Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default IPad App for Sentiments

I'd like to start an electronic inventory for all the sentiments in the stamp sets I own. Does anyone know of a good app to use for this purpose. I'd like it to be somewhat customizable and searchable. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Evernote!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also One Note, a Microsoft product. Free, and I prefer it over Evernote, for the ability to resize images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me old-fashioned, but I took a different approach. While I live-and-breath Excel and love the Kraft Inventory app for my iphone, my stamp sayings are categoried in rolodex files that have the dust cover. No quick task, for I own 450+ stamp sets. I wanted not only to be able to quickly retrieve a saying, but to also visually see the size/font/etc of the stamp without pulling the stamp set from the shelf. Just took the time over several months to stamp each saying on the rolodex card; label the card with the stamp set name; and set up categories in the rolodex boxes (i.e., birthday, sympathy, halloween, and many more. Then some sayings just got put in alphabetical order.). Have over 1K cards in 2 rolodex boxes. Stack together very nicely on top of my Stamp-n-storage punch boxes. The follow-on: I am "not allowed" to use or file a new stamp set until I have added those sayings to the rolodex boxes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2016, 03:01 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you use Evernote, you'll be a supporter. I've tried multiple suggestions, and Evernote is by far the best solution. Thousands of users pick it for a reason. It's super quick, just download or snap a pic of your stamp set, Evernote reads the text and you can add tags, books (categories). Just type in search for what you want and "bamb" you have every stamp set containing the word. It's a time saver that surpasses any other system I've read about and tried. One Note is OK, but Evernote is better, IMHO. If you want to spend time crafting instead of organizing and typing then Evernote is for you. I use it for tutorials, home finance, and more. You won't regret deciding on Evernote!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 04-08-2016 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Kelly, I'm adding another vote for Evernote. I spent a few years debating if I really "needed" it, so I've only recently completed entering my stamp sets. I still need to enter single stamps, and just a few days ago I started a notebook for my dies. Good luck with whatever approach you take!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 03:31 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Lola G, do you know about a tool in Windows called the Snipping tool? It's a free part of Windows, so if you do a Windows search you will find it. I keep the icon in my toolbar, it's so useful. What it means is that you can do a Google image search for a particular die set, then click on any image you like to make it larger. Next, click on the Snipping tool, and a box opens up. Click on 'new' and the page goes slightly grey. You can now use your cursor to draw a box around the image you want to save. When you've drawn around it, a box pops up, and you can click 'save as' and choose where to save the image. Then you can move it into Evernote later.

This is the icon.
Another point for anyone going down the electronic route- I started using Evernote, but felt it's one big failing was the inability to re-size images on the pages. Microsoft has another program, OneNote, which does exactly what Evernote does, has the ability to resize images within the pages, and it's another freebie. I've swapped to using that now. Yes, it's time consuming redoing it, but I'm off work sick, so have time on my hands. It works on non-windows mobile phones and tablets too, by the way.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 04-11-2016 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 621 Likes on 289 Posts

Evernote for me too - I am still working on cataloging and we're not to the sentiments yet, but I love being able to sort by multiple tags. Love.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Hi Lola G, do you know about a tool in Windows called the Snipping tool? It's a free part of Windows, so if you do a Windows search you will find it. I keep the icon in my toolbar, it's so useful. What it means is that you can do a Google image search for a particular die set, then click on any image you like to make it larger. Next, click on the Snipping tool, and a box opens up. Click on 'new' and the page goes slightly grey. You can now use your cursor to draw a box around the image you want to save. When you've drawn around it, a box pops up, and you can click 'save as' and choose where to save the image. Then you can move it into Evernote later.

This is the icon.
Another point for anyone going down the electronic route- I started using Evernote, but felt it's one big failing was the inability to re-size images on the pages. Microsoft has another program, OneNote, which does exactly what Evernote does, has the ability to resize images within the pages, and it's another freebie. I've swapped to using that now. Yes, it's time consuming redoing it, but I'm off work sick, so have time on my hands. It works on non-windows mobile phones and tablets too, by the way.
Thanks so much for taking the time with this response. I've heard of the Snipping tool, and I use a somewhat similar thing for Pinterest. My desktop computer is a Mac, but most of the time I'm using my iPad. Actually, I set up all of my Evernote stuff on my iPad, so now I'm wondering how I can get it to show up on my Mac. I'm not as tech-savvy as I'd like to be, but I've found that the very basic setup I've done with Evernote was far less daunting than I thought it would be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you think is the best tool for learning Evernote? I'm a book learner, that is I learn by reading with examples. I don't really like watching videos to learn. If you have a reading style tutorial or e-book you can recommend I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
What do you think is the best tool for learning Evernote? I'm a book learner, that is I learn by reading with examples. I don't really like watching videos to learn. If you have a reading style tutorial or e-book you can recommend I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
mob
mob, if you go to the Evernote home page https://evernote.com and scroll down to the bottom, you'll see a heading for Support. One of the choices is Help and Learning. I took a quick look around and thought it could be useful, at least for a start. It appears to have a combination of written text as well as video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 02:39 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Lola G, that'll teach me to assume everyone is using Windows,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Lola G,
I did start with the Evernote pages. I guess I'm not very good at visualizing how to set up the inventory of stamps and supplies. I probably need to see the structure or have someone describe it to me.
Thanks,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
Actually, I set up all of my Evernote stuff on my iPad, so now I'm wondering how I can get it to show up on my Mac.
Lola, I'm a Mac user too. You've got a couple of options. You can download the application to your computer or you can open the web version. I've got the app on both my iPhone and laptop and they sync nicely.

Here's the Mac alternative to the snipping tool It's built into Mac OS.

⌘ + ⇧ + 3 captures the whole screen
⌘ + ⇧ + 4 captures a custom rectangle (click and drag over the screen region you want to capture)
⌘ + ⇧ + 4 then space captures a specific window (move the mouse cursor over the desired window, then click)
Press esc to cancel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Lola and Carla,
I'm a Mac user too. Thanks for the tips as I'm trying to figure out how to use Evernote.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 02:44 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 90 Likes on 83 Posts

I agree with Linda E. Evernote is great and will sync between your phone and computer. All of my stamps, paper collections, dies, embossing folders, etc., are cataloged so I can see what I have on my phone and find things quickly and easily when I'm home.

Setting up your notebooks takes some time, but once you have them adding new inventory is quick and easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 02:45 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 90 Likes on 83 Posts

Shazsilverwolf - Images can be resized in Evernote as long as they are jpg's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
Lola G,
I did start with the Evernote pages. I guess I'm not very good at visualizing how to set up the inventory of stamps and supplies. I probably need to see the structure or have someone describe it to me.
Thanks,
mob
Here is a basic tutorial with screen shots. http://craftstorageideas.com/stamp-inventory-using-evernote/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
Lola, I'm a Mac user too. You've got a couple of options. You can download the application to your computer or you can open the web version. I've got the app on both my iPhone and laptop and they sync nicely.

Here's the Mac alternative to the snipping tool It's built into Mac OS.

⌘ + ⇧ + 3 captures the whole screen
⌘ + ⇧ + 4 captures a custom rectangle (click and drag over the screen region you want to capture)
⌘ + ⇧ + 4 then space captures a specific window (move the mouse cursor over the desired window, then click)
Press esc to cancel.
Carla, thanks very much for this info I wouldn't have had a clue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Lola G, that'll teach me to assume everyone is using Windows,
Shaz, it's a reasonable assumption!! My best pal in the crafting world uses a PC, so we're always needing a translator. My Mac is way more computer than I need, but don't try to come between me and my iPad. Love that thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I keep all my stash organized within my Notes files on my iPhone. Easy-peasy! I organize them by motif and list products by manufacturer, name and number. This way when I am standing in the checkout line, I can know very quickly what I already own -- what a concept!!! Especially helpful at big shows like Scrapbook EXPO. I have reduced double buying and returns to a minimum. I list products as soon as I get home/receive an order by mail and remove them from the packaging BUT before I organize them into envelopes a la Jennifer McGuire style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time with this response. I've heard of the Snipping tool, and I use a somewhat similar thing for Pinterest. My desktop computer is a Mac, but most of the time I'm using my iPad. Actually, I set up all of my Evernote stuff on my iPad, so now I'm wondering how I can get it to show up on my Mac. I'm not as tech-savvy as I'd like to be, but I've found that the very basic setup I've done with Evernote was far less daunting than I thought it would be!
If you save it to the cloud, you should be able to find it on your iMac. It should just migrate. Everything on my iPad is on my iMac. You might need to d/l Evernote again - but it shouldn't be an issue, as long as you have everything saved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa D.View Post
Call me old-fashioned, but I took a different approach. While I live-and-breath Excel and love the Kraft Inventory app for my iphone, my stamp sayings are categoried in rolodex files that have the dust cover. No quick task, for I own 450+ stamp sets. I wanted not only to be able to quickly retrieve a saying, but to also visually see the size/font/etc of the stamp without pulling the stamp set from the shelf. Just took the time over several months to stamp each saying on the rolodex card; label the card with the stamp set name; and set up categories in the rolodex boxes (i.e., birthday, sympathy, halloween, and many more. Then some sayings just got put in alphabetical order.). Have over 1K cards in 2 rolodex boxes. Stack together very nicely on top of my Stamp-n-storage punch boxes. The follow-on: I am "not allowed" to use or file a new stamp set until I have added those sayings to the rolodex boxes!
I'm "old fashioned" too. LOL I write out my sentiments on 3x5 cards, (Probably should have stamped them, but I'm squeezing in as many as I can get into my little file box) My sentiments are under several different categories for easy access. (One sentiment could fall under several categories.) But, That way I can keep them all in a small file box & handy. I also write what company makes it & what set it is from. I also have a category for my larger dies in this box, that don't fit in my CD filling box. It takes quite a bit of time to file everything, but I leave new stamps & dies out when they come to file them, before I put them away. I have to file before I can use my desk & I need my desk to work on projects! LOL So, it works for me! I don't like the idea of the possibility of loosing access to my computer either, so that is one reason I keep it "old fashioned!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just download Evernote to your Mac. I have mine Synced with iPad, iPhone and my iMac. No matter where I enter a note, it goes to the other 2 without any effort on my part!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I downloaded Evernote and really liked it. I was going to keep adding more but then I received an email regarding the monthly subscription fees and the size limit. I don't mind buying an app out right but I don't want a monthly charge. So I've decided to stick with my Krafts Inventory app. It does the same thing as Evernote but without the monthly fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunstamperView Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I downloaded Evernote and really liked it. I was going to keep adding more but then I received an email regarding the monthly subscription fees and the size limit. I don't mind buying an app out right but I don't want a monthly charge. So I've decided to stick with my Krafts Inventory app. It does the same thing as Evernote but without the monthly fee.
Most crafters only use the free version of Evernote. When you first set up your inventory you might run out of space if you are uploading a lot of info. That's when purchasing a one month sub to finish inputting the bulk comes in handy. Then you can go back to free the next month. For regular ongoing stash maintenance, the free version is all you should need. It's nice they offer the upgrade as a month option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Default oMG

Thank you for the Evernote Idea. I use Evernote for other things but this a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes