Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mix-Ability Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-390/)
-   -   MIX130 You Crack Me Up! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mix-ability-challenge-390/mix130-you-crack-me-up-601540/)

Jeanne S 07-23-2015 08:52 PM

MIX130 You Crack Me Up!

2 Attachment(s)
Challenge Title: You Crack Me Up!
Hostess: Jeanne S
Keyword: MIX130

Hello and welcome to the Mix-Ability challenge! Our goal is to make mixed media easy, approachable and FUN! We want to convince you that no matter what your style is - you can DO it!

Your projects can be any type � cards, scrapbook layouts, art journal projects, 3D pages.

My challenge for you is to make a project with crackles... you can use a crackle medium (or make a homemade version with thinned with water white glue). It's very easy.

Paint a background in acrylic paint (this is the color that will peek through the cracks). Let dry

Paint a layer of crackle medium or thinned with water white glue). Let dry.

Paint a layer of acrylic paint. As it dries you see the crackles appear!

MIX130 Gallery

Uploading: Remember the keyword is without spaces. Use a comma between keywords with a space after each comma.

If you are new to the challenges, please feel free to do this one or ANY of the challenges at any time. There is no time limit. They are not races to see who can do one first, nor are they contests of any sort. All the challenges are simply to provide inspiration and to get us stamping!

Need help linking a card? Follow these instructions!

1. Open 2 windows: One window for your card and one for this thread.
2. In this thread, click on reply and type anything you want to show before the link.
3. Got to your card window. Highlight the address for your card. (It says www. splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto..... and so on)
4. Click EDIT. Click COPY
5. Go back to this thread. Click PASTE.
You�re done!

Jeanne S 07-23-2015 10:21 PM

My sample will be in the gallery tomorrow. I'm tuckered out... ;)

Cook22 07-24-2015 02:10 AM

Very interested to try this, Jeanne. I've tried the faux barnboard tutorial from Resources several times with mixed, slowly improving, results. Here's hoping that diluting the glue (never tried that before!) will be the difference. Crackle medium here only seems to come in large tubs that are way more than I am willing to spend.

hobbydujour 07-24-2015 03:42 AM

Fun challenge, even tho' I had to dig through my supplies to find my TH Crackle paint....never been used. Thanks.

FIELD FLOWERS

allamericanstampers 07-24-2015 04:10 AM

I opened my crackle paint and it's been so long since I've used it, rock hard. :( Thanks for the tip on thinned white glue ... will give that a try!

mamaxsix 07-24-2015 05:29 AM

Probably won't have time before I head out of town but had a thought to try a crackle technique yesterday so I might just have to try to squeeze it in after all!

dini 07-24-2015 05:47 AM

My crackle glaze didn't crackle, so I'm going with plan B... stand by...

dini 07-24-2015 06:26 AM

Alrighty, here is my work in progress....

MIX129 MIX130 Victorian Box by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

MariLynn 07-24-2015 06:53 AM

Here is my card:MIX130 HOPE by MariLynn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I have done the faux barn board technique several times, and though I wouldn't say that I'm an expert, I have had some success with getting the crackle look with paint and plain elmer's white school glue.

I have found that the cracks are more visible if you start with a dark color underneath. For my card this week I used Walnut Stain - Distressed ink to get a nice dark color.
Then I put a layer of glue, not watered down, just straight from the bottle. I used a scrap piece of cardstock to spread the glue.

Almost immediately, before the glue can dry I added drops of paint. I have found that it is easier to do if I put little drops of paint several places then to put one big drop. I use my finger tip to spread the paint over the surface of the glue. I use a really light touch when I spread it over the glue. It only cracks if the paint stays floating on top of the glue.

Jeanne S 07-24-2015 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 21031212)
My crackle glaze didn't crackle, so I'm going with plan B... stand by...

Persnickity crackle!

Stamperrobin 07-24-2015 07:30 AM

Cool, I hope I can get to this today...I have a bunch of cards I HAVE to make!!

Cook22 07-24-2015 07:52 AM

MIX130 Use the Birds
I tried it with watered-down glue, but actually I got a better result second time round when I used the glue neat.

I think MariLynn makes a very good point about using a light touch; the outcome improved a lot for me when I got foam brushes instead of using my bristle brushes.

Jeanne S 07-24-2015 08:39 AM

Here's mine:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...8945?nocache=1

Jeanne S 07-24-2015 08:40 AM

Maybe it depends on the brand Sabrina. I think humidity might play in there too.

Julie Gearinger 09-26-2015 08:50 PM

I have created two Design Team cards using this challenge - here is the first one using the Cracked Glass technique :-)

CCC15_F4A284_MIX130 Wise Men Still Seek Him by Julie Gearinger - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

The second one will be using crackle texture paste and I will post when the challenge goes live in approx. 10 days or so :-)

Thanks again for the inspiration- hugs to all of you!

KathiR 10-01-2015 12:02 PM

Here's a tag with a crackly title.

Steampunk Dream by KathiR - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Julie Gearinger 10-07-2015 09:37 AM

Here is my second card for this fun challenge- thanks Jeanne!
HYCCT1507_TCC41_MIX130 Happy Anniversary by Julie Gearinger - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers