Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #1  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk "image transfers"

Hi. I love the look of image transfers but I'm pretty challenged LOL (note: 'pretty' challenged is putting it mildly...)

What's your favorite way to do image transfers? Which methods do you find to be most successful?

I have been on a quest for years for a good way to do image transfers with my inkjet printer images but most of what I've seen says laser/toner images give the best transfers and, so far, I'd have to agree.

Here's something that came up for me in YouTube this evening that works with inkjet printer images on quite a variety of surfaces - looks interesting:

What do you 'image transferistas" think about the product in that video?

Would love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Can I just say I'm sooo intimidated by them?? I need to just do it and get over my fear because I love the look! I've done the packing tape one but it's gross - LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #3  

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Can I just say I'm sooo intimidated by them?? I need to just do it and get over my fear because I love the look! I've done the packing tape one but it's gross - LOL
Whew!!! LOL...........it's nice to know that I am in excellent company and not the Lone Ranger. ITAA: Image Transfer Angst Anonymous.......maybe we need a 12 step program and our own version of something like the serenity prayer: Grant me the serenity
to accept that my images may not transfer;
courage to keep trying;
and wisdom to know when to just give up and stamp an image with Stazon (oops.........)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's a fun way to transfer stamped images: Neelz Expressionz: Flipping Stamps -

Tranz It by Judikins makes great transfers from inkjet transparencies prints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I've typically done it with text rather than an image but I've had reasonable success with an inkjet printer just by printing on the shiny side of a transparency sheet, leaving it a couple of minutes and then flipping it onto my project and rubbing. You won't get really sharp edges because you're squishing damp ink but for a grungier look it works fine - maybe worth a try with an image? I've attached a couple of postcards where the wording was done this way so you can see. The porthole one is an acrylic paint background, the bird one is just plain cardstock.

Several years ago I had a play with the method where you paint on gel medium, press DP onto it and let it dry then dampen the paper and rub it away. I did it on cheap canvas paper and made the simple bookmark attached with the resulting transfer. Again, it's a shabbier look but fun if you want the pattern on a slightly more textured surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk "image transfers"-windowpostcard.jpg   Let's talk "image transfers"-springpostcardbf.jpg   Let's talk "image transfers"-canvasbookmark.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just had a look at your link Vic - he's using the same method as the bookmark I just posted but using gesso rather than gel medium. I think it's the "classic" technique, you just need a medium that will "grab" the inked or coloured surface of the paper and stand up to you wetting and rubbing away the paper pulp after drying.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Here's a fun way to transfer stamped images: Neelz Expressionz: Flipping Stamps -

Thanks, Vic. This is the first time that I'm seeing that we can transfer stamped images - WOW!! I LOVE this because I am a stamper and I can use my stamps.

Thanks so much for sharing this. And I think I have some Tranz It - forgot all about it - now I just need to FIND IT LOLLLLLLLLL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I've typically done it with text rather than an image but I've had reasonable success with an inkjet printer just by printing on the shiny side of a transparency sheet, leaving it a couple of minutes and then flipping it onto my project and rubbing. You won't get really sharp edges because you're squishing damp ink but for a grungier look it works fine - maybe worth a try with an image? I've attached a couple of postcards where the wording was done this way so you can see. The porthole one is an acrylic paint background, the bird one is just plain cardstock.

Several years ago I had a play with the method where you paint on gel medium, press DP onto it and let it dry then dampen the paper and rub it away. I did it on cheap canvas paper and made the simple bookmark attached with the resulting transfer. Again, it's a shabbier look but fun if you want the pattern on a slightly more textured surface.
Thanks so much, Joanne. Love these!

So the transparency method works like a rubon. The transfers in your posted examples are first-rate quality.

For the second technique, I have a really dumb question: what is DP (I'm thinking it's not 'designer paper')?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Thanks, Vic. This is the first time that I'm seeing that we can transfer stamped images - WOW!! I LOVE this because I am a stamper and I can use my stamps.

Thanks so much for sharing this. And I think I have some Tranz It - forgot all about it - now I just need to FIND IT LOLLLLLLLLL
The Tranz It works well. It always seems when I want to do a transfer, I don't want to wait until I can go to Staples and make copies. I used it on muslin for some bird ATCs.

No transfer method produces "perfect" results but I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

For the second technique, I have a really dumb question: what is DP (I'm thinking it's not 'designer paper')?
Designer paper it is - that one was a Crafty Secrets pad but I think most will work fine. I could have just used the paper to make a bookmark but it wouldn't have been as hard wearing or have the nice texture of the canvas, even though I used the cheap stuff that's designed to go through an inkjet printer.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #11  

Quote:

The Tranz It works well. It always seems when I want to do a transfer, I don't want to wait until I can go to Staples and make copies. I used it on muslin for some bird ATCs.

No transfer method produces "perfect" results but I like it.
Ooh, birds on muslin - I bet that's great. Thanks again, Vic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #12  

Quote:

Designer paper it is - that one was a Crafty Secrets pad but I think most will work fine. I could have just used the paper to make a bookmark but it wouldn't have been as hard wearing or have the nice texture of the canvas, even though I used the cheap stuff that's designed to go through an inkjet printer.
DP - I would have never thought. And there are sooo many awesome DPs available. Thanks, again, Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Ooh, birds on muslin - I bet that's great. Thanks again, Vic
Not the best photo but here are my ATCs. The were for an alphabet swap in a fiber group.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk "image transfers"-b-1-31-2010-6-44-23-pm-2816x2112.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #14  

Beautiful Vic!! (as usual)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Beautiful Vic!! (as usual)
Thanks, Lydia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #16  

Yes, Vic, your ATCs are wonderful. Bet you had some very happy swappers in that group if they were lucky enough to get one of your ATCs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

Quote:

Yes, Vic, your ATCs are wonderful. Bet you had some very happy swappers in that group if they were lucky enough to get one of your ATCs
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

When I was a wee lass in school many moons ago....we used clear contact paper and burnished Our image onto that clear contact paper. Then we soaked it in water and wiped away the paper and the image remained on the contact paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to chime in and say everything I learned about image transfer I learned from this great book: Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-Media Techniques for Successful Transfers: Darlene Olivia McElroy, Sandra Duran Wilson: 9781600611605: Amazon.com: Books
There's information on every method imaginable, and it includes an extremely handy index. From Introduction, page 9: "Throughout the book, we'll let you know which printer or copier will work for the techniques, in some techniques only one will work; for other techniques both may work."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
When I was a wee lass in school many moons ago....we used clear contact paper and burnished Our image onto that clear contact paper. Then we soaked it in water and wiped away the paper and the image remained on the contact paper.
Oh, this has great possibilities and larger than packing tape so you can do larger images. And I guess, depending on which type of contact paper you get, you could go 'glossy' or 'matte'....ooh la la........

Thanks so much

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 05-26-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Just wanted to chime in and say everything I learned about image transfer I learned from this great book: Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-Media Techniques for Successful Transfers: Darlene Olivia McElroy, Sandra Duran Wilson: 9781600611605: Amazon.com: Books
There's information on every method imaginable, and it includes an extremely handy index. From Introduction, page 9: "Throughout the book, we'll let you know which printer or copier will work for the techniques, in some techniques only one will work; for other techniques both may work."
Thanks so much for sharing! I just took you up on your recommendation and bought it on Amazon. Great reviews on Amazon, too.

I'll do transfers one way or another, dagnabit LOL..........all these ideas and this help are terrific - love love love SCS - you guys are the best
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Thanks so much for sharing! I just took you up on your recommendation and bought it on Amazon. Great reviews on Amazon, too.

I'll do transfers one way or another, dagnabit LOL..........all these ideas and this help are terrific - love love love SCS - you guys are the best
I love these self-paced workshop books, and this one especially, which I use frequently as a reference. I think you'll get a lot out of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I love these self-paced workshop books, and this one especially, which I use frequently as a reference. I think you'll get a lot out of it!
Got my book today - can't wait to go through it.

I was looking at a site that has online classes and 'digital ground' was mentioned - for inkjet printers. I checked that out on YouTube and that looks cool. I'm pretty sure digital ground is one of the things discussed in the book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #24  

Quote:

Got my book today - can't wait to go through it.

I was looking at a site that has online classes and 'digital ground' was mentioned - for inkjet printers. I checked that out on YouTube and that looks cool. I'm pretty sure digital ground is one of the things discussed in the book.
It's cool stuff - I took a Golden workshop in my fiber arts group - we used it to paint on CRAZY things - fabric, canvas, bumpy stuff with fibers, sticks, etc. and the digital ground made it so that we could put all those things through an inkjet printer. It's pretty amazing stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #25  

Quote:

It's cool stuff - I took a Golden workshop in my fiber arts group - we used it to paint on CRAZY things - fabric, canvas, bumpy stuff with fibers, sticks, etc. and the digital ground made it so that we could put all those things through an inkjet printer. It's pretty amazing stuff.
Oooh, that is amazing, Lydia - thanks Will check digital ground out for sure !!

And a Golden workshop would be heaven.......I love so many of their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #26  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are two canvases I made with image transfer. I printed out on my home printer which is ink jet, on regular copy paper, I used gel medium, let them sit over night to dry then spritzed with water and rubbed off. I am pretty sure on the Eiffel tower I needed to use a black india ink pen to recreate some of the lines. It is hit or miss for this to work for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk "image transfers"-img_3481.jpg   Let's talk "image transfers"-img_3482.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #27  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

and besides where's the messy in that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #28  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

did I miss something about a packing tape method? I have never heard of that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #29  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
here are two canvases I made with image transfer. I printed out on my home printer which is ink jet, on regular copy paper, I used gel medium, let them sit over night to dry then spritzed with water and rubbed off. I am pretty sure on the Eiffel tower I needed to use a black india ink pen to recreate some of the lines. It is hit or miss for this to work for me.
Those came out GREAT!!!!! My hope re: making decent transfers with my inkjet printer is growing by leaps and bounds........so much terrific information posted in this thread by everyone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

did I miss something about a packing tape method? I have never heard of that one
I tried to find a tutorial on it here and didn't find one, guess I didn't use the right search word. (If someone else wants to link that would be great)

The basic how to is:

1) put a piece of packing/shipping tape on an image you want to transfer, such as from a magazine and burnish very well; you don't want bubbles

2) cut out image and tape, then drop into bowl of water for a few minutes

3) remove from water and start rubbing the paper off the back of your image, the ink from the picture will have transferred to to tape and once you have rubbed off all the paper you will now have a reversed, transparent image that you can use in mixed media or on a card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #31  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Just had a look at your link Vic - he's using the same method as the bookmark I just posted but using gesso rather than gel medium. I think it's the "classic" technique, you just need a medium that will "grab" the inked or coloured surface of the paper and stand up to you wetting and rubbing away the paper pulp after drying.
Looks good to me. I especially like the bookmark, very shabby scheek. ( I can't spell that LOL)
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #33  

Check this out!

Birgit's Daily Bytes: Print Transfer Technique
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I just pinned this tutorial today, looks super easy! The Technique Zone: Acrylic Paint Transfer
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #35  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a an example of something done with packing tape and a link to a tutorial.

Make me a Channel of Thy Peace by Serenity_Stamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
I did a similar Eiffel tower using the gel medium transfer method you mentioned. Yours is much prettier than mine.

I also printed out the Eiffel tower on regular copy paper using my inkjet printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #37  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post
Here is a an example of something done with packing tape and a link to a tutorial.

Make me a Channel of Thy Peace by Serenity_Stamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
That transfer came out great !!!! Tfs.
Reply With Quote Likes