Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embossing Powders.... do you?

Keep them in their original containers or put them in those tupperware like containers? I like the convenience of having the powders in the plastic containers so I can sprinkle the powder over my project and then emboss with little clean up time..... but I also like that the little pots of embossing powders store so neatly and don't take up so much space. What do you all think? Pros/cons?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I have all mine still in original containers. Small and compact to get the one you want. But i have to admit I love my embossing powders and use them all the time.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I do both. The powders I use most often like clear, gold, silver, etc I put in the plastic containers. I usually buy these ones in larger quantities. The ones I don't use often or specialty ones are left in their original containers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Detail clear in a sandwich-size Gladware container with a plastic spoon kept inside with the powder; all others in their original container. I use coffee filters to catch the powders when I use them, so I can easily pour them back into the jar The powders don't stick to the filter, they pour easily down the "ridges" in the filter into the jar, and I don't feel guilty if/when I throw the filter away. I use them for glitter, too...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do both as well. Have the clear embossing powder, silver and gold in take away plastic containers, so easy to use and no wastage. Plastic spoon in the container so nice and contained. Small containers with colour embossing powder I tend to leave in original containers and use with foam trays for catching excess. These trays have a funnel like lip in one corner for pouring unused powder back in jars. If I had the room I think I would put all in containers with little spoon as there is less wastage and cleaning up when finished using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Sue, great tip with the coffee filters!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep all in the original containers, stored upside down so I can see the colors easily, except for the two I use most: clear and white. Those are purchased in larger quantities and stored in the sandwich containers with a plastic spoon from one of the local frozen yogurt places.

I save misprints at work and use that paper under me when I work. It's easy to get the loose powder back in to the little containers. I bought one of those trays designed for embossing powders, but hated it. It seemed like the powder stuck to it, so I couldn't get all of it back in to the container and I felt like I couldn't clean it out well either. When I'm done embossing, I simply toss the piece of paper I was using in the recycling bin.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I did once upon a time move mine to containers with lids because, of that scoop and dump thing. I had seen it at an SU demo's house and she was in a wheelchair so it seemed like such a good idea at the time but, I had too many colors and it just took up too much room and of course I had changed my mind after tossing all the original containers. SO, I ended up with some clear round containers from Micheal's so I could manage the wasted space thing a little better and I leave them all in their original containers now.

now glitter is another story though and I have been moving it to vintage salt shakers because I like how it looks... (and I rarely use loose dry glitter)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Detail clear in a sandwich-size Gladware container with a plastic spoon kept inside with the powder; all others in their original container. I use coffee filters to catch the powders when I use them, so I can easily pour them back into the jar The powders don't stick to the filter, they pour easily down the "ridges" in the filter into the jar, and I don't feel guilty if/when I throw the filter away. I use them for glitter, too...
Great tip sue! Thx!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I do both. My clear, white and black are in plastic sandwich containers from the dollar store as these are the ones I use most. This works really well for me. The other colors all remain in their original containers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I have mine in their original container. I just know what company I'm using. I suppose I could label containers if I needed to, but I like many is looking at storage issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #12  
LYP
Rubber Obsessor

I store mine in the original containers and put them in a Keurig drawer. They fit perfectly. I got tired of trying to read the little print on the lids to find the right powder so punched circles of coordinating card stock with my 1-3/4 inch circle punch and glued them to the top of the lids. Works great and looks pretty and colorful, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

I keep mine in their original containers EXCEPT for my "mixed" container. I put little bits of leftover powders in a plastic container, blissfully mixing any and all colors. It makes for a fun and funky color. Right now the new color leans toward purple, but it obviously changes depending on what leftover powder goes into the mix. Lots of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've decanted mine into cheap 1litre plastic tubs. I also store a small plastic spoon in the tub. Recently saw that jennifer mcguire has stuck cable hook type things to the lid of her boxes to hold the spoon. Ingenious!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I have both jars and plastic tubs with desiccant bags to stop clumping in a drawer. I also use coffee filters or the trays with the pouring spouts. I use the embossing buddy on the trays first, just like you do on the cs before embossing. That way the powders come out easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

In the original containers because I want to know the brand and color name for re-buying. I would never remember otherwise! lol

I also use scrap paper under my work...I find the excess non stick powder from my poof keeps it from sticking to that paper. But I keep hearing/seeing the coffee filter thing with people who use it ALL the time in demos so I have to think there is something to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

The filters are better for me because of their bowl shape. When I used scrap paper I always wound up losing powder trying to bend the paper to dump it back in.

Question on the side.....Where are you all buying your bulk embossing powder? I'm looking for a good source.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have enough room for larger containers. And I've heard Jennifer McGuire say that the larger containers cause more static than smaller containers because they are made from plastic that is not static-free but static-less. I use a small powder catcher that is made from a sheet of plastic with die cut corners that lock together to make a 3-D shape with a pour spout. It has much less static that the solid ones you can buy in craft stores or from SU! But the major drawback to this system is the few stray particles of dark powder that gets in the white and clear powder.

Ive found two tricks to help. 1: Divide your powders by putting most of it in an old jar or baggie. Then if your jar does become contaminated (or your kid or pet knocks it over) all is not lost. 2: I also use coffee filters to pour powder back in the jar. You can write on them which is for clear and for white and save them. Tuck them in your EP drawer, no need to toss them after use. Or save them and make flowers.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Original containers, both for taking up less space, and for knowing who made what! i also use scrap copy paper underneath to pour it back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

I moved mine to the mediumish clamshells SU used to send stamps in....Each one has a spoon in it and the top is labeled with Sharpie as to the color...They stack well and are in a Really Strong Box (have about 75 of these in lots of sizes) along with my heat gun and embossing buddy. The only embossing item that won't fit in the box is my 16 x 16 tile that I place under the CS when heat embossing....

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

All but clear are in original containers. The clear is in a Tupperware "bowl" with a small spoon. I wiped the bowl with a dryer sheet to minimize the static.

Instead of a coffee filter, I use the wax paper sandwich sheets that have a fold in them. I bought a cox a Costco that I've had for years. I reuse it until it gets wrinkled and then just toss it.

the last time I bought in bulk was years ago and I'm still working off the same 1 lb bag but it's getting low. I think the next time Joann's or Michaels has a sale I'm just going to buy a few containers as I just don't use enough clear to warrant buying a large quantity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindalrdView Post
I do both. The powders I use most often like clear, gold, silver, etc I put in the plastic containers. I usually buy these ones in larger quantities. The ones I don't use often or specialty ones are left in their original containers.
Ditto. As for the containers I use, I picked up some little tubs at hobby lobby with these pink lids. They're about 5x3 and don't take up too much space. Perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYPView Post
I store mine in the original containers and put them in a Keurig drawer. They fit perfectly. I got tired of trying to read the little print on the lids to find the right powder so punched circles of coordinating card stock with my 1-3/4 inch circle punch and glued them to the top of the lids. Works great and looks pretty and colorful, too!
2 great tips; thanks !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MausView Post
I have both jars and plastic tubs with desiccant bags to stop clumping in a drawer. I also use coffee filters or the trays with the pouring spouts. I use the embossing buddy on the trays first, just like you do on the cs before embossing. That way the powders come out easier.
Never thought of doing this. Wonderful idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I did similar with glitter- I scribbled on the lid with glue, then sprinkled glitter over it. Now I can see the colours at a glance. I also bought a whole lot of plastic containers for the glitter off e-bay- roughly the same size as embossing powder jars, as I bought a lot of glitter in little plastic bags from e-bay too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

If I use plastic containers, I pop in one of those little things from pill bottles that are used to keep the pills fresh. Seems to get rid of the static in the container. Also have a plastic spoon in there. I broke the handle off short enough to fit. Works fine. Just hold my card over the container and spoon on the powder and dump off the excess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

That sounds like an anti humidity strip which one can buy since people use them in drawers and cabinets with silver to keep down tarnish (but maybe a food safe version in the pills)-we can get those in the same place we get polish and stuff.

If anyone wants to have a fun "fancy" spoon...consider the random metal small spoons at flea markets. I've gotten them for a buck or two. In fact I have a bunch of random silver plate containers of different sizes on my desk I got that way. Kind of more pretty to me than plastic I would get at Staples or something for pencil cups or whatever. I dont really care if it tarnishes-looks rustic and it's a workspace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at HL last week looking for some storage containers. Wasn't looking for anything for EP's but came across these awesome little containers that stack with a screwing motion so you can stack as many as you want. To use, you don't have to go through all of them you just 'unscrew' the one you want then put it back together. I have a stack that is about 2 feet tall now. You do need something to keep a tall tower of them from tipping over though. But they are so blasted cute and look great sitting out on the table.

Now I have got to go try the coffee filter trick. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Mine are either in their original containers or moved from their original container into another one that stores easily with the rest. They all come in such variously shaped/sized containers, that I can't store them as well unless some are transferred.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep them in their little pots! No extra container to buy and they are great to store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
The filters are better for me because of their bowl shape. When I used scrap paper I always wound up losing powder trying to bend the paper to dump it back in.

Question on the side.....Where are you all buying your bulk embossing powder? I'm looking for a good source.
I got some fine clear, white, gold and black detail powder off of eBay and have been very happy with the performance. You also get a break on shipping buying more than one.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh my goodness - this is brilliant! I have a keurig drawer I am no longer using since I got my new Vue (the pods don't fit...) so what a great re-purposing!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes