Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default EARTH~ parental warning!!

Here is my take on this movie:
Disney has cleverly kept the cirlce of life theme out of the marketing aspect of this movie. If I had known about the stalking and killing scenes I would never have taken my 10 year old daughter to this "Disney" movie. At one point she turned to me and asked, "when is it going to get happy?"...all through tears. My husband took her home, I stayed to see if the movie ended on a better note. Sadly, it was a huge disappointment (last scene is a Great White with a seal hanging out of it's mouth) If the marketing had given any clue as to what we were getting into, we would have all stayed home. I like to make informed decisions for my family, hard to do when the information given is insubstantial.

I am putting this on every movie review board I can get to. Disney has no way to contact them with comments (unless it is resort related). Take this as a warning, and please pass it on so others can be informed!

<<
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sorry you were blindsided by the graphic content! I have no plans to see this movie, but it's good to know in case someone else asks me for my opinion about it.

In the future, I recommend checking out Plugged In Online's movie reviews, with their ratings in terms of family-friendliness and appropriateness for young children: http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 04-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Rachel~ thanks so much for the website. I went to see what they said about the feedings, and they do mention them. I have gone on over 20 reveiws (unfortunatly after we got home. and to voice my opinion) and this is the first one that mentions it isn't suitable for sensitive audiences! I personlly think Disney wanted to make sure the theaters are filled...they do send a definate "they earth is melting" message. I would have even been fine with that message (not that I agree 100%), once again it was the graphic nature that has clearly been hidden from movie goers...until you get there and they have your money!

<<
Old 04-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2grace View Post
I would have even been fine with that message (not that I agree 100%), once again it was the graphic nature that has clearly been hidden from movie goers...until you get there and they have your money!
You're within your rights to walk out and tell the theater manager you want a refund -- given that your daughter was so upset after only a little while, I'm sure they would have obliged.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 04-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

I gave her the option of leaving. I have asked for a refund on more than one occassion...I'm not a shrinking violet (much to some peoples dismay!). She kept saying, "no, it's got to get happy!" And there were parts that were good. It was just such a blindside (the feedings). I hope others hear about it so if they have a sensitive child they won't be surprised~

<<
Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Insane Embellisher

Hi. I mentioned this to my DH.

He went online and found some contact info for you here
http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSEIS

The phone number is at the bottom of the page. There is also a list of the names of the board of directors. Good luck!

"I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum.
How can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?"
Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

WOW! Thanks so much, I'll report back after I call tomorrow~

<<
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

I had read similiar warnings on other boards I belong to, so I purposely didn't mention this as an option when we went to the movies.

My DD is very sensitive about that kind of stuff, so I knew she wouldn't enjoy it and I don't think I could handle it, either.

She gets upset at roadkill, so I knew she woudn't enjoy the movie.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Gabfest Goddess

My daughter's entire 6th grade went to it as part of a field trip last week. She's 11, so while she did comment on some of those "issues," she understands that's "life" even if it's hard.....
Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Insane Embellisher

I thought the marketing was very appropriate for the movie content. I was expecting to see some sort of IMAX type or National Geographic/Animal Planet type movie and that is exactly what we got. I'm not sure how you can have a nature/animal documentary without including the circle of life aspect. Nature isn't all rainbows and butterflies (although there were some beautiful rainbows in the movie as well). My 11 yo dd loved it and couldn't wait to get out to the car afterwards so we could discuss it and share our favorite parts. It was a good mix of the funny and loveable and the heartbreaking and violent aspects of nature. We can't wait for the DisneyNature movie that will be released next year. I think it's called Oceans or something like that.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
A LOST 4400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbonstamps View Post
I thought the marketing was very appropriate for the movie content. I was expecting to see some sort of IMAX type or National Geographic/Animal Planet type movie and that is exactly what we got. I'm not sure how you can have a nature/animal documentary without including the circle of life aspect. Nature isn't all rainbows and butterflies (although there were some beautiful rainbows in the movie as well). My 11 yo dd loved it and couldn't wait to get out to the car afterwards so we could discuss it and share our favorite parts. It was a good mix of the funny and loveable and the heartbreaking and violent aspects of nature. We can't wait for the DisneyNature movie that will be released next year. I think it's called Oceans or something like that.
I took my 8 yo dd and she really liked it. We watch Discovery and Animal Planet a lot and she too understands the "circle of life" part of the animal world. It WAS sad in certain areas but to me the saddest part was (in white) when the polar bear basically starved to death because he could not find fish or get the walrus. You watch any nature show and sadly, this is the case.

I never thought about any warnings being given by Disney for graphic content but I can see your point. Letting parents know to tell their kids what to expect is important.
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

I'm glad so many kids and parents loved this movie. My OP was not intended to be a "don't see this movie"...but a warning in case you have a child that would be bothered by this. Yes, dying is a part of life. But all kids come to deal with it at a different time, and some don't like it in their face. Especially without warning! I love Disney, we are season pass holders, my nephew works there...so this isn't a bash against them as a whole. I just think they could have made it a bit more clear that there would be these types of scenes. All the commercials I have seen show the cute little birdies, the lions drinking, the funny little penguins. My DD said, "yeah...that's right before they get attacked" when we saw the commercial after seeing the movie. I agree that the killings were mild compared with the old Mutual of Omaha that I was raised on! But my DD isn't me...and I know there are other kids like her.

<<