Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Talking All is NORMAL! PTL!

I received the doctor's report today and Emily's little noggin is TOTALLY NORMAL! Praise the Lord! Thank you all so much for your encouragement and prayers!

**UPDATE**
God is so good!

This morning, Emily was unable to have a bottle after 7:30am. (We expected to have to sedate her for the test) Her test wasn't until 1:15pm and she never got fussy! Anyway, we walked into the CT scan room and the tech instructed us to go ahead and put her on the table. I said, "What about the IV? Are you going to sedate her?" She said, "No, let's try it without that." EMILY DID AWESOME! She barely moved, barely fussed and it was over in less than THREE minutes! Wow! AND NO IV!!!! Prayers were answered. As we were leaving, the tech said that if anything obviously wrong had showed up, they wouldn't have let us leave. We will know the full results tomorrow, so I'll let you gals know. Thank you again for all of your prayers and words of encouragement!

Original Post:
Please pray for my sweet 4 month baby girl, Emily. (That's her picture at two months - I know, I need to update it.)

Evidently, the doctor thinks her head grew too quickly from the 2 month check up to the four month check up. It's not too large or anything...just grew too quickly. They have ordered a CT scan of her head to make sure that there are no abnormalities. Now, keep in mind that she really had a growth spurt everywhere - weight, length. The doctor said not to worry....YEAH RIGHT! Please pray that everything is okay. Honestly, I am so scared. The scan will be Monday the 15th. I'm not sure when I'll get the results.

Thank you.

Last edited by rlsjohnson; 08-16-2005 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Update
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Crimping Master

I will be praying for you and your family. Emily sure is a cutie. She looks very happy in that picture. May God Bless you and keep Emily safe.

Melissa

Wife to Josh! Mommy to Justin & Jake
Old 08-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Forum Fanatic

Oh, sweetie, of course you are scared! Every mom would be.

My thought is that if your doctor was *really* concerned about it, you would have *already* done the scan, not waiting a week to have it done. I'm sure it is just a precautionary measure. And, just so you know, you probably won't get the results until at least the day after the scan.

Try your best not to worry....really, it does no good, and just saps your strength. Unfortunately, I speak from experience on this one....my twins were born 12 weeks early, each weighing around 2 1/2 pounds at birth. I *know* what it is like to worry and wonder and pray. Take each day at a time, and before you know it you will have had the test done, and can go from there.

I will keep you and Emily in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated next week after the scan. Big hugs for you!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Old 08-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

Rachael, you and your daughter are in my prayers! I sure hope all is well! Please keep us posted on the results! She sure is a sweetie!

Eileen
Old 08-09-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Mad Swapper

I think you should be prepared to wait for the CT scan results. Two weeks ago I had one, and it took eight or nine days to get the results. It was explained to me this way.....first the test is made, then the test results are sent to the radiologist to read and transcribe......then that is sent to someone to actually transcribe the radiologist's notes....then sent back to the radiologist to read and make sure it says what he/she intended.....then that is sent to the doctor who in turn gets in touch with you.

Your baby girl is so precious in the picture....I will be praying that everything turns out perfect for her!! And I will offer a prayer for you, too, to be able to endure the wait. Be sure and let us know.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

HUGS to you!!!!! i know your fear. my little man has had a couple, as well as many other scary tests. they will probably give her some medicine so she holds really still (it will make her go to sleep). we got our results back the next day, our pediatrician rocks!!!! but it can take around 2 weeks most of the time (from listening to other's experiences).

some kids grow different, that is completely normal. be thankful your doc wants to do test to make sure. i had to fight for over a year to find a doc that would listen. by that point we knew something was wrong and it was a releif to get scary tests.

may i ask....is her developement on par with what it should? because if it is, please let your stress level drop. development is way more imporant than growth...

hugs again. i'll be keeping you in our prayers.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
Inking Addict

I will be keeping you and Emily in my prayers! Best of luck and lots of hugs!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

I will keep you and your family in ours prayers. May god bless you all.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
Sassy Shani

Hugs going out to you and baby Emily. What a beautiful name for a beautiful girl!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #10
Mini Quack

Default My baby

Prayers and good thoughts are on the way... getting the results depends on how the DR. ordered the CT... I agree if he was "overly" concerned and not just being a thorough doctor that I think you would have had the CT by now...Let's hope he asked for results ASAP..I am sure he reralisaes how difficult this is on you...but maybe a reminder to the office of that would help him to remember... When I had my CT the results were to my Dr infour days?? so who knows??? Hugs filled with patience and strength...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #11
Insane Embellisher

Our doctor said it's just to MAKE SURE that everything is okay. All of her development is on cue....some things she is even doing early. It's so weird because now I'm looking at her sweet little noggin wondering what's going on in there.....analyzing every aspect of her head.

THank you all SO MUCH for the encouragement and prayers!

Old 08-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #12
Rubber Obsessor

Default Been there....

Rachael,

When I read your post it brought back so many memories for me. When our son was 14 months the same thing happened to us. His big ol' noggin grew a lot faster than the "curve" shows it should. He had 2 consecutive measurements like that and our Pediatrician decided it was time to do a CT to make sure all was well. Our son was doing fantastic development wise...ahead in most areas, also. We, like you, were terrified and worried ourselves sick. We had to wait over a week for the test. They did give him medicine (via IV) that made him sleep. I am not sure if they can numb the spot where they put the needle in a baby as young as yours...but you might want to check. We learned after the fact that they could have given us a numbing patch for our son.

Anyway...to make a LONG story shorter...our Pediatrician put a STAT on the CT scan order and we got the results the next day. The hospital staff told us if something BIG showed up we would have heard about it shortly after the scan. Thank goodness we didn't! We relaxed a little. The next day we got the call we had been waiting for. The CT scan was normal! What a huge relief. After this happened, I was talking to my cousin, and she said that her baby had to have this done too, for the EXACT same reason. I was so relieved to hear we weren't the only ones.

I hope that this will help to hear that someone else has been through the exact same thing. I know all too well how nerve wracking the waiting and wondering is. We will be praying for a normal CT scan. Let us know how it goes.

Amy
Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Just so you know, the numbing patch that Amy is referring to is a prescription cream, brand name is Emla cream. Place a blob of it on the areas where they will possible insert the meds (tops of hands and bend on both arms) and place clear derma patch over it and let it spread out on its own. Must be done 1 hour before venipuncture is to be done so meds can take effect and numb the area. Ask your dr. if you can use it for your 4 month old..not sure on the age requirements, but it does require a prescription and sometimes insurance does not cover it! This stuff was a blessing when my little one had to have multiple blood draws for certain medical stuff! She freaked and was so happy when she realized she couldn't even feel the needle going in! NO PAIN

Will be praying for Emily...i'm sure everything will be okay...but I know how scared you are right now. We never want our kids to go through anything medical.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

hugs to you and baby Emily! Hope everything is ok keep us posted on the results!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #15
Matboard Maniac

Re-cap on the Emla Cream - demand it! My dd had many miserable events with blood draws until it became available (in fact she was one of the "testers" for it's effectivness...) It is worth any out-of-pocket you might have to pay. Also - CT scans Can be read within hours if the Dr. requires it. I know this too from experience. DD had CT's every 3 days and following each one went direct to surgery for complications....LONG story there but the CT's were read immeadiately and action was taken that saved her life...6 surgeries in 3 weeks - but she lived! That was 15 yr.s ago this coming October - a nightmare of a month to be sure - but w/o the CT's she would have died because the infection that was killing her couldn't be seen any other way. God provided - and we are thankful. Prayers for Emily - my sense is that Dr. is just being overcautious. That's a good thing.

If it's free, it's advice;
if it costs $$, it's counseling;
if it WORKS! It's a Miracle!!

A~
Old 08-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #16
Gabfest Goddess

Prayers lifted up for Emily and all of you! Been there, done that with my 1st son (he had to have a biopsy when he was 2 - ended up to be an infection, praise the Lord, but the waiting - had to wait over Labor Day weekend before we could see the doctor - was so hard!) HUGS!!!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Old 08-12-2005, 05:30 AM   #17
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for all of the encouragement!

I called and asked the hospital nurse about the numbing cream. They don't recommend it for really little ones because it can constrict their little veins and make it even harder to get a good line.

I DO NOT want her to have an IV! I asked the nurse if she HAD to be sedated and if she did, was there any other way besides an IV. She said that I'll have to wait and ask the doctor that is doing the sedation. I just feel so helpless. I am going to call my pediatrian today and see if I can get some more answers. I may ask them about the numbing cream as well. It's so hard dealing with all of this medical stuff.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #18
Matboard Maniac

Fight for your baby's rights to have a pain-free proceedure.... yeah - I gave in a few times when my DD's nurses assured me she wouldn't "feel" it...but today (she's 22) she tells me that she still remembers differentthings....I have a lot of regrets because in my "mothers heart" I KNEW...but I felt powerless pitted against the "experts... At the very least - Delay the CT untill ALL of your questions have been addressed. If it's not LIFE threatening - proceede with caution.

If it's free, it's advice;
if it costs $$, it's counseling;
if it WORKS! It's a Miracle!!

A~
Old 08-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

Oh boy...I hope I didn't add more anxiety to your life by mentioning the IV and numbing creme. It certainly wasn't my intention. We hadn't been told about it when our son went in...we didn't even know he was going to get an IV until they came in with the needle. Finding out that way really stressed us out and we felt so helpless that we didn't even ask if there was a painfree way to do the sedation. I just didn't want you to be caught "blindsided" like we were. Hang in there...and know that we will be praying for great results and a painfree day for your baby.

Amy
Old 08-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #20
Insane Embellisher

Don't worry, Amy! You have only helped me! Not added to my anxiety! I SO appreciate the advise. I had no idea that they would use an IV until I read your post. I just talked to the pediatrician and she said that the IV was the safest way to sedate for a newborn. (I still think 4 months is a newborn ) Anyway, she said that the other sedation options are too strong for their little respiratory systems. It knocks them out too much. I have to admit that yesterday, I was really tore up about all of this, but today I really feel the Lord's peace. Ya know, the peace that passes all understanding! Thank you for all your prayers!!!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

my little guy has never had to have an IV for CT or MRI scans. they give him some really thick liquid medicine (they even let me give it to him) and i get to snuggle him until he falls asleep.

do keep us posted....

hugs!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #22
Rubber Obsessor

Rachael,

So glad to hear I didn't add more stress to your life! I am glad you are feeling the power of all of our prayers. God's peace is truly amazing, isn't it? We will be praying for you. Please let us know how it all turns out.

Amy
Old 08-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #23
Insane Embellisher

Okay, Ladies....

I am getting scared. Tomorrow is the day. Please remember sweet baby Emily as she will have to have an IV and be sedated for her scan. I talked to the pediatrician and she said that we will have the results on Tuesday. The scan will be at Children's Healthcare in Atlanta tomorrow at 1:30. Thank you in advance for all of your prayers. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

Rachael,

My little girl just turned one on Friday. (That's her in the picture.) When she was three weeks old we rushed her to the hospital with a fever. She had a staph infection in her blood - very scary stuff. God carried us through the entire thing and kept her in his hands. I will pray He does the same for you!

She had to be on IV antibiotics for 10 days. (and oral antibiotics for much longer.) The IV will be okay, they will have someone who's skilled to give it to her. I know it's scary, but you will get through it.

My prayers are with you,
Kathryn
Old 08-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #25
Pearl-ExPert

Default prayers

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Emily and I also lift up the doctors and nurses who will be doing the procedures on you little one. It is very scary to have something happen to our babies, my daughter had to have a complete blood exchange when she was just 5 days old. They never did find out what caused the problem, but today she is a healthy 35 year old with a daughter of her own. Peace to you and your family.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #26
Pearl-ExPert

Racheal
My prayers are with you for good news at a fast rate!

When the husband's away the wife will play...
Old 08-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #27
Pearl-ExPert

Thinking of you and your little peanut. Please try to rest tonight. I'm sure you will need it for the day tomorrow. I hope all is well with Emily.
Ronda
Old 08-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Praying for Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsjohnson
I was really tore up about all of this, but today I really feel the Lord's peace. Ya know, the peace that passes all understanding! Thank you for all your prayers!!!
That is definitely the BEST.... the Peace that passes all understanding can get us through the toughest of times. Keep on trusting in Him.
I am praying the tests will prove that all is normal.
John 3:16
Old 08-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #29
Proud Fan Club Member

You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow and praying all is well.

My youngest daughter had to have surgery when she was 16 hours old for a bowl obstruction. She spent the next 3 months in the hospital in and out of ICU. She made it through and is a happy, healthy 27 year old today who just got back from her honeymoon! God is indeed good!

Sending you and your daughter big hugs and lots of happy thoughts!

Eileen
Old 08-15-2005, 01:31 PM   #30
Insane Embellisher

Smile Update Above!

God is SO GOOD! Please see the original post above. Thank you all so much for your prayers and encouragement. I'll keep you updated on the test results when we get them. Please keep praying!

Old 08-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #31
Die Cut Diva

God is good. I'm glad it all went smoothly for you!

visit my site: www.danahatch.com
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

yeah!!!! i'm so proud of her! keep us posted
Old 08-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #33
Insane Embellisher

Talking All is NORMAL! PTL!

Emily's little noggin is just perfectly normal!!! Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers!

Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #34
Stazon Splitcoast

can you hear my sigh of relief for you????
Old 08-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #35
Stazon Splitcoast

So glad to hear it!!! God is so good!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #36
Mad Swapper

my DS had to have a CT right after birth because his head measured in the 95th percentile. They showed a possibility of something. We had to have an MRI done at 12 days old. He had oral sedation (2 doses) by a pediatric nurse. However, she was pregnant and couldn't go in with him. I was allowed to go in and an EMT practically crawled in the tube with him. It took 15 long min. I had the results 7 hrs later-- he just has a big head. He's 2 1/2 and has somewhat grown into his head. God is watching...

jeanette
Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 PM   #37
Proud Fan Club Member

I am so happy that all is well with Emily! Enjoy your time with her as an infant. She will grow up oh so fast!

I'm raising my prayers of thanksgiving!

Be good to yourself!

Eileen
Old 08-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

Rachael, I'm so glad baby Emily is fine...what a relief for you! Now, when she's two and acting out the "terrible two's" , you'll be wondering to yourself "is THIS normal??" LOL
Old 08-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #39
Rubber Obsessor

Default So happy

So happy to hear that all turned out well. Another little one with a big "noggin"... She's growing lots and lots of brains and will undoubtly be a very smart little girl. Breathing a sigh of relief for you all...Glad it's over and that God carried you through. Now go celebrate that beautiful life.

Amy
Old 08-18-2005, 06:14 AM   #40
Pearl-ExPert

Racheal, What a blessing to get such great news! God is good! TFS!!!!!

When the husband's away the wife will play...