Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Red face help me finish organizing

I have tons of scrapbooking stuff. Most of which i have gotten organized. I am having a problem organizing the scraps of paper that i just can't throw away. Never know if you need just a small piece of paper of that color or design. I bought a file folder that looks like a coupon box but that filled up to soon. I would like to somewhat keep them organized but yet i don't want to sit there forever organizing. Anyone have any suggestions
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

by months?
themes?
color?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I toss all of mine into a huge basket and hope for the best really and go hunting when I need to. If it's regular paper or DP that I have an actual slot for, I'll put the scraps in a 3x5 plastic envelope.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

All my scrap paper gets put into a big 12x12 storage baggie, and I go hunting when I want something... which isn't often! lol

I think you need to start by addressing where your full sized paper is?
Vertical or Horizontal? in baggies? by color?

One idea would be to put them in smaller baggies in front of the cardstock color they match.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have all of my 12x12 paper sorted by colour (I use the dominant colour in patterned paper) and stored in 12x12 sterilite boxes that have three drawers (one colour per drawer). I put all of my scraps in the appropriate colour drawer too. For my 8.5x11, I have these stored in magazine folders, sorted by colour, and have a page protector in between each colour that I use for scraps. I have found this to be a huge help ... I often reach for the scraps first now. I did find that if I put a full size sheet in the page protector too, it helps it from getting squished between the other colours. Hope that helps!
Old 12-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Here is how I store my scraps. I have done this for years, and I always use my scrap papers before ever using a new sheet. It works awesome for me. Also, if you want to see a tutorial on how to print on small scraps, look here. I hope this is helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I would suggest organizing your scraps at least by color. I did this and found I use them a LOT more this way. I used hanging folders and have them labeled by color. Scraps of cardstock and decorative paper share the same folder if they are the same color family. Then when I work on a project I always check my scrap folder FIRST to see if I can use something from it. This helps keeps the stash down.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a problem several years ago with saving smaller scraps - thinking I would somehow be lost if I did not keep them. Then I got over it!!! I don't keep any scrap smaller than a 3 x 3 size - and even that is a bit small for me. All the solid scraps are sorted by general color group (greens, blues, etc) and placed in those 3 ring plastic dividers - but a gallon size baggie will do the same thing. For designer paper, I just keep the scraps with the rest of the similar paper, or near the closest color family.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

There was a suggestion on SCS a few months ago to separate scraps into warm, cool, neutrals, and others. I had previously thought to divide into reds, pinks, greens, etc. What a job that would be, and I never did it. But dividing into warm, cool, etc. was a breeze. Now I have three - four large ziplock bags to go through - not a lot of bags and you can actually see the colors.

I love all the suggestions on this site. Thanks.

Stasia
Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default Saving Scraps

I, too, just cannot justify throwing away scraps. I find even the smallest scrap can be used for an embellishment. Of course, this attitude got me in a lot of trouble as the scraps were overtaking my craft room! So I brought in an old double drawer filing cabinet (cheapo, had for years, but had been in the garage gathering spiders for the past 5), made a file folder for every major color, i.e., Red Solid, Red Patterned, Pink Solid, Pink Patterned, etc. I also have a folder for Christmas/Winter patterned, SU DSP scraps, Other Holiday patterned. Although it takes a few minutes several times a week to separate and place in the appropriate file, I can't tell you how easy this makes finding the right scrap when I need it quickly. And, like Tracy, I never use a full sheet until I've checked to see if I have a scrap that would do. All this paper cost me good $ at some point, and I want to utilize it as much as I can.

Good luck! It's a little time intensive at first, but those couple of hours will be well worth it as you easy identify just the scrap you need!

Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I love this check-size envelopes to store my scraps in. They are big enough to hold a 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 sheet of paper, right now my SU one is about 2 inches thick. I have all the scraps organized by color family & color. I also have my dp scraps spread out in quite a few, grouping similar ones together. I have them thrown in one of my shallow drawers, the plastic is thick enough that I'm not worried about the paper getting damaged.

I also bought the 12x12 version at Walmart...and then returned a few because I thought I wouldn't use them (?!?!?!?) and now I can't find them again. They were great for big paper packs that came with other embellishments.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I guess I'm going to be the one to say it. Just throw those teeny tiny pieces out. That's what I do now, because I know I'm never going to use them. If they're smaller than 2 inches, into the recyclables they go. The pieces that I do keep are organized by color in a Cropper Hopper accordion file that is 12 inches wide
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I agree Jeanette. Throw them OUT!

I will keep reasonable sized pieced of patterned paper or cardstock, but less than 1/4 sheet gets tossed immediately. I almost never rememeber to use scraps (other than writing grocery lists on) and even if I throw away all my scraps less than 1/4 sheet, I figure it costs me about one pack of cardstock every couple of months, so ~$5.

That $5 is SO worth it for me to not have the clutter and mess and feel like I have to spend precious crafting time hunting through a big pile of scraps for just the right piece.

SU cardstock scraps are sorted back into the file folder where the rest of that color is. PP scraps are stored with the rest of the pack. I have one set of file folders that are sorted by color, but I'm getting rid of them as I never use them.

If your crafting budget can afford a few $$$ once in a while, I say throw them all out. You'll be a happy crafter.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just to play devil's advocate, here are a few cards I've made using 1" square scraps. That a lot of you, according to what you said, would have thrown away.

Happy Holidays
Stitched Stocking
Noel Quilt
Merry Christmas

When the scraps are organized, they're easy to find and store and don't take up much space at all!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Love those cards, Tracy! Wonderful use of scraps...

I also like to place small squares (using my S/U punch) onto lightweight cardstock and use my top note die in my BS...that makes a nice background for cards, also using up coordinating paper scraps.

I don't keep EVERY scrap...I certainly manage to recycle PLENTY of paper . I only keep those that can be used with a punch.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I use an expandable folder, that I have labelled with colors. Every scrap gets thrown into a color section and when I need a specific piece I just look in the pocket and there are all my scraps for that color.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

i store all of my paper scraps in a su cello bag on top of each color of paper, which is stored in a paper sorter with 48 trays. i always use my scraps first. when i first started i had them by family, but when su changed colors, i dumped all of the scraps and started this new system.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I keep mine by color and I have a 3 drawer plastic container (I have about 4 of these--12 drawers altogether) that I keep mine in by color. If I start to get too much, I grab some scrap out and put them in a cello bag as part of a hostess gift. Works great for me!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

I use a four drawer storage chest from The Container Store.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...uctId=10001493

It is a bit pricecy, but are really worth it to keep me organized!

I have two of these and put them back-to-back on a lazy susan on top of the file cabinet where I keep all of my 8 1/2 x 11 paper in hanging folders.

One storage chest is for all SU colors. One drawer for each color family. The other storage chest is for neutrals and SU DSP scraps. The drawers pull out and are easy to bring to the table. When my 5-year-old niece comes over I pull out a few drawers and she loves to create using my scraps!

I agree that if you have your scraps organized you will be more likely to use them.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Tracy, I love your cards! You have inspired me!!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Default Scraps give me stress!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcmluv2stampView Post
i store all of my paper scraps in a su cello bag on top of each color of paper, which is stored in a paper sorter with 48 trays. i always use my scraps first. when i first started i had them by family, but when su changed colors, i dumped all of the scraps and started this new system.
I store my scraps the same way -- in cello bags with the full-size paper, each color in its own slot. Every so often I get tired of all the scraps and toss the smaller ones -- we recycle so I don't feel too bad about waste...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Talking A BIG THANKS

Thank you all for your great ideas. It will be easier now that I have some ideas in mind. Great cards as well. Some day i will post some of my cards I have made. But I am sure mine wont be as nice as the ones i have seen. Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzziegalView Post
I keep mine by color and I have a 3 drawer plastic container (I have about 4 of these--12 drawers altogether) that I keep mine in by color. If I start to get too much, I grab some scrap out and put them in a cello bag as part of a hostess gift. Works great for me!!!
I use the little 3 drawer units and have 4 of them. Anything 4.25"X5.5" or less goes in a drawer by color. DP is mixed in using predominant color. I have 2 accordion files one fits 8.5"X5.5" size and one that fits 6"X12" size papers. At the end of the week I sort through the massive odd assortment of papers next to my trimmer. I do check the appropriate sized container before I cut a new piece of CS. Now over the holidays I've accumulated a small 3"x3" box on my desk top for those tiny scraps, little bits of "foo-foo" that didn't work for what I wanted but are way too cute to toss. I'm guessing that these will get tossed if not used soon.

After the holidays my craft room looks like somebody stuck gobs of weird stuff in piles on my shelves and every other horizontal surface. Who would do such a thing????

Happy New Years everyone. Let's pray it's a good one.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

For 8 1/2 x 11" card stock, I have a hanging file thingy that I got from Costco (but you could use any hanging file system). I have a hanging file for every color with the tab labeled with the color and name. In front of the whole sheets of paper, I have a tabbed manila file folder with my scraps for that color. I have forced myself to check for scraps first. It works great. I don't have great options for 12" or patterned paper yet.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet KView Post
Tracy, I love your cards! You have inspired me!!
Yay! Glad I could help!!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Ok I love this one!!! All you need is;
2 Strelite Large Show off Contatiners, the big one with the handle at the top or something comprable in size with theses dimensions L 12" W 8" H 12" roughly
About 30-35 Page protectors
A space to sort and some good tunes.
Seperate patterened paper from plain.
Seperate Plain colors ex... Reds,Blues,Greens etc... then put each individual color in a page protector and organize as you like.
Do the same with the patterened paper.
You can bring this project in for about $30 or less depending on where you shop.
I have been using this system for over 2 years and it ROCKS!!! You may even have a container at home that may work.
Remember the 3R's We crafty people are the most creative recyclers ever!!!!!!!
Enjoy you newly organized space!!!!
Shelley
Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

For my scraps i use a plastic 6 drawer (12x12) unit. (the ones you can pick up just about anywhere!) I have them labeled with 2-3 colours per drawer plus one for scraps of papers with prints on them.

Tiffy
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep them for a little while, then toss them in the recycling usually.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #29  
Sis
Kookie Creator

I have so much paper and all sizes. Now I toss the leftovers. I have years ahead of me to use what I have..... LOL But I love all your ideas and such organized people. It is just a pleasure to be at this board.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a similar method that Janet K. suggested, and for the smaller pieces I use SU clamshells, I divide them by colour and put matching coloured dots on them so I can see at a glance which colour is in the clamshell or storage container. Since I have adopted this method I find I use my scraps more frequently.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

I use cheap, off-brand zip-lock bags to keep each color's scraps along with the storage of the full-sheets. That way, I will look in the scrap bag before I cut a full sheet of cardstock. I do the same with the designer papers.

Here is a card I did with just narrow strips of paper:
Dasher Top Note Collage

Maybe it is my quilting background, but I have a hard time parting with scraps.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Default left-over paper

Hi. I have two boxes around 81/2"x11" right under my table, on each side of me. I put solids in one, patterned in the other. I also have a large labeled ziplock- for florals specifically, and a smaller one in my paper cabinet for different types of paper: mulberry, vellum etc. Both types of ziplocks stay open and are taped (by the back piece of ziplock on to the door, which I keep open while playing.

They either need to be long strips...or at least 2x2" big.

Oh...and ALL of my HOLIDAY (Christmas/Chanukah) materials of any type fits into 2 drawers, for easy use when working on the 2010 Christmas Card Challenge.

If it can be used for regular or holiday it goes with regular.

Hope that helps you out!

He is Able,
Traci