Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/)
-   -   for those who unmounted their SU wheels (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/those-who-unmounted-their-su-wheels-547853/)

KarenBinPa 02-06-2012 03:42 AM

for those who unmounted their SU wheels

did the images become a little warped then? Like, with circles, does the stamp need to be on a stretched cylinder to ensure that the circles are still circles and not ovals??

LOL! Does this make sense?

Thank you.
Karen

gregzgurl 02-06-2012 07:08 AM

Everything looks/works exactly the same as when it was on the wheel. It's more a matter of getting used to a long "strip" stamp than anything else. I've never regretted unmounting mine for one second! I was "wheel-challenged", so I never used them before I unmounted them, lol. I even cut some of them apart into individual stamps.

KarenBinPa 02-06-2012 07:47 AM

Thank you, Sue.

Ldyglfr62 02-06-2012 10:35 AM

Mine all stamp the same. I store mine stacked in SU! Clam cases.

homestead 02-06-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 19157885)
Everything looks/works exactly the same as when it was on the wheel. It's more a matter of getting used to a long "strip" stamp than anything else. I've never regretted unmounting mine for one second! I was "wheel-challenged", so I never used them before I unmounted them, lol. I even cut some of them apart into individual stamps.

I agree with all of this. I am so glad I unmounted mine.

KarenBinPa 02-07-2012 03:41 AM

This is so helpful to know. I bought some inexpensive fiskars clear border stamps that are to go onto a cylinder (they are interchangeable) - I thought I'd just use them as is, but they are definitely warped and I needed to go back and purchase the cylinder thing to get them to work properly.

I've always wondered about the reverse scenario with the SU wheels.

Many thanks!

Karen

gregzgurl 02-08-2012 04:42 PM

Glad your questions were answered, and thanks for the heads-up on the Fiskars stamps. I'll have to avoid those... :)

stampdujour 02-08-2012 07:29 PM

How did you un-mount those wheels? I have successfully un-mounted ALL my wood stamp sets and never even gave those "wheels" a thought until I looked here. I was never a great fan of the wheels because I have not been successful at using them. Please send me a PM so I can find your reply. I stumbled onto this post by accident.

Ldyglfr62 02-08-2012 07:43 PM

You just take an Exacto knife and cut along the seam and just pull them off the wheel. It doesn't take much muscle to do. You don't even need to put them in the microwave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampdujour (Post 19167063)
How did you un-mount those wheels? I have successfully un-mounted ALL my wood stamp sets and never even gave those "wheels" a thought until I looked here. I was never a great fan of the wheels because I have not been successful at using them. Please send me a PM so I can find your reply. I stumbled onto this post by accident.

stamphappy1650 02-09-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPa (Post 19160383)
This is so helpful to know. I bought some inexpensive fiskars clear border stamps that are to go onto a cylinder (they are interchangeable) - I thought I'd just use them as is, but they are definitely warped and I needed to go back and purchase the cylinder thing to get them to work properly.

I've always wondered about the reverse scenario with the SU wheels.

Many thanks!

Karen

Try mounting them on EZ-mount / mounting foam even though they are clear. You'll loose the benefit of a clear stamp but you won't have to bother with a handle.

stampdujour 02-09-2012 09:00 AM

I am soooo happy that I stumbled onto this thread. Last night after seeing this I quickly dug up my rarely used wheels and disassembled all 15 of them. Took me less than 20 minutes. Then I adhered them to EZ cling foam, trimmed them with an Exacto knife and PRESTO I have given NEW life to 15 unused ,unloved stamp wheels. Since the longest acrylic block isn't long enough, I cut the rubber and now have a small stamp sized portion of the image that I can use separately.
Thank you all, and thankl you Marcie for PMing me ;)
I LOVE SCS it is the best!!!

cjsmom0802 02-09-2012 10:16 AM

I just removed all of my rubber from my wheels recently and put them on the ez mount foam. What a clever way to finally use those unused unloved wheels! most of us don't use the wheels because it's such a bother...so, now I have some beautiful Valentine's Day cards done using an old heart wheel! So glad I did this...and the wheels are so inexpensive too.

franb63 02-11-2012 05:37 AM

hmm I've considered this for a while now to unmount the wheels, BUT, I've a question on the build a wheel type ones.. Have you done those too? and I thought and Icould be wrong.. I'm wrong all the time according to my kids.. but, isn't there a block long enough for them? I thought someone... somewhere had said/seen one?

gregzgurl 02-11-2012 05:56 PM

I use a 2" x 11" block from Close to My Heart. Someone on another thread said that they use the "C" plate from their Cuttlebug. I'm guessing anything big enough and sturdy enough would work...

connie leone 02-11-2012 07:42 PM

Un mounting wheels

I'm still un mounting my stamps (this has been a very long process, over a year!) and thought I will try one of my wheels since I saw this posted way back when. Well I was able to get 2 of them done and really glad I did. No fuss with the handles and ink cartridges. You can use any color ink pad. Hopefully my wheels will now be more loved!!!

CraftyMel2 02-17-2012 02:03 PM

Apple Pie Memories (? pretty sure that was the brand) is the block that I use. I found that the 2x11 was just a hair too narrow and my new block is 2.5x11 and I like it much more. I have found that I save money buying the wheels and also I love making little boxes and the wheels are the perfect width to make a "band" for around the boxes that I make!!