Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp n Storage Drawers

I�m considering purchasing a stampNstorage dwawer unit, been eyeing a long time. I�d appreciate any feedback on how you use yours, if you have one. I�m planning on using the smallest drawers for my mini ink cubes, and others for watercolor brushes along with other ideas. I�m thinking even my Memory Misti may fit in one, not sure. There�s options to replace two or three drawers with double or triple drawers. Suggestions please! Should I choose 10 small drawers or replace a couple of drawers with the taller drawer options. What would you do? Their 15% off sale ends soon.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't have one of these units, but I do have a drawer unit from Hobby Lobby with drawers that are only 1 1/4" deep (18 of them) and I LOVE IT!!! I have all of my inks in it - three drawers of DIY mini cubes, two of Distress Inks and Distress Oxides and miscellaneous other pads (Versamark, Memento, Versafine). Three of the drawers have emellishments and bling, one has washi tape, one has watercolors and palettes - you get the gist. I was surprised to discover that I could stack two DI inkpads and they still fit, so more of them in less space!

One of my pet peeves is having to rummage through a drawer to find the thing that is inevitably on the bottom, so shallow drawers are a dream come true for me. Don't know if that helps, but my take on this question is to go for all shallow - I think you'll be surprised how many things fit in there!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't have one of these units, but I do have a drawer unit from Hobby Lobby with drawers that are only 1 1/4" deep (18 of them) and I LOVE IT!!! I have all of my inks in it - three drawers of DIY mini cubes, two of Distress Inks and Distress Oxides and miscellaneous other pads (Versamark, Memento, Versafine). Three of the drawers have emellishments and bling, one has washi tape, one has watercolors and palettes - you get the gist. I was surprised to discover that I could stack two DI inkpads and they still fit, so more of them in less space!

One of my pet peeves is having to rummage through a drawer to find the thing that is inevitably on the bottom, so shallow drawers are a dream come true for me. Don't know if that helps, but my take on this question is to go for all shallow - I think you'll be surprised how many things fit in there!
Thanks Sue, you’re thinking was correct. I was leaning toward the shallow drawers, but needed someone to help me make the right choice. I’m thinking I could even use a couple for easy accessibility of my watercolor paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Are the drawers removable? That would make it or break it for me, though not everyone. I’ve seen them in person at Expo’s, and they’re high quality and would be great in the right space. The color would bug me, but that’s solely a reflection of my weirdness. (I watched part of a video where someone painted a similar unit.)

A larger drawer for something logical, like your stack of paper, seems neat. Or maybe you could take a room tour ;) and spot something that never has had quite the right home that would like to live there. Stacking ink pads or most things, isn’t my cuppa. Packages of enamel dots and similar are an exception and in an Ikea Expedit 3-drawer unit. A bunch of adhesives/foam dots/etc. are in an Alex drawer, though the most used are in a cart next to me.

Whether something is the right organizer has so much to do with location. Some supplies “must” be within arm’s reach or a quick chair roll, and I don’t want a lot of bulk on my desk, so many things are in a cart, on the wall, in desk drawers. Though my desk top is *not* clear by any means!

Enjoy and let us know what you decide. And pics!

Last edited by bjeans; 10-06-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I know, bjeans, I�m not in love with the color either. I�ll probably end up painting them, or con my Son into doing it :p If it weren�t for the 15% off sale and rewards I�ve accumulated I don�t think I�d be deciding on buying at this time. I�m currently leaning to toward the smaller drawers, but still mulling it over. Great points and suggestion, much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Forgot to answer about the drawers. They do come out, but I don�t think they�re made for easy removal. The spot I�ve planned for it will be within easy reach, so don�t plan on removing. Tools, brushes, rulers, pens, and such I reach for the most are in a caddy stored vertically directly in front of me. It would be nice, thinking, to be able to grab the right tool without fumbling through the clutter. Also, I rarely use my mini ink pads �cause I forget to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Last thought, and I apologize in advance if it's too blunt. More than once I've purchased a nice item because it was neat and/or well made and/or pretty, and/or on sale. And it ended up not working or being underutilized.

Your piece will be within reach, which is great, and you'll put cubes in it, but don't use them much - but that might make them more enticing. Do you have many items you want within reach that would fit? Oh, or do you mean your tools that are in the caddy would be moved? (Mine are in the Organize Moore can piece and a top Alex drawer.)

BTW, and kind of OT, I had brushes in two vegetable cans in an Organize More storage unit (which I like for other tools), but didn't like fumbling for them, so finally sprang for a cheap plastic unit. I didn't think it would be very good but for $10 figured it was worth a try. It turned out to be excellent. It would be even better if it turned, but I bought a little lazy susan mechanism for something else and it may do the trick glued on.

Amazon.com: Loew-Cornell 390 Multi Bin Brush Organizer, 49 Hole

In case anyone is curious, the Organize More can caddy photo isn't of mine. I covered mine with washi tape. It tilts foward very slightly.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-06-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I appreciate your feedback. I like the organize more setup. They also have trays that fit the Alex drawers for mini ink cubes. I�ll be moving the items in my caddy to the drawers and adding my brushes there as well. I never store my brushes vertically, a practice drilled into my brain by my Father. I can still vividly recall being lectured and banned from his studio for not following his instructions. He left me all of his well loved, yet pristine, sable brushes when he passed. Between the 15% and accumulated rewards thought I�d take the plunge and purchase something I�ve been eyeing since their release. I don�t think I�ll have any trouble finding things to fill the drawers with . You�ve brought up some good points.

Last edited by Annecards; 10-06-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, that is such a great memory and lovely gift to cherish.

I make sure no water can enter the ferrule, and then store them vertically, which is what a couple real-life teachers and articles have recommended. Some say don't let the brush head rest on anything. Given my consistent clumsiness they are safer suspended.

I just thought of items I keep in a shallow drawer unit from Michaels (?): Creative Corners, acetate sheets, and the SSS grid transparency, since any may be used when using one of my stamping platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I snapped photos of seven of the drawers:

Top row: tags, hole reinforcers, photo corners, etc.; enamel dots, bling (gems, pearls, fancy brads) and alphabet embellishments

Middle row: DIY ink cubes; washi, fancy packing and nail embellishment tapes; Distress and Oxide inks (and a couple of others)

Bottom row: Palettes, shimmer watercolors, Distress Crayons (thanks again, Beth), and tools/brushes; all kinds of embellishments (brads, eyelets, spiral clips, whatever...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 10-06-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, pretty! I want to open every drawer and pick things up and look at them and put them back. Forget making, just picking/looking/putting is enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 04:57 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Oh Sue, the pictures are so helpful! The 10 drawer unit is definitely the configuration for me.
Reply With Quote Likes