Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Evernote v. Google Drive

I got the Evernote app for my phone several years ago but never used it. I heard it recommended here, so I signed up for a free account and have started using it. However, it seems that what people like about it (such as keyword tags) are doable in Google Drive.

So...for those that have used both:
Am I missing something? I admit to very little use of Evernote just yet, but I don't want to take the time to put everything there if I can just track it all in Google Drive, which is a system I'm very familiar using.

What are the advantages of each, where do they overlap, and are there any problems for either one?

I noticed that a lot of those that suggest Evernote have purchased a higher level beyond the free (basic) one. I like free when possible, but I'm not opposed to the middle tier if it's really worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Evernote and really like it. I did spring for the middle tier as I did not think it was too much $ for what I get. I really wanted to be able to use it from all my devices, both for input and access. I also like splitting my products into notebooks, and really appreciate the search function, among others. I use Google Drive only for the basics, so don't know enough about it to tell if it can do all the same things, but if so, I'd say go for what works for you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I use the basic Evernote version. I have it installed on my laptop and phone. I've created separate notebooks to inventory embossing folders, dies, inks & dyes, stamps, stencils and more. Love being able to click the note to see what the item looks like and the tags. It keeps me from buying duplicate products. There is a 60 mb upload limit the the basic level. I've only hit my limit a couple of times. I just wait til the next month to upload. I'm slowly working on my stamp inventory and have a long way to go!

You have me curious about Google Drive. Would you use a spreadsheet to keep an inventory? I'm not familiar with all the resources available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Yes, I keep a spreadsheet of my inventory. It's easy enough to upload photos and you can search for words (such as tags or keywords) within your Drive. You can create folders, etc., which seems to be like the Notebooks in Evernote. Since it's all in the cloud, you can access it any time, from any device--no limits other than the size of your Drive in total. It's free unless you need more space in the Drive--which I've never needed.

Anyone familiar with both who can highlight some differences?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you add tags in Drive? Or I suppose you wouldn't need them with a spreadsheet.

I think of Evernote like a file cabinet. Each note is a "piece of paper", and I sort them into notebooks. But the notes can have tags. And you can search for keywords in all your notes. The search looks at the tags and info within the note itself.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post
Anyone familiar with both who can highlight some differences?

Okay, I haven't really used Google Drive all that much, but I use Excel spreadsheets every day... just not for my crafty inventory. Spreadsheets are great for lists, but Evernote is more like a database. I think the two biggest differences, for me, are (1) ease of entering data, and (2) search function capabilities.

When I add a new inventory item in Evernote, I create a new "note". This note can include multiple pictures, texts, audio, links, timed reminders... even spreadsheets, LOL. Each of my notes has a picture of the item, or sometimes multiple pictures (such as "examples using this set"). I include the manufacturer, part number, when & when purchased, how much I paid... all sorts of things. I have a template, so this goes very fast. If it's a stamp set with words, I quickly type out all of the sentiments into the body of the note.

To do this same thing with a spreadsheet, I'd have to decide on what information I was going to track, and give it a "space", creating columns or rows, for lots and lots and lots of different things. In Evernote, I just start typing. Everything I want goes into that one note. I don't have to figure out how to make it fit in the appropriate "cell".

I also add links between items within Evernote. If a die set matches a set of stamps, than there is a line that says "coordinates with...", and I will actually link the notes to each other. Or, if I've used a stamp set in my card classes, I can link to a note detailing the card design. And my card design notes can link back to every supply I used to make them.

And then there's the Evernote search feature. If I want to wish someone a "Happy Towel Day!", I can search the word "towel", and find everywhere that it is mentioned in a note. Yes, you can do that with a spreadsheet, but with Evernote, I can take it a step further. I can look for only dies with the word "towel" in them. I can look specifically for a "towel" stamp by Lawn Fawn. I keep track of current and retired Stampin' Up! stuff, so I can search just "current Stampin' Up! towel stuff", etc. And you can save search parameters, so if you routinely find yourself in need of a towel sentiment, you can have a ready-made search button.
And this works even better with a more common word, like Birthday, where you can get really specific. Evernote immediately pulls up just the results of your search, with the pix all clearly visible.

And it is also available from all of my devices. (I pay the small fee for constant access on as many devices as I'd like. If you have the free account, I think you can only have your info "open" on two devices at a time.) I really hate using my smart phone, for anything other than phone calls... but having the Evernote app on it has saved me numerous times. I use Evernote now for all sorts of things, so if I'm on the go, and I need a piece of information, I pull up Evernote, hit the search button, type in any word or description, and immediately I can see every single possibility. Seriously, if I can do this on my cheap Tracfone, ANYONE can.

Like I said, I use Evernote for anything and everything I can think of. I can type "Lawn Fawn mouse", and find all of my favorite mice stamps in a flash. But I can also type "Monster Cookies" and immediately find the recipe for my favorite cookies. Or "MRI", and immediately find the date from 6 years ago that I had an MRI done on my shoulder, and where it was done, and who asked for it, etc.

Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm sure that Google Drive is the same way. Yes, I pay for Evernote, but only because I absolutely fell in love with the program, and it's worth it to me.

But... whatever works for you is what you should use. I did try an inventory of sorts, in Excel, many years ago. It didn't work for me, but it might work just fine for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thank you! This is really helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes