Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supplies advice for starting out

After getting addicted to my Gelli plate, I'm now interested in mixed-media techniques, especially art journals. I'm watching a lot of YouTube videos, and it looks like you need both gesso and gel medium, but I'm wondering if I can use gel medium to size the paper before starting, rather than buying both?

I have such a limited budget, I'm trying to buy the most useful and essential things first! I'd love to hear about what you all consider essential as you are creating mixed-media pieces.

Also, I know the subject could be discussed endlessly ;) but would the paper in a mixed-media journal be good to start with, or should I take the plunge on a few pieces of good heavy watercolor paper? :confused: What is your favorite brand and weight?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Welcome to the art journaling world. I hope you get addicted fast and make lots of beautiful things.

You can't really size paper with gel medium if I am understanding correctly. Gesso & Gel Medium you need both.

Gesso prepares your canvas and gives it tooth. It is not that expensive and a jar lasts a long time. Until you can afford some Gesso you can use White acrylic paint. I use acrylic paint instead of Gesso quite often. I would not replace it with my Gesso. The big thing about Gesso it helps your paint not soak up in the paper. I know a lot of people worry about the cost of Gesso but if you don't use Gesso you will be using a lot more paint. Paint is more expensive than Gesso in the long run.

I love to make my own things. I am also a big believer in getting the real thing that you are trying to make so you can see the differences and know if that is something you want to buy or make in the future.

Gel Medium is a big must too. It is expensive but I am still on my first jar of Gel Medium I bought a billion years ago. A little goes a long way. Gel Medium is your collage tool, your adhesive, your acrylic paint medium to make your paints translucent and movable. It has so many uses that are really important.

A lot of people are using homemade Mod Podge as a replacement for Gel Medium. That is an option. I can assure you homemade Mod Podge is not Gel Medium. I have DIY Mod Podge, real Mod Podge & Gel Medium in my arsenal. I use them all for different effects and techniques.

Paper choice is intimate. That's another thing you have to try and see what you like. I do have heavy watercolor paper. I do think it's worth it for me. I also love my mixed-media journal so much. I use my mixed-media journal the most.

I hope I was of some help. I know it's probably not the answer your wallet wanted to hear. I really do understand. I have seen lists where I wanted to cry and said no way different hobby time. I am really frugal and don't want to buy unnecessary art supplies that could be a trend and not a must.

I also hate buying art supplies over and over again, especially when they are expensive. Buying mediums is expensive but it saves a lot of money. With mediums you can make your own art supplies from polymer clay techniques to art journaling.

What is essential to me- It depends on what I am doing. If I am painting then it's Gesso. If I am collaging and layering then it's Gel Medium.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Sooo helpful, DeeAnn! Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

You need:Paper
Ink and other types of pens
coloring medium(s) of choice
Glues of various types
TIME
The ability to just let go and have fun
Gesso and gel medium are very different things so not interchangeable. I have been art journaling since some time last year and have yet to buy gesso, probably will get around to it at some point though. I did have gel medium already, use that as a glue all the time, love the stuff.

I have a Bind-It-All and opted to make my own journal when I first started, I used half sheets and bound them after I had done enough pages to fill a book. I too am on a very tight budget and decided journaling on half sheets of what I already had would serve 2 purposes: 1) using what I already had saved money & 2) it was less restrictive, I could use the appropriate paper for the mediums I was in the mood for that day. This also enabled me to journal without the purchase of gesso. I am using a spiral book now and sometimes miss that "freedom" so I will probably start another "bind it later" journal and just use which ever I'm in the mood for.

Another must is a few black permanent ink pens for the actual journaling. I recommend several widths and they need to be made of a permanent ink that will write on any surface. Not all pens will write over acrylic paint, gel medium, glues, etc.

I have been able to use a lot of bits and pieces I had made or saved but hadn't gotten around to using yet. If you have been stamping and paper crafting for a while then you have plenty of things you can use up I'll bet. FYI, I am using cheap craft paints, no $$ right now for the more expensive acrylics. I am happy with what I am using, probably a 'don't know what I'm missing' kind of thing but that's okay with me.

I say just jump in and go for it, you won't be sorry and remember HAVE FUN!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I have a Bind-It-All and opted to make my own journal when I first started, I used half sheets and bound them after I had done enough pages to fill a book. I too am on a very tight budget and decided journaling on half sheets of what I already had would serve 2 purposes: 1) using what I already had saved money & 2) it was less restrictive, I could use the appropriate paper for the mediums I was in the mood for that day. This also enabled me to journal without the purchase of gesso. I am using a spiral book now and sometimes miss that "freedom" so I will probably start another "bind it later" journal and just use which ever I'm in the mood for.
Great points, thank you! I'm big into recycling and reusing and this advice is right down my street. I just want to get started and not allow myself to put it off until "I have all the new stuff I need." I'm sure you all can relate ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a ton of mediums and I find that other than gesso I use modeling paste more that the gel gloss. I like both but I use the flat/matte finish of modeling paste to the shinny finish of the gel gloss. I rarely use mod podge but I keep it on hand just in case.

You can get regular or light/whipped modeling paste. The whipped is thinner but I seem to get the same results with either one.

Gel gloss is great for attaching paper, sealing to keep colors from bleeding, and gives a nice sheen.

One item you may find very useful is a can of Krylon matte fixative. It's a little pricey but goes a long way. Once you have your colors the way you want, you spray a very light mist of fixative over the area you want to protect and then when you add more colors they no longer blend and no bleeding. I didn't start using fixative until a few months ago and I wish I had started using it sooner.

As for the difference between a journal or watercolor paper, IMHO that is personal choice. I started with 140lb watercolor paper. I buy it at Michaels when they have their specials. I eventually bought a journal and coated all the pages with gesso. I consider my journal my sample book. It's where I try new techniques, test products to see how they work, track color combinations. I like to be able to have a guide of what worked and what didn't work before I make a wall hanging or a piece I plan to give as a gift. I still make pieces on watercolor paper and then glue them into my journal.

The best cost savings is not to get to excited over the latest greatest product. Often, for our techniques, the inexpensive will work just as well. Like Poppydarling said, cheap acrylic paints work really well however, the Michaels Artist Loft paints are awful (very lumpy). I have a big collection of the little 89 cent paints and professional grade acrylic paints and like them equally. Whenever I watch a new video I experiment with what I have on hand before I buy something new.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Has anyone tried Nika in Wonderland's homemade gesso/modeling paste? i decided to buy gel medium first and it works so well for what i've tried so far, and since I have everything needed, thought I'd try this recipe before buying more mediums:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Has anyone tried Nika in Wonderland's homemade gesso/modeling paste? i decided to buy gel medium first and it works so well for what i've tried so far, and since I have everything needed, thought I'd try this recipe before buying more mediums:
I just made some and I'll let you know the results. The first thing I noted is that I needed to add a lot more baking soda (about another 1/2 cup) to get the thickness I'm used to using and I wish I had a cheaper white glue because it took almost 2 bottles of Tombow mono and almost a 3/4 little bottle of acrylic paint. Total cost over apx. $7.00 for a small amount of gesso/paste. I buy gesso with a coupon for a bigger bottle and about the same price. The texture definitely is not the same as modeling paste.

I'll let you know how it works with sprays, paints, etc. Right now I'm not feeling the love ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Paper choice is intimate. That's another thing you have to try and see what you like. I do have heavy watercolor paper. I do think it's worth it for me. I also love my mixed-media journal so much. I use my mixed-media journal the most.
which mix media journal are you using?

Reply With Quote Likes