Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mix-Ability Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-390/)
-   -   MIX32 - Getting Into the Negative (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-390/mix32-getting-into-negative-578027/)

Scrapacat 08-31-2013 08:44 AM

MIX32 - Getting Into the Negative

1 Attachment(s)
Challenge Title: Getting Into the Negative
Hostess: Scrapacat aka Ky
Keyword: MIX32

Hello and welcome to another Mix-Ability challenge here on Splitcoast! Our goal is to make mixed media, easy, approachable and FUN! We want to convince you that no matter what your style is - you can DO it!

If you want to start these challenges in the pages of an art journal, instead of a card, or on scrapbook pages, or on 3D items - please know - ANYTHING is welcome! We want you to learn and enjoy!

Color an image (or a background), then take something away from it. If you use alcohol markers, wet a piece of corduroy or denim with blending solution or alcohol, place it on part of your image, and remove ink to reveal a texture. Use bleach or water to lift off some color in your project. Try a salt technique on a watercolored surface. Get really creative and show us how you approached the challenge!

VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE: MIX32

Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos. Then come back to this thread and paste a link to the card in your gallery so we can all ooh and ahhh! :D

You can visit my Gesso Dragon blog for stepped out photos for some techniques. It's my hope to do at least one more sample for you. I just LOVE getting NEGATIVE!

dini 09-06-2013 01:42 AM

OK, first of all, I almost screamed when I saw the new uploader!

My daughter and I experimented with spray paint art last weekend, and I thought that would be a fun interpretation of this challenge... we mostly learned from watching street art videos on Youtube. It's quite addicting, and it didn't take too long to get the hang of it. Here's my space landscape...

MIX32 - Moon Scene by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

RJP111 09-06-2013 02:55 AM

This sounds like an interesting challenge! I can't wait until my work day is over & I can play in my studio!

Scrapacat 09-06-2013 06:57 AM

Heehee! Dina, I had a spaz moment when I saw the new uploader too! Then my computer decided to quite speaking to me right in the middle of the blog post. It was quite an eventful few moments. I think I will love the new uploader when I get over the 'newness' of it. I really want to try some spray paint art, too.

Robin - I hope you get a chance to play along. These techniques are quite addicting!

Scrapacat 09-06-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 20325759)

SQUEEEEE!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Ok. That's enough 'e's. Ha! But I really did squee and run to show my Dad.

peeps321 09-06-2013 08:43 AM

Here's mine after several tries "removing" color.I ended up using distress inks and stamping with bleach.

Squirrel it Away

UnderstandBlue 09-06-2013 02:08 PM

I busted out the good old fashioned Viva to get negative!! :) MIX32 Getting Negative! by UnderstandBlue - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Stamperrobin 09-06-2013 02:13 PM

Here is my card for the gallery
Japanese Maple by Stamperrobin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers :D
My method was dye ink refill watercolor then Bleach.

jodylb 09-07-2013 07:09 AM

Here is my card:

Bleached Vintage Floral by jodylb - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Cook22 09-07-2013 09:08 AM

I tried my best - given that I'm seeing off a head-cold.
I had another idea - maybe I can try it tomorrow! I should have stuck to my old resolution to give up on trying to achieve success stamping with water, sigh...
Fabulous Washout

Far North 09-07-2013 12:33 PM

I did the polish stone technique, stamped a flourish and took off the ink.
You can see it here MIX32 Watching over the Pumpkin Patch by Far North - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks Lydia for a really fun challenge!

yellowrose46 09-08-2013 10:06 AM

I cheated a bit on this one, as I didn't lift anything I had coloured. I just bleached out a bit of the background cardstock. I just love how the SU Brilliant Blue (a discontinued colour) bleaches out to a gorgeous turquoise!
Amazing Pinterest Poppies by yellowrose46 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

alimarbles 09-09-2013 04:29 PM

Fantastic challenge! My technique was to remove paint using a paper towel over sequin waste - it creates a really cool background:

Do what makes your soul shine

jodylb 09-11-2013 05:11 AM

Here's my second card for the challenge -

Bleached Sunflower by jodylb - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers