Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing unmounted stamps in DVD cases

So I have finally decided to unmount my 300+ SU stamp sets. I have a couple questions before I start.

Down to the bare rubber?

How do you store the stamps in the DVD cases? Do they just shake all around in there or do you attach them somehow?

What do you use to get the stamp to stick to the clear blocks? Do you use it every time you stamp?

I think that's all my questions. For now ;)

Thanks
Lisa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lisa,

I'm certainly not the authority on this, but I don't think you want to take them down to bare rubber. They need the cushioning to get a good stamp. You can buy a sticky-backed cushion that has the cling side for the acrylic blocks, but I really don't think you'll need it. The few rubber stamps that I've unmounted have had enough sticky left from being on the wooden block to stick to my acrylic block but are no problem to get back off when I'm done. I haven't used DVD cases, but they stick to the surface of the inside of my CD cases that I've used just fine.

I'm actually going to be putting mine on 8-1/2" x 11" sheets that are made to hold cling stamps. Only, I'm going to cut the sheets in half and store them in plastic containers I've bought that are just the right size and have a lid. I tried putting them in binders, but even with the stamps and sheets in a page protector, I managed to loose a few smaller pieces of stamp sets. I plan to number each sheet, put it in a cut down page protector, then just make a catalog of each sheet with the stamped images and the number. Does that make any sense? I have so many stamps (many of which I hope to eliminate as I do this) that I would need a tremendous # of DVD cases and someplace to store them. I just don't have enough room.

I hope someone can give you more definite answers, but maybe my answers will help a bit,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Default Storing unmounted stamps in DVD cases

Search Youtube for:
Quick tip Clear Mount Stamp Cases with Dawn
Very useful info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I unmounted all of my wood mounted stamps a few years ago. I took them to the bare rubber. I have strips of poster tape on my acrylic blocks to hold the bare rubber in place when I stamp. I can stamp a long time before the tape loses its stickiness and needs to be replaced. I have had no problems stamping a good image without the cushion backing.

When possible now I only purchase unmounted rubber stamps and most have the cusion backing on them. Since they don't need the poster tape to stick to the acrylic blocks, I use the other side of the block.

I used CD and DVD cases for storage when I first unmounted. I put strips of poster tape inside the case to hold the stamp. A couple of years ago I switched to binder boxes with page inserts like these (Stamp storage - Gina K. Designs, LLC). They easily hold 4 pages of foam mounted or 5 of bare rubber stamps. The bare rubber ones still need a strip of poster tape. Depending on the size of the stamp set, you can often fit two sets on a page.

I did not have an index with images of each set so before unmounting a set, I put the stamps (block side down) on my scanner to get a picture of the set. For the ones I purchase unmounted, I scan the stickers or the case cover sheet. I print it on cheap cardstock to go in the case with the stamps since many no longer have a sticker and it makes it easy to see what's there.

Unmounting was a huge job that took a while but once it was done, I've been really happy I did.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Mine are all bare rubber with Sailor 2-in-1 glue on the back (others use Aleene's Tack It Over & Over). This allows them to stick to the cases and/or the blocks. If you use a fun foam pad (or similar) under your project when you stamp, then it won't matter that you don't have foam on the stamp itself - you'll still get a good impression. There are others who use Tack 'n Peel on the blocks so they don't need to have anything on the back of the rubber (glue or tape), and they store the stamps in drawers instead of anything that needs to be upright (like a case or binder). I have all of mine in binders, as outlined in a post on THIS THREAD (which has a lot of other helpful info for you, too, most likely). My post is #17...

A few other threads on the subject are HERE and HERE and HERE. My system is based on Diane's method (see post #21 in the last link). Hope that helps you find something that works for you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't mind going to the bare rubber. I tried one out and used the SU foam stamp pad and was very happy with how it came out. I like not having to worry about the rocking but I did find it a little hard to ink up. Only my first try so maybe I just need more practice with bare rubber. I like the stamp storage you posted Joy. Being a SU Demo, I am not sure if it is my want or need to keep them looking as original looking in their own cases with proper labeling. It could just be a case of OCD too. LOL!!! Now I just looked at your post Sue. I'm so confused. I don't know what to. I haven't even checked your Here and Here and Here threads. Afraid I'll get more ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisaobrienView Post
I don't mind going to the bare rubber. I tried one out and used the SU foam stamp pad and was very happy with how it came out. I like not having to worry about the rocking but I did find it a little hard to ink up. Only my first try so maybe I just need more practice with bare rubber. I like the stamp storage you posted Joy. Being a SU Demo, I am not sure if it is my want or need to keep them looking as original looking in their own cases with proper labeling. It could just be a case of OCD too. LOL!!! Now I just looked at your post Sue. I'm so confused. I don't know what to. I haven't even checked your Here and Here and Here threads. Afraid I'll get more ideas.
Try tapping the pad on the stamp instead of tapping the stamp on the pad - I find it works better for me (especially on larger stamps).

Also, I'm guessing that reading the other threads might help you get un-confused. Even if you don't do exactly what someone else has done, you'll probably find things that "stand out" more to you than others, so that could help you clarify your thoughts. Perhaps it would be helpful to try a couple of different methods with just a few stamp sets and see which you prefer before you do all the rest...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #8  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes when you are unmounting you have no choice but go down to bare rubber, the foam pad comes right off. I have sets that have some bare, some with foam because it stayed intact. (so sorry to my OCD friends here, I am sure reading that was like fingernails on chalkboard).
I have blocks that have tack-n-peel by tsuniko on them and I have plain blocks I use whichever I need for the stamp. I found using the t-n-p to be easier, less messy and less time consuming then trying to alter the rubber with aileens or putting a foam backing in each one. I personally found cutting that cling foam to the stamps was a mess and too much work - I have hundreds and hundres of stamp sets to unmount.

there are many threads on these forums talking about this, just search and you will get a wealth of info. Maybe too much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I was on the fence about what to do its mine also. After seeing a video on Sweet Miss Daisys blog, that is how I decided to go. I already have eighty or so sets down to bare rubber plus all of the odd ones I have bought as bare rubber. So I am using aleenes tack it over and over and doing it that way. I am going to use up the ezmount foam I have also on the ones I will we the most. I figure that for as much as some of them will get used, they don't all need to be mounted on the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
sometimes when you are unmounting you have no choice but go down to bare rubber, the foam pad comes right off. I have sets that have some bare, some with foam because it stayed intact. (so sorry to my OCD friends here, I am sure reading that was like fingernails on chalkboard).
I have blocks that have tack-n-peel by tsuniko on them and I have plain blocks I use whichever I need for the stamp. I found using the t-n-p to be easier, less messy and less time consuming then trying to alter the rubber with aileens or putting a foam backing in each one. I personally found cutting that cling foam to the stamps was a mess and too much work - I have hundreds and hundres of stamp sets to unmount. there are many threads on these forums talking about this, just search and you will get a wealth of info. Maybe too much
I'm a big fan of bare rubber and the tack-n-peel. I used to add foam mounting and cling sheets to bare rubber, (this was back before companies started selling cling mount stamps) until I discovered that using a foam stamping pad as my stamping surface worked as well as having foam on the stamp. Less work & cheaper too.
Sea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolajView Post
Search Youtube for:
Quick tip Clear Mount Stamp Cases with Dawn
Very useful info.
Thank you for posting this. I watched it and decided that is how I would do my new sets. I haven't done any of them yet waiting to see exactly what I wanted to do. My son had a double header travel baseball game on Sunday and I loaded them up in a box and worked on them at the games.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

For all the wood ones to unmount. I am thinking down to bare rubber. I will use either tack n peel or poster tape on the rubber and the acrylic blocks. I think if I have stamps I LOVE then I will do them nice in a DVD case. If it's a small set or something I only use here and there then I will put on sheet or something. Did you guys unmount your alphabet and number sets? Wasn't sure if I should just leave them on the wood. I have a lot though and it does take up room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisaobrienView Post
For all the wood ones to unmount. I am thinking down to bare rubber. I will use either tack n peel or poster tape on the rubber and the acrylic blocks. I think if I have stamps I LOVE then I will do them nice in a DVD case. If it's a small set or something I only use here and there then I will put on sheet or something. Did you guys unmount your alphabet and number sets? Wasn't sure if I should just leave them on the wood. I have a lot though and it does take up room.
Small alphabets are easier to use on pegs or blocks, larger ones are fine unmounted, in my opinion. I unmounted my Little Letters, then ended up mounting them on the blocks a cheap dollar set came on (I threw the dollar set away, such a fine item it was )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

So I already have about 40 stamp sets done. I ordered the CD cases from Amazon on Wednesday and they arrive the very next day. I couldn't believe it. Only cost me $36 for 200 of them and that was with shipping. Got the sore thumbs going on. Have my 9 year old daughter helping me. She like to make the labels and will also peel the rubber off on the easier sets. Not sure what to do with ALL the cases and wood blocks. I took my background stamps and monogram stamps out of the cases and store them in a sterilite 3 draw unit that fits them perfectly. Those cases I am reusing to store misc. things in. I even gave some to my mother. They didn't have any labels on the outside of them because I had attached it to the side of the block instead.I am leaving my alphabet and numbers mounted for now but still looking at about 300 stamp sets total that will be unmounted and put in CD or DVD cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #15  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I have lots of stamps and stamp sets stored in CD cases.

Some stamps in the cd cases are on ez mount foam and some stamps in the cd cases are bare rubber with tack it over and over glue on the back.

Both the ez mount foam and the tack it over and over glue are one time applications.

When I first started to buy bare rubber stamps I used to apply ez mount, but once I discovered tack it over and over glue, I stopped using the ez mount and have used (and still do use) tack it over and over glue on all of my bare rubber stamps - fast and easy and so economical and lasts forevah.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Down to the bare rubber?
I put EZ mount on the back of mine. I got mine from Stampers Best.

How do you store the stamps in the DVD cases? Do they just shake all around in there or do you attach them somehow?
The EZ mount gives the rubber stamp the cling that it needs. This makes it cling to the DVD case so that it doesn't shake all around.

What do you use to get the stamp to stick to the clear blocks? Do you use it every time you stamp?
The EZ mount is easy to put on the back of the naked rubber stamp and doesn't come off. It works great with acrylic blocks. And I've never had to replace it.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I unmounted all my SU sets, except for 2-3 sets I wanted to keep on the block. I kept the cushion on them. Took off the picture image and put on the top , and then put tack it over & over on top of the image. Got some cling sheets at my local office supply store. Cut them to fit the inside of mu clam boxes. I can get up to 8 sets in a box, by putting them on the inside bottom, on both sides of the cling sheet, and the lid of the box. I already had a notebook with my stamps pictures. I numbered the boxes, and put by the picture what box they are in. Works great. I had over 100 sets. Got rid of a lot of boxes. All I had to buy, was the tack it, and a few clear sheets at the office supply store.
Proud to be a fan club member. #67069
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I unmounted mine over a period of roughly two years. I did some here and there. I finally wrote up a tutorial on what method worked best for me. Mind you... I like foam on my rubber.

Paper Chrome: Unmounting Tutorial: Non-EZFoam alternative
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Question: If you use regular DVD cases, how do you keep the hub from damaging the stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome to Splitcoast! You have to put the stamps around it, rather than on it, or you will get damage. That's why most people get the hubless ones. Another Splitcoaster, imagine, is selling a bunch of them for $1.00 apiece. See this thread: PURGE!! New DVD cases no hub! - Splitcoaststampers, post #5. If you click on her user name it will give you options to send her a message or email if you want to...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 01-07-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes