Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mixed Media (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mixed-media-415/)
-   -   Gelatos (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mixed-media-415/gelatos-591625/)

fnaeve 09-03-2014 05:45 AM

Gelatos

I've been wondering about the Gelatos. How are they different?

Fnaeve

UnderstandBlue 09-03-2014 05:49 AM

They're very, very creamy - almost like lipstick, if that makes sense. Jeanne S. and Tiffguam have made some beautiful things with them. This is one of the most creative ways I've seen them used.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2oW39_aHxQM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mamaxsix 09-03-2014 06:28 AM

As Lydia said their texture is really creamy. They keep their color well when activated with water. They also come in metallics. There are fun techniques for using them dry or wet. A little goes a long way. I only have a few colors, but I've enjoyed playing around with them.

fnaeve 09-03-2014 06:39 AM

Activate them with water? Haven't heard that mentioned. Do you use the "lipstick tube" Gelatos?

Frances

fnaeve 09-03-2014 06:41 AM

Gail, I love the card you made on your blog. How did you make the splatter spots?

Frances

Cook22 09-03-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnaeve (Post 20741972)
Activate them with water? Haven't heard that mentioned. Do you use the "lipstick tube" Gelatos?

Frances

I'm not sure that they come in any other format?
I got a small introductory set which came with a swatch of different papers and project ideas which sadly I haven't had much time yet to try. But what I have tried, I have really enjoyed. I've used them both direct to paper and shaving some off to dissolve in water, as you can also do with watercolour crayons. You can stamp with them - a foam stamp was part of what was included in my introductory gift set.

FaberCastell/Design Memory Craft have a great blog with a LOT of inspiration and ideas :Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft: Gelato

mamaxsix 09-03-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnaeve (Post 20741972)

Frances

You can either rub directly onto a stamp or onto your paper then spritz the stamp or paper with water, or you can use a wet brush.

mamaxsix 09-03-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnaeve (Post 20741976)
Gail, I love the card you made on your blog. How did you make the splatter spots?

Frances

Here's the card in my gallery here with a description of my process. A lot of that spatter is stamped.
I had smooshed a distress ink pad onto a piece of plastic packaging/acetate and then sprtized that with water and used that to paint with as well as to spatter with a brush on the image itself. The bg spatter was stamped. I have done the same technique by scribbling the gelato onto acetate and wetting it.
I made this card with a dry gelato technique. And on this card I rubbed an embossing folder with gelatos then wet it with water before embossing my cardstock. I also inked my heart stamp with a gold gelato and wet it before stamping.
I've really just scratched the surface of using them, but what I've tried so far has been fun!

mamaxsix 09-03-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22 (Post 20742049)
I got a small introductory set which came with a swatch of different papers and project ideas which sadly I haven't had much time yet to try. But what I have tried, I have really enjoyed. I've used them both direct to paper and shaving some off to dissolve in water, as you can also do with watercolour crayons. You can stamp with them - a foam stamp was part of what was included in my introductory gift set.

FaberCastell/Design Memory Craft have a great blog with a LOT of inspiration and ideas :Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft: Gelato

Thanks for the link Sabrina...lots of inspiration for sure.
Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't used all the stuff from the intro pack! I feel the same way though-I've been pleased with what I have tried.

Denverkat276 09-03-2014 10:07 PM

I wondered too, then I found a bunch of videos on youtube.

I can see myself playing with them. I've put them on my Xmas list. Everyone in my family knows to go to michaels or HL with that 40% off coup. They have a large set for around 25 bucks. I figure that someone can get that for me for Xmas as I'm on a spending freeze currently. lol

They look fun. A lot of the bloggers and youtube channels that I follow play with them, so eventually, I will have them. lol

smadson 09-04-2014 11:28 AM

Like that video also, because it shows how to use Gesso. I went out and bought some when I saw everyone was using it with stencils, but didn't know how to use it! LOL Always go get the new stuff before I know what I am doing! Thank you for the video.

smadson 09-04-2014 11:34 AM

Thank you , too, Gail. I went to your Blog and will be trying the technique you shared as well as the etching that Lydia showed us.