Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lighting for studio - suggestions?

I am lucky enough to have a small room all for myself to use as a studio. I've got it pretty well organized, but it's a dark room. There's only one window, and it's being hogged by an air conditioner. So I've added lighting here and there as I needed it - I've got a big Daylight light/magnifier combo (from my jewelry making days) clamped to one side of my main worktable, and a small ott-style task light sitting on the other side. I've got swing arm wall lamps over my secondary worktable and Scan N Cut, and another Ott lamp near my die-cutter. I have a shelf over the area where my stamp and die bins are, and I have a lamp clamped to that so I can see my stamps. It all works all right, but I wish the room were not so dark.

I am thinking of simplifying all of this and putting in several hanging flourescent fixtures (they would have to hang, the ceiling is high and sloping with exposed beams) with some kind of Daylight-type flourescent tube bulbs in them. Has anyone done this? What did you buy? I go online to Home Depot and I just feel a bit flummoxed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not have experience with using fluorescent lighting but wanted to let you know your not alone in your quest. While important, proper lighting can be very elusive and frustrating and there are tons of options available aren't there.

It sounds like you might be on the right track though looking at overhead ideas since you have added task lighting in several areas. I have found that good over head lighting is as important as task lighting if for no other reason than to chase away the gloominess of a room. So not a friend of creativity.

Have you checked out LED options? They have come down in price a lot and there are tons of different types out there. I live in TX and they are much cooler when turned on which is a big plus here. I've even wondered if there is a way to make my own task lighting with the inexpensive strips. Just not sure about the need to replace the whole strip eventually instead of changing a light bulb.

Good luck in finding something that works for your room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Yes, Stacy. The room feels gloomy to me. I actually have enough light to do what I need to do, but there are just too many fixtures and even with them all on, the room does not feel inviting. I so want to get rid of almost all the task fixtures, and just have good overhead lighting.

I looked at LED but I wonder if it has the same advantages as "daylight" type lighting.

Maybe someone will read this thread and give us both some ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There are some excellent sunshine and daylight fluorescent bulbs out there but I haven't found them at Home Depot. I did a sunshine fluorescent set-up in my studio (not paper crafts) and it worked very well; bulbs haven't had to be replaced ever. I also have a task lamp from the same company.

Just two things to pay attention to:
- Color temperature (Kelvin) is key because the lower the Kelvin rating the warmer and more yellow the light. (Think warm living room light.) As Kelvin gets higher, it gets whiter and brighter (perhaps what you want, 4,000+), and eventually gets blue-ish and cold.

- CRI is the second number to look at on the package. The closer to 100, the more "true" and high quality the light. You want in the 90s, not 80s.

You might want to consider going to a lighting store that has lighting experts. Fluorescent fixtures don't have to be expensive. They should also be able to talk to you about placement, and consultations are generally free. If they don't mention Kelvin walk away. ; ) Oh, and natural light plays a part too.

(I worked closely with lighting consultants in a store for years and still send people to them. It can make the difference between a functional space - or not.)

BTW, I don't think LED has caught up yet for large scale room lighting. Just my take.

Good luck!
Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 09-10-2016 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: LED
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Re CRI - Color Rendering Index - I meant to say the closer to 100 the more true and accurate the light. Lower quality, less expensive lightbulbs often have CRI's in the 80s.

Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the great info, Beth. It will help me if I go to HOME DEPOT. Because there are no lighting stores in the Florida Keys. (Mr. Wonderful says he thinks there was one somewhere around here some years back, but then HOME DEPOT came along and that was that).

I will try online, though. Truly, if it were not for the internet, I would not own a single stamp or sheet of cardstock (no LSS here, either). I'm sure there will be some websites where I can get help.

There's a lot of a lot of things down here in paradise, but there's also none of a lot of other things. ;-)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post and i had to share with you! I solved my lighting issue after trying the same lights and bulbs and clamps you described but still wanting more. I installed a ceiling fan with spotlights hoping this would work but encountered two things to resolve.1. The spotlights hindered light out into the room because of the "can" around the light thus a spotlight and with the new regulations for ceiling fans you can only use candelabra lights.
2. Finding candelabra daylight bulbs locally was a challenge. I purchased the led bulbs but the light was so yellow I wanted to cry. Dim and yellow was going in the wrong direction!!

Solution:. Amazon has adapters that screw in the socket to allow you to use regular based bulbs. But ... You need to be sure to use LED bulbs which are cooler and wattage not over the maximum for your fan or light fixture!!! Since the LED bulb were rated only 15 w four bulbs were under the wattage level and after using them for some time I could actually touch them and they were not hot!
The other bonus was the adapters extended the bulbs to the edge of the "can" and allow the entire bulb to brighten the room.

Even during the day there is ample light to work by!!!

P.S. the bulbs are from Amazon, also and they are DAYLIGHT Bulbs. Philips 455717 100w EQUIVALENT A19 LED DAYLIGHT light bulb 4 pack. $29.84. uses only 14 watts 14 x 4 means total wattage of 56!! You can use them in any fixture you can use. Regular bulb!

I had been looking for a light solution for approx 9 years and quit sewing at night because of the light issue.

I hope this helps, I know how frustrating low light can be! Sorry this is such a long post, but you motivated me to finally register and enjoy all the features of SCS site!

Thank-you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 04:38 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Welcome Jana!!! I'm so glad you posted. :-)!

Your suggestions and discovery won't help me in my studio (high exposed ceiling, no way to do can lights and I don't need a ceiling fan in there), but it will help me elsewhere in the house. We did can lights along one side of the kitchen. I'll have to look into those adapters and bulbs!

Hope to see you around the forum now that you're registered to post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Just a thought Rachelrose, even if you use these bulbs in your current fixtures you should have more light which may eliminate some of the additional lamps! Hope you reach your goal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure I'm going to help but here goes : )

Lighting was a long standing issue for me. My craft room has 4 windows but I only open the blinds in the winter because we live in a hot area and my room can get super hot. I had a lot of tasks lights and wanted to reduce them and still have an inviting room.

We have high ceilings and overhead lighting from my fan produced shadows so individual tasks lights were still necessary. I tried several different kinds of ott/daylight bulbs and found that that I didn't see any difference in colors and so I sold them all. I considered adding drop down fluorescents but I am not fond of how they look and they would still produce shadows.

The best solution for "me" was to paint my room a nice warm butter cream yellow. The room is always inviting and cozy. The other solution is that I added LED light strips that give a nice bright light. I still have my task lights and I only turn them on when working at the particular station. I bought the light strips at Costco but they are available online at a lot of places. Mine plug end to end and I held them in place with foam tape. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 02:25 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to say I would advise against fluorescent lighting. They give a funny colour cast to everything and they have a tendency to buzz!!Not sure what the solution is, but i'd steer away from fluoro.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 04:00 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LED tube lighting

I recently had LED tube lighting recommended by a lighting expert and installed in one room - behind a wood valance - think 1947 cove lighting, to replace old fluorescent bulbs that I never used because of the buzzing. A rectangular ceiling unit with the same LED tube lighting was installed in the laundry room. This unit looks like the kind that would hang down, but it is tight up to the ceiling. There is absolutely no buzzing! The new LED tubes do not buzz at all. They are very bright. You would still need some task lighting, but the room would be brightly lit with the LED tubes.

Also, "Reveal" bulbs are daylight bulbs and are very good as task lighting.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 04:52 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen McView Post
I have to say I would advise against fluorescent lighting. They give a funny colour cast to everything and they have a tendency to buzz!!Not sure what the solution is, but i'd steer away from fluoro.
Yes, that's true for older fluorescents.

Newer, high quality fluorescents don't buzz, and color can be excellent (see mention above about Kelvin/color temperature). Clients have installed them and I put them in spaces in my own home.

Caveat: big box stores may not carry them; they did not when I got fluorescents but that was years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 05:31 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I do not have experience with using fluorescent lighting but wanted to let you know your not alone in your quest. While important, proper lighting can be very elusive and frustrating and there are tons of options available aren't there.

It sounds like you might be on the right track though looking at overhead ideas since you have added task lighting in several areas. I have found that good over head lighting is as important as task lighting if for no other reason than to chase away the gloominess of a room. So not a friend of creativity.

Have you checked out LED options? They have come down in price a lot and there are tons of different types out there. I live in TX and they are much cooler when turned on which is a big plus here. I've even wondered if there is a way to make my own task lighting with the inexpensive strips. Just not sure about the need to replace the whole strip eventually instead of changing a light bulb.

Good luck in finding something that works for your room!
I have recessed LED lights in my craft area. I did get the warm white bulbs. You do not want cool white. But I have noticed that the colors of paper etc. are changed by the light given off by the bulb. Does anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I have recessed LED lights in my craft area. I did get the warm white bulbs. You do not want cool white. But I have noticed that the colors of paper etc. are changed by the light given off by the bulb. Does anyone else notice this?
Both artificial and natural light hugely affects how colors look to us. Too warm is a yellowy light. Too cool starts looking blueish and stark.

To over simplify, color temperature (Kelvin) is the main factor to pay attention to if you don't like how papers or objects appear. Lower Kelvin, more yellowy light. Higher Kelvin, whiter light, and evntually toward the blue.

The chart and photo in the links illustrate it:

(Also bulbs may be rated for CRI. You want CRI in the 90s, not 80s. Cheap or "builder quality" bulbs may be in the 80s. Think of CRI as accuracy of color.)

http://www.seesmartled.com/pdf/kb/AN...emperature.pdf

https://www.earthled.com/blogs/light...-next-led-bulb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lighting in craft room

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
In my experience, the cool white bulbs give me a truer color of the paper. The warm white tends to give a yellow cast to objects...but that is my experience. The lighting guy had samples that he plugged in so I could see the effect of both types of lighting. I imagine there are all sorts of influences on color in a room, depending on windows, season of the year, color of walls, etc. My laundry room was painted black when I bought my house...don't ask me why! Now the walls are a very light lilac with white trim and white washer & dryer, and with the LED tube lighting it's the brightest room in the house. I wish there was room for card making in that room. Alas, it is too small.

Good luck with your lighting choices.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcw519View Post
In my experience, the cool white bulbs give me a truer color of the paper. The warm white tends to give a yellow cast to objects...but that is my experience. The lighting guy had samples that he plugged in so I could see the effect of both types of lighting. I imagine there are all sorts of influences on color in a room, depending on windows, season of the year, color of walls, etc. My laundry room was painted black when I bought my house...don't ask me why! Now the walls are a very light lilac with white trim and white washer & dryer, and with the LED tube lighting it's the brightest room in the house. I wish there was room for card making in that room. Alas, it is too small.

Good luck with your lighting choices.
I laughed at your wanting to craft in your laundry room - I've thought the same thing.

BTW, I think the newer LED lights are excellent too, as long as people pay attention to the color they cast, the same as with any bulbs, including incandescent. Slightly cooler renders color more accurately.

I had to study this stuff in a workshop for a certification program about color in the "built" environment. I'm "so" not an expert, but paying attention to Kelvin, the color of shades/covers, and how shadows are cast can often solve lighting problems.

Just my take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a light bulb by GE. It's called Reveal-Reading Light. It is blue bulb-150 W. It is the brightest, truest light I have seen besides my Ott Light. I don't have a large studio with multiple work stations, so that might not work for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely great advice especially about going for a 'cool' white light. They will indeed give you a truer reflection of colour, 'warm' bulbs tend to add a pink or yellow tint to things you are looking at. THIS SITE has some useful info, and I expect you will need to order what you want online, it's not easy finding them in general stores.
This site HERE is also a gold mine of information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

What about adding some mirrors so help bounce the light around the room? They'd be less likely to cause harsh shadows. I'm in a room that's too dark starting about 2.5 hours before the sun starts to set. That's almost the whole afternoon in winter. I have mostly task lighting and that's what I'm stuck with. If you don't want shadows, could you mount a bathroom style fixture with several bulbs above your table?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Know I am really late in responding to this thread, but wanted to let you know about our experience with LED lighting. We have a high ceiling in the kitchen and had 5 tract lights and then a can over the sink. We thought it was pretty good, so when one of the cans became dysfunctional (not the bulb, but the can, itself), off we went to replace the can. Alas, nothing that even came close was available, and even if it had been, they are only sold in sets. So we replaced the whole thing with new tract lighting and LED bulbs. Let me tell you the light is like being out in the sun! It is white, clear and bright with 6 bulbs. I want to replace the halogen lights in the tract lighting in my craft room with the same bulbs as the light is so nice and cool. The halogen are hot and not as bright. I love the LED and instead of the laundry room, I'm thinking of crafting in the kitchen---especially at night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Know I am really late in responding to this thread, but wanted to let you know about our experience with LED lighting. We have a high ceiling in the kitchen and had 5 tract lights and then a can over the sink. We thought it was pretty good, so when one of the cans became dysfunctional (not the bulb, but the can, itself), off we went to replace the can. Alas, nothing that even came close was available, and even if it had been, they are only sold in sets. So we replaced the whole thing with new tract lighting and LED bulbs. Let me tell you the light is like being out in the sun! It is white, clear and bright with 6 bulbs. I want to replace the halogen lights in the tract lighting in my craft room with the same bulbs as the light is so nice and cool. The halogen are hot and not as bright. I love the LED and instead of the laundry room, I'm thinking of crafting in the kitchen---especially at night.
Great advice! I did the same and couldn't be happier. I replaced under cabinet halogen lighting fixtures on both sides of my craftroom with daylight under cabinet led fixtures. The halogen bulbs got unbelievably hot, and now it's so much cooler. I'd go even farther and say safer! I also replaced the bulbs in an overhead fixture with daylight led bulbs. What a huge improvement! No more ott lights and such taking up valuable desk space. Now I just flip the switch and I'm in the most bright and cheerful spot in the house.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the halogen lights under my kitchen cabinets and have accidentally burn my finger s reaching to turn them off, missed the switch and touching the bulb they get that hot! I will be changing them soon for the LEDs! I am a fan! Much cooler and safer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

That's not good! We have halogens under our kitchen cabinets, but there's a cover over them so you can't get burned. We're leaving them in because one of our senior cats likes sleeping under one on a soft mat. (It's not near food prep.) We also tend to rarely turn them on - except for hers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 04:43 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

My office/craft room has a high, vaulted ceiling; someday I'll install can lights, but don't want that project now. Track lighting isn't an option.

So I have good floor and table lamps. The craft table task light is now LED (TaoTronics) and has a long horizontal reach. A floor lamp is next to it, and a desk lap (fluorescent but great daylight) is angled behind me but pointed up which provides ambient light without shadows.

I have a lamp on my computer desk, where I also die cut, and one on a 2x4 Expedit just inside the door.

A small Ikea Linnmon table on extension legs for two trimmers doesn't have a lamp but it's close to the door and stays fairly bright even at night. One trimmer has a line of LED lights and the other a neat luminescent cutting, which I prefer to the other's actual lights. They're too bright, so I taped a strip of copy paper over them, which still provides light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
That's not good! We have halogens under our kitchen cabinets, but there's a cover over them so you can't get burned. We're leaving them in because one of our senior cats likes sleeping under one on a soft mat. (It's not near food prep.) We also tend to rarely turn them on - except for hers.
So sweet, we do love our babies. Our baby would curl up in a wicker basket that sat on our kitchen island to keep warm, I'm with you here. He loved that basket, our other babies knew it was his. We miss him, Casper, so much! He was the sweetest cat! Yes, new lights under your cabinet can wait!!!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
So sweet, we do love our babies. Our baby would curl up in a wicker basket that sat on our kitchen island to keep warm, I'm with you here. He loved that basket, our other babies knew it was his. We miss him, Casper, so much! He was the sweetest cat! Yes, new lights under your cabinet can wait!!!
OT I'm so sorry about your Casper cat. We keep the house warm for our three senior cats, two who have health issues - one with a terminal illness (though not uncomfortable). We installed a supplemental ceramic tile wall heater in the lower level where one of them hangs outt, since it's cooler there. A podium cat bed and his Ikea Poang chair is next to it. Our dog passed away about a year ago; she needed warmth too, or so she told us, though she had a thick coat and loved snow.

I was taught you take care of your animals before yourself, so that's the way we roll.
Reply With Quote Likes