Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Need a Lift? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/need-lift-f63/)
-   -   How to Win Friends and Influence People (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/need-lift-f63/how-win-friends-influence-people-t43376.html)

momofmany 07-31-2005 12:38 PM

thank so much. I so appreciate your time. I'm starting here. How do I bump? and what is that? I want to joing RAK but don't know how. I'm having a great time and I think that most stampers are kind people who love to share talents. I haven't met a greedy one yet. YEEEAAAH

CardFanatic 01-22-2006 12:19 PM

I found a link to this on another thread. I thought I'd give it a friendly *BUMP* to the top :)

StacyBeth 01-22-2006 01:35 PM

subscribing to read later

tenmonkey 01-22-2006 02:30 PM

Hi Jami...Thank you for this post. I do know for me--I am the "Shy" one. It is hard get out there---but I will try more. Thanks again...

onestampinmama 01-23-2006 08:18 PM

You can be crazy like me and organize a SCS get together!! I did the Portland Regionals and got to know a lot of you!!!!

Jami 01-23-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onestampinmama
You can be crazy like me and organize a SCS get together!! I did the Portland Regionals and got to know a lot of you!!!!

And what a great job you did!

LovinTX 01-24-2006 04:41 AM

Thanks Jami for your wonderful post. I noticed it was posted in April of '05 and I just saw it for the first time today! What great advice!

Hugs from Houston!

Hotmommiesk 01-24-2006 01:37 PM

For a "newbie" working her way around everything, this was great to hear. THANKS!!! It gave me some great infro and I love that! Thanks!!!
~~working on the picture thing~~

tenmonkey 01-24-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onestampinmama

I wanna play next time!! :D

SkisInOkinawa 01-24-2006 03:11 PM

Thank you so very much for starting this thread! It should definitely be a sticky!!

I think it would help those who are new to message boards get a better understanding of the cyber-life of a MB and how it lives.

I think this is a wonderful place to hang out. I love listening to eveyone's points-of-view and getting to know people. It makes me feel good that someone may get something of value by something I posted, that my piece of advice may have made a difference in someone's life.

My main advice would be to keep it real. Be yourself, respect others, stay positive and it will all come back to you. Keep in mind that everyone has their own opinions and are entitled to them and it's certainly ok to disagree. We all were raised differently, have different cultures, values, ethnicity, religion/non-religion, backgrounds etc. and everyone posts from their own points-of-view based on their life experiences. At the same time realize not everyone may want to be your friend or even like you. And it's OK!

You've made great points! I will make it a point to find at least 3 cards in the gallery with no posts and post on them daily and post to welcome newbies. I do try and post something on someone's thread if they have no replies or very few comments, even if I have nothing to offer.

I'm off to add my name to my siggy and do some more posting!

Thanks for posting this thread!:)

tenmonkey 01-24-2006 03:22 PM

"My main advice would be to keep it real. Be yourself, respect others, stay positive and it will all come back to you. At the same time realize not everyone may want to be your friend or even like you. And it's OK!"

http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/c012.gif

This is Great and True. Even tho we would like everyone to like us and be friends(at least I do)--sometimes it just isn't in the cards. I have a hard time striking up conversations with people that I don't know. I feel like I come off like an idiot(probably do because I ramble do to being nervous and scared). I would love to get to know you guys and have friendships! :)

breeze7 01-24-2006 07:48 PM

Excellent ideas. Joining the secret sisters goup has really been a key to developing some close friendships for me. :o

ndeelou 01-25-2006 02:57 AM

Good post (but I still don't have all the bells and whistles of the avatar and sig and whatnots or scanner for the gallery so I will have a story.. ) hey you didn't think this was gonna be SHORT did you??

One of my best scs friends ( just kidding chris you ARE the best!!) was a thread I replied to last year from an off topic of course post asking for parenting advice. Now why did I even respond as the OP had a newborn a teen and a three and four year old? I had a grown teen and a pregnant dd! soon to have my newborn grand daughter. but who better to advise or basically say this too shall pass and the friendship went on from there.

There have been a couple more who have been shorter lived and some swaps that have turned out great and some friends I have turned on to SCS And many cards from the gallery we have passed back and forth thru email for inspiration (or at least admiration "here is the card somebody else made but *I* thought of you)

so um what was the question?
Oh yeah post. ask questions. use your pm, comment in the gallery , join a swap, and play nice.

xo
betsy

PenelopePitstop 01-26-2006 08:06 PM

yea!!

a happy thread!

I've learned to not take it personally along the way. I know that there are weeks that go by that I don't even lurk at the forums and then for a week I have a comment on everything.

I tend to look for posts by emily and kimberly (ya know the real sistahs) for the lamest of all reasons... I am also a real redhead. oh, and I love their humor.

but that doesn't mean that I don't scan other posters and pray and lift up people in prayer regularly. I just don't always reply when others have said what I would say also.

Jami 02-16-2006 10:28 AM

bump :D

redapron 02-17-2006 06:35 AM

Wonderful stuff in this thread! Thanks, Jami for starting it.

thought it needed another bump and I didn't want to just say "bump"!

BsmtScrapper 03-15-2006 06:12 AM

Taking Your Advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenmonkey
[COLOR="Green"
I have a hard time striking up conversations with people that I don't know. I feel like I come off like an idiot(probably do because I ramble do to being nervous and scared). I would love to get to know you guys and have friendships! :) [/COLOR]

This how I feel too. Sometimes I feel like a dope, but I keep trying. I hope to make some more friends who have the same interests as me. Since my sisters really don't.

I just added my name to my signature... trying to take your EXCELLENT advice. Thanks to everyone who added comments to this original post. :)

hgh 03-16-2006 12:53 PM

Jami, excellent advice, i'm fairly new to this site and love love love it! I found out not to long ago about posting, what a great thing! I found out by accident, is there somewhere on this site that explains about posting, threads ect? I'm still not sure what everything is & means. You are right this is an awesome community and feel very blessed to be a part of it. Can't wait to learn more about how everything works! Have a great day!

Jami 03-16-2006 01:02 PM

Have you seen this thread?

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128547

If there is newbie info that you think we should include there please let me or Keri know. Thanks!

hgh 03-17-2006 07:36 AM

Great advice! I just posted a bio on myself W/ picture of me & my daughter. I look forward to being an active member of this awesome community!

hgh 03-17-2006 07:42 AM

Thank you Jami, very very helpful!

racey 03-17-2006 05:44 PM

Thanks so much for this thread!
I wish you all a wonderful happy weekend!

Tracey

scrapstampindiva 03-30-2006 06:22 AM

these are really great ideas to become more familiar with the site and to start making friends..............thanks so much for the tips :D

AmyR 04-07-2006 10:00 PM

Can't believe I never saw this thread before!! EXCELLENT advice Jami!!! :D

Cindylking 04-19-2006 06:14 AM

This is great!

Rebecca 1 04-20-2006 07:50 PM

I think if there is ever a day this needs bumped...today would be the day.

SUPER BUMP!

stampmouse 04-20-2006 07:53 PM

great post.

applecore 04-21-2006 06:36 AM

Hi Jami:
Thanks for the reminder to treat others as we want to be treated. I'm new to SplitCoast... so I was totally surprized how quickly my first card was viewed and I really appreciated the encouraging comments... so I need to do the same for others.... especially the ones posting their first cards.

ctrmom3 04-21-2006 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the good advice Jami! I signed up at SCS as a member a year ago but just recently I've started posting a little more and am beginning to feel "integrated." I'm so excited for all the friends out there waiting to be made! Splitcoast Ladies are the BEST!!!

stampkinz 04-22-2006 02:59 AM

A bright and early Saturday morning bump! :)

sarahstampart 04-27-2006 08:41 PM

Wow! There is so much good advice here. I do feel a little overwhelmed, though. There is so much to learn, and I am afraid that I am just too "new" at so much of this that it is a bit much to try to take it all in. Guess it just takes time. I feel as if the more I learn, the more I find I have yet to learn. (Kind of like stamps- the more I get, the more I want! The wish list only gets longer, no matter how much I spend each month:o) ) I kind of want to start a gallery, but only have a few things I could put up there. Can't begin to compare with the beautiful cards posted here! I admit, I am a bit nervous to put my own up. And I did sign up to join the RAK group, but have not heard back yet. Anyone know how long it takes? And can you tell me some details about it? I really couldn't find much info, although it was suggested to me that I join and I do think I will like it, I just am curious to know a bit more.
Yes, this is an awesome site and I have already had contact with several wonderful people. I just hope that in time I can be as helpful to others as they have already been to me!
Sarah

LateNightScrappin 04-28-2006 07:41 PM

What a great breath of Fresh air! Great points to work on and live by!

wiggydl 08-03-2006 09:23 AM

some good ideas

Hi Jami, you make some excellent points. The whole thing is very overwhelming for me just yet but I am going to be sure to take some of your advice.

wiggydl

Kathi127 08-11-2006 05:33 PM

bumping this up again!

hedgiemama 08-11-2006 06:12 PM

I just re-read this thread. GOOD ADVICE.
The biggest thing I need to remember is to not sign on while PMS'ing....!

triciastampinVA 08-11-2006 08:37 PM

WoW !!!

Wow, this thread was started in April 2005 and I'm just now seeing it...hmmm, where have I been? LOL. All great advice points and a reminder where I have not been...commenting on others. Thanks for the reminder. I'll get busy.

Jami 08-11-2006 08:43 PM

So glad to see people enjoying the thread and keeping it bumped up.:D

tasly 08-15-2006 08:05 AM

Too funny! Here's my story:
Tricia (triciastampinVA) and I joined a couple of the same swaps a while back and began to notice each other...stalker;) We also both live in VA so that was cool too. Anyhow, we PMed each other and I enjoy seeing her face around here, familiarity KWIM??
So the funny part is that I saw on the main forum board that she had posted to someone's thread and thought..."hey, there's Tricia, long time no see". I followed the link in her sig line and found this thread:D
Thanks Jami for posting this and Tricia for bringing it back to the surface for me;)

triciastampinVA 08-15-2006 08:29 AM

Hugs {{{Sunny}}}
I replied to your PM.

:-) The circle of life never stops amazing me.

GottaLoveStampin 08-19-2006 10:17 AM

Hi! I am very new here and still learning so please be patient with me. I love to stamp and could spend all my spare time doing so. I hope to meet lots of friends here that love stampin as much as I.
It's Exciting to be here!