Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 860 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Storing ribbon...

I think I found a better way to store my loose ribbon (not the large spool amount, but the shorter ones). Instead of cutting cardboard and wrapping them on that, I cut out squares from the thick styrofoam trays that meat comes on. They are thicker than the foam from take-out boxes and stiffer, so I think my ribbon won't wrinkle as bad as they did on the cardboard. And I am repurposing, as they don't recycle styrofoam here. I guess if you didn't eat meat, you could double up the thickness of the take home tray foam.
And the washi tape I had that wasn't on a spool (I have some a friend gave me) wrapped great around my empty thread spools.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2018, 03:28 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another idea is to wrap it around clothes pins (the old fashioned wooden round ones) or the cardboard centre from toilet paper rolls. Both have worked nicely and don't take up a great deal of space, unless you're a ribbon hoarder/addict/collector like me! I'm in the process of down sizing my collection, I have enough to wrap around the globe a time or two or three......;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store mine loose by color family in "penny candy" jars. I can just reach in there and pull out the one I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't wrap mine around anything to store them. I do start off wrapping the end of the ribbon around a pencil to get started, but I just have all the ribbons wrapped in coils and secured with a dollar-store plastic band (not as strong as the brand name, so they don't wrinkle the ribbon). I have divided plastic boxes intended for embroidery floss that corral them all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2018, 04:47 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For those who use paper tubes to wrap ribbon around, try paper towel tubes instead of toilet paper tubes. They are generally skinnier and I can get several on one tub, I run a strip of repositional tape down the length of the tube and then wrap away. I usually store ribbon of the same color family on the same tubes which makes matching easier too since they are together on the same tube. I just grab a tube, hold it over my card/paper and decide which one matches best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I use a ribbon spooler. The ribbon (up to 3/4 inch wide) end fits in a slot, and wound by the handle, and then slips off in a nice roll. If the ribbon is over 4 yards long, I do a second one, so not so bulky, or likely to unroll from the middle. I use sequin pins to secure the roll, and store them by color family in a snap lid box. So pretty on the shelf of my stash. Not sure of the exact product name, but found it at a yard sale-score!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntiof8View Post
I use a ribbon spooler. The ribbon (up to 3/4 inch wide) end fits in a slot, and wound by the handle, and then slips off in a nice roll. If the ribbon is over 4 yards long, I do a second one, so not so bulky, or likely to unroll from the middle. I use sequin pins to secure the roll, and store them by color family in a snap lid box. So pretty on the shelf of my stash. Not sure of the exact product name, but found it at a yard sale-score!
I googled "ribbon spooler," & found this item from Best Craft Organizer. It includes the spooler, holder/rack, and 5 dispensers, which store ribbon up to 3/4" wide. (Not sure how many lengths of ribbon it will store, though.) They also sell a unit with just the holder & 6 dispensers, if you already have the spooler, as well as the tool by itself. Considering the tool is $5, and the 6-unit dispenser is $10, while the kit with the tool & only 5 dispensers is $15...well, you do the math! The only advantage I can see to the kit is that the tool stores in the unit as well. Just sayin'...!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I use 2 gallon Zip-lock Bags & organize the ribbon by color, (each bag has different colors), & super thin ribbons in another bag all by themselves. Snippets also have a bag all by themselves. I then put them into a clear plastic storage containers & stack them. I can see what colors are inside the container since the containers are clear, so it is easier to get to the ribbon I need. I have A LOT of ribbon! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hoptownracer1, you might use some bleach on those used meet trays. I used to use them for learning projects in my children's church. The FDA (I think) put out a warning that the meat juices are still in the foam and could be hazardous to health. They strongly suggested they not be used at all. This was 20 years ago, and I'm assuming that it is still true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried a few of the ideas on here but the best that works for me is a large plastic jar that my husband brought home from work several years ago. Use this more for my loose ribbon that can be a few inches to a few feet. I believe it might have been a "Cheetos" jar at one time. It's plastic and you can't believe how much ribbon fits in there. I also have a wall ribbon holder that I put my ribbon that is on the reels they come in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottyView Post
Another idea is to wrap it around clothes pins (the old fashioned wooden round ones) or the cardboard centre from toilet paper rolls. Both have worked nicely and don't take up a great deal of space, unless you're a ribbon hoarder/addict/collector like me! I'm in the process of down sizing my collection, I have enough to wrap around the globe a time or two or three......;)
Clothes pins leave a lot of bad marks in the ribbon. And if you have a lot it takes up way too much space. I�ve phased out storing mine that way. By just removing 5 clothes pins from a 6� High jar (the old fashioned kind with the wire lock) I saved almost 50% of the space! I just wrap mine around my fingers then wrap a twist tie around the middle. My jars are clear and organized by colour so this is a quick, easy and attractive way to store the ribbon. My jars are up high on a cabinet in rainbow order. They look really nice and I can get an awful lot of ribbon in each jar. And it rarely wrinkles or creases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Thank you! I was washing them with Dawn and really hot water, but I'll start using a little bleach on them too! Thanks so much; I did not know that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfmorganView Post
hoptownracer1, you might use some bleach on those used meet trays. I used to use them for learning projects in my children's church. The FDA (I think) put out a warning that the meat juices are still in the foam and could be hazardous to health. They strongly suggested they not be used at all. This was 20 years ago, and I'm assuming that it is still true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I have to be able to SEE my ribbon or I forget about it, so hubby cut me some pvc and hung five per window for me using those end caps like poles in a closet. Then I wrapped my ribbon around the pvc, even made a valance with my white and cream laces, I just cut off what I need to use, lol. Been working well for 5 years or so. It is not all of it, also have 4 drawers full on cards and I hardly ever use it because I do not SEE it. Oh, well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a few spools of ribbon that I store on a ribbon organizer, but most of my ribbon is just pieces or ends...I store them loosely in large clear class jars from the grocery store. I mix all the colors together and just dig in when I need a piece of ribbon. I also have a large glass decanter that I store them in.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrafter40View Post
I googled "ribbon spooler," & found this item from Best Craft Organizer. It includes the spooler, holder/rack, and 5 dispensers, which store ribbon up to 3/4" wide. (Not sure how many lengths of ribbon it will store, though.) They also sell a unit with just the holder & 6 dispensers, if you already have the spooler, as well as the tool by itself. Considering the tool is $5, and the 6-unit dispenser is $10, while the kit with the tool & only 5 dispensers is $15...well, you do the math! The only advantage I can see to the kit is that the tool stores in the unit as well. Just sayin'...!
I met one of the owners at a Stamp & SB Expo a couple of years ago, and played with their system. I was really impressed.

They also have wall bars to hold their ribbon boxes and their other types of boxes. (Scroll to the 4th row to see them.) And they’ll help customers figure out what is needed given the size of the stash if you call.

Wall Box Craft Storage, Works Great for Sewing, Quilting Materials and Supplies

They have videos too: https://www.bestscrapbookshelf.com/about/videos.html

I’m glad you reminded me because I have ribbon in a divided acrylic box, and while it works, there’s no lid and takes up too much real estate. I might be ready for these dispensers, or the wall bar plus boxes.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-25-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

More on Best Craft -
They have three sizes of ribbon/washi dispensers. The small dispenser has six 3/4” wide compartments and each section holds about 2+ yards of satin ribbon, 6 yards of organza or 2 yards of grosgrain.

If you have narrow ribbon, like 1/4”, you can punch or cut a little circle to separate the 3/4” wide compartment into two.
The medium dispenser has an inside dimension of about 1-5/8” and the large is 2-1/8”. So when you roll the ribbon, you can instantly tell which size dispenser it will fit into.

They all fit into their own trays. Example - the small one:
Spool & Store - K5

But if you wish to put them into boxes, six boxes fit on a bracket if you want to hang them on the wall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's ribbon storage methods. I did have a lot of my smaller pieces of ribbon in a large jar, but found I couldn't find specific ones when I would look for them, so wrapping them around the styrofoam squares has been better for me. But different methods work better for different people.
The storage systems look neat, but too expensive for me. I've tried to cut back a lot on spending.
The hanging ribbons is really neat; my cats would have a party with that!
I'm glad it's a good system for you; I have to be able to see things too, or I forget what I have.
Thanks for sharing what works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

here is how I store mine. I wrap it around old floppies and store in a plastic box - I like this system. A lot of ribbon in a small area and I can see it quickly. You can see that you can wrap 3 to 4 different kinds on one floppy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2018, 04:35 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that's what I'd call an inventive recycling idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2018, 05:42 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually got this idea from someone here on Splitcoast years ago. I had a lot of floppies and it works great. I use tape to hold the ends down. I used to use straight pens but found they put holes in ribbon. I am a very visual person so seeing what I have at a glance is nice. When using the floppies you don't have to be concerned with the cardboard bending over time. It's nice and rigid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Smile

What an awesome way to recycle/reuse!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyduoView Post
here is how I store mine. I wrap it around old floppies and store in a plastic box - I like this system. A lot of ribbon in a small area and I can see it quickly. You can see that you can wrap 3 to 4 different kinds on one floppy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I am way behind in my responses. I store my ribbon on rolls (put them all on the same diameter spools) and line them up in plastic guttering hung on the back of the door to my stamping room. For short pieces, I wrap them around a clothes pin and slide it on a slanted pieces of acrylic on the same door. Here's how it looks:
Attached Thumbnails
Storing ribbon...-ribbon-storage.jpg   Storing ribbon...-ribbon-storage-side-view.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Am I the only one that throws it in a big drawer and then digs through it when I want something?? What's with all this organizing it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have a big drawer, but if I did, I would never take the time to dig through it to find what I want, if I could even remember that I had it in the first place. Just too lazy, I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I sort by Halloween & Christmas themes and then everything else. The themes have their own containers along with other embellishments for that theme. The everything else is sorted into quart and gallon baggies. Again most embellishments are stored together.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

The best way I found to store large amounts of ribbon, like an entire roll, was to use Darice ribbon cards. They are white plastic bobbins that are a larger version of floss bobbins. They worked so well but now Darice no longer makes them. I so wish they would bring them back again! I put foam core row dividers in the 12" plastic drawer units and at a glance I can see every one of the ribbons I own. I keep searching for another similar source of bobbin cards but so far I haven't found anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
The best way I found to store large amounts of ribbon, like an entire roll, was to use Darice ribbon cards. They are white plastic bobbins that are a larger version of floss bobbins. They worked so well but now Darice no longer makes them. I so wish they would bring them back again! I put foam core row dividers in the 12" plastic drawer units and at a glance I can see every one of the ribbons I own. I keep searching for another similar source of bobbin cards but so far I haven't found anything.

Would it be possible for you to use one you have and make a pattern from it? Then you could cut some out of nice chipboard or heavy plastic to make your own. Not sure if this would work, but may be worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm one of those people who creates better with fewer options so I went through my ribbon last year and removed colors and widths I knew I wouldn't use. I donated them to a local groomer who always puts bows on the female dogs ears after grooming. (The males get bow ties! haha) There were a few in wider widths and with textures better suiting to gift wrap; I put those with the gift wrap items I had at the time and have already used them up!

Now I'm down to a manageable/usable amount and can keep them in a drawer with other embellishments. I separated a desktop organizer (found at Michael's) and found this is working well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Would it be possible for you to use one you have and make a pattern from it? Then you could cut some out of nice chipboard or heavy plastic to make your own. Not sure if this would work, but may be worth a try.

I have also thought of doing that, but always end of thinking it is just too much work. For now I try to convince myself to not purchase any more ribbon.;)
Reply With Quote Likes