out what sets I want. I am going to buy stuff for the 30% discount, but I will definitely need to limit my spending after buying the starter kit!

I know I'm optimistic about getting more than 10 people to a stamping related party, but I have to be prepared.

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #212  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget19View Post
Any demos out there know how to deal with a small house?
I will be very intereted in this, that's actually one of my Qs too;)
(Am I become the one that ask too many Qs, I just relly want to well prepare myself for stepping into DEMO)

We currently live in a two bed-room condo, so space is VERY limited....I think I can only have 6 - 8 people comfotabely working on a project, if more than.....well????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #213  
Matboard Maniac

Default Is it silly to buy the retired sets?

I think this is one of the Qs that is related to new demo.....
I know the demos often try to display stuff that made with new sets, so to help the sale....but I really like "warmest regards", and saw lots of them on Ebay....I am wondering if I should get it just for personal use, or it won't hurt if I combine them with the new sets & put it at open house/class?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #214  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sttimemommeyView Post
I know the demos often try to display stuff that made with new sets, so to help the sale....but I really like "warmest regards", and saw lots of them on Ebay....I am wondering if I should get it just for personal use, or it won't hurt if I combine them with the new sets & put it at open house/class?
Retired sets are fine for personal use.
However, as soon as you put it on display or use it in a class, somebody there will fall in love with it. Then you're stuck with a few choices:
a) Sell them your retired set (which you can only do if you are the hostess)
b) Search SCS for a set for them.
c) Send them to ebay.
None of them are ideal choices. So, it's far easier to stick to current sets for demoing. There are quite a few threads about this in the demo forums, when you get there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #215  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post
Hello! I got my SU demo password and ID today! I went online and was overwhelmed at how much is on the SU! website! Wow, its crazy. I am so excited, I cant wait for the kit now. :-)

On another note, I guess there is a regional conference in my area, and sign up starts next Tuesday. My Upline said she wants to go to the same one I am! (they have 2 different days). I was going to put that money towards my first order, but this is a great chance that wont come along often plus I get a $31.95 set of stamps for free (So Much)...well, its part of the $75 cost I guess. I am still debating, but I think it would be a good opportunity for me. Plus there will be swaps, which is something I have yet to have done. :-)
Congratulations! There is a lot of information to digest when you first sign up and it's easy to get overwhelmed. But it's so much fun to read too! And just wait till you join the SU demo forum here!

I would highly recommend going to regionals. It's such a fun and educational event -- it really gets you pumped about Stampin' Up! Swapping is a great experience too! And, of course, bonding with your upline is always a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #216  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Any demos out there know how to deal with a small house? I am going to join, mostly for the discount and other incentives, but I am interested in maybe eventually getting more into the business side of it. (My husband is definitely pushing that too) But, I think, our house is small for more than 10 people at once. How do you work with larger groups? My upline is a hobby demo, but she's given me wonderful advice already on how to start off my business, if I decide to go that route.

Having the worst time trying to figure out what sets I want. I am going to buy stuff for the 30% discount, but I will definitely need to limit my spending after buying the starter kit!

I know I'm optimistic about getting more than 10 people to a stamping related party, but I have to be prepared.
One way to deal with a limited event space is to limit enrollment. Another is to offer two different sessions of the same class or event. Yet another way is to find another place to hold the event (perhaps a local library, school , churh or restaurant, though you have to check about what rules these places have for selling.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #217  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie 50View Post
Keep it coming, you always have excellent information and are lots of help. Besides, you have the best looking avatar in this thread ;)

Thanks for taking the time to keep us well informed
Thanks Barbie:-D ! ITA about the Avatar! Nathan sure is yummy eye candy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 04:24 AM   #218  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sttimemommeyView Post
I have Warmest Regards and love it for personal use. I would think that Sincere Salutations might help you with your classes. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #219  
Crimping Master

Smile

One of the reasons Stampin' Up! appealed to me was that I could hold all stamping events in my home. This is so much simpler than "packing up" for every stamping party. And my customers love having their parties in my home rather than their home because 1) they don't have to clean up & get ready for a party, 2) they don't have to displace their families while the event is going on, and 3) they get a "girls' night (afternoon) out!

If I have a big event such as a stamp camp or special class, I just set up in 2 rooms -- my eat-in country kitchen and my living room. For other events I might just limit the number of people who can attend & if there's a large number I have 2 sessions. I LOVE having events in my home--set up & clean up is easy & if I forget something I just pop into my stamping room & get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #220  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
One way to deal with a limited event space is to limit enrollment. Another is to offer two different sessions of the same class or event. Yet another way is to find another place to hold the event (perhaps a local library, school , churh or restaurant, though you have to check about what rules these places have for selling.)
This is what I do, actually, I offer 3 sessions because I can only accommodate 8-10 people at a time. It works out well! I do a weekend a month, with sessions on Fri night, Sat morn, and Mon night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #221  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

don't let a lack of space stop you. 8 folks is a lot to keep track of anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #222  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Actually, if you can get 8 to 10 stampers in your home, you are lucky. I don't even have enough space for THAT many.

If you want to be involved with a larger number, another idea may be to start a stamp club where it meets each month in the home of one of its members (rotating). You come up with a variety of projects and/or techniques to demo each time, including make & takes for each member. Each member has a minimum amount they must order each time you meet. Say you have 10 members...each member must place a $15. order minimum...then the member whose home you meet in that month gets the hostess benefits from the order. 10 X 15.00 = $150 = hostess benefits. There are tons of variations on a Stamp Club, but this is the basic idea. At least you aren't meeting in your own home.

I think that my space limitation has been my biggest road block to becoming more than just a hobby demo. For me, packing up all the items needed for a workshop is so much work and I would prefer to have classes or events in my own home. There are always solutions to any problems, but I just have not pursued them, since I work 40 hours a week (to support my habit...lol)

Once you become a demo and have access to the demo side (as someone stated previously) you will find a wealth of hints and ideas that will work for you.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #223  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been thinking about signing up as a demo but I wonder if it would be worth my time and money----I am not looking for a get rich quick scheme I just wouldn't want to use all my profits for supplies. I realize that you do need to put money back into the business. I would like to make some money at it. What kind of advice for starting up would any of you be willing to give.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #224  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayes1View Post
I have been thinking about signing up as a demo but I wonder if it would be worth my time and money----I am not looking for a get rich quick scheme I just wouldn't want to use all my profits for supplies. I realize that you do need to put money back into the business. I would like to make some money at it. What kind of advice for starting up would any of you be willing to give.
I think one thing I would recommend is to set some of your profits aside right off. YOU have to decide not to put it all back into the business. At first there are costs (ie. kit, cardstock, etc) but if you are sensible about it, you can still make money. You don't NEED to have every stamp set to demo, just what you have in the starter kit is more than enough to make hundreds of different cards/pages to demo and do make and takes with. If you do decide to sign and do make and takes at parties/clubs etc, you will have to invest in those consumable supplies (ie. cardstock, ribbon) but still can use the same stamps. Also, if you want to show something "new", you can decide to purchase ONE stamp set from the mini when it comes out. You then have something new but you don't have to break the bank. You can also borrow between your upline or other members in your group too so you all have a little more to work with if you wish.

It is mostly a state of mind. Set your mind to how much you are willing to invest back in the business and stick to it! Good luck!!
Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #225  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post

Wow that was super fast! My paperwork went in Friday so I hope I get my Demo number as fast as you did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #226  
Crimping Master

I mailed my application on Saturday, I cant wait to get my goodies!
I wonder how long it will take to make its way to me all the way down here in Florida.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #227  
Crimping Master

Okay so I have been stalking this thread for days because my hubby finally agreed to let me become a demo - yay! I just couldn't pass up the free inkpad thing, LOL!

On having a small house, my demo does not exactly have a huge house, but if there are a large number of us, she usually sets up card tables in the kitchen and the living room, and also uses her dining room table. It can be done!

Here's my question -- I understand that you get free Hostess sets according to how much your order total is, but on page 16 of the catalog, the chart also states "Hostess Awards - free merchandise totaling up to ____"

Does that mean that, for example, a $300 would give me $35 in credit to use on SU stuff? Cause if it does, that's totally sweet!

Thanks for everyone's help in advance and keep it coming!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #228  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenrnView Post
Okay so I have been stalking this thread for days because my hubby finally agreed to let me become a demo - yay! I just couldn't pass up the free inkpad thing, LOL!

On having a small house, my demo does not exactly have a huge house, but if there are a large number of us, she usually sets up card tables in the kitchen and the living room, and also uses her dining room table. It can be done!

Here's my question -- I understand that you get free Hostess sets according to how much your order total is, but on page 16 of the catalog, the chart also states "Hostess Awards - free merchandise totaling up to ____"

Does that mean that, for example, a $300 would give me $35 in credit to use on SU stuff? Cause if it does, that's totally sweet!

Thanks for everyone's help in advance and keep it coming!
Yup, that's what it means ... you get the free Hostess sets plus free merchandise. It's great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #229  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeh, that was a question I had thought of too for the free merchandise that the hostess gets, who is it that pays for that? Is that a charge to the demo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #230  

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayes1View Post
Yeh, that was a question I had thought of too for the free merchandise that the hostess gets, who is it that pays for that? Is that a charge to the demo?
SU! pays for the hostess sets and the free merchandise. Isn't that awesome!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:29 AM   #231  
Gallery Gazer

What happens if you can't make it the $300 in the first quarter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:38 AM   #232  

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
What happens if you can't make it the $300 in the first quarter?
This is taken from the Demonstrator Manual. This applies to any demo that doesn't make $300 in sales/purchases in ANY quarter.

If a demonstrator fails to meet the sales requirement in any
given quarter, she will automatically be placed on pending
status effective the first day of the next quarter. To return to active status, she has until the last day of that month to cure the shortfall from the previous quarter. In order to cure the shortfall, the demonstrator must
submit sales to the amount of the shortfall plus an additional
$100 in sales that will contribute toward the current quarter�s
sales minimum.

Does that answer your question for you?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 AM   #233  
Gallery Gazer

Yes, thank you!

So what if you don't make that quota either? (I'm worried because I don't know too many people yet.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 AM   #234  

A demonstrator who has failed to meet the stated minimum sales requirements will be placed on pending status. Pending status is a probationary or warning status that lasts no longer than one month. Pending demonstrators still receive all company mailings and can place orders. If, at the end of the pending month, the demonstrator has not met the required shortfall criteria, her demonstratorship will be terminated.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #235  
Rubber Obsessor

Craft fairs can be a great time to sell premade items or take orders, or book workshops. The orders and workshops can obviously help you make your minimums, and the money you make from the premade items can be used to purchase things from Stampin' Up! that you can use in your business--items that you purchase, other than business supplies, are added to your sales total, so it also helps you meet your minimums. I heard a good idea the other day (From a convention goer if I remember right). She said that at craft fairs, while the moms are looking at your stuff, you can use the tatoo kit on the kids while they are waiting. Kind of like face painting, only I would do it on an arm or hand--with parents permission of course. This pleases mom, and may interest her in the tatoo kit for the kids, and something else for herself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 AM   #236  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyanaView Post
Craft fairs can be a great time to sell premade items or take orders, or book workshops. The orders and workshops can obviously help you make your minimums, and the money you make from the premade items can be used to purchase things from Stampin' Up! that you can use in your business--items that you purchase, other than business supplies, are added to your sales total, so it also helps you meet your minimums. I heard a good idea the other day (From a convention goer if I remember right). She said that at craft fairs, while the moms are looking at your stuff, you can use the tatoo kit on the kids while they are waiting. Kind of like face painting, only I would do it on an arm or hand--with parents permission of course. This pleases mom, and may interest her in the tatoo kit for the kids, and something else for herself!
Good point about the craft fairs! Also, remember that this time of year there will be TONS of craft fairs going on everywhere!

I also wanted to say about the hostess benefits, that is what draw a LOT of people to SU! Many other direct sales companies make the demo pay for these items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #237  

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
Yes, thank you!

So what if you don't make that quota either? (I'm worried because I don't know too many people yet.)
If you don't make it by the end of your pending month (which in this case would be January - which includes a new catalogue!), then you are dropped. You can sign up again anytime by buying a new starter kit.

Remember - all your purchases count towards your minimum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #238  

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
If you don't make it by the end of your pending month (which in this case would be January - which includes a new catalogue!), then you are dropped. You can sign up again anytime by buying a new starter kit.

Remember - all your purchases count towards your minimum.
I thought that there was a 6 months waiting period before you could sign up again, but I may be thinking of something else.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #239  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. LouisView Post
I thought that there was a 6 months waiting period before you could sign up again, but I may be thinking of something else.
If you keep the same upline, there is no waiting period. If you want to switch uplines, you must wait 6 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #240  

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
If you keep the same upline, there is no waiting period. If you want to switch uplines, you must wait 6 months.
ahhh...I knew I had read about 6 month waiting period somewhere. Thanks for the clarification.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes