Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default The Great Purge A-HA!

Even though I keep purging and gifting and reorganizing and all the rest of it, I still keep feeling overwhelmed by what's left. This morning I woke up with what is - for me - THE KEY. Instead of hanging on to everything that I still like enough to keep hanging on to it, I am asking myself two questions and BEING VERY HONEST WITH MY ANSWERS:
  1. Will you honestly, truthfully, really-o, truly-o USE this?
  2. HOW? (THIS question is the big a-ha...)
If I can't answer those two questions, then I get rid of it or don't buy it in the first place.

Case in point: I adore Stacey Yacula's adorable critter stamps and own quite a few. Purple Onion Designs is running a 25% off everything on the site sale through the end of the month. I loaded up my cart, asked the questions, took out all but four items. I have already designed at least five cards in my head for those four items, so I'm good to go.

Do I love the things I took out of the cart? Yes - yes, I do! BUT - if they are just being admired and not used, there is ZERO point in bringing them into my space. I will admire them on other people's creations...

Note to those who have purged successfully: Joan B is right - you can't get smug about it, 'cuz more creeps in and you have to do it again... ;)

Last edited by gregzgurl; 07-23-2016 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: clarify
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this advice is sound... however..... it is difficult not to fall into the "gotta have it" trap...... I'll try to show restraint......

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely agree Sue. The thing I discovered was that I had to accept my taste/methods had changed over the years, and what worked for me once wasn't any longer. It was just occupying space. As you say, so rightly, you have to be brutally honest with yourself about whether or not you will use it. Definitely use it, not just 'one day'! The other thing is to realise that yes, you may have paid good money for it when you bought it, but no matter how long you hold on to it, you will not get that back. That particular one took me a while to realise.So, just breathe and let it go. Now, I've decided I'd rather know it's gone/going to someone who will use it for it's intended purpose, not just as a dust collector!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had another a-ha last night as I was indexing some new stamps and packaging up some purged ones to send into the flow...

We tend to hang onto stamps (and paper and embellishments and whatever), rationalizing that "I paid good money for this, so how can I get rid of it?" It occurred to me that we NEVER ask this question (or, at least, I don't) when we're getting rid of clothes that are out of style or that we've outgrown - we just take them out of the closet or drawer and put in new ones that fit our style and body. Ditto on redecorating our homes - we may not do it as often, but we still do it when we realize that the current surroundings don't reflect who we are, or need refreshing, or whatever. Why, then, do we get so hung up on the stamp stuff? We need to collectively get over ourselves and move along...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Great points Sue!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Speak for yourself! LOL I DO say "I paid good money for X" whatever it may be! Thus do I have some clothes I should not in storage...but every year I cull out a bit more...

I also need to do this with jewelry. (not good stuff) and just general stuff. I wish I could do garage sales but I am stuck with the one building sale.

I find as I re-org stuff I just find things that I say "why did I do this?" and I pop it into the to go bag. Or that I have 2-3 that are just too similar to justify keeping all of them. Much less painless than a dedicated purge.

BTW-you got me back on Cats Pajamas...I did a Purple Onion order today! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That "I paid good money for this" is the key behind everything. That's the reason my mom hoards, and it drives me nuts. Even if you paid a thousand dollars for that, if you're never gonna use it, it's no good to keep! I purge stuff every month at the least, and feel great about it. My style and likes change all the time. I recently looked through my stamps and dies and papers and purged a few, which I'll be giving to my aunt, and some I gave away to someone here. But I purge clothes, decorations, and even bed sheets all the time. I love having a clutter-free environment; it helps with my depression and keeps my stress levels low.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

When I hear/read "I paid good money for this," it makes me wonder if anyone pays bad money for something. : )

I agree. If something isn't loved, used or will definitely be used, what is its value? For me it might as well be rocks from outside. (And not pretty rocks you'd want to save.)

Twice I've purged/organized/labeled/decorated the pantry/laundry room off the kitchen. But "stuff creep" happens. This weekend I noticed a few things on the floor and draped over the sink.

Ugh. That can mean only one thing: we have too much stuff. Again. So I scanned the room and pulled a couple of large items for the donate box. There was a minor "ouch," but worth it. If three years from now I need it? I'll buy one. Meanwhile the space and I can breathe.

In the past when purging, sometimes for a jump-start I'd make pretend there's one fewer shelf than is really there.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

What I posted above may make it seem like I've got it together. No. While there are spaces in good shape, like the great garage re-do, complete with wall art, my craft room/office/hall is a wreck.

I'm starting 5 for 5* today, but decision-making is rough. For the business, what stays and what goes? What do I do with the really expensive "tools" and resources manufacturers have provided? While semi-retired, I'll accept the occasional job, especially from old clients or referrals.

When the garage was 9/10ths done, including painting, floor epoxying and new shelving, I got royally stuck, and rewarded myself by hiring a professional organizer. But finding the right match can be hard, and I'd rather not spend the bucks. But I might still do that for just part of this job.

Down-sizing a business is harder in my head than shutting it down completely.

* 5 minutes for 5 days
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I so agree about the money thing. I'm trying to remember two things:
1. I already paid that good money. That money is gone.
2. I paid tons of good money for my home, and if I'm not able to enjoy it because of the clutter then that really is a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default purging

Oh I hear you and you are right the home is the most expensive thing I have ever paid good money for.
I have a new mantra and I'm trying to control myself.....
IF I HAVE MORE THAN I NEED I WILL SHARE IT, AND IF I NEED SOMETHING I WILL BORROW IT. That way I am forced to use what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I keep buying stamps, pastes, sprays, tools etc to try new techniques.....that turn out poorly. Just today I did this and now I want to quit the hobby...at least for today. I am not a natural artist and should keep things at my simple level so I don't get frustrated and mad at my stamps. I was doing so well until this year I tried to make it complicated, expensive, and cluttered. Wonder if all hobbies make people a bit obsessive��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't beat yourself up too much, Chris! Give yourself the credit you deserve for trying something new - you learned something, and education totally counts! If it doesn't float your boat or causes aggravation, well, you learned that, too, didn't you? Plenty of other things to try, and you may find that with time and practice you CAN get results you're happy with. Nobody gets on a bike for the first time and takes off blithely down the road - you have to suffer a few bumps and scrapes before you get the hang of it...

My experience with hobbies of any kind is that they ALL have the potential to become obsessions (I know some crazy golfers, for example, and don't even get me started on our Harley friends...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I keep buying stamps, pastes, sprays, tools etc to try new techniques.....that turn out poorly. Just today I did this and now I want to quit the hobby...at least for today. I am not a natural artist and should keep things at my simple level so I don't get frustrated and mad at my stamps. I was doing so well until this year I tried to make it complicated, expensive, and cluttered. Wonder if all hobbies make people a bit obsessive��
Yes!

I've spent mega $$$ for unused items, including for a different past hobby that's much more expensive than this one. Now I try to wait before checking out on line, revisiting the cart much later. That helps me resist. Sometimes. : )

For me trying new techniques is as much about what does not fit as what does. It's as much a process of elimination as addition.

So many techniques are beautiful, but they're not me. I'm not a natural artist either. But I've slow-as-mud, balkily learned that everyone has a voice.

I live on a semi-wooded lot by a tiny lake, and have bird feeders, so hear birds all day. Some only sing one or two notes. Some sing and call literally dozens. Do we say the bird with two notes should stop singing? Every bird gets to sing a song.

Hang in there; keep singing.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks ladies and you are so right Beth, it is about the process of elimination as well, and I know just what to eliminate. Love your birdie analogy.....I listen to them every morning.
FYI......I am a Beth also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 07:26 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Thanks ladies and you are so right Beth, it is about the process of elimination as well, and I know just what to eliminate. Love your birdie analogy.....I listen to them every morning.
FYI......I am a Beth also.
Hi Beth!
Beth

P.S. I'm in VA near DC and MD. If you're also here, maybe we are each other. ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Speaking of birds, a fave book is "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life," by Anne Lamott. While it's about removing obstacles for writers, I'm not a writer. It helped start me up and keep me going many times, when purging/organizing/decorating our "wreck" room and garage. Short, quirky, not a self help book.

The title? She writes (on Amazon and B&N):

"Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that he'd had three months to write. It was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brother's shoulder, and said, 'Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird.'"

Time for a refresher.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Some-Ins.../dp/0385480016

Last edited by bjeans; 07-28-2016 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: left out words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Well that is most strange. I was Amazon's site and the Walmart link came up. I don't even shop at Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Some-Ins...s=bird+by+bird
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 03:28 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I get rid of clothes but then again I used them much more than some of my stamps get used! Haha! Maybe that's the problem.

Also, I get rid of clothes, household decor, etc. that I no longer like. All the stamps I have I like! I've gotten rid of the ones I don't like! So there's lots of sets I like and even more that I LOVE but rarely use!

I find the stamps that get little love many times pop up as needed. Today I'm making a card with my two camping sets for my granddaughter that's leaving for camp today.

I love my camping stamps but don't use them often. Today I will!

I also get extra mileage out of my stamps by using them for my job and I also make desk calendars for friends and co-workers. That helps me use older sets.

I don't buy lots anymore and really "think" before I buy. I'm mainly SU and that keeps me in check. I only buy when I go to a class.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-31-2016 at 03:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 02:20 AM   #20  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=bjeans;21286580]Speaking of birds, a fave book is "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life," by Anne Lamott. While it's about removing obstacles for writers, I'm not a writer. It helped start me up and keep me going many times, when purging/organizing/decorating our "wreck" room and garage. Short, quirky, not a self help book.

One of my all-time favorite books and mantras. I think of this whenever I am facing an overwhelming task regardless of what it is, it does really help.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 04:28 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been reading all of your messages about regarding The Great Purge A-Ha!. Needless to say I am in a similar dilemma and it makes me feel a bit better to know I am not the only one is this situation. The fact that I have company is comforting. I have been a SU demonstrator for over 15 years and I literally have thousands of stamps/stamp sets. I like most of you hold that stamp set in my hands and try to find an excuse to keep it. Maybe I might like one stamp out of the set and just don't want to give it up. But, I know I need to do something soon. Do you just give your purged stamp sets away like your clothes to Goodwill? Or do you try to sell them. I understand the concept of just getting rid of things, but I have a mental block on the fact that I spent good money on this and its hard to just give it away. I tried to eBay some things, but I am not sure it is worth the effort of photographing and listing and running to the post office....getting very little return for all the work. It seems people just aren't buying many stamps these days. Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

Do I purge???? Not really.....I just move stuff from my area to my grandkids craft area! LOL And if theres too much of anything I try to make little craft kits that I give to the grandkids and grand nieces to tsake home to do. I am a TOOL horder tho!! I love gadgets and I almost never second guess my purchases because it can always go to the kids! Hahahaha....................That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marylandgirl46View Post
I have been reading all of your messages about regarding The Great Purge A-Ha!. Needless to say I am in a similar dilemma and it makes me feel a bit better to know I am not the only one is this situation. The fact that I have company is comforting. I have been a SU demonstrator for over 15 years and I literally have thousands of stamps/stamp sets. I like most of you hold that stamp set in my hands and try to find an excuse to keep it. Maybe I might like one stamp out of the set and just don't want to give it up. But, I know I need to do something soon. Do you just give your purged stamp sets away like your clothes to Goodwill? Or do you try to sell them. I understand the concept of just getting rid of things, but I have a mental block on the fact that I spent good money on this and its hard to just give it away. I tried to eBay some things, but I am not sure it is worth the effort of photographing and listing and running to the post office....getting very little return for all the work. It seems people just aren't buying many stamps these days. Any suggestions???
I just want to address the two things I've highlighted: I give away my stamps when I'm over them, so if there's a stamp or two in the set that I still want, I keep it! Hey - they're getting it for free, so no cause for complaint, ya know?

The second thing I highlighted is the reason WHY I give them away - too much work to chase down too few dollars! As far as the "I spent good money on this" concept, it's been addressed here already, but I'll reiterate: if it no longer serves any useful purpose for you but guilt, why would you CHOOSE that? The money is long gone, we spend "good money" on plenty of other things without angst - move it out into the flow to serve someone else...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 06:23 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Marylandgirl46,

Well, I did start one thing recently but only with my retired/non SU wood sets...

I BROKE UP THE SET!!

I finally realized that there were several older sets that I was keeping because of really 1-2 individual stamps. And I thought, hey I OWN THIS. I can split up or get rid of whatever I want!! It sounds silly when I type it right now but it really was an a-ha for me.

I've got lots of individual wood stamps, so once I bit the bullet and pulled out only the ones I want to keep, it was easy to add them right in with my existing storage. There were prolly 5 sets that I edited down to like 6 or 7 stamps.

So consider the idea of breaking up sets ... as for your actual question, I have a nice group of fellow stampers here that I see regularly. Occasionally one of us will have a purge and either have them out for sale cheap when we meet, or just have a basket or two of freebies -- "take it if you want it; after I leave here it's going to donation" which usually clears most of it out heh.

Last edited by RenT; 08-03-2016 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

One other thought about just donating -- if you have a local preschool, or by some chance an elementary school that still does art, they might be thrilled to get some supplies.

I agree with gregzgurl, I don't want to spend a lot of time/effort finding a new home for my stuff. So I give it a shot with friends or maybe a preschool, but really I just want it gone.

When I can't find a quick and easy new home for those last things though, I donate to Goodwill. There's a collection center right by my house so it is super convenient. And I look at it like, hey there's gonna be some crafter in a goodwill store sometime who will be thrilled at her find! Passing along the joy that I no longer get from those things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Purging..easier said than done. I have comfort in knowing that we all carry this guilt on our shoulders...I paid for it and am not using it. Some of you are leaders in getting us to move on...something needed. I had a uncomfortable experience with donating to a friends school recently so I am looking to find a better way to donate. I guess I was looking for a thank you at least and did not feel like the stuff was being passed along for others to enjoy. I working on another box of stuff, so will see be thinking more on where it goes.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 361 Likes on 198 Posts

I usually list my unwanted items on SCS for the chance someone might be looking for a specific set, but I don't keep beating a dead horse - if after 30 days and the BST expires I will put into the yard sale stuff (only if I am planning a sale anytime soon) or it gets donated to school (only age appropriate items), Salvation Army or Helping Hands (a local thrift store that aids those in need). So when you see my BST list - it won't be on another BST list again and again. My time is valuable and I don't want to keep using my time and energy for something that I no longer want. I get rid of it and move on.
As Sue said - the money is spent and you will not get your money out of it. I think of my time as money - so I move on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 361 Likes on 198 Posts

Another place to donate items is your church. Last year I did a huge purge and took a mountain of printed papers & cardstock, stamps, inks, embellishments, etc. to my church. I told the secretary that it was for anyone who could use it - women's groups, children's classes, VBS, AWANAS, etc. She thanked me, but I never heard from anyone else; however, I wasn't expecting it and I'm okay with that.
I guess I prefer doing things in secret. As a child I was very shy and did not like anyone bringing attention to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

"When I hear/read "I paid good money for this," it makes me wonder if anyone pays bad money for something. : )"
GENIUS COMMENT! I am sooooo going to borrow that for, imho, borderline hoarder friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marylandgirl46View Post
I recently talked with a friend. She gave some old wood sets to another friend, who put them on eBay for $5, and got no bites. She ended up putting the rest of her wood sets in a dumpster. She found it rather cathartic. If people don't want them, so be it.
I think I would have taken them to goodwill, but who knows. They could still end up in a dumpster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 03:56 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I recently talked with a friend. She gave some old wood sets to another friend, who put them on eBay for $5, and got no bites. She ended up putting the rest of her wood sets in a dumpster. She found it rather cathartic. If people don't want them, so be it.
I think I would have taken them to goodwill, but who knows. They could still end up in a dumpster.
I'm all for getting things out of your space (obviously), but putting usable stamps in a dumpster is sacrilege - plain and simple...

(you know i'm kidding, right? sort of...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #32  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 607 Likes on 427 Posts

I sometimes look at the ISO threads to see if I have anything that anyone else wants. I have sold some sets, but get more pleasure from giving things away. I just sent some House mouse stamps to someone, some embellishments and cards fronts to someone else. I am in Wish-RAK so I can share there too.

The secret is buying less. I think long and hard before buying. It is easier now that most of the stores in area are gone. I do have a great SU demo and have been buying from her. I still consider myself a scrapper who stamps! So I have lots of sb stuff, but I know what I will scrap and buy accordingly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Re reading this thread was really helpful to me today. I have a big group of items I purged with the intent of putting them in the community garage sale over a month ago. Well I was too lazy to do it that day thinking there wouldn't be much traffic with unpleasant weather so it's sat under my craft table making me CRAZY! You are all correct the money is already gone and it is more stressful to be tripping on it and probably not getting any real financial return on the effort then to give it to someone else who could find joy with it, be that friends or Goodwill. I too check the ISO thread just in case I have something someone else will value. Just this morning I texted some of my stamp customers about a tool I was no longer using and someone was SUPER excited to receive it. Made my day and gave me momentum to continue. Thanks for the wise advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I'm glad I 'stumbled' onto this thread. I read in the Reader's Digest, some years ago about getting rid of the 'stuff' in our lives. If it does not bring you joy, get rid of it. Sell, donate or dump! We are moving from Oregon to Texas at the end of the month and, needless to say, my craft supplies are taking up quite a bit of space on the moving van. I have purged massive amounts of 'stuff' and it was a wonderful, eye opening experience for me and I'm sure I will be doing some more when we have completed our move. I know I have 'spent good money' on my 'stuff', but getting rid of it brings more happiness and relief than any amount of money can buy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #35  
Glitter Queen

Senior Centers are another great place to donate your stuff to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly where I am at right now. There are sooo many things that I want to sell that are for the most part new or very gently used and I just don't want to give them away so I hang on to them. I'm stuck with them getting older but still useful. Rubber stamp and sets, punches, paper, etc. HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
This is exactly where I am at right now. There are sooo many things that I want to sell that are for the most part new or very gently used and I just don't want to give them away so I hang on to them. I'm stuck with them getting older but still useful. Rubber stamp and sets, punches, paper, etc. HELP!!!
It's much, much easier to "just give things away" if you're giving them to someone who is excited to get them - senior centers, boys' and girls' clubs, school resource centers - all have been listed as viable options. RAK is another way to get things out of your space, as well. I'm going to go look at the ISO thread RIGHT NOW, as a matter of fact - maybe someone is looking for something I'm not loving/using any more (don't know why I haven't done that before, actually)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2016, 03:47 AM   #38  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm purging my way overcrowded " stamp mess". I find it quite difficult, but when I asked my daughter in law if she would like any of my stuff -she said yes! She teaches elementary school and she says she can always use paper, stamps, inks for her class. I gave her a water colouring set that I had, and she loved it so much, she is keeping it for herself. She has offered to come over and help me purge and organize . It is so much easier to purge when you know the stamps etc are going to someone who can put them to good use and also appreciates them.

Thanks for starting this thread. My purge is kind of slow - but you are helping me , as is my daughter in law Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I could never purge my stamps or I would have nothing to use. I buy only what I have plans to use. When I started card making maybe 4 years ago and back then I had NOTHING. I only bought what I needed. Well you all know how that goes paper cutter, cuttlebug, ink $$$. I have bought a few stamps from members but it is very hard for me to know from the name what it is which turns into looking it up stamp-in up. I love animals stamps so that is what I usually look for. My best purchase has been my Misti.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Wonder if after all these years I am burned out with cardmaking. I find I don't want to use the big shot, die cuts, or punches.......punches almost seem outdated.
I keep thinking go back to what you like most.....simple stamping, until I made it complicated with brushes, stencils, paints, watercolor techniques etc. Everything is messy.
wow, I'm no fun. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Likes