Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default How do you organize multi-packs of card stock?

I'm just wondering how most crafters organize and store packs of card stock that contain more than one color? For instance, I have a few packs of Hero Hues card stock, which contain three different colors in each pack. Two are similar (two shades of blue for instance) and one is different (pale yellow). I also have packs by other companies that contain 5 different Fall colors etc. Do you take these packs apart and organize by color, or do you keep them together?

I don't design on any design teams or anything, so don't have a need to use only specific manufacturers. I've been keeping my multi-colored stacks and packs intact, and stored separately from my color sorted card stock. However, now I'm wondering if I should break up the packs, to make it easier to find a color that I need.
Just curious what others do?
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

I break them all up and organize them by color.
fl_beachbum, Teachybaby, barblink and 2 others like this post.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

I break them up and store by color but keep a post-it on the back with the company name and color so I can order it again if I like the color.
Alice in Md, kazeka, ValerieO and 3 others like this post.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I break them up and store by color but keep a post-it on the back with the company name and color so I can order it again if I like the color.

Oh good idea. I've found myself in that situation before and couldn't remember who make the paper. On another subject...my pet peeve is when a company uses a non-removable price and SKU sticker on a sheet of open stock paper, especially when it's double sided paper. That ruins one of the sides, argh!
Karen
Old 08-05-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

Try heating it just a bit and see if it loosens. Then you can heat more, if needed and continue. I also use the plastic sticker remover gizmo for things like that.
pepperann, kazeka, ValerieO and 1 others like this post.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #6
Cardstock Collector

Default mixed cardstock colors

Check to see if the cardstock has texture and if you want your texture, perhaps store separately. Also check the weight of the paper, they are not all the same as you may recognize from each manufacturer. I break apart the color sheets and store by color tone with other papers I have, however with white...I keep different weights together because they have a purpose to themselves(65,85,100,110,120 lb.). Ex. card base, watercolor, layer, colored pencil. Here the medium used determines weight used.
kazeka and Craf-T-Bear like this post.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

Hi! I actually break up the package, store them by color in file folder drawer but add a sticky note in with each separated color listing the paper brand, SKU number from the pack, date purchased (if I know) and the other color "families" the were in the pack. That way I can re-match the colors for any project. This is done for each color. Also keep an 8.5 by 11 page protector in the folder with snip-its of scraps to be used later.
ChrisO, kazeka and Craf-T-Bear like this post.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
Crimping Master

Looks like the majority of you break the packs up and store by color and/or type. I do store my white card stock by type already with watercolor paper, glossy card stock, text weight vs card stock weight, etc.

I think I'm going to start breaking most of my packets up, because I find that I'm not using them as often, since I usually create projects by color, and not manufacturer.
Thanks for the feedback and tips.
Karen
Craf-T-Bear likes this post.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I only keep cardstock from 2 manufacturers so I keep them by colour family (SU!) or by warms, cools and neutrals for PTI. But my specialty cardstock is stored by colour. I place my Hero Arts in there too as I don’t have much as just get it in kits. I have a section for pink and purple, red/orange/yellow, green and blue (I like them together as I buy a lot of blue-green colours) then Metallica and neutrals. A lot of people buy expensive folders for cardstock but I just buy 10x12 4 mil (quite thick) zip top bags by the 100s and cut the tops off if I just want a storage pocket. Very good for subdividing inside a hanging folder.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:20 AM   #10
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I only keep cardstock from 2 manufacturers so I keep them by colour family (SU!) or by warms, cools and neutrals for PTI. But my specialty cardstock is stored by colour. I place my Hero Arts in there too as I don’t have much as just get it in kits. I have a section for pink and purple, red/orange/yellow, green and blue (I like them together as I buy a lot of blue-green colours) then Metallica and neutrals. A lot of people buy expensive folders for cardstock but I just buy 10x12 4 mil (quite thick) zip top bags by the 100s and cut the tops off if I just want a storage pocket. Very good for subdividing inside a hanging folder.

Can you post the brand of bag and where you buy them? I've been looking for something like that, but not finding the 4 mil.

Roxanne
Old 08-06-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
Cardstock Collector

I break them and store by color
craftyteaspoon and kazeka like this post.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:00 AM   #12
Kookie Creator

I would split them up and put them in whichever storage system you usually use. Maybe add a post-it note saying which other colours were in the set with each colour.

My Blog
Old 08-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

Pretty much my entire collection of paper (new to this) is vintage inspired. So I have it organized by theme, like: botanical, sea, steampunk, romantic. Most of my paper is from exactly 5 brands, so for now, this works. If I was a general crafter, I would probably do the same thing, along with some kind of color sub categegory.

Sets stay in their original packages when all possible, and cut pieces of those sets go into a sheet protector behind the original packages. I got inspired by a "flip your 12 x 12 pads storage solution" Youtube video, and made a big box for my 12 x 12 pads, and got some dividers and page protectors. It's working out great, and I love being able to flip through my stash of paper.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
Compulsive Stamper

I only recently branched out and purchased cardstock from multiple companies besides Stampin’ Up! They vary greatly in weight, texture, color, etc. For this reason I decided to keep them separate in a hanging file system.
Indigo Blue likes this post.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #15
Die Cut Diva

My paper is all organized by color, so I break them all up and have corralled in a file folder (I save -all- scraps so this helps to keep the scraps with their full-sheeted color match). The only "brand name" cardstock I really have is from Stampin' Up (though I do have a pack from Simon Says Stamp), and for those I have a post-it on the paper group with the color name so that I can order it again if I find I've used it enough for the supply to need to be restocked.

Crafting organization is so fun! But hard to get your head around until you are truly on board with a method that actually works for you!

Warmly,
Chrissy
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."

jeanne3579 likes this post.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
Cardstock Collector

Default Color and Theme

When I have over 20ct. 8.5" x 11" sheets of one color I use a file cabinet. Otherwise I put it with my 12" x 12" cardstock which is labeled and stored upright in magazine holders. I have a sheet protector in each file section to store cut pieces. Storing the cut cardstock in clear sheet protectors, filed with my cardstock sheets, has worked out better than I expected. Patterned Pieces are divided by theme or dominant color. I hope some of this helps you.