Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft Magazines and organization

How many is too many? I have two huge stacks and counting. Do I keep them all or toss? How long do you keep yours and how many is too many to keep? How to organize them.....

Any and all ideas are welcome.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I never got to the point of huge stacks...but I only buy them if there is enough GREAT ideas to justify the cost. Every so often I would tear out those ideas and put them in a binder. I HATE having to look through dozens...or hundreds...of magazines for something specific.

Besides, there is the space issue. One binder replaces many feet of stacks of magazines ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Right now most of my magazines are in 3 boxes in a storage unit (that was after weeding out several). I often have trouble sleeping, or spend time waiting so flipping through magazines is a fun way to occupy my time. Plus, tastes change so each time I look at an issue, something different catches my attention.

But, I do want a subscription for Christmas to get newer issues so I hope to get rid of (through donations) one of the three boxes.

As for storage, I have some in the master library (aka bathroom) with other magazines, some in the bookcase with catalogs, some in two acrylic holders near my bed and a few in a nook in the storage hutch of my craft desk.

I have always had a problem ripping pages out of books and magazines so I need to really be "done with" an issue before giving it away (intact unless there was a coupon or personal info removed).

I wonder if a magazine swap would be successful (my issues are mostly older so probably not)?

Anyway, storage solutions depend on your space and how visible/accessible you need the magazines to be (next trip to the storage unit one of the boxes is going under my bed until I can weed through it). I have seen clear zip-close bags (in catalogs such as Harriet Carter) designed to hold lots of magazines/catalogs that could then be stored on a closet shelf. I like that you can see through them to read the spines and may get one for my older issues and use the other existing spots for new issues I want to acquire.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to reading other replies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I have too many (I think anyway). I have trouble getting them looked at when they come, and then never look at them again. I need to go through mine and scan in any ideas I want to keep, then I'll have a digital copy and no paper to keep track of. My current subscriptions are not getting renewed.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Deborah - I have a friend who boxed a bunch of her old magazines up and sent them to new stampers/crafters or friends who didn't subscribe to magazines. She got rid of them and her friends were excited to receive them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had lots of old magazines, nicely filed in magazine racks, but never referred to. I finally decided to share them with my customers. I took 2 banker boxes to a friend's house, where we were stamping ATCs. She had also decided to share her magazines. I came back with as much as I left.

Finally I'm about finished looking at them and have actually been giving them away. I had felt like such a hoarder. Now I'm clearing out! My customers and I had decided to share, which is a good solution.

Good luck.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I try to limit my amount of monthly magazine subscriptions....which is hard to do. I have "1" magazine file that sets on top of my shelf and when that's full I pull the oldest one out and put it in a bag and when the bag is full I take them to the local library.

I was always saving my magazines thinking I'll get to a project that I liked....and never did. I now only buy magazines that are informative and educational or at least tells me details of how to do a card/scrapbook page/project. This way I actually get something out of it.

This works for me and I don't have a pile of magazines laying around.

Good luck!

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I keep one year. As a new comes in the mail, the oldest goes out. I either share with friends or it goes in the recycle bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketostampsView Post
I keep one year. As a new comes in the mail, the oldest goes out. I either share with friends or it goes in the recycle bin.
You are good. I have too many and have kept them too long. I have started giving some away but I'm such a sucker at the checkout and keep them to reread "later." Add that to the unmanagable craft room crap and no wonder DH considers my area a mess, it is. I have stopped subscribing at least, so only buy the ones I can't stand to miss. I usually buy a few if we are traveling, still have many of those too. The absolute keepers are in those cardboard magazine stand holders on the bottom shelf of my storage shelves, to minimize bending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

Well----------coming from a professional librarian-----I rip and tear mine. Seasonal ideas go immediately into a file box for the season. Techniques go in hanging file folders by type(ink, papers, etc.). If I haven't taken much out of an issue then I pass it on to my daughter who lives 1500 miles away and also crafts/stamps/scraps for her perusal and she then either passes it on again or recycles it. I won't tear out a project unless it has detailed instructions. I have about 6 magazines that I haven't torn from and won't ,,,they are like my master files. Also every year during my Winter Vacation from school--I go through files and toss those that I now know I won't use.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I guess I'm a horder. I have creating keepsakes back to 2004... 1990's old Country Samplers ( they COULD go!) I just don't throw away much of anything. I need to change that bad habit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I have a whole stash... you can never have too many magazines!
Reply With Quote Likes