Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Kookie Creator

My Home Burned Down.

To my SCS Family:

I was working on my christmas cards, getting them out late, as usual, but forgot to that take them to the post office before we left on Friday for the weekend. I found most of them as charred remains on my front lawn along with most of my scrapbooking stuff.

What happened:
The dogs and us were planning on spending mini holiday up at Cordes Lakes Home, we left Friday evening hoping to beat the traffic of the skier’s heading to the mountains! While asleep that evening a call came in about 3am, from the Mesa Fired Department telling us our house was on fire; Tiger (DH) and I got dressed rushed to Mesa, leaving the kids (Tim 17 and Sara 15)and dogs in Cordes. I made it from Prescott to home in 48 minutes (usually a 70 min ride). Except for being pulled over just before the exit for the house, I the DPS officer who told me that I was doing 90 and I told him, my house is on fire, we are trying to get there. He made a call, I told him I haven’t had a ticket since I was about 18 and this is not ordinary, and he said Drive carefully the last ¾ mile. When we arrived, most of the fire was already out, they were working on the hot spots. The investigator says it started somewhere in the attic and then by the time the fire department arrived, I'm told the roof had already collapsed, and the house was fully engulfed. There was an explosion towards the back end of the kitchen/garage area, (possibly the lawn mower/generator/weed wacker stuff like that could have done it). It's a 100% total loss of our home. We have a garage in the back which was my pack rat zone, and it is pretty much all that we have to work with to possibly save, unfortunately it's mostly "junk" because there is 4inchs of water and also the window blew out. So the ladder trucks were watering it down to try to save it. On the lighter side, my Harley was UNHARMED! We have a couple days of clothes, so we are going to wait until after the holidays to organize what else we need. The neighbor’s homes were slightly “sun burned” on their eve’s but no real damage, thank goodness. No one was injured during the fire everyone including the dogs are safe.

I know this isn't the venue but can you add my children to the RAK's, my daughter is taking it worse then my son, because the fire ended basically over her bedroom, and she being 15, and losing EVERYTHING, the kid is in shock like the rest of us. We all have been 15 in our lives and what's is in our room, our journals, private notes, and "hidden treasures". I told her we would do the best we can, but she collects books (she wanted to be a librian and was collecting 100 yr old books- they are there still, but completely damaged, just like mushy paper) My son is handling it pretty well, he was depressed that his PSP, Palm Pilot and Nintendo DS were all plugged in charging on his window sill, we took a picture for him... They are still there plugged in, but water logged, so he get's to replace them after christmas.
We wanted to let you all know, we are ok, stuff is stuff, and we are all safe. Next week we will be dealing with finding temporary housing and putting our lives back together. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

We are staying at my Mom's:
Tim & Sara Desmarais
c/o Sheila Dickson
637 South Terripin Street
Mesa, AZ 85203

I started to send this to the Spammy Mansion family link but it moved, you are all SCS Family weather in the mansion or just on a thread. You ladies & gents' are the best people in the world. From the bottom of my heart - thank you for your thoughts and prayers.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for the loss of your home and your possessions. Words don't suffice, but I am so glad that you are all okay. I am so, so sorry.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, Laurie. I am so sorry that you and your family lost your home!
I'll see if I can't put together some misc. crafting goodies together for you so that you can craft a bit while staying at your mom's. I don't have teenagers yet, so I'll grab a couple of Target gift cards if I get the chance so that they can pick out what they want.

Big hugs to you and your family.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Glitter Guru

Laurie, how totally awful for you and right before Christmas!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and I'm very thankful that everyone is safe. Like you said, 'stuff is stuff', but it's still a shock. I will get something out in Monday's mail. Please keep us posted as to how the rebuilding of your lives is going. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

Thank you! Thank you!... just please send them a card, that's all - They need to know it's gonna be ok. Ironically their gift cards from their teachers and stuff were all burned in the fire.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

So sorry to here about your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelly
Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so sorry about your loss. I am so glad that you and your family are safe. I will get something out in the mail Monday or Tuesday.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Compulsive Stamper

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your possessions and house. So glad that all of you are okay. I have a niece who is 16 so know how hard this must be for you daughter. Take care of everyone.
Sue
Ia
Old 12-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

A note to Sara: take your books, and put them unwrapped in a freezer and leave them for at least 1 week. (My best friend who's a librarian is standing behind me giving me instructions to pass on.) I know it sounds funny, but every library has a disaster plan and how to preserve wet books it to stick them in a freezer.

She also says that if you need more instructions to PM her - her SCS name is divinelibrarian.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #10
Matboard Maniac

I'm so sorry to read your story. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Laurie Dear, I have posted your story in the new thread of the Spammy Mansion. We are all truly sorry to hear of this horrible disaster. Please know that you can count on the Spammies to get some cards out to the kids. '

Hugs to all!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

OMG! I am so sorry about your lose! I am happy that you and your family are safe. It is hard at a time like this to remember that the most important things in life aren't things at all. Good luck to you and your family.

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 12-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

I am so sorry about this, I can honestly tell you I know how you feel, our house fire was 05/05/05, a date I will remember forever. I am glad all your pets were safe, and so were you your family. Please take care, Marie
Old 12-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Laurie, I am so sorry. I'm glad you and your pets are all okay, will keep you in my prayers.
Joanne

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
Crimping Master

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your home!! Thankfully you and your family and pets are all okay. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Marlene
Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
Stampin' Fool

I am so glad you and your family are safe. I am so sorry that happened, how devestating! My thoughts and prayers are with you during this season and as you sort through and try to rebuild your home.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

very sorry to hear about the loss of your home. God bless you and your s at this time, cherish each other and take it one day at a time.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm so very sorry. But glad your family is safe.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 12-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #19
Hardware Hotshot

I'm very thankful to hear you and your family, including your furbabies, are safe.

I, too, can relate to the feelings you are going through. My first husband, my son, and I suffered a house fire during the afternoon of Christmas Eve 1987. Thankfully no one was home at the time and our cat was out in the garage (I don't remember why) so he survived, too. My son was 9.

Fun Stampers Journey Coach #154
My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 12-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #20
Stampin' Fool

I am so, so sorry. Sending cyber hugs your way.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #21
Pearl-ExPert

Thinking of you at this time..and thankful you and your family..including fur babies are safe..loves ya..((((hugs)))) to you and yours

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #22
Embossing Fanatic

Many years ago when my Gram was alive she had a fire and pretty much lost everything so I can imagine what you are going through - take comfort and thank the Lord that all of you were not at home and did not get hurt.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

Thank goodness you were away when this occurred and your family was safe from the danger of the flames! My heart goes out to you and your kids...it's got to be a terrible shock for all of you

I can't imagine what you'll be going through in the coming days but, my best wishes to you and your family as you rebuild your home---and you will!

ps. I was driving home from work yesterday and when I entered our neighborhood, I thought I caught a glimpse of my son running down the street with our dogs (out for a jog) and as I turned the corner I noticed out of the corner of my eye..."yellow caution tape" across the driveway of a neighbors home...and when I looked up, all that was left was the charred remains of this once beautiful home! I still have not heard the details of this tragedy...and hope the best for this family, too!

Take care all of you SCS'ers and please be safe during the holidays!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #24
Pearl-ExPert

My thoughts and prayers are coming to you and your family. may you be able to find some comfort.. where do we need to mail the cards?
Thank the Lord noone was injured.
hugs, Susie

My Blog: http://susiestampr.blogspot.com
Old 12-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #25
Mad Swapper

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of all your things, luckily your family and pets are okay and safe.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Old 12-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #26
Rubber Obsessor

My heart breaks for you...I know exactly how you feel. Our home was struck by lightning on 3/17/06...I was home alone with my 2 sons (2 & 4 yo). There is nothing that can prepare you for what you feel when you stand at the end of your driveway and watch the firefighters try to save what is left of your home. Our was not even 2 years old.

6 months later we were back home...it was a very long and painful process. I remember the anger I felt when people said that it would "be OK" as I stood in the freezing Maine cold in March and my kids didn't even have their boots. I can truly say that there is no place like home, and when and if you can rebuild and go back, it will be even better than before.

My thoughts and prayers are with you....give your kids an extra big hug tonight. I hope that you have as wonderful a support system as I did with my family, neighbors and friends. You will learn to lean on them at this time even when it doesn't feel good.

Feel free to pm me if you need info on private adjusters, insurance and all that good stuff. Our claim was VERY large (100,000+ on the structure alone), so it can get very ugly.

Best wishes - kelly
Old 12-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #27
Rubber Obsessor

So glad that you and your family are safe. Sorry for your loss. My family is praying for you and yours.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #28
Crimping Master

So glad that you, your family, and pets are all safe and sound. What a horrible catastrophe to have to deal with, especially at this time of year.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #29
Pearl-ExPert

Glad to hear you all are safe and understand your daughter's misery - going to check my smoke alarms cuz I read about way to many fires on here - in need a lift, and Thecardladies, and if I lost my critters and craft supplies my life would be miserable. I have no insurance. My best wishes to you as you rebuild and recover from the shock. May God Bless.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #30
Insane Embellisher

I am so sorry - this happened to me and my family when I was 10. It's hard to describe watching your home burn to the ground.

I know it's shocking and it makes you heartsick - but the main thing is that you and your family are ok. Your possessions can, and will over time, be replaced. Will be praying for you and your family.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #31
Matboard Maniac

My thoughts are with you at this sad time. But the most important things are OK, you and your family. You will have lots of support to rebuild your lives. Take care and don't give up hope!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #32
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

OMG, Laurie!!!!
Thank God everyone is OK! Will keep you and your family in my prayers.....
Old 12-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #33
Insane Embellisher

i also am saddened to hear of your loss. you sound so nice, i can hear your concern for your children, but i pray they can handle it like you, just reaching out and letting go in little by little ways, and i hope our cards are part of that healing. God loves you all. elaina
Old 12-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #34
Mad Swapper

Wow. I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. I will look around and see what I have that might be of some help. Good luck with everything, you will be in my thoughts!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #35
Polyshrink Goddess

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers!
Old 12-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #36
Gabfest Goddess

I'm glad you are all safe and you will be in my prayers. {{{{HUGS}}}}
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #37
Mad Swapper

I cannot imagine what you are going through. I am so glad you were not home. Thoughts and prayers. Debbie
Old 12-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

I am praying for you. My small brain cannot imagine how terrible this must feel for all of you. May God bless you all with His Strength and His Wisdom and His Peace.
John 3:16
Old 12-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #39
Die Cut Diva

Location: Denton, TX... but my heart is in Houston where my stamps and supplies are...

You will be in my prayers. I am so sorry.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #40
Watercolor Wizard

Sorry for your loss, God bless you all. My prayers will be with you and esp your daughter.