Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
Stampin' Fool

Default Is anyone still doing mixed media journals?

I miss our chats here. I quit for a while because I was doing other things but want to start again, I really miss it.

What is everybody's current favorite techniques. I looking for support to quit saying I'm going to.... and start actually doing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Me too!

I haven't worked in mine for a while because I worked on a watercolor sketchbook for a month long challenge at Doodlewash, but I miss it!

I also haven't finished Art Journal Summer School - one of several online classes I haven't finished

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

PRIZE WINNERS FOR DTGD CLICK HERE FOR THE PRIZE INFO POST
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
Stampin' Fool

Procrastinators anonymous could create a whole new very full chapter right here at SS.

Maybe you could put a journal with your watercolors and after you are done painting and while the paints are still wet you could do a quick journal page too. Mot mixed media but still therapeutic.

I have been telling myself for forever to make a small journal with bgs, gell prints & misc stuff I already have. Then all I'd have to do is a little doodling and actual journaling but haven't even done that. One problem is deciding what to put in it but honestly I have enough "stuff" to create many journals of all different kinds so it's really another excuse to procrastinate.

...probably won't happen today either, weather is going to be too pretty to be indoors....
mycatstamps2 and dogbyte like this post.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

I started going to my art journaling class again. I'll try to post some pictures. I also just made a disc-bound journal after watching this video by Vicky P:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
Stampin' Fool

After posting this yesterday I went and pulled out the gel prints I had set aside to make a book, pulled out my BIA, a couple of pieces of heavy cardboard and made a book. Yea for me!

However; In my enthusiasm to actually get it made I failed to do a couple of things that should have been done before binding, oops. The folded in half pages are supposed create pockets to put journaling tags into. Did I tape the bottom of the pages together first, no. Did I cut the notches into the top of the pages, again ummmm no. Didn't remember to make the covers taller than the pages so the tops of the tags would be protected either but by golly I got that thing bound. I was determined to not give up though.

My on hand selection of washi tape is limited but I forged ahead and used what I had to make my pockets. Then a trusty pair of scissors and I had pocket notches as well, albeit not the neat and tidy ones die cutting would have given me. Now I just need to make the blank tags and I will be ready to use my new journal.

The book is just for me and I don't care ... much about pretty. Maybe I will even chuckle each time I pick up this journal to use and remind myself what happens when you procrastinate. If/When you finally go forward you are likely to have forgotten 'the plan' and make live a bit harder than it could have been.
RJP111, arlenevita and dogbyte like this post.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Cardstock Collector

I haven't done mixed media in journal form, but I have a few friends who get together and we practice mixed media. I love it!
Old 08-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
Stampin' Fool

Making cards and participating in swaps is fun but those are things that are given away. A journal is for me alone, I love going back and looking at pages I made before. Looking at pages from a couple of years ago reminds me where I was and how much life has or has not changed since then. Maybe that is why I have been on a journal/booklets making tangent the last few weeks.

The one I mentioned in my previous post is still a work in progress. Most of the ones I've made since then are stitched bindings but one is loose watercolor paper held by an elastic band so I can remove a page, paint and put it back when dry. The pages of that one were paper samples I got at a convention and I may or may not bind it once I have "finished" it.

My favorite is probably a small 6" tall by 3" wide book that is stitch bound. It's pages are from splot and splattered background papers I created forever ago. I used some creative folds, tip ins and decoratively cut edges for it's pages.