Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default I don't have enough supplies

So I just got a house and I made sure I had an extra room for crafting. The room is a good size for me. It's 12x12 or so. I want to put in a 2ft wide table 2 or 3 sides of of the room. Not sure if I want to do a L shape or just go around the whole room.

I'm having trouble deciding what I will actually need. Since I only started paper crafting recently. All my craft supplies fit in 3 small boxes. I know that my stash will grow, but how do I get started purchasing furniture when I don't know what I will need
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
BillieDee likes this post.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Stampin' Fool

You know you'll need storage for paper..probably 12x12 and 8.5 x 11. I say start with that...how will you store your paper?
Leona2025 likes this post.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

You can purchase a bathroom counter to the length you want and add a file cabinet (cube - shelves etc) on each side for the height and support. Then you'll have a desk to work on that is easy to wash and storage on each side for supplies. This set up is also inexpensive and looks good.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Matboard Maniac

Right now all my papers are thrown in a under the bed storage bin. Right now I would say I need storage for my folk art paints and sprays. I want to dosplay them in away that I can see them.

The bathroom counter is a great I deal. I dont want to be worried about destroying the top of the table. What would be a good way to install the counter so that it doesn't fall off the cubes?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Compulsive Stamper

Well, you could attach it to the wall but a file cabinet is the same depth as the counter. So if the counter is against the wall, it won't fall. Not in my experience anyway. The cubes would need to be the same size and hight as the file cabinets. You can also use a laminate kitchen counter, but it is deeper. Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I would suggest that you think about how you like to stamp and whether you have or want to have tools that have their own dedicated spot for your work.

Then I would take a look at rooms and organizational schemes and ideas to see if it fits the way you like to work. Or the way you want your room to look. Then wait.

Since you have never had a room and have always worked from boxes, the best suggestion I would make is to buy one small table and a comfortable chair and save up money for later furniture purchases. If you buy a bunch of stuff now, and later you don't like it, you will really regret the money spent. When you find out whether you want everything in sight or everything put away, worktables around the room or one big one in the middle, or any one of a number of other choices, then you can work toward filling your room . And you'll be happy with it. Don't let anyone tell you what you "should" do.

For ideas, here's some places to start:

SCS craft room boards:
Stampin Up! Gallery: Mission Organization - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers

There's lots of great boards with great ideas on Pinterest. Here's mine:
Craft Room Envy on Pinterest
Craft Room Organization and Storage on Pinterest

Do some dreaming.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Betty, pamshobby, dillyb5 and 11 others like this post.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #7
Compulsive Stamper

Diane is right....it has to feel right for you. And a comfy chair is probably more important than anything else if you plan on spending lots of time creating. Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Absolutely agree with the last two comments- take your time and get a feel for what will work for you. For a working desk, my personal recommendation would be an IKEA table top, with legs one end and an ALEX drawer unit the other. Its perfect for all the little stuff you want to keep close to hand, it has 5 drawers of various depths, and they hold a lot of stuff.
img_7437-w.jpg
This is mine.
I ended up pretty much filling my room with IKEA stuff- two other worktables, an Expedit 5x5, and a 4x2 with desk attachment for a cutting station. More pictures here, if you are interested.
Brenda71, 905lovestostamp and Inkable like this post.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Absolutely agree with the last two comments- take your time and get a feel for what will work for you. For a working desk, my personal recommendation would be an IKEA table top, with legs one end and an ALEX drawer unit the other. Its perfect for all the little stuff you want to keep close to hand, it has 5 drawers of various depths, and they hold a lot of stuff.
Attachment 290931
This is mine.
I ended up pretty much filling my room with IKEA stuff- two other worktables, an Expedit 5x5, and a 4x2 with desk attachment for a cutting station. More pictures here, if you are interested.

I love your set up. The tables are exactly what I am looking for. I want have ecnough space for my cameo and printer. I don't have any stamps or punches and most of my images are digital.

I do like to color and paint. Mostly I card make and scrapbook. I will be wanting to collect more items to fill my craftroom.
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
Insane Embellisher

I love the Ikea desks too. I have three of the smaller ones and can mix them up in different shapes (along one wall, in an 'L') - very versatile! I have several Billy bookcases (also from Ikea) too. They have been great for me as my space is quite narrow. I have also used the Sterilite carts for years and have swapped out whatever crafts I was working on. and they fit neatly under the tables. There are a couple of photos (about the only ones - lol!) in my gallery.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

My space is a mishmash of many "acquired" items and I'm lucky to have a large chunk of my unfinished basement to house everything.

-- A ping pong table serves as my main stamping area (it's also where everyone sits for my classes)

-- I have a foosball table that holds my large paper cutter and other miscellany

-- A library card catalog keeps most of my embellishments, adhesives and smaller odds and ends rounded up

-- I have some plastic gutters attached to the sides of one of my 5-drawer file cabinets to hold ribbons

-- A Pampered Chef rotating tool holder holds my main stamping tools -- bone folders, scissors, rulers, etc.

-- A cardboard magazine display rack from one of the office supply stores holds most of my 8.5 x 11 CS and a wheeled cart from one of the craft stores holds the 12x12 in individual plastic cases

-- Cassette holder hung on the wall has most inks

-- I also have pegboard and other wall storage

-- Bookcases of a few different varieties, including one that just traveled downstairs when we replaced it recently

Gee, when I write it out like this, it looks like soooooooo much. I guess it is and, actually, there is more.

What I really stopped by to say to you (because every time I have noticed your post I think it) is "Don't despair. You will find that your good friends here on SCS will enable you to buy all you need to fill any storage you buy and then some."

Have fun!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Leonna, if you do want to get one of the Expedit with desk attachments, don't wait too long. There has been a thread on here about some of the Expedit range being discontinued, and I believe the desk attachment with the 4x2 was among those mentioned. What I really liked about the tables was the variety of widths/lengths they came in. I had one of the wider, but shortest for my workdesk, and narrower but longer along the walls. You can also get standard height legs for them, or (more expensive though), adjustable height legs. I got those for just one of my tables, as I'd recently purchased some plastic drawer units, and they were too tall to go under standard legs. Worked out well though, as the taller table is behind my desk, giving me a surface to have stamp folders etc open on, and I could put a lot of stuff in the drawers, and have it close to hand- card scraps/punches/spare glues, tapes etc.
img_7464-w.jpg
The lower one also has drawer units under it, they were smaller though. Holds stuff like glitter/ribbon/ etc.
img_7465-w.jpg
I think the greatest thing about the Alex drawer unit, and to be fair, I think about any Ikea drawer unit, is just how well thought out the drawers are. The sides and back are as deep as the front- which means no wasted space. By the way, I put cutlery trays in some of my drawers to keep stuff (fairly) tidy.
img_7463-w.jpg You can see here how much drawer space you get, and most importantly, how far the drawers pull out- no blindly rooting about in the back of the drawer!

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 03-14-2014 at 08:12 AM..
Jana Z, JoBear2 and DaniBou like this post.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Proud Fan Club Member

I agree with what most everyone else is saying - find what will work "for now" and see what your style and needs are as you go. My room is another "mish mash" of items re-purposed from other areas of my house or reconfigured from stuff I already had in there. As anyone who has read anything I've posted in this forum knows, I can NEVER leave well enough alone - my room is constantly morphing. There is no right or wrong in relation to what anyone else is doing, only what will or won't work for you. Linda likes to have everything where she can see it (and room to be able to do that), and I'm a hide-it-until-I'm-using-it kind of crafter. I stand when I stamp or use my Big Shot, I sit when I color or fussy cut. Knowing how you're comfortable is the biggest consideration (well, that and good lighting).

ceramicat1, dillyb5, Jana Z and 3 others like this post.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

I have been card making for about seven years. I have always made due with what I had and repurposing. I use a drop leaf table that was our kitchen table when I was a kid for my work desk. It is a cute little antique and has sentimental value too!

I used to store my stamps on a little $10.00 cheapo three shelf book case from Wal-Mart. Now I have an armoire that holds all my stamps and card stock that I came by for free.

My dsp is on a four tier wicker stand I had bought for something else. Etc. etc. etc.

I always wanted to spend my budget on stamps, paper and tools instead of storage. It all works out well!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 03-16-2014 at 06:37 AM..
gregzgurl and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Matboard Maniac

I agree, see what will work for you. Personally, I had a wall mounted 2.5 foot L shape area. HATED it. It wasn't deep enough to spread out, the sides always got full of stuff. I had shelves above it so everything was handy but out in the open and that room always looked messy. Yes, the Expedit is going to be discontinued but they are rolling out a new version with sides that are a little narrower so it won't be quite so tall or wide. I do have an Expedit now and LOVE it. Much better than the shelves and wall mount work space. But also decide if you want a counter height or desk height. Some people like the option to stand if they want. I like to sit as I have a TV in my lady cave so I can escape reruns of Pawn Stars and Pickers etc. So go slow. Don't invest too much right away, see what works. You can't go wrong with Ikea stuff though if you are close enough to get to one. The Alex drawer unit and table top is a good start. Check out Pinterest for ideas.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Nice workspace! Thanks for sharing its evolution!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #17
Kookie Creator

I always say that first you must ask yourself a list of questions to determine your needs. Do you want to accommodate room for others to join you? How many areas do you want, room for a class or just room for a close friend to join you or just enough for yourself? When you design an area for storage make sure the area gives you room to grow. What is your biggest problem for storage now? Do you need a different system for storing your paper or for your stamps or your dies or your punches? Take one area at a time to organize your biggest problem. I like going for a clean and uncluttered look but then I found it going with a uniform tabletop the is shaped like a big F in my room. From there I added storage underneath, on the walls, and on bookcases. I have three sitdown stations and one standing station. I use the standing station which I made out of a garage sale find for my quillotine cutter and big shot. I made a hanging wall unit for my clear and cling stamps, a behind the door unit for my punches, bookshelf for wooden stamp sets, bookshelf for cardstock in magazine holders. All of which work great for me but everyone has their favorties. Take it slow and do one storage solution at a time, making growth room or you will be back to that area in no time. Enjoy!
Inkable likes this post.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
Proud Fan Club Member

First of all-YAY for you! Lucky ducky to have a dedicated room! Congrats!!!

We all struggle with evolving storage systems as we take on new techniques that require gizmos and supplies. So don't be surprised if whatever you decide...isn't the same thing in 10 years from now. I would not buy anything I would be broken-hearted to have to get rid of-or to be made a prisoner by b/c I don't want to waste the money spent. Or that I will freak out if it gets stained by ink or paint.

Having said that...there are companies who make furniture just for craft rooms now. You could surf them just to get ideas. Also look at other people's craft rooms-there are tons of pics of those on the net. You may not get those very pieces but they may inform you as to what you like.

Ok...I personally would start with some non changeable issues:

Lighting: Where are your windows and are you satisfied with the overhead already there? If you want to put in track lighting or whatever...doing that before you have furniture in the way might be an idea. You can always add spot lighting with table top lights if needed later.

Air: Again...where are the windows and are you going to be using them or A/C or both? You will have to keep in front of the A/C (and radiator) clear.

Do you have a built in closet? Are you going to use that for any of your supplies?

The floor: I would personally avoid a rug of any kind. I would want a very washable surface...also easy to sweep up paper bits and glitter, etc. And again nothing super expensive in case something ever drops you cant get out. I put in heavy duty peel and stick tile myself. It is cuttable and isn't what our parents had. Mine looks like dark stone though now I wish I had medium color. Even a decent sized room looks smaller with a dark floor.

My cousin once said to me when I complained that no matter how much I get rid of in my house, it never feels like it. Or stays clear. "Nature abhors a vacuum". LOL. You have all this open space so you really have to use self control and go slow. To do a whole room is pricey even with IKEA etc.

Use paper cuts on the floor when deciding about furniture. Don't just measure. They give you a much more honest report on how much real estate pieces are going to take up re: your walking paths etc.

I like the counter idea and would probably suggest formica as a surface-both durable and highly washable. And comes in a lot of colors if you want to use it as a "punch of color". Rounded corners help prevent chipping if you can get it for the front side-and over time you could "flip it" if it gets too worn if you get it finished on both sides. (good part about not being nailed down) And no...I have not seen them move, esp if they are bigger. It will be heavy. Dont cheap out on the thickness, esp in longer lengths. It could warp under weight over time or if near heat....I would personally want 1 inch thick min.

After all that...I totally agree with the others. Right now...you don't know what you are going to want to explore, etc. So yes, first I would try to decide how much you are going to want to show or not in general. Some people like bookshelves with everything showing and some people like cabinets with doors. How much are you willing to bend for stuff or climb for stuff? Helps decide how low/high you want to go.

Be honest with yourself about how messy you tend to be. And how willing are you to have the room BE messy? If you are a neat freak then stations are a good idea and all things related to that function would be right there for easy put away. If you are more relaxed, stuff can go anywhere because you will likely wait till you are done and then walk around putting it away.

If you can make room for a friend that would be great. I SO wish I had that. I have to work on the dining table when friends come over.

As for color..I would probably stay pretty neutral. There will be plenty of color in the supplies...paper, ribbon, etc. around! Esp if you want a bulletin board for ideas or calendars or whatever.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Kookie Creator

I agree with going slow and thinking about how you like to work, as well as how you organize things you already have (look at your kitchen and closet). Also, make sure that your paper is stored away from direct sunlight if you have it in a rack. The edges can become bleached. Like many others, I prefer a combination of standing and sitting depending on the task I am doing. I sit at the computer and when coloring, etc., but stand when I am stamping or using my Big Shot. Sometimes I actually use my Big Shot on the floor, but never when sitting in a chair. You may want to visit a class or paper crafting group to "try out" different styles and heights of tables, etc. before investing. You have received some great advice from folks here. Enjoy the experience of creating your special space! May it bring you joy for years to come.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #20
Glitter Queen

My piece of advice to newer stampers is not as much about the room as about figuring out how you want to store/organize your stamps before you have a kazillion or more stamps. If you want a catalog of each of your stamps, it is much easier to start when you don't have so many stamps that the project is overwhelming. Then you are able to just add the new ones that come in to whatever cataloging system you are using. With the number of stamps I have at this time (reallllllly a lot) I have spent the better part of the winter trying to find a system that works for me at this stage without trying to reinvent the wheel. And I would much rather be stamping than organizing. Wish someone had told me this much earlier.

Have fun with your new space and go slow - like so many have said. Some ideas in the head aren't near as good in real life. And the reverse is also true.
shazsilverwolf and wavejumper like this post.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Cardstock Collector

Smile Setting UP Shop

The first person I ever stamped with had her paper in file folders- she would put a small strip of paper & it's color name on the label portion of the file folder. This allows for small pieces to be throw into the file folder as well so it is all together. You can elect to then store by color: such as 3-5 blues in one hanging folder or grouping them by color family if using only one company's line of paper. I have done this and LOVE it- I save smaller size bits of paper and can always find what color I am looking for. A 2 drawer file cabinet would hold a non-demonstrator's stash of pape and it could then fit under your counter top.

I don't have my own room yet but I know I would like a table slightly taller to hold cutting tools because I like to stand when I cut; in addition to one that I sit at to work at. Also if you ever get into quilting/sewing or develop back problems sitting too much is hard so having a standing work area is helpful.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
Proud Fan Club Member

So true Prarie about cataloging stamps. I was lucky my teacher in my first class ever told us to do this-and I did! It is now two binders worth! I find three ring binders the easiest for this as I can add more sections if I need them-like when I split out "people" into women, men, oldier, chidren. I'd be lost without that catalog! It also keeps me from duplicating images-either the exact one or one so close as to be not needed. Gotta love when your system saves you money!

What I did recently re org'ing stamps was to change from size order (sm, med, large) to subject on the boxes, so it's much easier for me to find a stamp now. (I have a lot too)
What this also did was make it clear what subjects I had enough of and where I was missing. In my perfect dream world where I get to have a whole room...I would probably get one of those specialty cabinets with the shallow xtra wide drawers (like a map cabinet) for the stamps so I could just pull open a drawer and see them all. (sigh)
Old 03-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #23
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmacdonald View Post
The first person I ever stamped with had her paper in file folders- she would put a small strip of paper & it's color name on the label portion of the file folder. This allows for small pieces to be throw into the file folder as well so it is all together. You can elect to then store by color: such as 3-5 blues in one hanging folder or grouping them by color family if using only one company's line of paper. I have done this and LOVE it- I save smaller size bits of paper and can always find what color I am looking for. A 2 drawer file cabinet would hold a non-demonstrator's stash of pape and it could then fit under your counter top.

I don't have my own room yet but I know I would like a table slightly taller to hold cutting tools because I like to stand when I cut; in addition to one that I sit at to work at. Also if you ever get into quilting/sewing or develop back problems sitting too much is hard so having a standing work area is helpful.
I put all my smaller than a full sheet cardstock in accordion files - black, brown, blue, green etc. They are kept within reach of my work station. FULL size sheets are in another spot and I have to move to get them. I now use only scraps if I can. Before that I was constantly using full sheets as I couldn't find the smaller pieces easily since I was just throwing them all in a basket and it took to much time to dig through it. I works well for me. you can sure tell green is my favorite color as that folder is HUGE compared to the others.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #24
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

I'm not building a craft room, but I just want to say that every time I see the title of your post, I smile.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #25
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone for all the tips. Right now All I have is a couple of paper stacks and some tools. Heat Gun, Cameo, and a paper cutter. I don't have any stamps, punches, inks. Maybe 4 distress pads and a bunch of IAMROSES.

Every time I make a card I have to go to Joanns to get some single cardstock.

So I am really new. The thing I need is a good craft table. I like to do mixed media canvas and coloring stamps. I need space for that. I like to spread out and color and I have been sitting on the floor at the coffee table. Very uncomfortable. I do have a small walk in closet in the room also.

I am thinking a large table/desk/island on one side of the room and cubes for storage on the opposite side. I really wish I had more stuff. When I started crafting I bought a ton of stickers and stuff and I don't use any of that in my crafting so I don't want to purchase supplies I don't use.

Last edited by Leona2025; 04-01-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
Proud Fan Club Member

Shop at places like Goodwill or Salvation Army or Rescue Mission or yard sales for a heavy kitchen table. I picked up a huge one (45" x 60") for $14 (it was supposed to be $35, but they were having a sale - I would have paid the $35).

I was using it just as I found it for several years, but after seeing what Gale did HERE , I took the two halves apart and reconfigured it. One half has all four legs on it and remains table height for sitting. The other half is resting on several bookcases, shelves, and cubes and is a bit higher for standing. I now have an aisle between them instead of having to walk around a huge table.

Even if you don't use the legs - like if you rest it on filing cabinets or shelves or cubes - it makes a great surface for crafting! Mine was already "distressed". I considered refinishing it, but decided that it would be easier, cheaper, and less worrisome if I just added my own distressing, too.

Last edited by gregzgurl; 04-01-2014 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #27
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona2025 View Post
So I just got a house and I made sure I had an extra room for crafting. The room is a good size for me. It's 12x12 or so. I want to put in a 2ft wide table 2 or 3 sides of of the room. Not sure if I want to do a L shape or just go around the whole room.

I'm having trouble deciding what I will actually need. Since I only started paper crafting recently. All my craft supplies fit in 3 small boxes. I know that my stash will grow, but how do I get started purchasing furniture when I don't know what I will need
Leona - I have a project idea for you. It will seem silly but one day you will appreciate it immensely. Copy your original subject line and create a piece of framed art with it. Then a couple of years down the line you will look up and say "Once upon a time ... I didn't have enough supplies!"
Brenda71, dillyb5, RubberLady603 and 4 others like this post.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #28
Die Cut Diva

One of the posters above said to make sure your paper is stored out of sunlight, I'd also add make sure your inkpads are too! Look at the room throughout the day, and see which wall sits in sunlight for the longest. I have my pads on shelves on the same wall as the window, so they won't sit and bake dry!
Love BillieDee's response above- its true, in a couple of years your cry will be 'I don't have enough room for all my supplies', rofl!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #29
Gallery Gazer

In January, my daughter took over my craft room because it was a bigger bedroom for her compared to her old one (she is 10), and I moved into another bedroom which used to be my husband's hobby room for his model train set. He had set up lots of spotlights for his display and I have to say that having much better lighting than my old room has been absolutely fantastic: I can match up cardstock and designer papers, ribbons etc. so much easier than my old room which just had a centre light and I had 2 desk lights. The spotlights (which all have energy-saving globes) shine all around my room and I just love them so much. I also sew and the lighting is great for that too. I am over 50 so maybe it's my eyes (?) LOL! But I think it is definitely worth thinking about.

I use Cropper Hoppers Paper Holders for storing my designer papers and cardstock. I have my dps sorted out into feminine, masculine and Christmas. I store the holders on my bookshelf and it is so easy to just pull them out and look through them and I can see what I have. I am the sort of person who needs to have her stuff on display otherwise I just forget what I have.

I also have a scrapbooking trolley on wheels which I bought on sale from a place like Target. I use the shallow drawers for storing buttons, flowers, acrylic stamping blocks, stencils and lots of little bits and pieces. The top has dividers which I store my many different glues on incl. glitter glues and stamp cleaners. This has been one of my best purchases because I can move it around. I have lots and lots of labels on the drawers so I know exactly what is in the drawers: in fact, my whole room is full of labels which a blogging friend recommended - also one of the best things I have done as I know where everything is now that I have amassed a vast collection of crafting items. Hope this helps
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #30
Die Cut Diva

I bought a house last year. My room is the same size as yours. I do a lot of mixed media. Everyone has said this but it's so true you will keep changing your room. Don't go crazy and buy a lot of expensive things.

My DH bought the home for my anniversary gift last year. All our friends were like "Oh, what is the first thing your going to get for your art studio? My DH bought me an owl vase I can put my paintbrushes in. I just love that thing to pieces. My friends thought that was so weird, lol. They thought I was going to clear out an IKEA catalog. All of my room is recon or refurb items.

My DH took all the hardware out of the closet and built me shelves in the closet. I did build an L-shaped desk for my room. Part of the L holds a lot of my art journaling coloring supplies. I can just reach over and grab what I want. I use the rest of that area to move my items that I am drying. The other part of my desk is free.

I know everyone is big into the Raskog carts (sp?) I am not IKEAing that word right now. Take my spelling for what it is, lol. I got a beautiful waiter's cart instead I store most of my supplies on.

My Cameo/Printer is on a rolling cart my DH modded out for me.

I am very happy with my room right now. The one thing I really learned when designing this room is that I changed it five times before I got everything to fit my personality. I know that is so excessive. I also blame my DH who is designing his own art studio to the point I just glare at it now, lol. Tonight he said to me "I have decided on how I want to expand the area out!" Then gave me a full detail blueprint. While I stood outside and pointed up at the sky "Is that Venus?" You can see how much I care!

The big thing is do what fits your personality. Pinterest has some really gorgeous ideas. Take ideas from those rooms that inspire you. I do agree nice lighting is a must. Keep the air circulating. Buy shelving that fits your needs and not because you admire it. Note to my DH for that, lol. Put decor in your room that inspires you.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams