Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MIX332: Paste Not Waste {6/7/19}

Title: Paste Not Waste
Host: Janelle S (a.k.a. dizzymommie)
Keyword: MIX332

For inspiration on this challenge see the MIX332 Gallery!

Hi, Mixers! This challenge was meant to be posted on June 7 and I had a mix-up on my calendar plus a lot of travelling that kept me from getting it up on time. On the positive side we have an extra challenge this week!

The challenge is to repurpose some partial or flawed stamping projects into beautiful background paper with the Paste Paper Technique. I'll share the paste and paper traditionally used later, first go for the technique with what you have on hand! Don't want to make the paste? If you have a gel plate, duplicate the pattern styles of paste papers with tools. If you have translucent water-based paint medium like Liquitex Gloss and Varnish Medium, add a few colors with just a 2-3 tablespoons of the medium. Create with what you have!

If you are familiar with bookbinding you may already know about paste paper. It's like glorified finger painting (cr: lilbookdinder) using a few rudimentary tools you probably already have around. It's simply starch paste mixed in with a liquid color medium.

Shiny to Matte finish depends on the starch used. On that scale you would use the following: corn starch, glycerine, methyl cellulose, rice starch paste, wheat starch paste, wall paper (credit: Lilibookbinder blog)

Make paste: Start with a slurry of 1:1 starch and water. Boil the rest of the water and then whisk together or use an electric blender. If it's too thick add more water a little at a time. If it's lumpy press through a fine sieve. (credit: Lilibookbinder blog)

Add colorant: The colorant can be food dye, fabric dye, acrylic paint, gouache, silk screen inks, calligraphy ink and block printing ink or powders (think of those old mica powders still sitting around!) (credit: Lilbookbinder blog, plus internet search)

Application and Design: Wet paper on both sides. It will curl so let it relax and flatten out before adding paste. Use a cheap flat paint brush to apply paste and then use combs, fingers, catalyst tools, etc., to create a design. Let dry and then use as you like.

Stamping on paste paper isn't recommended unless you want to experiment. The paper will be bumpy, warped and less porous than before so stamp ahead of time with waterproof ink and then continue with water-based mediums.

Here are some sample papers to spark ideas.

Have fun! When loading your projects to your gallery, add "MIX332" as a keyword so we can see it in the gallery!
Attached Thumbnails
MIX332: Paste Not Waste {6/7/19}-03-card.jpg  

Last edited by dizzymommie; 07-03-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

That looks like fun. Coincidentally I was just reading about wheat and cornstarch pastes yesterday. I'll try to get some time tomorrow to try this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #3  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Here's the one piece that is actually a rescued bit of bad stamping...
I cooked my paste in the microwave when I was working in the kitchen on Saturday morning. It turned out great, no lumps at all. The pieces took a long time to dry, and I was away from home yesterday, so I'm just getting this one made up into something today.

MIX332 Paste that Foil

I also have quite a few stencilled pieces which will go in my box for another day. Thanks for the push to try this out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for sharing your process Sabrina! Love the colors!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #5  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I got to use one of my stencilled pieces of paste paper for Ky's challenge today .

MIX350 A Small Starchy Sea
Reply With Quote Likes