Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Gabfest Goddess

Default My Surgery

The time for my bi-lateral knee replacement surgery is drawing near. I go for pre-op visit this Monday, and surgery is scheduled for Nov. 14th.
I've already had a pre-hab visit from the physical therapist. She set me up with a series of exercises that I do twice a day, and checked out my home for any possible changes to be made before I come home from the hospital, such as removing scatter rugs, raising seats and bed, etc.
I'll be having a spinal, so I'll be awake during the surgery. I was concerned about being able to see and hear what's being done, but the surgeon assures me that I'll also recieve something to keep me relaxed enough not to care.
I'm not really anxious about the surgery. I guess I'm a fatalist. Whatever happens will happen. Worrying won't change anything, so why bother. I've got a good surgeon, I've done what I could to prepare, and now it's out of my hands.
I spent more than the first half of my life worrying about everything.....with age comes wisdom, I guess. It's so freeing to realize your influence on the outcome of events is limited. You do the best you can to prepare and take the proper precautions, then you can just sit back and go with the flow!
I have to get up to my stamping room and put things in order. I probably won't be able to get up there for two weeks (or more!) after surgery, and some of my stamping friends have said they'd come over and bring down anything I might need when I feel up to stamping again. I want it to be somewhat neat, so they can find things! LOL!
Cleaning my room is going to be a challenge for me. As I've said before, I start with every good intention, then get side-tracked and start stamping, making an even bigger mess!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-05-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
Stamp'n In The Light

Hang in there girlfriend. All of your sistas will be praying for you. As for the stamp room clean up, don't worry about it. Your friends rooms are probably just a mess too.

My Blog - Stamping In The Light
Old 11-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I can totally relate to your stamp room situation. I'm soooo there myself. Just get your most basic supplies and put them in a basket that can be brought to you. My husband's uncle had that surgery and recovered very well - said it was the best thing he'd ever done - felt so much better after it was over. I hope it is the same for you.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
PAPER SCAPER

Good luck with the knee surgery! I'm going to miss your cards appearing in the gallery so I hope you're up and feeling well again soon after...just so I can enjoy!
Jami's and Raduse are right about the stamp room, just keep the basics handy. For me they would have to get me upstairs and bring me food and my life would be happy near my stamps and computer!
I do hope your computer will be where you can get at it. Keep us posted on how you're doing. I will be thinking of you!
Old 11-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Just wanted to send you cyber HUGS!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

Sounds like you have a great attitude about the surgery. I know someone who had that a year ago and he said it was a great decision, it took awhile to recover but now he feels better than he has in years.

Selfishly, I'm hoping while you are recovering you will crank out some of your fantastic cards, I love your style! Those flowers you do always catch my eye and make me oh and ah!

Best of luck and keep us posted how you are doing!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 11-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #7
The Digi-Freak

Wow! A double knee replacement!!

I will pray for your surgery to go smoothly! OUCH OUCH!!! (see, 2 ouches, one for each knee!!) And for NO comprehension of what they are doing!! That's really weird to imagine them gutting your knees while you watch!!

Kimberly

Old 11-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Hope this next week goes well for you as you make all the preparations for your surgery. It is amazing that they can give you 2 new knees!

I, too, am selfishly hoping that your recovery time is extremely productive in the stamping department! I love your stuff and hope you feel well enough to stamp and are smart enough to really take it easy. Looking forward to a good report after your surgery!

Renée

Old 11-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Crimping Master

Hi Happy Heart,

Just wanted to send hugs, prayers, and encouragement. My mom had the same exact surgery in June, and is a completely new woman now--she tells everyone she knows how glad she was to have done it. It was tough to have both knees done at once, but the results are fantastic! Good for you for being brave enough to do it! Keep us posted on how you're doing!

<>< Bethany

...Brutal Honesty Gladly Accepted!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #10
New Mommy

I'm so glad you posted an update about your surgery--that way, I don't have to bug you and send a pm Sounds like you have a great attitude--you'll have a lot of people thinking about you and wishing you a quick recovery.

Hope you're able to RUN up your stairs to your stamp room very soon!
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakimberly
That's really weird to imagine them gutting your knees while you watch!!

Kimberly

You don't watch. The anesthesiologist gives the spinal while you are awake. After an adequate level of anesthesia is achieved, you are positioned on the OR table, prepped and draped, and a curtain is put up. This "curtain" as I'll call it seperates the anesthesiologist and your head from the sterile surgical field.

After your surgeon talks with you one last time, he/she goes off to scrub and gown and your anesthesiologist gives you a nice cocktail in your IV. You'll be asleep/awake based on the anesthesiologist turning the drip rate up or down. This is partly done based on your requests and partly based on what is going on in the surgery.

Some people want to be "out" others like to ask questions. Everyone is different. I had an engineer once who wanted me to give a play my play of the surgery as well as monitor his anesthesia. Others sleep the whole time and just want to wake up in the post-op area.

Hope that gives an idea of what to expect.

I don't know what meds you are on, but you'll need to avoid "blood thinning" meds for some time prior to surgery or they won't be able to do the spinal and would have to go to general anesthesia --- check with your surgeon.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words! I've heard so many positive stories about the outcome of this surgery. I'm really looking forward to getting back into life again!
My pre-op visit went very well. I now have a much better feel for what to expect. My surgery is scheduled for 10:30 AM this coming Monday. I was told it will take four hours. Everyone I've talked to has high praise for my surgeon, so I know that I'll be in good hands.
I'll have my stamping room completely in order by this weekend. My daughter came over a few nights ago, and we got a good start on straightening it up. I need her to keep me on track....she won't let me stop in the middle of cleaning to start stamping!
I've decided to stamp up a bunch of images and spend the first days of recovery, when I'll be unable to climb stairs, coloring and cutting. I probably won't be finishing any cards until I'm able to access all my "stuff" again, so I don't think I'll be uploading for a while. I know that I'll be going through "withdrawals" during this time! With my room beckoning to me, I'll be really motivated to do my exercises!
My computer room is on the first floor, so I'll be able to see all the wonderful work everyone else will be doing and keep up with all the latest on SCS. I'm sure that will keep me from getting too down!
I'll keep you informed of any developments.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #13
The Digi-Freak

Azure, so it is basically just like a c/s? I mean, not the same incision obviously but the same type of procedure??

Hang in there Happy! I hope it all goes super smoothly!

Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #14
LOSTchick

Hello, Happy Heart!

I will pray for your surgeons, the nurses, and everyone taking care of during and after your surgery. I'll also be praying for YOU--for an easy surgery w/o complications and a quick recup. time.

Hugs,

Melissa
Old 11-09-2005, 05:30 AM   #15
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakimberly
Azure, so it is basically just like a c/s? I mean, not the same incision obviously but the same type of procedure??

Hang in there Happy! I hope it all goes super smoothly!

That depends on how you come to be having a c-section. If you are laboring for a vaginal delivery and have had an epidural, the anesthesiologist will give a higher dose of med through the epidural catheter rather than now subject you to a spinal. The epidural and spinal both anesthesize your spinal cord, but the drug goes into a different location. If you have a scheduled C section, you will likely have a spinal. Usually though, ladies want to be more awake when having a baby so we tend to sedate them less. They feel the pulling and pressure of the surgeon's hands inside your abdomen, but no pain.
C-sections don't take 4 hours either so we can keeo you a little more awake.

If you are having an emergency c section, often you get general anesthesia. General anesthesia is the fastest. It is much faster to put in an endotracheal tube and knock you out than do a procedure like a spinal.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #16
Gallery Gazer

Happy Heart,

Just now saw this thread and I wanted to let you know that I'll be praying that all goes well with your surgery and that you'll have a speedy recovery. And in the meantime, I really like your plan about stamping up a bunch of images to color and cut -- a very wise woman you are!! I'll miss your daily uploads, but I'll also be looking forward to LOTS of new stuff when you're healed. Peace & prayers, Linda.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #17
Mad Swapper

Best wishes to you Happy Heart. Just remember that movement is key to maintianing functionality and range of motion and eventual mobility. So that being said, do not be a martyr, take your pain medication at the first sign of pain. Dont wait till it gets bad. this will allow you to be faithful to your exercises. Too often people are afraid to take thier pain medication and therefore do not move as well and that can lead to a whole source of problems.
Again, the very best and I look forward to seeing your cards
Old 11-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #18
Gabfest Goddess

I got a call from the hospital yesterday, and my surgery has been re-scheduled for 1:00 instead of 10:30 AM. I can't eat anything solid after midnight, and can drink only clear liquids until 7:00 AM, then nothing at all. I'm going to be so hungry!
I was worried that I'd miss the regular evening meal, because I'll be getting back to my room so late in the day, but my daughter told me that the hospital (which has free valet parking!) now has a maitre d' on duty who will come to your room and take your meal order any time of the night or day, and it will be cooked fresh for you. I find that so bizzare! Has anyone else ever heard of anything like that?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:13 AM   #19
Gabfest Goddess

Today's the day, and I'm still not the least bit nervous. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with me! LOL!
I am a bit concerned about how I'm going to manage when I get back home, though. Of course, I'll be having visits from a visiting nurse, physical therapist, and home health aide for awhile after returning home. I have a cleaning woman once a week, and my daughter will be with me on Mondays and Tuesdays, and I'm sure I'll have my share of company during the day, but I'll still be on my own a good deal of the time. Several people have told me that they're available if I need anything, but I'm going to try not to bother anyone unless I really need to.
I don't know how long my hospital stay will be. It might only be two days. I may have to go to a re-hab facility for a few days before coming home. It's all pretty much still up in the air.
I'll be back on line as soon as I can![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-14-2005, 02:26 AM   #20
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm praying that your surgery goes well and that you make a quick and complete recovery.

We will miss you while you're gone and will be anxiously waiting for you to return to us with the news that all is well.

God bless you!

My Blog: Confessions of a Left-Brained Stamper
Design Team Member - Kitchen Sink Stamps
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005
Old 11-14-2005, 03:16 AM   #21
Die Cut Diva

Praying for a quick and easy recovery for you! Looking forward to seeing you post again real soon.
Stamping Happy! Member #4604
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #22
The Digi-Freak

Praying for you! I hope it goes well and your recovery is very smooth and as pain-free as possible!!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

Thinking of you during this time & hoping for a quick recovery!!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:49 AM   #24
Polyshrink Goddess

Happy Heart,

I dunno if you are up to being on SCS yet, but I wanted to let you know we are praying for your speedy recovery with no complications.

Hope you are doing well.

Donna (Azure722)
Old 11-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #25
Crimping Master

Happy Heart, I somehow missed this thread until now. I hope everything is going well. If you heal as well as you stamp, you'll be running marathons soon. Take care of yourself.

Mary
Old 11-22-2005, 01:08 PM   #26
Hardware Hotshot

Just found this thread too!

Hope you're doing well, feeling well, and recovering well.

When you're up to it, let us know how you are!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #27
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I just found this thread too - - -hope you're doing okay and have a speedy recovery!! You know all of here are thinking of you.

Judy
Old 11-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #28
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just want you to know that we are thinking of you and looking forward to a good report when you are able to get back on-line!

Old 12-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #29
Gabfest Goddess

Hope the surgery went well, and that you are feeling better! Hugs and prayers for a quick recovery!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Old 12-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #30
Mad Swapper

We are hoping to hear from you very soon.......praying that you are healing quickly!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 AM   #31
Stazon Splitcoast

Hoping to hear an update - is there anything somewhere else?

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2005, 06:43 AM   #32
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Happy Heart's profile shows she hasn't been on in 3 weeks.

Elaine we're all looking forward to hearing from you when your are back on-line.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #33
Mad Swapper

We miss you Happy Heart!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #34
Gabfest Goddess

First of all, I want to thank all who have been sending good thoughts my way. A special "thank you" to those who sent me such beautiful cards! It really lifted my spirits to know that others were thinking of me and wishing me well.
It looked as if things were going well after my surgery on Nov. 14. I seemed to be well on the way to a full recovery until I developed a raging infection in my right knee. That required a trip back to the hospital for a second surgery to re-open the incision and flush out the site with antibiotics. After a couple of days, I was sent home and told that I was to recieve IV antibiotic infusions twice a day for the next six weeks. For the first week I had a visiting nurse come to the house twice a day to administer the IV, but I soon learned how to do it myself, and the nurse's visits were cut to twice a week. I also have a physical therapist three times a week.
Between the antibiotics (which have tired me out!) and the pain, I haven't been able to do much.
Today is the first day that I'm not experiencing pain, so I thought I'd take the time to let everyone know how things are going.
I have one more week of IV. After that I'll know what my prognosis is. If the infection has been cleared up, things should go well, and I should be sufficiently recovered in time for our trip to Hawaii at the end of February. If the infection is still present, I don't even want to think about the next steps that would have to be taken!
Please keep me in your thoughts and send positive energy my way!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #35
PAPER SCAPER

Glad to hear from you and I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts. I had those antibiotics that way after back surgery but Wow it was only a few days, this doesn't sound like fun at all!
Keep up those positive thought for Hawaii...it'll happen!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #36
New Mommy

Smile

YAY!!! It's so good to hear from you!

I hope you continue to heal quickly and are able to run around the beaches of Hawaii!!!

*Sending lots of postive thoughts your way*
Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #37
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Elaine - so gald to hear from you!!!! So sorry you've had such a rough time. I've been really worried about you since we hadn't heard from you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:08 AM   #38
Polyshrink Goddess

Infections in the joint are sometimes hard to get rid of -- I hope the antibiotics work for you. I'm sure Hawaii will be great!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #39
Proud Fan Club Member

I am so sorry you are suffering with the infection! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Hope every day finds you closer and closer to feeling great!

Eileen
Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #40
Gallery Gazer

So glad to hear from you again, Elaine - you're missed!! I'll be thinking about you and praying for a full recovery in time for your trip. In the meantime, you can get yourself a video and start practicing those hula [arm] movements!! Linda