Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card stamping as a ministry

I'm looking to start up a card stampng ministry at my church but I don't know where to begin. I would welcome any advice, past experiences or websites that you have.
Thanks!
Barb Beail
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

http://www.stampinthings.com/

The lady who has the above website, named Sue, runs a card ministry through her church. She sells those wooden stamp pad holders on her website and I bought some from her and we kind of struck up a little friendship. I believe what she does is come up with samples, then holds a stamp camp and ladies come and make the cards. I think they make 4 for the ministry and then make one for themself, or something like that.

Anyway, she's very easy to talk to, if you go to her website and email her I'm sure she'd give you some tips. I think she's been doing it quite awhile so probably can give you good advice.

Also Barb, a big welcome, I see this is your first post!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love the idea. I haven't had a chance to begin one at my church. What I would do is have a theme each month and everyone who comes would make cards relating to that theme. Also, I would include a short Bible study that goes along with the theme. I like things simple.

The cards could also be donated or sent to those in need. Or they could be sold and the money used to enhance the ministry and those in need.

I find making cards really brings out the best in people... both male and female.

If you're interested in doing a scrapbooking ministry, there are a few books to do a Bible study with.

Good luck and I pray God blesses you for your serving heart and your ministry with much spiritual success.

mm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been keeping the idea of a card ministry in the back of my mind for a while now......it hadn't occured to me to post it here for ideas. Thank you for doing it and keep us posted on what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

My mom does a card ministry for 2 nursing homes in her area. She makes them birthday cards, Easter cards, Christmas cards - probably making them Valentine cards. She's always making cards for them. I know one has 87 members, not sure of the other one...but she says these people are lonely and receiving a card brightens their day. Then she makes for people at the church too. I think she does the card ministry from herself, not sure if she says it is from the church or not.

Anyways - this is a nice card ministry you can do out of the goodness of your heart. There would probably be no sales benefit from it if that is what you are looking for, but what a great idea to brighten someone's day who probably doesn't get many visitors...

Vicki Nelson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #6  
The Digi-Freak

I just go through the prayer chain each week and send a card to people who need one

Good luck with it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

My Mother-in-law also does help out with the card ministry in her church, which is a HUGE church - she gets a list from someone on who needs cards, baby cards, get well cards or sympathy cards, addresses them and drops them off at the church. I'm sure she isn't the only one making cards, but she normally has a handful to do every week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 189 Likes on 156 Posts

I started one at my church in August. That's the reason I became a demo; to support this ministry. We work in coordination with our CARE ministry. They let us know what they need. I started it off with donating about 70 cards of all different kinds so they'd have many to send out. We meet the third Wednesday of each month and I bring a card to make. We all do an assembly line technique to make the cards and write a little note inside. We also do the envys with a stamp or two. These cards are sent to people in the church as well as 30 homebound people who truly love being remembered by their church family. Since August we've made: staff appreciation, sympathy, baby, confirmation, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's Day cards for shut-ins. We're considering putting a bulletin board up to advertise our presence. That way people could see what we do and possible pave the way to selling these at church to people or it would help people see what we do and make them want to join in. I know in our case, we feel that we are being ministered to as much as those receiving the cards. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to help.
Sue
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW - this sounds awesome. I make cards to give the worship team and the pastor, and such to help them feel appreciated. So often they hear all the bad stuff, but never get any praise!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

several of us stampers make baptism birthday cards for the sunday school age kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been involved in two different card ministries. For the first one, I made all the adult birthday cards and anniversary cards for the church we attended at that time. I gave the completed cards to the pastor's son ( a young adult), who was in charge of sending cards to the various members. He supplied (store bought) cards for the kids and anytime we needed a get well card or a sympathy card. The church office would reimburse me for any extra supplies I would need to make the cards (I didn't ask, they offered).

In our current church, I am one of 3 or 4 crafters who make cards for the church office to send out. Our cards are always blank inside, so the secretary, pastor or whomever, can write their own sentiment. As a group, we don't gather specifically to work on these cards, we just make them on our own and supply the office as needed.

Have fun and let us know how it all works for you - I know you will be blessed for your generous spirit !

kimB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2006, 05:11 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

One thing to keep in mind is it is sometimes hard to get things going. So don't get disappointed if it doesn't take off the way that you want.

I started a group at my church but it became a lot of work for me. The gals that I had coming were all excited to stamp, but they were all beginners. I was the one who brought the samples and ideas and all of the supplies each time we gathered. Each time we met, I never really knew who to expect or how many.

I loved the chance to meet new people and do something to give back to the church community, but I got burnt out real quick.

Do some talking around to see if there is an interest and look for other stampers at your church to see if they are willing and able to help you get it started.

just my 2 cents,
Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

We have a great small group/card ministry we call Paper Nets (we use paper to be "fishers of men" hee hee). We divide the responsibilities among three of us (so no one is overwhelmed). We meet at one woman's house (Jennie) once a month. She provides something to nibble on for us. Another woman, Stacy, gets together the supplies to make two or three different cards. She has everything cut for us (although you wouldn't necessarily need to do that). We all pay three dollars to make two of each of the two or three designs. The money is used to cover Stacy's expenses for paper and embellishments. We take home one of each design, and donate one of each to our church note writers. Sometime during the evening, I lead prayer. We have a blast. We have people come who don't go to our church (or any church), just because they want to learn to stamp. Our lead note-writer says getting our monthly delivery of cards is like Christmas!

If you have any questions, I'd love to talk more with you. It's been a great experience for us. God bless your efforts!
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Default Card ministry

I too am starting a card ministry at church. Before I started asking questions, I did a search in the forums to see what others may be doing and found this thread. Thanks for the ideas.
Our first meeting will be in a couple of weeks. I'm really nervous about what do to. It's too early for Easter. Too late for Valentine's day. I thought about having them made cards to have on hand to send to people that visit our church. I really liked the idea of keeping cards on hand to send to someone who needs it. Maybe some encouraging or thinking of you. ???What to do????
When I asked my ladies group about the interest in it, I took some supplies to make door hangers for our visitation program. We made about 40, but we were there until midnight. The pastor liked them and I even had another church ask me to make some different ones for them to give out to visitors of their church. On one Saturday, during the visitation program, my husband gave one to a couple. She fell in love with it and seems really interested because of it. The card reads: You're invited where Love blooms. We used the daisy punch, with brad, and a lot of other christian stamps. I made them with 2 pockets in them. One for a printed card of church service times, etc. and the other pocket for the pastors business card. ONe lady in the church loves to sew. So, she sewed all of the pockets together for us. We also put a magnet on the back and my husband suggested we add a ribbon to hang it on the doorknob if no one was at home. It was funny one day when he was out visiting, the people did not have a handle on the door to hang it on, so he used the magnet to put on the garage door. Isn't God grand!
We too have a special friend of the week that is put in the bulletin that everyone can send a card to. However, my eldery mother is on the list. When it comes her turn she usually only gets 2-6 cards.
My main question is the funding. I hate to ask the church for the money. We are a small church. Only about 75-100 attends. So, for now I'm just asking for donations to purchase supplies with. So far I have received $50. I bought postage stamps, glue sticks, and am waiting for other donations. One lady said she is going to get some supplies from an out of business printing company. I'm waiting on that before I purchase card stock etc. We have also had donations of decorative scissors and decorative scrapbook paper.
I feel if it is truly God's will this will make a go. If not it won't.
I am a SU demo and it worries me that some people will think I'm doing it to try to make money. I had this ministry in my mind way before I became a demo. So far the only thing of SU that I have used is inks and the daisy punch, which I am going to furnish anyway. I just love the idea of making someones day. I know my mother loves to get them. She says it's like Christmas when she goes to the mailbox. I have been sending them to our special friends, just on my own when their name comes up. They always love them so much and are so appreciative, some will even send a thank you card back.
Again, thanks for all the tips. Keep sending them. I'm sure the rest of us card ministers would love to hear how your card ministry is going too. Linda :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Wow, I didn't realize that so many people were using cards as a ministry! I recently changed churches. My former church was huge, and I was a care group leader in my adult Sunday School class, as well as a Sunday School teacher to second grade boys. I made cards to send to my care group and postcards to send to my boys each month. My new church is considerably smaller. I have agreed to serve as the coordinator for recognition of birthdays and anniversaries. I send our pastor a weekly email to let him know who's "coming up", and I send cards to each individual/couple. I am making all of the cards myself and incurring all of the cost. That works for me because I can crank out cards pretty quickly. Good luck - it's amazing how a card can make someone's day!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I was given a lot of wallpaper sample books and we used the wallpaper like you would use printed scrapbook paper. It works great and comes in coordinating colors. It isn't acid free, but that isn't usually critical for a card. Check with wallpaper stores or Home Depot to find out how and when they give them away. We made some really pretty valentines with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At my former church, we had a core group of about 6-10 ladies who would get together every month to stamp. We always had a theme, and we'd even teach each other new techniques or just have a make and take for everyone. We made cards and craft projects for the homebound in the congregation, and then those homebound visitors would take them their gifts. We tried to have something for them every other month. It was a nice ministry and fun for everyone!

mary rose
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Hi **waving** Barb -welcome to SCS!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
Wow, I didn't realize that so many people were using cards as a ministry! I recently changed churches. My former church was huge, and I was a care group leader in my adult Sunday School class, as well as a Sunday School teacher to second grade boys. I made cards to send to my care group and postcards to send to my boys each month. My new church is considerably smaller. I have agreed to serve as the coordinator for recognition of birthdays and anniversaries. I send our pastor a weekly email to let him know who's "coming up", and I send cards to each individual/couple. I am making all of the cards myself and incurring all of the cost. That works for me because I can crank out cards pretty quickly. Good luck - it's amazing how a card can make someone's day!
Lisa you are a gem! What a sweet thing to do!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes