Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Ikea FLYT magazine files?

Hi fellow crafters!

I saw on /someone's/ thread that they used these for their paper. I love the idea, but I have a few questions and my nearest Ikea is like 100 miles away. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it!

1) Are they big enough for 12x12 paper? Ikea says the 'package' is Width: 13 3/8" x Height: 1 1/8" x Length: 15" but I can't tell if that is constructed or like, the flat box they come in.

2) Are they sturdy enough for this purpose?

I really like to store my paper vertically and mostly use 8 1/2 x 11, but have a growing collection of 12x12 as I do more scrapbooking/collect more patterned paper. Right now I have one Cropper Hopper Vertical Storage thing but they are so expensive for flimsy plastic (and when on sale, out of stock), and all my 8 1/2 x 11 files are different styles. I am working on organizing my space and want to get enough to make everything similar. The price on this product is awesome, but I want to make sure it will work before I come up with a better reason for my husband to drive us to Phoenix this weekend!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #2  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't use them, but I am going to say no.

I have seen them and they didn't seem big enough for 12x12
i have the KNUFF wood ones, that details say 3 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 12 1/4"

also the KASSETT comes flat I believe, and they in the store did not seem any bigger than the wood ones, KASSETT have the same package dimensions as your Flyt ones

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I have these and I use them for 8 1/2 x 11 paper and they are pretty sturdy but just corrugated cardboard so nothing special. Since they fold flat and they are all one piece, the package dimensions accounts for the sides and bottom as well. I actually work for IKEA (offsite) and go to the store pretty often but I honestly don't ever remember seeing these that would hold 12x12 paper, I would definitely have noticed because I have some of this size pads too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I have lots of these in my craft room. I put all my PaperTrey paper in them (8 1/2 x 11) and also my SU papers that are that size. They're very sturdy. And I just found when I went there a few weeks ago, that they sell plastic label holders that can be put on the outside and you can write a description of what colors are in the box. I was thrilled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all the info, guys! I have some Kraft colored magazine holders I am using right now but they won't go with decor of my new combo guest/craft room. Right now I am trying to alter them by hand and it's not going terribly well. So maybe a trip to Ikea is in order, at least for my 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
Reply With Quote Likes