Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #1  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Little Birdie Told Me Dina Wakley and Dyan Reaveley Art Journal Retreat in Feb 2015

Everything Scrapbook and Stamps

I, for one, am beside myself with excitement. Just put down my deposit to reserve a seat.

If you are Dina and Dyan fans, check it out!!!

3 day art journaling workshop in Florida.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2014, 02:28 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

Yikes! Way out of my budget. For that price, the whole family would have to go. But I hope you have a great time. It sounds wonderful. (Not a big Dina Wakley fan here, but I love Dyan Reaveley. I've taken 4 classes with her, and I'm taking more in October.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a fab time and tell us all about it after you get home!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #4  

Jeanette, Thanks for your well wishes. We don't get any 'big names' out where I live so I always have to go to the 'big names' lol. And this will be my vacation for 2015. How awesome that you've taken so many classes with Dyan- from what I've read on her blog and seen on her YouTube videos, she must be a real hoot.

stampin stacy, Thanks so much for the well wishes and I'll be sure to share upon my return home!!

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
I was talking to the owner of the store who is putting this retreat together and she said you get 1 full day with Dina, 1 full day with Dyan and 1 full day of them teaching together and she said that day when they teach together will really be something (because they're both friends and have a lot of fun).

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 06-10-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be great! You'll have a wonderful time. I think we learn best with artists whose work we love. I'm saving my pennies to go to one of Lynne Perrella and Michelle Ward's mixed media retreats. They give them somewhere in New England, but have also given them in Italy--that's where I want to go. and it's expensive! So I pass on these other wonderful sounding retreats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #6  

Louisa May,

Lynne and Michelle are both wonderful from what I know of them - never had the luck to take classes with them. What a trip that would be with them in Italy - woohoo!!!! You go (literally), girl LOL

I took some precious metal clay classes from Lisa Pavelka a few years ago on the Greek island of Santorini. I love that some of artists offer classes on 'foreign shores'. You're right - the trick is just to find classes from the artists whose work we love. For the last 6 years or so, I have centered all of my vacations around art classes/education - some in the US, some not.

For this Dina/Dyan retreat, Dina is definitely more my style and I have been watching for class opportunities with Dina, but I have been following Dyan on YouTube ever since she joined Ranger and I have her sprays and lots of her stencils and her journals and some of her stamps and I think she is incredibly talented and just is an amazing person, so I feel lucky to take classes from her as well.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 06-14-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #7  

This retreat is now sold out per Dyan's blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #8  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How wonderful! I just signed up for a Dyan course near here in PA. The shop owner didn't know when she could get Dina, she has been trying to book her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
How wonderful! I just signed up for a Dyan course near here in PA. The shop owner didn't know when she could get Dina, she has been trying to book her.
Oh, aren't you lucky - that is awesome !! I envy you that you have such opportunities nearby - we don't have any such luck anywhere remotely close to where I am.

If you want to, please tell us all about your class - I'd love to hear about it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #10  

Default UPDATE: There may be 2 spots opening up....

The retreat was sold out, but there may be 2 spots opening up.

If you are interested, just email [email protected] and ask Michelle to put you on the waiting list.

I'm really starting to get excited now - can't wait!!

A disclaimer - I am not affiliated in any way with Michelle or Everything Scrapbook - I'm just sharing info re: this opportunity with my fellow SCS mixed media enthusiasts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #11  

Got back from the Dina/Dyan retreat today and, not surprisingly from what you've all said, both Dina and Dyan were wonderful. I learned a lot about their products and about composition and color theory. I never had luck using Dyan's sprays and now I know it's because I was not spraying heavily enough. Dina's class was a hoot because it was about creating a very random piece of art and then how to pull all the disjointed elements on the piece together. I didn't take notes because I did not want to miss the class content; I just hope I can remember it all. We did things like throw and drag string that had been saturated in watered acrylic paint across the page. We also had to paint using our non-dominant hand while our eyes were closed - what????? I have to say that when we were doing the string throwing LOL I thought 'this is goofy' but, to my surprise, by the end of the retreat it ended up being one of my favorite techniques - very cool effects - and I plan to use that one a lot. Both of these artists are very effective teachers.

Edited to add:
We got some awesome stuff, too, including an exclusive stamp set made for retreat attendees and two of the images in it are Dina and Dyan from real photos of them as little girls - soooo cute !!! And a tote with their original artwork and a Ranger tote that was only available at CHA winter 2015 that has original artwork from Dina, Dyan, Tim and Wendy (the 4 ranger designers). And Michelle who put this all together gave us a small canvas 'art to go' bag and each day we got something to put into it so that by the end of the retreat, we had a portable kit to do art when we're traveling - very cool. And we also got to shop at Michelle's store which is jam-packed with lots of mixed media, stamping, die cutting and scrapbooking goodies. She had a scavenger hunt in the store that had a prize for the winner. I also met some great kindred spirits and we had lots of laughs and we worked our tails off making art, let me tell you hahahaha. They really have to keep the pace up to get everything in. I feel confident saying that a great time was had by all.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 02-23-2015 at 07:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 02:36 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

That does sound like a fun retreat. I could do a retreat where I could make messes all day. I think that would be so much fun.

When I was a little girl my Dad would make me paint with my non-dominant hand while I had my eyes shut. I was laughing that you all did that at the retreat. I mean laughing in a good way. I always loved painting with my eyes shut and using my other hand. It was one of my favorite things to do in the world.

I am ambidextrous now. I always wondered why that is not taught in art classes more. Artists need strong and adept hands.

Thank you for sharing the tip about the sprays. I never spray those mists enough. I am wondering if that's why I have so much trouble with them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm glad you had so much fun. It sounds like a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome Back, it sounds like an awesome experience that you will treasure. Can't wait to see some of your creations.
Reply With Quote Likes