Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/)
-   -   Portable Copic Storage (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/portable-copic-storage-505467/)

cammi1975 09-09-2010 02:31 PM

Portable Copic Storage

1 Attachment(s)
Last weekend I went to a swarm and wanted to take my copics along with me - I love my desktop storage (just acrylic boxes from Michaels) - but needed something sturdy & safe for toting my most prized crafting accessory around :D. I found this today at Michaels for $17 (after 40% off). I love it - it has room for my copics I have plus the ones that I want :D.

More details on my blog

Brenda71 09-09-2010 03:17 PM

Great idea!! I love the Art Bin Satchel line, all the sizes are wonderful!!

teresa_trick 09-09-2010 03:30 PM

I use the Large Stampin Up clamshells to store and carry my Copics. They hold about 18 each. I've been unmounting my wood mount stamps and use the leftover boxes.

michellesscrap 09-09-2010 07:27 PM

Copics carries nice wallets for the markers. Actually could be used as permanent storage and mobile storage. I rarely take mine anywhere so I just through them in a plastic bag when I do, then resort them when I come home.

cammi1975 09-09-2010 08:01 PM

I have seen the wallets (and love them), but they only hold 72 markers. This is much cheaper & holds everything in one spot.

bbgirl66 09-10-2010 08:24 AM

Thanks for sharing Cammi! This is a wonderful solution. Never knew ArtBin had containers that were deep enough to put the Copics in on their ends so you can see their numbers. I have a carry bin that I use when I travel with mine but not like this where you can close the bin. I might have to check it out. This is also a great solution for people with limited space for permanent storage since this could easily get tucked away until needed.

iiSwanSongii 09-10-2010 07:47 PM

Is this just your portable storage solution or do you plan on keeping them in here?

The reason I ask is because I thought I read somewhere that your supposed to store copic markers on their sides.

Is that not true?

cammi1975 09-11-2010 01:22 AM

I have kept them in this case. The case lies flat and sits on it's side so I can store them either way. I have been told (@ my local store) that they can be stored either way.

stephanie932 09-11-2010 03:49 AM

Love this bin! I usually tote mine in one of those little mini totes with handles that I bought at Michaels. But I love the idea of a lid, because if my basket topples, I have Copics everywhere.........lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammi1975 (Post 17293956)
I have kept them in this case. The case lies flat and sits on it's side so I can store them either way. I have been told (@ my local store) that they can be stored either way.

Yep, you are correct. I'm taking a Copic's class now and was told they can be stored either way. However, the Copic glitter pens (Spica or Atyou) need to be stored on their sides.

cammi1975 09-11-2010 06:21 AM

Thanks Stepanie - good to know! I do not have any of those yet - they are my next purchase

StampinSulli 09-12-2010 07:59 AM

My copic storage

3 Attachment(s)
I use this. I got it from Office Max. It holds two 72 sketch marker cases, two 36 sketch marker cases and one 12 sketch marker case so far.
Attachment 195644
Attachment 195645
Attachment 195646

StampinSulli 09-12-2010 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what it looks like when it is opened.
Attachment 195647

jeanstamping2 09-12-2010 08:05 AM

GREAT IDEA Ladies!!!

I've been looking for something for mine. Right now I have them in a Green color plastic tote. they laid flat. I don't like it cause I have to pull them out to find what I want.

But I've been looking for something that I can stand mine in.

These look like something I might have to check into.

Thanks!!!!!!!

yungs 09-15-2010 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a little basket at the dollar store and threaded some elastic bands through the sides to keep the colors separated. I have over one hundred in one basket and could probably squeeze a few more in there. I love this method!
Attachment 195884

chaun 09-15-2010 03:58 AM

I took a class from the head Copic teacher person. Can't remember her name. I think it's something McDonald. She said that Copics can be stored any old way, and they don't have to be stored on their sides. Other markes, such as Tombow and gel pens do need to be stored on their sides though.

Rebecca Ednie 09-15-2010 04:15 AM

You can buy empty storage cases from http://copicmarkerS.com are made by Copic and when you buy a set, they come in these. When you buy them at this site, they give you a nice stretchy elastic band with the case that holds the lid on. It looks like one of those plastic support bracelets but stretchier. I tote mine around in those. This place has the best everyday price on Copics I've ever seen. NAYY just make sure if you have a blend of Ciao and Sketch like I do that you buy a case meant for the larger markers or they won't all fit in the divided boxes.

And you definitely can store them any way. Just be careful to put the caps on well if standing them up. If they seem to leak, try taking both caps off at once. This equalizes pressure within the marker. Or it could be overfilled.

And if you ask nicely, they will ship outside the US, to Canada anyway. Just email them rather than ordering online. Great customer service too.

HTH!

lindsaymay 09-15-2010 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiSwanSongii (Post 17293407)
Is this just your portable storage solution or do you plan on keeping them in here?

The reason I ask is because I thought I read somewhere that your supposed to store copic markers on their sides.

Is that not true?

you could stand the box on it side I bet!

kitkat55 09-15-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yungs (Post 17311070)
I got a little basket at the dollar store and threaded some elastic bands through the sides to keep the colors separated. I have over one hundred in one basket and could probably squeeze a few more in there. I love this method!
Attachment 195884

I don't have any copics (yet!), but all these storage ideas are wonderful. Holly, I think you win the prize for 'best storage for a buck'!! Just think how many copics you can buy with all that money you saved!

Thanks for sharing, everyone!
Kat

cammi1975 09-15-2010 05:16 AM

Yes - this box will sit on its side. That is how it sets under my desk

kitkat55 09-15-2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammi1975 (Post 17286691)
Last weekend I went to a swarm

What's a 'swarm'? Can't decide if that sounds like fun or conjures up visions of angry bees..... =0

annie* 09-15-2010 06:36 AM

Thanks so much for sharing, Cammie! That looks like a great storage solution. I have my Copics packed and ready to go at all times, in a metal carrier I purchased at Target. It works well, but this looks like it would work much better. I will have to go check out a Michaels.

harrahx2 09-15-2010 01:49 PM

I'm with kitkat55 and would like to know what a swarm is? I have gone to shoebox swaps etc but never heard of a swarm other than bees........;)

jplatt 09-15-2010 03:02 PM

A swarm is when people with Cricuts get together to make cards or scrapbook pages or OTP stuff. HTH

janette Platt

kitkat55 09-15-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplatt (Post 17313763)
A swarm is when people with Cricuts get together to make cards or scrapbook pages or OTP stuff. HTH

janette Platt

Ahhh.....thanks, Janette! That's cute. I have two friends who could use a 'swarm'....they bought their Cricuts several years ago but they're just gathering dust because they don't really know how to use them to their potential.

Thanks for the info! Learn something new everyday..... ;)

Kat

winsrella 09-15-2010 08:52 PM

I keep my Copics in an Art Bin, approx. 9x12x3.5. Love it. It has a handle which makes it easy to pick up. I do not take my Copics out of the house. I have other great sets I take to stamp groups. I love my Copics and use them regularly. They sit on their sides on the table, and upright when stored.

Ann

SUZIE-QUZIE 09-16-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammi1975 (Post 17286691)
Last weekend I went to a swarm and wanted to take my copics along with me - I love my desktop storage (just acrylic boxes from Michaels) - but needed something sturdy & safe for toting my most prized crafting accessory around :D. I found this today at Michaels for $17 (after 40% off). I love it - it has room for my copics I have plus the ones that I want :D.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qjnLyYYXvq.../s1600/001.JPG

More details on my blog

Well now isn't this a good idea! I never know how long the markers are when I'm out and about, and I can't count the times I've brought home containers that I think are JUST THE THING, and they are too short to accommodate Copics. Will have to look for this and give it some thought. Presently I use stackable drawers that Michaels had for a short time - they are not available anymore.

I forgot the focus here was portability. I never "port" anything, but I still think it's a good idea for permanent storage. Probably the lid is removable - most of those kinds of things are, and you could put the lid on to take it with you someplace.

cammi1975 09-16-2010 09:58 AM

Suzie - this container is 6" high - I too have run into that issue with what I thought would work being too short. This lid has a hinge and does not come off - but I am sure others do. Hope this helps

jennyleigh 09-16-2010 10:29 AM

Thank you for sharing this idea. I bought one of these boxes yesterday at Michaels. This week all their scrapbooking storage is 50% off, so the final cost was $14.99. What a great deal!

jeanstamping2 09-17-2010 01:29 PM

I finally found something to store my Copic Markers in. Awhile back I won a Little stamping tote.

Like this one Mini Craft Tote

I still have some room for more Copic Markers.

ScrappinwithZ 09-17-2010 07:30 PM

Copic Storage

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'm just getting to buy Copics, but already have about 30 and just ordered 20 more this week, so I need a way to take them to crops. I'm new here and this is going to be great for info.

Z

SUZIE-QUZIE 09-18-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cammi1975 (Post 17317681)
Suzie - this container is 6" high - I too have run into that issue with what I thought would work being too short. This lid has a hinge and does not come off - but I am sure others do. Hope this helps

Today I stopped in at Michaels to look for the ArtBin things, since it's the last day of the 50% off, and found two of them that were intact. There were a few with missing locks, whatever.
So, Cami, this is just the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!!! I've moved all my Copics, and also some other markers & pens, and I'm SO GRATEFUL to you for this tip!!! I'll thank you every time I use them!!
SQ

lynnephelps 09-18-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUZIE-QUZIE (Post 17328368)
Today I stopped in at Michaels to look for the ArtBin things, since it's the last day of the 50% off, and found two of them that were intact. There were a few with missing locks, whatever.
So, Cami, this is just the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!!! I've moved all my Copics, and also some other markers & pens, and I'm SO GRATEFUL to you for this tip!!! I'll thank you every time I use them!!
SQ

You are lucky - they only had one at my Micheals and it had a missing latch, so I didn't buy it. Still, it is perfect and I'll be watching for more to come in!

cammi1975 09-18-2010 08:33 PM

Yeah! Glad that I could help you gals! You all have helped me so much too!

stampincheribaby 09-20-2010 05:33 PM

Thanks so much for the tip....I have about 200 sketch markers and definitely need a way to take them with me. This sounds like the perfect solution. Look out Michaels-here I come(:
Cheri

Cheribella’s Blog

Wonder Woman 09-20-2010 07:43 PM

I work at a Michael's and was wondering why we had such a run on those ArtBin storage things at the end of the week:) I had 9 different women ask me about them between Friday and Saturday! I only have about 30 Copics, so I haven't had to worry too much about storage headaches yet. I found some round wire mesh pencil cups at the dollar store and store my copics in there by color family. They fit on a shelf that I have, but yellow and orange have to share a cup :( I did some basic embroidery through the wire mesh to liven them up.

SUZIE-QUZIE 09-21-2010 08:48 AM

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonder Woman (Post 17337794)
I work at a Michael's and was wondering why we had such a run on those ArtBin storage things at the end of the week:) I had 9 different women ask me about them between Friday and Saturday! I only have about 30 Copics, so I haven't had to worry too much about storage headaches yet. I found some round wire mesh pencil cups at the dollar store and store my copics in there by color family. They fit on a shelf that I have, but yellow and orange have to share a cup :( I did some basic embroidery through the wire mesh to liven them up.

How funny is that? Just think what a network we have going on here, and congratulations to all of us! Who would have thought....??? We have the power to affect a whole section of the retail industry! Now let's get to work on those punches that inevitably stick, no matter what brand! But that's another thread...

MikiBee 09-21-2010 11:15 AM

What a fabulous box! It's definitely going on my "must have" list. Thanks for sharing!

creatingisfun 09-22-2010 01:35 PM

what great ideas, I just bought six copics :)
and cant wait to be able to buy more later ;)

margotgn 09-29-2010 06:20 AM

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of this box? I purchased one I thought was going to be perfect but was too short to fit my 72-marker box into. Thanks!

margotgn 09-29-2010 06:23 AM

Okay, totally have the feeling I didn't do this correctly last time so am trying it again. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of this box? I purchased one at OM I thought would be perfect but it was too short to fit my 72-marker case into. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinSulli (Post 17298166)
I use this. I got it from Office Max. It holds two 72 sketch marker cases, two 36 sketch marker cases and one 12 sketch marker case so far.
Attachment 195644
Attachment 195645
Attachment 195646