Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RYOBIV paper organization

I read that someone had done this with their paper "supply", and I would address them directly, but can't find the thread it was on. Anyway, I think this idea might work for me, but I am scared. Do you mix your brands of paper? I have mostly SU retired and current, some PTI and a few others. I really need to get this stuff all in one place so I can actually do something with it. So if you have any suggestions, or moral support for this idea, bring it on.:grin:

Debby
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the plunge a few months ago and love it! Most of my paper is SU with lots of retired. I decided to organize by color, then alphabetical within the color. I wish I had done it years ago. I used the SU old tab punch to punch a piece of the colored paper then printed out labels with the names. I can find the paper so much easier now (and my ink pads) and find I'm using more of my retired paper. I say go for it....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

considering abandoning SU's color families for rainbow order by bubamara at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I sent you a PM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Most of my supplies are in ROYGBIV order or separated by color - markers, pencils, cardstock, DP, ribbon, embellishments (in tackle boxes), scraps (in page protectors).
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Default RYOBIV (ROYGBIV)

I've had my papers organized by color (not in the ROYGBIV manner) for 7+ years and wouldn't have it any other way. I keep the papers in the cello bags; I've found the papers get less beat up that way. The top right group of papers are mixed packages. I have the colors I use the least at the far right or left of the shelf. I also have a "12 Month" folder and organize my scraps in it by color. I organize my inks on the carousel in the same manner and my markers are also in color groups. Much easier (for me) to find. Also, I punch a 1/4" circle of card stock to stick to the outside of each ink pad for quick identification. I attached a pic of my cabinet. (sorry for the mess in the middle)
Attached Thumbnails
RYOBIV paper organization-dscn0993.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I do this with everything too. I use a two drawer filing cabinet for my 8.5x11. I keep my different brands separated within the colour families, though. For example, I have a 'green' hanging folder for all of the Michaels/Recollections paper, then just behind that, I have all of the different SU greens (labelled) in hanging folders. I did the same with my 12x12 paper, and use the 13x13 3-drawer iris drawer units. I found, like others, that I just use all of my supplies more now that they are separated by colour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I do this too. Up until recently I kept my SU paper separate so I would remember the color names and my kids know that that paper is not for them. Now that more than half my SU papers are retired I'm considering merging all the paper together. I look the rainbow effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a ROYGBIV filer, too. I don't care about the brand names, although sometimes I wish I could recall where I purchased a certain paper. I think if brands were important to you, you could find a way to sort your paper within the files by company name.

I have all my paper filed in plastic file envelopes that are large enough to hold 12 by 12 paper. I also have my DP filed first by theme, and then if it doesn't fit in a theme, filed by color.

I sort everything I have in this same manner. I find I tend to look for things by theme or by color, so this puts all of my possibilities together. I think it is an easy way to store and find what you have. I still have my paper with paper, ribbon with ribbon, etc, but sometimes I think it would be interesting to have a large red box with every red thing I own from stamp pads to paper.

I am very happy sorting things by color. It makes it easy to put things away and to find what you have when you need it. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

I switched from Colour families to the rainbow order when SU did their colour renovation and absolutely love it - it's so easy to see the hues and find that perfect color. Wished I would have done it years ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I just changed my paper to the rainbow and have the paper in Cropper Hopper holders (currently on sale online) that are labeled (Pink, Burgundy, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Aqua/Teal, Blue, Purple, Cream, White, Black, Gray, Brown) with a punched piece of the color on the front/spine of the holder.

Cropper Hopper Vertical Paper Holder - 1PK*: paper organizers*: scrapbook storage*: storage*: Shop | Joann.com

with dividers inside

Cropper Hopper Dividers*: paper organizers*: scrapbook storage*: storage*: Shop | Joann.com

between the various shades of each color. The dividers have labels with the colors (i.e. Real Red, Rose Red, Ruby Red, etc.). Some colors have their own holder such as the Pacific Point/Baja Breeze and the Chocolate Chip/Close to Cocoa. So far I've only labeled SU! colors but other companies could be labeled, too. I have them all in 12 Jet Max cubes

Jetmax Modular Storage

but could use more cubes. LOL! I have LOTS of paper so small amounts are in the holders and then reams of paper or large packages of paper are in the slots next to the holders. (No, sorry, no photos to post here) I haven't put all my patterned paper away, yet. I think I'll put the obvious colors into the rainbow but some I'll put in a holder labeled Polka Dot, Stripe, Tropical, DeNami, Plaid, etc.

I really like the idea of putting the paper in file folders inside a file cabinet better to take up less space put I already had the cubes. It is pretty to look at! I am overwhelmed with how much paper I really do have! Enough for YEARS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

For those of you with the ROYGBIV organization will you please pm me with the order of your paper with both old colors and new. Thanks so much, I cant seem to get some of the colors into order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm a ROYGBIVer too but I also cutmost of my paper into 6x6 squares......I use an iris tote with handles....right now it is stuffed. I keep some of it in the 12 x 12(in ROYGBIV in the cropper hopper holders) in case I want to cover composition books or something but the 6x6 works great for me for card making, swaps and so forth. I also have the major seasons Christmas, Halloween, Fall, Valentines and papers for those are filed without regard to color. If the paper is double sided, I file one piece in each color group(if the two sides are different) and know that I can go to the other color file if I need another piece. Hope this helps.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I apologize, but can someone please tell me what ROYGBIV stands for? I tried looking through the post but I could have missed it. Thanks!
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara DeniseView Post
I apologize, but can someone please tell me what ROYGBIV stands for? I tried looking through the post but I could have missed it. Thanks!
Red orange yellow green blue indigo violet.

It's a mnemonic for remembering the order of the colors in a rainbow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

It's the colors of the rainbow - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. I've also seen it put Roy B. Giv. Making it a name helps me remember it. The trouble comes with colors like pink, white, black, brown, gray, etc. I tend to treat pink as light red and put the neutrals after purple. I also tend to treat indigo & violet as shades of purple.

I have magazine holders on my desk that I use for my cardstock & favorite 12x12 dp. I have multiple brands of papers & sort my cardstock in roybgiv order within brands. I have a labeled divider for each of the brands. I like it this way because it helps me match my colors better. For my dp, I have them mostly sorted by manufacturer. I love BG so each line is together in a large ziploc. My dd loves owls so I have all of those in a ziploc regardless of brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks SkyNacho & Stephanie
I thought that might be the case but wasn't totally sure.

I use the old color rote red - yellow - blue - green taught to me in 1st grade ... guess it's time to step into the brave new world!
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I've gone to ROYGBIV -- but can someone explain to me the difference between blue and indigo and indigo and violet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I am sure there is some technical explanation for this question, but I just don't think about it much. If I think of the color as some form of blue I file it under blue, and violet, and purple, are all some form of violet to me, so I file them in my violet envelope. I only use the ROY G BIV to remember the order and I don't actually have different storage for Indigo and Violet. I suppose you could divide them up into a darker purple and violet, but it is not a color I use a lot, so I tend to have only a small amount and can store all purple-related items together.

I use the ROY G BIV method to store everything by color, that isn't theme related, so it is the easiest way for me and any one else who works in my craft room to remember where to find things. I store browns and creams next, blacks and metallics next, and white last. It is an easy system to remember and follow as long as you can remember Roy's name!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Annie, that's about where I am! DH teaches elementary school and I'm thinking of asking him -- for the technical answer -- my practical answer is basically the same as yours -- one pile for blue, one pile for purple!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Don't stress over getting the order exactly right.

I have my papers by basic color, not ROYGBIV but similar. Each individual color is in a manilla folder within a larger file box. I use my SU label punch to help label my manilla folders. If I know the name and company of the paper, I write in on the folder label too.

Within each color grouping (greens, blues, purples, pinks, yellows, oranges, reds, and neutrals), I order from light to dark. I don't worry if it's perfect.

Here's a photo of one of my boxes. I lay them on their sides so the paper doesn't bend and warp. This one holds my purples and greens, with the one underneath holding all of the neutrals.

As long as you can go to your storage system looking for a certain color, and find it easily, then your system works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary56View Post
I've gone to ROYGBIV -- but can someone explain to me the difference between blue and indigo and indigo and violet?
Scientifically, the rainbow is what you get when white light is split through a prism. All the colors have different wavelengths, so those three colors are differentiated by their wavelengths.

As colors, I think of indigo as a purple that is more blue than red (or a really dark navy, like denim), and violet is a purple that is more red than blue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinX6View Post
For those of you with the ROYGBIV organization will you please pm me with the order of your paper with both old colors and new. Thanks so much, I cant seem to get some of the colors into order.
I would appreciate this too. I am racking my brain and I haven't found the order that feels right. Maybe you can help me shave off hours of my trial and error. (MY dh and 3 small kids would appreciate it too,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I have everything (paper, paint, brads, eyelets, glitter, markers) organized by color also. It's how I design, so it's so much easier for me to find things! I do tend to keep seasonal paper together in a separate drawer though, because that's used for a different reason!

I also have my papers together (regular with cardstock), but split into size, so I have a drawer for 12x12 and 8.5x11, then I have the rest of them cut to smaller sizes (8x8, 6x6, 4x4) in a smaller basket sorted by color.

The only things that are thrown in together are my 3D embellishments, they all fit in one basket, so there's no segmentation there

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
I took the plunge a few months ago and love it! Most of my paper is SU with lots of retired. I decided to organize by color, then alphabetical within the color. I wish I had done it years ago. I used the SU old tab punch to punch a piece of the colored paper then printed out labels with the names. I can find the paper so much easier now (and my ink pads) and find I'm using more of my retired paper. I say go for it....
I sorted my paper by color also, but I need to label the colors. The older packages don't always have the names on it. Like you say, I think it would make it much easier to find what I was looking for with the label. Great idea! I label practically everything else so not sure why I haven't done this yet.

Ready for Spring!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Quote:

To me Indigo is a purple with more blue than red and Violet is a purple with more red than blue.........LOL! Hope that helps.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkprincessView Post
I would appreciate this too. I am racking my brain and I haven't found the order that feels right. Maybe you can help me shave off hours of my trial and error. (MY dh and 3 small kids would appreciate it too,
OK I figured it out! After racking my brain forever and making it up the best I could I had a AHAHA moment when I used the new Color Coach from SU! so I then set up my colors off the way they have theirs. My original lisyt was very similar. I also looked on the the back of each card and if it had a Dynamic Duo I rearranged so those two were next to each other in the line up..... It pretty much was very close to their original. I did add the In-colors to the spectrum so that changed it a bit. I started with Basic Black, Basic Gray, Whisper White, Very Vanilla then into the browns that lead to reds, oranges, yellows, green, blue, indigo (has blue undertones which is why it follows blues on the color wheel), violet (which has red undertones- which is why would lead into the reds if you had it on the color wheel)

When I get back into my stamp area I will actually list the exact order I used to organize.

I hope this helps someone else as I had such a hard time transitioning into the ROYGBIV system I will use it for a while and report back on how I feel about. So far I LOVE the way it looks, and I was a STRICT color family in all medias ALL THE TIME, I am a CONTROL FREAK, OCD, and an A type personality. But this felt SO GOOD after I did it, a new sense of harmony if you will.

Last edited by pinkprincess; 01-16-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I recently organized my paper and ink by RGBIV and I love it! I can't tell you how much I love it.

I organized my markers by color family in zip locs again LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

On indigo -- I broke down and asked DH (5th grade teacher), he told me they've taken out indigo because it was so confusing! Ha! So when you ask him what is indigo, he'll tell you a plant that played a big part in the south before the Civil War! So really dark blue fades into a shade of purple, I'll figure it out when I'm scrapping I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

So what do I do with colors that are 2 or 3 SU! color revamping times ago?? I cannot seem to make myself part with it and I'm not sure what family to put them in. Does anyone have anything that shows what color goes in which part of the ROYBGIV acronym? Example, what do I do with Forest Foliage? Marvelous Magenta?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

You still have Forest Foliage? I LOVED Forest Foliage -- if I recall correctly, it's towards the blue green/green blue end of the/beginning of the spectrum. I forget Magenta! You're going to have to put there where you want to; I discovered that I had bazzill and a couple other brands that just didn't flow from one to the other very gracefully so I just kept manufacturer's together within green or blue or whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Quote:

You still have Forest Foliage? I LOVED Forest Foliage -- if I recall correctly, it's towards the blue green/green blue end of the/beginning of the spectrum. I forget Magenta! You're going to have to put there where you want to; I discovered that I had bazzill and a couple other brands that just didn't flow from one to the other very gracefully so I just kept manufacturer's together within green or blue or whatever.
Yes I do. Crazy, eh? I also have a huge amount of Baroque Burgundy. I've not used either in a long time, though. But I can't part with it.

I've already filled 18 Cropper Hopper Vertical Paper Holders. Crazy, eh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Wow Julie! You totally win! You need to get crackin' makin' cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 02:40 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Wow Julie! You totally win! You need to get crackin' makin' cards!
Not sure if it's a win - DH asked me how much each pack of cardstock cost and then he did a little calculation and asked me where his Harley is. (haha)

I do need to use what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Oh gosh, my brothers are all in to Harleys -- one very SERIOUSLY! Shop at home babe -- and I don't mean on the computer! Bwahahaha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #36  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie in IndyView Post
Not sure if it's a win - DH asked me how much each pack of cardstock cost and then he did a little calculation and asked me where his Harley is. (haha)

I do need to use what I have.
and you told him????
we have a strict don't ask, don't tell policy in this house.

I just put my inks in a ROYGBIV order and i love it. I will rearrange my cs next. I did all the su current colors then the retired colors in another set of ROYGBIV
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Where do you find your cello bags? I'm organizing my 12x12 patterned paper and need more of them (ones I had were originally from scrapbooking kits). I'd like some 12.5" x 12.5" Zip Cello Bags, but have looked all over the internet and can only find them wholesale. ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile cello bags

The ones I used are available to Stampin' Up demonstrators only as a supply item. It has an open end-no adhesive- and I think there were 50 to a bag. If you know a SU demo he/she may be willing to order some for you if SU allows it. They are not real expensive because they are not in their "commissionable" product line. You may also find them online as clear cello or polypropylene bags. The SU bags are about 13-7/8 x 14-1/4. Saw some bags sold by (100) at http://www.clearbags.com/13-7-16-x-1...r-341x490.html but I don't know if that would work and I have never ordered from that company or what the shipping would cost.

Last edited by suki; 03-05-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

ClearBags.com is an excellent place to order from. I buy the A2 card jackets to put cards in that I make for the troops via From Our Hearts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Default Paper organization

I sort my paper and cardstock like this...

Cardstock is ROYGBV...indigo, violet depends if it looks more blue or purple where I put it...then I have white and naturals...pinks go in with red

Paper is seperated into themes...beach, celebration christmas baby school hobby and such!

I also have 5 of those big huge stack books of paper and I leave those in their books. I have no idea what brand my loose papers are except the bazzil. And I actually do keep the bazzill seperate but I don't have too much of it!

I keep my paper in these "buckets" that I got from the container store once when they were on sale....

The Container Store > Multi-Purpose Bins

that is the link, I bought 18 of the large ones when they were on sale for 3 bucks each! I love them, and they are easy to throw in the car when I go off scrapbooking (at least it looks like it when my husband is loading the car up! LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
RYOBIV paper organization-100_1369.jpg   RYOBIV paper organization-100_1368.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes