Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mix-Ability Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-f390/)
-   -   MIX108 - Brown Paper Collage (2/20/15) (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-f390/mix108-brown-paper-collage-2-20-15-a-t596451.html)

dini 02-06-2015 08:26 AM

MIX108 - Brown Paper Collage (2/20/15)

3 Attachment(s)
Challenge Title: Brown Paper Collage
Hostess: dini (Dina K)
Keyword: MIX108
VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE

Happy Mix-Ability day! Are you ready?

For this week's challenge, I was inspired by the work of Naoko Stoop at brownpaperbagart. Here's one of her darling pieces:

So she's got a few things going on here that I'd like to see us try:

1. brown paper as the base (so use a paper bag or kraft paper)

2. a painted, printed or sponged background (masked hills seem common to many of her pieces)

3. hand cut or die cut elements to finish the scene, cut from text paper (phone book, newsprint, magazine or book pages)
Remember, for your project to truly qualify as mixed media, you need to use at least 2 different types of art media. You can click HERE for a list of supplies you could choose from. If you want to start these challenges in the pages of an art journal instead of a card, or on scrapbook pages, or on 3D items - please know - ANYTHING is welcome! We want you to learn and enjoy!

Please remember to put in the correct keyword (MIX108) when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos. Then come back to this thread and paste a link to the card in your gallery so we can all ooh and ahhh! Go forth and create!

asweetjewel 02-20-2015 03:07 AM

FYI Dini, the link for the supply list is invalid. :(

hobbydujour 02-20-2015 03:25 AM

Your challenge gave me the base idea for my card today, but I didn't make it a collage, so it's not in the gallery of MIX108. Thanks for the Kraft/acrylic paint inspiration, Sabrina.

hobbydujour 02-20-2015 04:21 AM

OOPS!! Wrong name and I can't edit, Dina. My sincere apologies. : (

mamaxsix 02-20-2015 06:52 AM

Great inspiration site. I can't wait to try again.
Here's my BBBBB Birches

peeps321 02-20-2015 06:55 AM

What a fun technique! I checked out more of her stuff on the Etsy site..great stuff!

Life's Journey

allamericanstampers 02-20-2015 08:37 AM

What an amazing gallery - thanks for sharing Dini! And, is it wrong to be happy that school got cancelled and therefore I got to stay home and play along?! ;) This was so much fun - continuing my baby steps into mixed media. MIX108 Seasonal Branch by allamericanstampers - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

hobbydujour 02-20-2015 09:27 AM

After my faux pas this AM, I felt that I needed to make a proper card for your challenge, Dina. Don't know how "collage-y" my card is, but I had fun creating it. Thanks.

BIG CITY HELLO

Shoe Girl 02-20-2015 10:07 AM

Oh my this was a fun challenge as I had never worked with the brown craft paper. My DH bought a roll for wrapping paper before he met me and it has sat ever since. Guess what, I pulled it out to create this card: February Christmas by Shoe Girl - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers.

Cook22 02-20-2015 11:02 AM

Dina, I was going crazy trying to find the list of suggested mediums. When I click on your link, I get an error message saying "Invalid thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the adminstrator". I've been all the way through the forum trying to find it, maybe it's been deleted or archived or something?
Hope to play tomorrow, we are scheduling a quiet stay-home weekend as much as possible!

dini 02-20-2015 12:18 PM

Looks like admin deleted it because of a suspicious outside link. I will fix it! :)

Cook22 02-20-2015 12:33 PM

I'm so glad to know I wasn't imagining that it had existed :mrgreen:. I was starting to wonder after going right through the forum twice!!

sue28 02-20-2015 09:08 PM

MIX108

Fun challenge, Dina, here is my card -

MIX108 Rosie by sue28 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Arizona Maine 02-21-2015 12:38 PM

Hi Dina, Naoko's work is beautiful! Here's my Bird and Blossoms. I hope the old book print qualifies for brown paper.

gwendolyn46 02-21-2015 06:35 PM

This was fun challenge, it is always fun to try something different! We are still in winter's cold and snowy grasp here in Minnesota! Boo-hoo! I'm ready for spring!
TANO IN WINTER

jodylb 02-21-2015 07:41 PM

Here's my card. Thanks, Dini, this was a blast and looks so cool!

MIX108 Winter Deer by jodylb - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

zineth 02-21-2015 07:52 PM

Journey in Flip Flops Art

This was a fun challenge!
check - 1. brown paper as the base (so use a paper bag or kraft paper)

check - 2. a painted, printed or sponged background (masked hills seem common to many of her pieces)

check - 3. hand cut or die cut elements to finish the scene, cut from text paper (phone book, newsprint, magazine or book pages)

I seem to be on a Journey theme this week:)

Thanks for a great challenge!

Journey In Flip Flops by zineth - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

aislinnshannara 02-22-2015 04:10 AM

I so tried with this challenge and can't say that I hit it exactly as your lovely samples are, but still it totally got me playing in my art journal today! And more than that it got me thinking of my supplies in a whole new way. Thanks for the great challenge!!

You can find my card HERE!

zineth 02-22-2015 10:08 AM

Home Is Where We Park with 2 Cats

I enjoyed my first MIX108 item so well, I thought of another theme that would go well with the kraft paper and sponging technique. I have been in a doodling mood so there's lots of doodles on this one!

Home Is Where We Park with 2 Cats by zineth - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

frenziedstamper 02-22-2015 04:48 PM

Great challenge, my mind is spinning with ideas, I'll keep this in in for future cards. Here's a quick one: Baby Elephant

frenziedstamper 02-22-2015 05:26 PM

Love this theme...here's Owl give you a Hoot

steadybeadin 02-23-2015 06:38 AM

Great challenge! Here's my creation...

button and lace by steadybeadin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Cook22 02-24-2015 05:36 AM

Late but here, I had fun thinking about where to go with this.
MIX108 Water Happy Birthday