Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting there!

Last year, my husband bought my first cubes from Michael's for storage. Since then, he's slowly gotten me a few more. I know, I'm spoiled and I admit it! I'm one of the lucky ones - my husband knows how important my crafting is to me.

I now have 7, with just 4 more to go (at this point!).

My craft room has always had the plastic drawer units, you know, the ones in which the drawers stick. I hate them! Nothing seems to fit right in them.

I'm slowly replacing the plastic units with the Michael's cubes and I really like how much stuff the cubes hold. I really like the 2-drawer & 4-drawer cubes.

I have two of the 12x12 paper storage cubes and I feel they were a waste of money! I guess they're too heavy (and they're not full), or something, because the drawers just do not slide easily. (Any suggestions?) I would convert these for some other sort of storage, but the paper drawer cubes have no bottoms!

Anyway, I'm getting there, finally!

If anybody has any suggestions on the 12x12 paper drawer cubes, please, let me know!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Is this what you have?

Recollections? Hanging File Cube

If so, can you just remove the drawer and put the plastic paper storage boxes in there? I am thinking like the middle row in this picture...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/61572719881748098/

I would be frustrated with drawers that don't slide too.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Fionna51, do you have any idea what the horizontal paper storage is on the bottom 2 rows?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I'm not Fionna, but that looks like paper storage from Stamp n Storage.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Ok, thanks Ceramicat1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I loathed and despised those paper file drawers, too - pulled the handle right off of one! I converted mine by making a canvas bag that fit inside of it. I put the metal hanging file strips from one of the folders inside the top hem at the front and back, and slid the metal rods that the files were supposed to hang on into hems on the sides, so it was supported all the way around. I put bulky things like crimpers, a light box, a stamp press, etc. in them. I'd share a photo, but I never took one, and can't now since I don't have them any more. I would suggest putting something like cardboard or plastic in the bottom of the bag to make it rigid, if you decide to give it a go. You might want to consider pockets or dividers, as well. If you don't sew, you could always get a basket or box that would fit inside and wire it to the side rails...

I don't remember if the bottom of that cube is solid or open, but if it's open another idea would be to flip it upside down and leave the drawer in the closed position. It would just be an open file box that way, but at least it would be usable...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspringfieldView Post
Fionna51, do you have any idea what the horizontal paper storage is on the bottom 2 rows?
Yes, it is StampnStorage. Those particular units are made to fit the Ikea Kallax and Expedit line, but they also have them sized to coordinate with their other cubes.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Is this what you have?

Recollections? Hanging File Cube

If so, can you just remove the drawer and put the plastic paper storage boxes in there? I am thinking like the middle row in this picture...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/61572719881748098/

I would be frustrated with drawers that don't slide too.
That is a good idea. The same idea occurred to me last night when I removed one of the drawers to figure out how to make it work. Simple cube storage is about all it is worth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I loathed and despised those paper file drawers, too - pulled the handle right off of one! I converted mine by making a canvas bag that fit inside of it. I put the metal hanging file strips from one of the folders inside the top hem at the front and back, and slid the metal rods that the files were supposed to hang on into hems on the sides, so it was supported all the way around. I put bulky things like crimpers, a light box, a stamp press, etc. in them. I'd share a photo, but I never took one, and can't now since I don't have them any more. I would suggest putting something like cardboard or plastic in the bottom of the bag to make it rigid, if you decide to give it a go. You might want to consider pockets or dividers, as well. If you don't sew, you could always get a basket or box that would fit inside and wire it to the side rails...

I don't remember if the bottom of that cube is solid or open, but if it's open another idea would be to flip it upside down and leave the drawer in the closed position. It would just be an open file box that way, but at least it would be usable...
Actually, there is no bottom to these drawers!

I also have some pretty purple fabric cubes that would fit perfectly in place of the drawer. hmmmm, ideas are starting to pop in my head when I get past keeping the worthless drawer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I love that pic Diane!

Every time I see paper or cardstock in open storage I want to yell out loud: if you have any windows in that room, cover your paper & cardstock because the edges will fade! I had mine stored in the open and two regular house windows in my room. ALL my cardstock ended up with faded edges. It only took about 3 months for the fading to occur, too!

Thank you for your suggestions. I am off to figure this out and figure out where to put all the paper and cardstock in my two sliding drawers. It is all 12 x 12 so it will be a challenge. I have a 4-drawer legal sized file cabinet with all my 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock in it, but of course, the 12 x 12 doesn't fit in it standing up. That would be too easy, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
I love that pic Diane!

Every time I see paper or cardstock in open storage I want to yell out loud: if you have any windows in that room, cover your paper & cardstock because the edges will fade! I had mine stored in the open and two regular house windows in my room. ALL my cardstock ended up with faded edges. It only took about 3 months for the fading to occur, too!

Thank you for your suggestions. I am off to figure this out and figure out where to put all the paper and cardstock in my two sliding drawers. It is all 12 x 12 so it will be a challenge. I have a 4-drawer legal sized file cabinet with all my 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock in it, but of course, the 12 x 12 doesn't fit in it standing up. That would be too easy, LOL.
I cut most of my 12" x 12" down to 8 1/2" x 12", specifically so it WOULD fit in a legal-sized file cabinet! I made sure that - if there were duplicates - I trimmed one in landscape orientation and one in portrait, so I could use the pattern either way...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I hated that paper drawer and finally got rid of it.

BTW - I got the Michaels ad next week storage is buy one get one free. Not as good as just 50% off but it helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for the sale tip! Basically, it is 50% for a buy one get one free!

I'm sure the Michael's I shop at hasn't restocked since I bought the last cubes, but I'm still going to check!

It seems the 4-drawer cubes sell first. Maybe they will still have some 2-drawer units!

Again, thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

So, I found storage space for my 12x12 paper, now I'm just trying to figure out a place to store my 12x12 cardstock, then I can convert those file drawers! I don't have a lot of extra space so this will be a real challenge!

I've been "tweeking" my storage all week. It's really pulling together! I've been to the hardware store so much that they offered me a job, no kidding! My husband used to work there part time (I know, every man's dream! LOL) and I sure miss our 40% discount prices!

Ever try to explain to a hardware store clerk why you want thirty 1/2" PVC couplers? Yeah, he didn't get the whole upside down stickles & liquid pearl bottles! The couplers look so nice glued together and stored in a drawer!

For Valentine's Day, my husband bought me a little computer desk/sewing table with a collapsible side table and shelves. Now I'll have a place for my little craft sewing machine & my laptop.

I've waited almost 8 years to get to this point with my studio, it's so much fun! I spent yesterday making cards and it was awesome!

When my husband bought my desk/sewing cabinet he asked me what I want for my birthday next month. I actually had to tell him I'd have to think about it since I'm almost there with my studio. Stunned him into silence, LOL

P.S., My husband got a tablet for his Valentine's gift. (I saved for 6 months for gifts for him.) Plus, tomorrow we drop off his bicycle for new brakes and gears. He already had this bicycle when we got married and I about choked when he told me how much he'd paid for it. (For a bicycle? Seriously?) I'm not the only one spoiled!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for the sale tip! Basically, it is 50% for a buy one get one free!
Be sure to check online for items they don't have in the store.

I always like the straight 50% off instead of the buy one get one because sometimes I only need one so I don't have to buy 2 when I don't need them. But I'll take a good sale any day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Be sure to check online for items they don't have in the store.

I always like the straight 50% off instead of the buy one get one because sometimes I only need one so I don't have to buy 2 when I don't need them. But I'll take a good sale any day.
I agree. A good sale is a good sale! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Update:

I've changed the shelving for my stamp sets so now I can fit the 2 unit-high sets under the shelves (6 total). No small project moving all the stamp sets off the shelves to raise the shelves! (I'm saving for the last 6 units, haha)

I used my nifty new little sewing machine and now have a fitted cover for the sewing machine & Sizzix eClips and dust covers for my Big Shot, guillotine cutter and Fiskar's cutter.

I also created cut files for boxes for my embossing folders, Framelits, Movers & Shapers (& similar-sized dies) and my decorative strip dies. The chipboard I used is recycled from from our local True Value store (thanks guys!) that is 18" x 18" and I have to glue three layers together, so a SVG cut file cuts it all exactly the same size. The cut files include the hinges for construction & flip open lids for the boxes.

Boxes are done now, too.

Everything looks so nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

. ... I've been "tweeking" my storage all week. It's really pulling together! I've been to the hardware store so much that they offered me a job, no kidding! My husband used to work there part time (I know, every man's dream! LOL) and I sure miss our 40% discount prices!
Ever try to explain to a hardware store clerk why you want thirty 1/2" PVC couplers? Yeah, he didn't get the whole upside down stickles & liquid pearl bottles! The couplers look so nice glued together and stored in a drawer! ...
Yeah, the guy at the hardware store was puzzled about my buying half a dozen couplers in 2 different sizes - not caring that one was for hot and the other for cold water. Just happened to be a small bottle of glue hanging near the couplers, so I grabbed it and turned it upside down and told him that you could then store your glue so it was ready to go. He actually commented that it was a good idea. I didn't tell him that it wasn't my idea, that it came from SCS. Hey, a hardware guy telling a woman she had a good idea! It was a woman who came up with the idea, so I took the liberty of basking in a moment of glory for all womankind! LoL.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Hey, a hardware guy telling a woman she had a good idea! It was a woman who came up with the idea, so I took the liberty of basking in a moment of glory for all womankind! LoL.
Dea
Yeah! The guys are always asking me what I'm using something for, they're so used to me buying stuff for my craft studio. I often just cruise through the store to see if they have anything I can use. (I live in a town of 3500 people so my True Value "hardware guys" know me well!)

Recently, I chose to fix a leaky kitchen faucet sprayer myself. When I showed the hardware guy the part I needed, he asked what in the world I was using it for in my craftroom. I gave him a funny look and told him my kitchen faucet sprayer. He laughed and said, "For real? It's not for your crafting?" Yup, they know me well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's so funny!! Ps what is the recycled chipboard from. ( from paint box / nail storage etc...). I have a true value around the corner .... So I know what to ask for. When I go to true value.

Actually another funny thing is at my true value - the front corner of the store is a small boutique that sells a bunch of boutique jewelry ! Like pandora - Vera Bradley . No kidding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
That's so funny!! Ps what is the recycled chipboard from. ( from paint box / nail storage etc...). I have a true value around the corner .... So I know what to ask for. When I go to true value.

Actually another funny thing is at my true value - the front corner of the store is a small boutique that sells a bunch of boutique jewelry ! Like pandora - Vera Bradley . No kidding!
Love the jewelry part! A lot of hardware stores have specialty sections to pull women into the stores! Yeah, don't need that to be drawn in! LOL

The recycled chipboard I use from the True Value store is the "Point of Sale" signs they don't use (they're too large for them). The signs are bright colors on one side, white on the wrong side. The signs are created by True Value to put on end caps for special sales from the sales circular that customers receive in the mail. Ask your store to save it for you in advance! Ask to speak to the person in charge of accepting deliveries or check in the trucks.

The signs are about 17" x 19" and very thin (when creating anything, I use 2 to 4 layers taped together with doubled-sided tape, white side out).
Reply With Quote Likes