Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Studio Ghibli Films - Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle

Is there anyone else around here who is a fan of Studio Ghibli Films? I first saw Spirited Away about 2 years ago and just fell in love with it! It's so different and amazingly magical! So I started to look into it online and found out about Studio Ghibli. It was started by Hayao Miyazaki, one of Japan's greatest animation directors, and who is refered to by many as "the Japanese Walt Disney."

My DH ordered me a Studio Ghibli movie collection from Japan last Christmas with 7 of their movies. They are such a fresh change from all the standard Disney cartoons being produced today! And I love the fact that the moives have "new" stories and plotlines that are not so familiar to us in the US. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fairy tale but new stories with new heros and bad guys are always great too! The worlds that are created by Ghibli are just breath-taking! Most all the stories involve wonderful, amazing magical creatures and places. When I watch the movies, I can get so lost in them I feel like a kid again!

Disney has a contract with Studio Ghibli that has allowed them to redub the movies in English and release them in the US. They are not allowed to change the movies though. And don't think "weird anime style" right away either. Miyazki's animation is just gorgeous! The details are just WOW!

I just added Howl's Moving Castle to my collection! I LOVE IT!!!! I can't say enough about it! My top picks if you have never seen any SG films and want to are Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service or My Neighbor Totoro. And if you have seen any of the Disney promos for the movies - they do not do the films justice!

Studio Ghibli films include:
Howl's Moving Castle - Just released last week!
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Castle in the Sky
The Cat Returns
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Winds

Slightly lesser known SG movies
Princess Mononoke - note this is rated PG-13 for images of violence
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Only Yesterday
Grave of the Fireflies
The Raccoon War
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Insane Embellisher

I have not seen Howl's Moving Castle but I've read the book and it's amazing! Dianna Wynne Jones has written lots of fantasy books for young adults and one of them, Dogsbody, was one of my favorites when I was growing up.

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Old 04-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Kookie Creator

We love these films!! We've been collecting them as they come out for years!!
The ones we have:
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Castle in the Sky
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Winds
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart

Costco has them most of the time mixed in with other movies so we always go through the boxes, lol. The one we missed was The Cat Returns - my husband saw it but thought we already had it so he didn't get it and now we can't find it anywhere, lol. We'll keep looking though!!

SCS Member #133
Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE the Miyazaki movies! I haven't seen a lot of the ones you listed, though. Spirited Away is such an awesome movie! I just watched it with my dd when it was on Cartoon Network - they had a month of Miyazaki. I also really like Princess Mononoke.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

We watched Princess Mononoke on TV, too!! Fabulous movie!!
I can't wait to get that one on DVD so we can watch it over and over again.
You know these movies are great when you can get your teenagers to sit down with the younger kids and watch them too, lol.

SCS Member #133
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Howl's Moving Castle is a great book! I highly recommend the movie if you liked the book. But just like all book to movie productions go, it sticks really closely to the story line until about half way through. There are some pretty big changes in it but my DH and I both liked the way it was done. Sometimes the way books get changed when filmed really bother me but I liked Miyazaki's take on it.

The Cat Returns & Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds are 2 that we haven't seen yet and we've been looking for them too. I think we came across The Cat Returns once at Wal-Mart and didn't buy it. I don't know why!

Princess Mononoke is in my Studio Ghibili collection but I never watched it until it was on Cartoon Network as well. I kept getting bothered by all the commercial breaks after about an hour, and I suddenly remembered that I have it on DVD!