Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mix-Ability Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-390/)
-   -   MIX73 - Round and Round (June 20, 2014) (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-390/mix73-round-round-june-20-2014-a-588853/)

UnderstandBlue 06-18-2014 11:38 AM

MIX73 - Round and Round (June 20, 2014)

2 Attachment(s)
Challenge Title: Round and Round
Hostess: UnderstandBlue (Lydia)
Keyword: MIX73

VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE

Ready for a new Mix-Ability challenge?!! We hope you're having fun with these! Our goal is to make mixed media easy, approachable and FUN! We want to convince you that no matter what your style is - you can DO it! Have you seen our new Mixed Media forum? I have found so much inspiration there! One day someone was talking about a fun art journaling technique for doing something very simple - just painting circles. Techniques like this help you (or me, anyway) try to build some looseness and abstraction into their work.

So let's go round and round - this week's challenge is to make circles! Here's the technique -
  • First, create a circle or circles with a dye-based ink - use several colors. Make LOOSE circles with an aquapainter and reinkers (what I did) or watercolor, or with your fingers. Try not to concentrate too hard - abstract is what you want.
  • Next, add highlights with white paint - I did this with my fingers.
  • Finally, stamp outlines with black paint on the edge of a glass or a plastic cup, a paper towel roll - anything round with a thin edge. This last step makes the design really pop.
Here's the original tutorial I found to inspire this challenge.

Remember to use the keyword MIX73 when uploading your creations to the gallery, come back and post a link, and let us "ooooooh" and "ahhhhhh" over your works of art!

Here are some samples to inspire you!

Scrapacat 06-18-2014 12:59 PM

Yippee! I am so ready for something different than what I've been focusing on this week. I am aching to get my paints and other mixed media toys out for a play date!

Biggan 06-20-2014 04:20 AM

Thanks Lydia for a fun challenge and your lovely inspiration!

Here�s mine;

MIX73 Circles by Biggan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

dini 06-20-2014 05:13 AM

Here's my card! So sad I forgot to take a picture of my pretty background before I covered it up! I need to remember that trick about cutting out the center, too. :P

MIX73 - A Good Day by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

peeps321 06-20-2014 06:03 AM

OOOoo Lydia this was fun!! :) Thanks for the challenge! I liked your tale of the runaway lasagna. :lol:

What was the Question?

Cook22 06-20-2014 06:28 AM

This is so funny - just last night I was looking at stuff online (very rare for me, but I was looking for ideas for something in particular) and one of the videos I saw was someone drawing circles and then turning them into flowers.
Mine made me think of frogspawn, LOL, but my little frog that I made got lost in the pattern, so he's still sitting on my desk.
So not me, but a lovely fun way to spend a Friday afternoon after work - thanks, Lydia.
MIX73 Hit the Happy Spot

Precious Kitty 06-20-2014 07:03 AM

I didn't have the stuff to do the circles as was explained, but used what circles I had. This was a fun challenge!!

Here is mine
MIX73: Circle of Flowers

Benzi 06-20-2014 07:12 AM

Fun, fun, fun challenge:

Mix73, Cool Circles by Benzi - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Angelnorth 06-20-2014 09:35 AM

Looks like we all enjoy a bit of finger painting since "fun" is the word we're all using! Thanks Lydia! Here's mine:

Seize the circles

dini 06-20-2014 10:46 AM

I'm giggling at 'frogspawn'...

LittleSeaOtter 06-20-2014 11:00 AM

Yay...I got to play! So much fun!

Here's mine:

Circles of Thanks

MariLynn 06-20-2014 12:31 PM

What a wonderful challenge. Thanks Lydia. I made 3, I was having so much fun. Here are my cards:
Butterflies and bubbles 1 by MariLynn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Butterflies and bubbles 2 by MariLynn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Bubbles and butterflies 3 by MariLynn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

NaomiW 06-20-2014 01:39 PM

Here's mine! MYSTICAL, in blues and purples.

Stamperrobin 06-20-2014 03:13 PM

Here is my round and round card
MIX ART by Stamperrobin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks for looking!

Julie Gearinger 06-21-2014 07:11 AM

Oh, this was fun!! Lydia, I hope it was OK to create my circles using the Gelli Plate along with the Packing Tape Technique (I also added some circles with Dry Embossing but hard to see in the photo) :-)

MIX73 Butterfly Packing Tape Fun by Julie Gearinger - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Julie Gearinger 06-21-2014 08:02 AM

Here are the last two cards using the tape strips that I created on the Gelli Plate :-)

MIX73 More Fun With Packing Tape by Julie Gearinger - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

PPA208 Packing Tape Fun with MIX73 by Julie Gearinger- Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

smadson 06-21-2014 05:55 PM

I have been playing with this and have several sheets drying. Don't know what to do with them yet, but did a page in a journal. Will photo it when it dries.

AmberDawn 06-21-2014 08:23 PM

Here's mine! This was a super fun challenge, Lydia!!

Round and Round by Amber Hight

smadson 06-22-2014 12:52 PM

Here is my Circles & Wheels. I will load my journal page later. Nap time is calling my name! :) This was fun. Thank you Lydia.

jan31 06-23-2014 02:09 AM

Here`s my Circles and Wheels too, Only a plain card but I enjoyed playing, thanks Lydia.

Full circle by jan31 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

smadson 06-23-2014 07:11 AM

Here is my first Art Journal page.
:)
thanks Lydia!

marney 06-24-2014 10:16 AM

Finally posting I seem to always come in later in the week.. I know I saw this design on line and I can't remember who it was that I was inspired by.. So whoever thank you..

Round and Round by marney - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Angelnorth 06-25-2014 06:04 AM

I had such fun finger painting circles for this challenge that I did it again for a postcard made for a swap I take part in.

Circle of Life

redi2stamp 06-26-2014 10:57 AM

Hi I am late but loading my circles now.. great challenge, wonderful idea for bg. Love it!Round and Round by redi2stamp - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

rgrohall 06-27-2014 02:56 PM

Its been far toooo long since I last uploaded ... but I did get a chance to play! not a strict interpretation! I did these also as 4 x 6 canvas for my stamp group:
Bronze circles by rgrohall - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

k dunbrook 07-11-2014 02:42 AM

Loved the look!! Just had to make a card.
here is my card:

Great Day

2manycookbooks 07-27-2014 03:46 PM

Thanks for this challenge! My second submission. Don't worry I won't keep counting each future one. LOL.

Here you go!