Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
Mad Swapper

Default Looking for ideas on storing multiple items by (SU) color

Does anyone store ink, paper, ribbon etc grouped together by color? I've got a good system for storing my 8x11 card stock but everything else is a mess so I've had a hard time finding ribbon, ink, and dsp that matches the cardstock. I've got a few color sets in a big Iris box but it takes up such a large footprint that I dont have room (or money) to do that for 50+ SU colors.

I would love to hear other ideas for organizing DSP with or without matching cardstock as that is my biggest challenge.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Are you willing to do all the blues together all the greens together?

and I dont know if I would want to store inks or wet things like sprays with dry things like textiles actually

but, if so what I did was go to some clear stacking tackle boxes and I have like one that is white & black ( mixed) one that is brown, tan, cream ( 2 green boxes lights and darks) one yellow & orange box ( your getting the idea right?) ( this is all forms of embellishments in those boxes because I do not think to my self I need a brad I think I need something copper...

( I also do not save packaging) so you can get a lot of things in one box that way.

but, full sized inks are in an old cassette tape holder on the back of the closet door and spray bottles are in a kitchen tired holder thing on a side cart.

eta printed paper is in hanging file folders sorted loosely by what color looks dominant to me when I squint at it. ( I tear apart 6" printed pads once I've used a few sheets out of them ) So one blue, one red, one pink, one orange etc etc.
Unread 03-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
Forum Fanatic

I store like items together without consideration of who makes it. I use divider boxes to store small items like buttons, brads, etc. by color. Ribbon wrapped on mat board stored by color. I have baskets for larger items. I also remove packaging so I can fit things into the applicable storage.

I store DSP by color in Display Dynamic trays by general color. When there are multiple colors on a sheet I decide which color I like the best and store it in that tray.

If I buy supplies for a particular project then I will store them in a 12x12 iris box. Once I make the project the left overs get stored with everything else. If I don't make the project within a year then I'll store the supplies with everything else so I'll use it up and not hoard it.

My system works for me because I can easily go to the item and see what I have - no hunting. I often see something I never thought of using.
Annecards likes this post.
Unread 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My upline has a lovely stamping area, and she stores all the SU colors by color. Paper, designer paper, ribbon, inks, refills, markers, embellishments...the whole nine yards. And it is all in drawers by color.

This picture would be overwhelming to anyone. But there's 210 drawers there, and you wouldn't need anywhere near that many. Some of her drawers are other stuff.

I would suggest using sterilite drawers (from walmart or hobby lobby with coupon) and stack. Label them by color and put everything in drawers by color. Designer paper could go in with the predominant color, and you could have a scrap of paper that lists the other colors in the paper too. These drawer units are smaller than the iris boxes and much more manageable space-wise.

I have seen a similar idea of Stacy Julian's where she keeps all embellishments...sequins, brads, ribbon, paint samples, rhinestones and pearls, and so on...in color drawers. Oranges, greens, turquoises, blues, reds, etc. Her papers are kept in paper sorters.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 03-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a drawer cabinet (similar to Ikea Alex drawers) and I once arranged them all by color. So all my blue items (buttons, brads, twine, ribbon-not ink or paper) was in the drawer. I changed it back after a few months. The way I work, I want to add a specific item to my project, like ribbon, not necessarily something blue; so I would end up opening all my color drawers to find ribbon that matched my card. I very rarely make a card that is all one color. I also like to try out different add-on items; will ribbon look better or a nice twine? In blue or white? That is my thought process.

DSP is a big problem for me, so I just sold most of it, since I realized I only use it once or twice a year. I even tried to cut down some of my favorites into 8 1/2 by 11 so I can store it with the rest of my cardstock, still don't use it.
fionna51, jukie, kazooMI and 1 others like this post.