Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Anyone use any type of software to track supplies and tools

Just wondering if anyone uses any software such as an MS Access database to keep track of your stamps and supplies. I'm just starting out but am thinking I'd like to set up something to tell me what I own (e.g which Cuttlebug embossing folders, stamp sets, inks, etc., etc.).

Thanks!

Leslie
Just learning to stamp in
Sambro, Nova Scotia, Canada
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all my supplies. Here is a sample of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone use any type of software to track supplies and tools-craftss.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep something similar, though your version is much more detailed. I have columns for Stamp Manufacturer, since I have a wide variety of stamps, and for the price I paid for the item. I do this in the event of a fire (God forbid) and I would have to make a report to my insurance company. I don't think most people realize (or even want to know) how much they have invested in their supplies, but you sure would want to get those items replaced in the event they were destroyed. I also note the month and year that I purchased the items.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizLuceroView Post
I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all my supplies. Here is a sample of what it looks like.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I never thought to track this kind of stuff for insurance purposes. I've been a tole painter off and on for over 20 years. I would guess I have over $3,000 worth of tole painting supplies that I have gathered over the years. It would cost quite a bit to replace all my paints and brushes in the event of a disaster.

Thanks for bringing this aspect of crafting up!

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:33 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Speaking of insurance - I actually have a rider on my homeowner's policy for my "collection" of stamps, punches, ink pads, and markers (complete SU sets), etc., similar to a rider you would have for jewelry or artwork. When I first proposed this rider to my insurance agent, he came to the house to "check out" my collection and was amazed at not only the number of stamp sets, but the cost of them, too!

I update with the insurance agent about every 6 months. I keep excel spreadsheets of my stamp sets, etc., including prices, on a CD, and just store it in my safe deposit box so in case there is ever a fire, I've got prices and a list of everything. I keep two CDs, and just exchange them back and forth every 6 weeks or so. (No use keeping the CDs in my house, if there's a fire, they'll melt!)

It's also important to keep track of what stamp sets are retired as they cannot be replaced!

Also keep in mind that most homeowner's insurance policies replace at either 10% of the total policy or replacement cost. Replacement cost is usually the current market value of a new item, but if your stamp sets are retired and cannot be replaced, you won't get money for them. However, if you have a rider, you get the insured value of an item!

Also, I do not have paper and CS insured, as it is considered a consumable, as is "bling!"

Last edited by Sew It Seams; 02-24-2010 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, keeping your list "off site" is the way to really safeguard your list and that brings up a good point about keeping track of your supplies. It doesn't make much sense to have the list on your PC because that too would be destroyed in the event of fire. I keep my document as a google document, so that no matter what happens to my computer, it will always be on line. If I had to, I could go to my library, or a friend's house and still access the list.

You could also do this by "sending to yourself" a copy of the excel spreadsheet attached in an e-mail - and then just save that e-mail until you update your list, and then you would just replace your updated e-mail.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Check with your insurance company of course...mine just said to keep photos of everything for proof of loss.

The value and size of your home can make a difference in how this issue is dealt with. For us, the size of our home automatically includes a standard hobby coverage, usually around $10,000 for each adult. Almost everyone in the suburbs with an average size house has a hobby with components of that kind of value, so we don't need a specific rider until it's valued at over $10k. At last estimate, I was under $8k, and have leveled out. I think. Haha!
Reply With Quote Likes