Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #361  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

May I ask what an ATG is??? I am definitly an addict to stuff!!! I have way too much paper, scissors (remember when they were the thing??) I have a BIA and have used it 1 time, but I do like it... hhmmm it took me a year to pull it out of the box... lol., eyelets, I never use them and have tons!!!
I also work full time and don't have a lot of time to do much,

also, anyone have a dreamkuts?? have been considering that one, have 3 fiscars cutters and none cut straight!!! also this is my first time posting anything!!!

Last edited by mswillie65; 09-19-2008 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: miss speeled words
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #362  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswillie65View Post
May I ask what an ATG is??? I am definitly an addict to stuff!!! I have way too much paper, scissors (remember when they were the thing??) I have a BIA and have used it 1 time, but I do like it... hhmmm it took me a year to pull it out of the box... lol., eyelets, I never use them and have tons!!!
I also work full time and don't have a lot of time to do much,

also, anyone have a dreamkuts?? have been considering that one, have 3 fiscars cutters and none cut straight!!! also this is my first time posting anything!!!
Hi and welcome welcome welcome! An ATG is a sticky-tape-putter-downer-hand-held-gizmo that professional framers use when they make mats for your pictures. Alot of scrappers and card makers use the ATG because I believe when you do the math, the cost of the tape is substantially lower than buying Dots, Snail or Creative Memories tape. Here's a link for you to check it out at:

http://www.framingsupplies.com/3M/3MATGTape.htm

Welcome and your post is cute! I DO remember when sissors were 'the' thing! Ugly layouts in my albums remind me.....oh and I have a few dozen of those sissors too....I do regret buying those!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #363  
Glitter Queen

Smile

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #364  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I have a Dreamkuts and I love, love, love it! I use it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #365  
Mad Swapper

I would say that there are some things I bought but, really can't say I regret buying b/c alot of the time, it's all they had out or all I could afford at that particular moment. I don't use my lightbox anymore..........I have an MM eyelet setter kit that I used a LOT until I finally gave in and bought a Crop-a-dile. No going back there....LOL and I would NEVER part with my CB. :mrgreen:

HOWEVER, that said....I think the biggest waste of money that I've spent is the EK Success Fastenater with the staples. (4 pkgs of them!) ugh....used it MAYBE twice. I think it looks tacky or else I'm just not using it right.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #366  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirolivesView Post
I DO remember when sissors were 'the' thing! Ugly layouts in my albums remind me.....oh and I have a few dozen of those sissors too....I do regret buying those!!!!

Ooooooh yeah! ME TOO! I have 13 pairs.....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #367  
Glitter Queen

Smile decisions decisions dreankuts or atg??

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirolivesView Post
Hi and welcome welcome welcome! An ATG is a sticky-tape-putter-downer-hand-held-gizmo that professional framers use when they make mats for your pictures. Alot of scrappers and card makers use the ATG because I believe when you do the math, the cost of the tape is substantially lower than buying Dots, Snail or Creative Memories tape. Here's a link for you to check it out at:

[

Welcome and your post is cute! I DO remember when sissors were 'the' thing! Ugly layouts in my albums remind me.....oh and I have a few dozen of those sissors too....I do regret buying those!!!!
very nteresting that ATG,... considering it also!!! it is okay for cardmaking right?? is it heavy or hard to handle??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #368  
Insane Embellisher

Not heavy or hard to handle at all. I do have trouble using it on way small embellishment though. I still use my snail for those cause I can't quite figure out how to get the ATG on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #369  
Glitter Queen

Smile

this sounds awful, but does it stay stuck??:-D sometimes I have a problem with the other adhesives staying stuck lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #370  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

very nteresting that ATG,... considering it also!!! it is okay for cardmaking right?? is it heavy or hard to handle??
for its size, it is surprisingly light weight. if the item i'm working with is very small or an awkward tape, i might just use something else. but, primarily i use (and love) my atg. for what i was spending on tape runners, i could buy refills to last me several years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #371  
Die Cut Diva

I had to laugh at the post about the "scissors." Yes, all of my layouts from years ago are just cut in stupid shapes with funky edges scissors. I wish I could have that time-frame back. Everything that I've bought since my reintroduction to scrapbooking about a year and a half ago, I love and use. I try to think of how much I will use it, and use those scrapping dollars to get the most bang for my buck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #372  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

this sounds awful, but does it stay stuck??:-D sometimes I have a problem with the other adhesives staying stuck lol...
It is my lifesaver. $ saved in refills goes without saying, refills are 36 or 60 yards so that can really last. It is super easy and light weight to use. I have MS and arthritis and this is the easiest runner I have found. I definately stays stuck and can compare to redline tape for sealing pockets and any other hard to stick items. It also has refills in 1/4, 1/2 or an inch so you can pick how wide you want the tape to be or switch it out for a smaller line of adhesive. I buy my refills on ebay and it comes to about $0.05 a foot for the 1/2 refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #373  
Glitter Queen

Default ATG

Well, I am glad yall let me know of the ATG... I just ordered one!!lol
the 3m 714 1/4 in hope that is the right one!!! earlier someone sent me a link for framingsupplies.com... great website and the least expensive!!!
Thanks so much for for all the help...

:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #374  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well, I am glad yall let me know of the ATG... I just ordered one!!lol
the 3m 714 1/4 in hope that is the right one!!! earlier someone sent me a link for framingsupplies.com... great website and the least expensive!!!
Thanks so much for for all the help...

:-D
That is where I bought mine and my moms. Out of my stamping group of 20+ we paid less than everyone else for the same product. I started with 1/4" refills but have recently switched to 1/2" refills. It will take some time to figure out which size fits your style best.

Congrats on the new toy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #375  
Pearl-ExPert

It is good to see others have regrets too. I went through my room not too long ago and it earned me a $350 credit at my LSS after selling it at a garage sale. I think this thread really shows how we all live and learn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #376  
Stazon Splitcoast

mswillie65, I got my ATG from framingsupplies.com also and just ordered refills for it yesterday. There was a thread awhile back about the SNAIL adhesive giving out over time so when I use it now I'm paranoid and lay down a lot of it ~ and I only used it because I ran out of tape for my ATG! The ONLY thing that's hard for me with the ATG is where to set it down in my small workspace LOL!! It's easy peasy to use.

Also, I don't know what the Dreamkut is myself, but I've been using a Fiskars track cutter and just yesterday I read here about a Tonic cutter. I googled it and went to a blog and it said that it's the same one sold by SU ~ and got many rave reviews. It's a guillotine cutter and it made me a little nervous to consider that ~ but there are finger guards and it apparently makes super sharp and straight cuts. I am getting well fed-up with the track cutter pulling to one side and replacing the blades all the time. I'll be ordering the guillotine cutter in the SU catalog next month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #377  
Glitter Queen

Default Tonic or Dreamkuts???

Well another decision, after looking around, tonic or dreamkuts cutter??
also anyone know the best place to buy a tonic??:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #378  
Polyshrink Goddess

I regret my cricut and am looking at selling it. I also have a cutterbee (?) circle cutter thing with glass mat. thing is huge and I really have only used it once. I really don't scrapbook anymore and am thinking about getting rid of all the scrapbook supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #379  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
the only thing i really regret buying is the DCWV paper stacks...

they match pretty much NOTHING SU!
(i have like 5 of them)

i am very selective now when i buy non SU! paper & CS

i still want several of the things that OTHERS regret buying... goes to show you TO EACH HIS OWN!

kinda like 'i wish i had curly hair' or 'i wish i weren't so tall'

I have found this to be so true! I love the DCWV stacks, and when Joann's would have them on half price, I always found one I wanted. But, I can't seem to find any SU cardstock to match, so that definitely limits what I can do with the paper. I have resolved not to buy any more. I even gave some away to a lady on freecycle who posted that all of her stuff had been lost in a flood. Can you imagine?
Anyway, I regret the silent setter. It came in a zip up case that broke the first time I tried to zip it closed. I exchanged it for a new one, which I have never used. Now the cropadile does it for me.
I usually think for a long time before I buy anything, so I don't really buy on impulse unless it's on clearance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #380  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you! Thank you all! This has been even better reading than "Things newbies need to know" thread. I just join on to SU (got my starter kit yesterday!) but have stuff from CM 10+ years ago and everything I have bought in between then. I just set up a large craft area in my basement so I can finally have place for everything where I can see it and hopefully use it so I'll have to get back to you on my regrets.
I don't like reading how often Big Bites, MM Tag Makers, and Fastenators are listed because of course I have those too. LOL I can't believe I even though of buying the "torn edge" tool. Now that I read the regrets it does seem so dumb! We need a support group to run our purchases by.
I am curious why people don't like/use the rollers. What difference does it make to have them cut off? I just got the spider one to run over my kids lunch bags for fun but like the Scandinavian one in the new mini too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #381  
Polyshrink Goddess

I regret buying the Papertrey Ink pads. With the exception of a few they don't remain true to color. I won't ever buy another.

I also regret buying a few of the stamps I own. Other than that I am happy with everything in my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #382  
Mad Swapper

I regret my lightbox and all of the dry embossing stencils and the Fiskars embossing plates.. love the Cuttlebug embossing folders! I also regret buying a stamp a majig, especially since I have gone completely unmounted, and don't need it anymore because I can get perfect placement with my acrylic blocks.

I regret a lot of the old DP packs and cheap CS I bought when I first started out stamping/scrapbooking. I never use the fibers anymore, but they still occupy precious space. I regret my Sizzix sidekick and all the sizzlets. I have a ZipeMate die cut machine which works great for me, but I wish I held out a little longer and got the Cuttlebug instead. Much smaller footprint. Oh well, it still works just like the Cuttlebug. I regret my old hammer style eylet setter and my silent setter, thanks to the Crop o dile.

There are a lot of cheap acrylic stamps I regret, they are hard and poor quality that don't ink up well, or even stick to my acrylic blocks for that matter!

I couldn't live without my ATG gun and my cutterpede cutter. I love my embossing folders, Bind it All, my Xyron 900, SU markers, primas, Stickles and so much more. I'm glad my love list is longer than my regret list!

I really do want to get a Cricut, and am trying to decide between the Expression and the Cricut Create. I guess I need to head over to that thread and see which one is preferred, and by the looks of this thread, head over to the BST forum. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #383  
Stazon Splitcoast

Crop a Dile
Light Box
Nestabilities
Wizard
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #384  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh - and the Scor Pal ... I've never used it. Had to have it :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #385  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamperView Post
Crop a Dile
Light Box
Nestabilities
Wizard
I don't have a light box or Wizard to regret , but I love my Nesties. I gotta know why you regret getting yours?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #386  
Matboard Maniac

I am laughing so hard at this!!! I do this at least once a week, but still, I just HAD to have all of their ink pads...Don't regret it, but sure do wish I could get the hang of opening & closing these things!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
I haven't cut myself on an ink pad, but I have inked myself up good and proper trying to reattach the !@#$% lids when they come off!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #387  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty2004View Post
my quickutz! it has spent more time in the box it came in than dracula on a sunny day!
Love your sense of humor!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #388  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8View Post
OMGosh! I can't believe people are saying Pearl Ex! I love the stuff and have every colour.

Probably I regret Carl Punches... they're just nowhere near as nice to use as the SU! ones. And 'picture' type punches... I find that regular shapes like squares and circles are the best. Also the Shapeboss... oh man, I tried and tried and although it works well, the results never really looked that elegant.

Angela
www.angelasargeant.com
What do you do with your PearlEX powders? Like....how do you use them? I have a bunch of them and they just sit there. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #389  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujxm048View Post
I regret my cricut and am looking at selling it. I also have a cutterbee (?) circle cutter thing with glass mat. thing is huge and I really have only used it once. I really don't scrapbook anymore and am thinking about getting rid of all the scrapbook supplies.
Oh, but if you make cards now, you can use pretty much all of your scrapping supplies on cards. Check out some of the samples out there.... cut circles, die cuts, borders, all over the place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #390  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My big regrets are Pearl Ex and my Fasten-ator. I sold the PE and I think I'll fish out the fastenator and all the little staple thingies that go with it and give it to one of my family when they're here next month. I like to know my unwanteds might have another chance at life!
And honestly I just can't embrace the heat & stick powder... I know if I spent some time and effort I would prolly like it, but...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #391  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't believe in regret...there are things I dislike and don't use tho.

I don't like Stampin Up ink...thank goodness I don't have much but what I do have...I never use.

Alphabet stamps - very rarely do I use them..I hate lining them up...and I seem to have way too many sets. I much rather cut out letters or use my printer.

Rubber Stamps - Not a fan...I much prefer the clear

Deco edge scissors - never use them..just have them for when I host crops at my house

Quickutz Alphabet dies - I only use one font...the others are too tedious to deal with.

Pattern Paper Stacks - I am a paper snob...only like certain brands of pattern paper and it needs to be thick (like basic grey for example) I use my stacks now to make envelopes

My Around the Block Paper Tagger and my MM Tag Curler - I waited to late to return them...both are brand new in the box
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #392  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujxm048View Post
I agree with you there - that cutterbee circle cutter thing never worked for me!! What a huge waste - but maybe not my worst purchase.. I'll have to think on that one! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 AM   #393  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have to agree that the cheap cardstock and papers I wish I didn't have, funny, but I LOVE some of the other peoples regrets...if you all want to send me your regrets...I'll take them...LOL!! Like the Cricut, the Nesties, the SU stamp pads...etc, etc...I LOVE it all!! It has been intersting reading these as I can be an impulse buyer!

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #394  
Cardstock Collector

In a weird way i regret buying a lot of my card making stuff as I feel like i have hardly anytime to craft at the moment and it is just sitting there getting dusty. So after this post I am gonna do a small amount of house work then dust down the old table and make some cards.

I do have one thing that i can say for definite that i know in my heart of heart i really didn't need but i got it anyways is my cricut. I hate to say it but i can't afford at the moment to buy the cartridges as i feel they are very expensive in the uk and sadly it just sits on my shelf gathering dust.

Also when i started card making i would see a technique and buy everything i could with it but unfortunately that is a problem i seem to have that i see something i like then i go overboard so i have 100's of paper-strips for iris folding (gone off that technique now not my thing) and flowers that i just really don't know how to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #395  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmmm...I can't say that I truly regret buying anything because I end up using it all eventually. But, there are some things that just aren't as wonderful as I thought they'd be:

1. Those trays with the funnel at the end for catching embossing powder and returning it to the jar (Ugh...I CANNOT this of what they are called right now). I can never get all of the powder out of the tray and end up contaminating the next color. Coffee filters work so much better!

2. That big huge stack of paper I bought at Costco last year.

3. I have a bunch of Fiskars border punches that I rarely use because they won't punch through heavy cardstock.

4. Chalks. I already had a set of Artist's pastels...what was I thinking?

That's it, and given the $1000's of dollars I've probably spent on this hobby, I guess that ain't bad. :rolleyes:
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 AM   #396  
Compulsive Stamper

Some stamps I purchased at Hobby Lobby and Walmart when I first started stamping, stickers, fibers and cardstock from Hobby Lobby that came in packs. I had a few tools I never used but I sold those when my LSS had a garage sale. I think the biggest waste of money was paper and stickers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #397  
Embossing Fanatic

Hmmm...I also get rid of my regrets. I tend to purge the scrap room every 3-4 months and pass on/sell those things that I won't use.

My biggest regrets are:

1. CTMH stamps--don't really like them and they give me a cruddy image.
2. The huge number of ink pads--SU, CTMH, Palette, etc. 95%+ of the time I use VersaMagic chalk ink (I have all 36 colors), or Staz-On black or brown.
3. A few SU stamp sets, but not too many. I've learned to look at the set in the catty for a long time before buying. I tend to buy the tools first.
4. Haven't used my huge Circle Cutter...yet.
5. Hated the Scor-It that didn't score straight. Gave it away and bought Scor-Pal.
6. A few bottles of Prima flowers--I don't really like flowers that much...
7. Cheap, postbound scrapbook albums.
8. Definitely agree on the cheap PP and stacks--what was I thinking???
9. Fiskars hand-held circle punches. They either broke or didn't cut a round circle.

Things I don't regret:
1. The SU punches in the basic shapes/sizes. Use these ALL THE TIME and they are the only kind I've bought that don't seem to ever jam or break.
2. Nice photo printer.
3. Wide format printer.
4. I have a Cricut Expression that's still in the box. Don't regret it yet, but I need to USE it!

And I'm currently lusting after the Nestabilities and a Big Shot or Wizard to use them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #398  
Matboard Maniac

For my cousin's wedding I used Rose Red and Vanilla cardstock for her invitations. After being short on cardstock at first, I waaaaayyy over ordered. I have 10 unopened packs of Rose Red and Vanilla 12x12 and at least 4 pack of 8 1/2x 11 in Vanilla and Rose Red. I think I know what colors I'll be using this christmas... and next christmas... and the year after that...

Other tools on hiatus from use:
1) Versa mark marker
2) a cheap ribbon holder
3) a similar ribbon holder stampin up offered
6) early stamp sets

Love:
1) the stampin mist
2) a large fiskars trimmer
3) ATG
4) markers
5) heat gun
6) stampin up paper snips and rubber scissors
7) Crafters Tool Kit
Versa mark
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #399  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC DesignsView Post
A wooden ribbon holder. It is very impractical. You have to remove the dowel rod and all of the surrounding rolls of ribbon each time you want to remove one roll of ribbon. I'm thinking the gutter is a better idea!
I love my gutters!! I have 7 of them full of ribbon...not 7 full gutters, 7 chunks that are 2.5" long. The best part of it was dealing with the dorks at Lowes when I wanted them to cut it! They think women don't know anything and are gullible. I'd had some cut before and needed more. The guy that time told me they can't cut it because the blade would just chew the gutter into bits. Uh, then how come it worked great last time?? :rolleyes:

Another upside? They're cheap, and if you mount them on pegboard, you can move then if need be. I have a closeup in my gallery showing exactly how we hung them.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #400  
Die Cut Diva

This has been the best thread. I started reading through a few days ago and didn't think at first that I had many regrets. I just kept reading and reading and made a big list of stuff I didn't use and didn't want anymore. I took photos and loaded a whole bunch of it on ebay. There's someone out there dying to get this stuff that's just collecting dust. My theory is that if I bought it years ago and it is still unopened, time for the bay.

You know what's selling like crazy, getting tons of bids? My brass templates!! I'm thrilled because I thought I'd never get back what I paid. If you have something that won't sell for much, put a bunch of stuff together into a big lot, it will always sell, especially stuff like fibers. I also like donating stuff, but not if they won't know what it is and what it does and it will end up in the trash.

I'm so thankful I started reading this! I love getting rid of clutter, but I seem to be better at finding new ways to stash more clutter neatly out of site. :rolleyes:

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes