Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to store large UMS?

I am seriously considering unmounting all of my stamp sets (and I have a lot of them!). I'm a little OCD, and hate sticky things, so the thought of just taking the rubber and foam off the wood and using them like that on an acrylic block makes me uneasy. So I suppose I will have to make an investment in EZ mount foam because I like it. I'm okay with this. What I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to store them once they're unmounted.

I like CD cases, but what happens when you have a set that is too large to store in a CD case? Do you just use 2 or 3 cases for 1 set? Do you have another sort of case to store large sets in?

I feel like I must know how I will store them b-4 I unmount all my stamps and then have no way to store them.

Also, where do you get bunches of cheap CD cases? I really do have a lot of stamps!

I really appreciate any help from those who are more experienced than I in this. Thanks!

Last edited by mooshie_stamps; 10-25-2010 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add the word "sets" to title, but apparently can't edit title :(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hiya... Patter has a GREAT blog with all kinds of tips.. I used exactly what she does for my unmounted stamps and LOVE IT!!!

Triple the Scraps: Organizational {Friday} Stamp Storage Cont. & a Coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

When I used to store my sets in CD's, I would just make a vol. I, vol. II, etc for my larger sets. I purchased my empty CD's at Fry's Electronics, but I believe Wal-Mart also sells them, just make sure you buy the regular CD cases and not the slim ones.

Like Jen said, check out Patter's blog, she's got several storage methods with plenty of details on the hows and whys.

HTH

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 10-25-2010 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Removed off-site promotion per SPR. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mooshie!
Before you start unmounting your stamps, you might consider storage solutions that will save you the trouble of unmounting, and keep your stamps in their current pristine condition!

I'm kind of OCD myself, and can't even imagine unmounting all of my wood mounted stamps. I like stamping with wood, I love that all of my stamps are in excellent condition, and personally, I like seeing the artwork stickers on wood blocks.

Like most people I needed to condense things a bit, as storage is an issue for anyone with wood mounted stamps. I posted a couple of photos in my gallery with the solution I went with... I wrote quite a bit on the image description page, but you will see that I chose to use Stampendous THICKER containers for my wood mounted stamps. As I mention on the photo details pages, I was able to condense 131 SU wood mounted sets into 30 Stampendous containers. And I LOVE IT! Sure, it's not as space-saving as going totally unmounted; however, it is the ideal solution for me. And I didn't have to put myself through the emotional process of unmounting.

Saving Space! (1) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Saving Space! (3) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

If you DO choose to unmount your stamps, Stampendous also makes thinner cases that have the same outer dimensions as the thicker containers (so, same size, just thinner) that work great for cling mount stamps. I use them for the CHF stamps I bought that were on cling mount. I was able to get 6 sets into one storage case, and the stamps are held in place inside the container with their cling.

I went with this storage solution, because I like the clear case packaging and the size of the containers, and also because they come in several thicknesses so I am able to store all of my stamps in the same TYPE of storage container. They all line up nicely on my shelf, and I'm so pleased!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslierodView Post
When I used to store my sets in CD's, I would just make a vol. I, vol. II, etc for my larger sets.
HTH

I like this idea! Thank you.

Also, (I haven't checked out your link yet) I'm wondering why you decided not to use CD cases anymore? The thing I don't like about a binder is that if I just want to take one stamp set with me it's a pain to pull out the page the set is on from a binder, and there is a chance (even if it's a very small one) that a stamp could come off of the page in the binder and get lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooshie_stampsView Post

Also, (I haven't checked out your link yet) I'm wondering why you decided not to use CD cases anymore? The thing I don't like about a binder is that if I just want to take one stamp set with me it's a pain to pull out the page the set is on from a binder, and there is a chance (even if it's a very small one) that a stamp could come off of the page in the binder and get lost.
For me.. the binders are small'ish so its not a problem to take the binder with me. Also I kinda like it because then I have more to choose from.. then just one set.. if I decide to change my mind on a card. hehe

I thought about cd cases myself.. but after time the cases cracked & were hard to get into.. So I just went with the binders. Also the binders are on sale I think for $1 each and you can fit tons of stamps in one binder!! Just sharing my thoughts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
If you DO choose to unmount your stamps, Stampendous also makes thinner cases that have the same outer dimensions as the thicker containers (so, same size, just thinner) that work great for cling mount stamps.
I like this idea as well. Do you have a link to where to find these? Or can I just google stampendous? (Guess I'll try that) I have over 250 sets to unmount, and really want them to take up a LOT less space than they do. I could maybe cut the space they take up now by about 1/3 by combining them, but if I unmount them they'd take up about 1/4 of the space that they take up now, and I really need that space for other things. I also don't stamp enough to need all of my stamps to be on wood, so I'm okay with this.

It's basically either:
A. get rid of some stamps (okay a lot of them) to make space. OR
B. unmount them.
If I unmount them I get to keep them ALL!
I've thought about it a lot, I just don't see how they can take up a far more reasonable amount of space with the wood is all.

Right now they are taking up an entire cabinet that is about 6' X 3' X 18".

Anyway, I just need a lot of that space for something else. I'll check out the thin cases though, they sound like a possibibity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
For me.. the binders are small'ish so its not a problem to take the binder with me. Also I kinda like it because then I have more to choose from.. then just one set.. if I decide to change my mind on a card. hehe

I thought about cd cases myself.. but after time the cases cracked & were hard to get into.. So I just went with the binders. Also the binders are on sale I think for $1 each and you can fit tons of stamps in one binder!! Just sharing my thoughts

Oh these are good points. Where are these on sale at? I should check them out. Maybe if I had binders that zip shut it would easy my fear of them falling out?

I do like the thought of being able to bring several say, Christmas sets with me all at once.

Decisions, decisions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh these are good points. Where are these on sale at? I should check them out. Maybe if I had binders that zip shut it would easy my fear of them falling out?

I do like the thought of being able to bring several say, Christmas sets with me all at once.

Decisions, decisions!
These binders are totally enclosed so you dont have to worry about anything falling out or losing anything

3 ring binder, 3 ring binders, 3 binder, view binder, case binder - G13311 a 3 ring binder

or 2 ring binder
1 1/4" - 2 Ring Case View Binder (32mm) - A5 - G13310

I love them personally.. they are great quality!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do have a lot of decisions! It's amazing, and fun, how there are so many options and people get to pick and choose what works best for them and their situation.
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You do have a lot of decisions! It's amazing, and fun, how there are so many options and people get to pick and choose what works best for them and their situation.
Exactly!! I like your storage but I needed to shed weight and space..since we were moving and dh in the military.. This way I get to keep all my stamps and not have to really get rid of something I wasnt ready to get rid of
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
These binders are totally enclosed so you dont have to worry about anything falling out or losing anything

Oh! Enclosed? I like that! And I just had a thought! I could cut my stamp boxes and punch holes in them to put in the binder and I wouldn't even have to buy pages I like that because it's free, and it's already going to cost a bit to get them unmounted and stored anyway.

Any idea how long this sale goes? It looks like they're closeing these out. That does worry me that if I needed more one day they may not be available?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Right! It's so nice to have so many options these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I went to a binder system because I went through a pack of 50 CD cases in about 3 months! Lol, my stamp collection just outgrew the CDs. :rolleyes:

Also, the binders are enclosed so nothing will fall out of them, one of my favorite things about these binders, by the way! ;) When I go to crops, I keep an empty binder and just pull out the panels of stamps that I want to take with me and place them in the empty binder. That way I only take what I need.

Another option you can consider is using the Scraponizer clear file folders and storing them in their clamshell case. This way you can take a file folders' worth of stamps with you to crops and a folder will easily store even the largest of stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh! Enclosed? I like that! And I just had a thought! I could cut my stamp boxes and punch holes in them to put in the binder and I wouldn't even have to buy pages I like that because it's free, and it's already going to cost a bit to get them unmounted and stored anyway.

Any idea how long this sale goes? It looks like they're closeing these out. That does worry me that if I needed more one day they may not be available?
You will still be able to get the binders.. they will just be 1 1/2" instead of 1 1/4.. thats all.. so no worrys there The sale is until they sell out of that size binders I guess...:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes