Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which gutter for ribbon storage?

I have decided to try to store my ribbon using a gutter and bought what I thought would work today, but the style I chose is not large enough for my largest spools of SU ribbon. Is there something specific that I should be looking for? I brand or style? PVC or galvanized? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

no suggestions,sorry. way not take one roll w/ you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

It all depends on what sized spools you have most of. Take a few rolls with you. I believe most people use the galvanized metal gutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have much help, but from looking at pictures I think it's the PVC gutters that people are using. Also, take a roll of SU 1/4" grosgrain with you to make sure they'll fit.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I used white PVC guttering from Lowes.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Thanks guys - I guess I will head out with ribbon in my purse. I thought what I saw used was PVC, and I sent my husband to Home Depot, they only had one choice for PVC so that is what he got but ribbon does not fit - I guess I will have to look around a bit, I just assumed it was all basically the same, so did not give it too much thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

they might come in different widths
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

What size are your spools of ribbon? I have several SU, Offray, and even some of the larger ones from Mike's, and they all fit in my PVC white gutter system. I concurr that maybe you should take a few with you (especially the ones you have most of) and try them out at the store. This is the most economical and easy to access ribbon system I have had...and pretty to look to top it off
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Kristine, I bought a vinyl gutter last year for ribbon storage and I love it. I don't remember size details, but I took an SU! roll of 3/8 grosgrain to Lowe's with me. My husband cut it into pieces and I have 2 sections of 3 feet each with one above the other. They are mounted on the wall with the vinyl mounts for gutters and there is about 6 - 8 inches between them which works fine. What with SU!'s new satin ribbons, he may have to put the last piece up when my next order comes. ;) One word of advice: buy the end pieces that they sell near the gutters and glue them on with Crystal Effects for a neater finish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

How did yall get this cut I have a small car and a deployed husband and Lowes and Home Depot both refuse to cut it for me Ive called 3 different ones and they all said no and pretty much told me that it wasn't there problem. I don't know how to get this home or how to get it cut. I don't know anyone with a truck locally. Please help with ideas

thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Since it is plastic, all you need are a pair of sharp scissors (like the ones you cut cardboard or chip board with).
Decide before you go how long you would want it, and measure right there and cut it into manageble pieces. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappymommaView Post
How did yall get this cut I have a small car and a deployed husband and Lowes and Home Depot both refuse to cut it for me Ive called 3 different ones and they all said no and pretty much told me that it wasn't there problem. I don't know how to get this home or how to get it cut. I don't know anyone with a truck locally. Please help with ideas

thanks
OR, you could just get the white wire pantry storage units from Lowe's or Home Depot. They would fit in your car easily, don't have to be cut, and I love this for my ribbon storage. Here's a pix of what I'm using:

Close up of ribbon bank by kitkat55 at Splitcoaststampers

I have more pix on my gallery.

However, shame on Lowe's and Home Depot for not helping you! I thought HD, especially, was supporting the troops. Doesn't sound like YOURS is!

Thanks to you and your hubby for your sacrifices.

Blessings,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I hope that it's just because you called & asked. I would think that if you went in person (and asked nicely), it would be more difficult for them to say no to you!!!

I'd love to see a picture of the gutter system if anyone has one!

Thanks,

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajenView Post
I hope that it's just because you called & asked. I would think that if you went in person (and asked nicely), it would be more difficult for them to say no to you!!!

I bought some at Lowe's last year...I had to bring it home and cut it myself as they would not cut it in the store.

Jana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisystamperView Post
I bought some at Lowe's last year...I had to bring it home and cut it myself as they would not cut it in the store.

Jana
That's surprising! Maybe they don't have the equipment to do it? I have always been able to get help. My son was a robot for Halloween and we bought a dryer vent (I think it's aluminum) for him to wear on his arms & legs. I don't know that they were supposed to help us, and we did have to wait a few minutes, but they not only cut it for us, but they got a tool to bend the wire so he didn't get cut.

And I called Home Depot about a month ago to make sure they had a rubber hammer (I was putting together a wire shelf for my crafting supplies) before I made a trip for nothing. The person who was working in that department not only saved me a trip, but saved me some $, too. He told me to wrap a regular hammer in a towel and it would do the same thing!

In some places, it's hard to get any customer service these days, I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much ladies! Im going find a way to get them home if I have to cut them in the middle of the isle I will. Our lowes has horrible customer service! They don't help anyone unless you ask for it and even then sometimes they act like they didn't hear you. I would go to Home Depot but I go to lowes for the military discount if Home depot did it I would never go back to lowes but the 10% really helps my budget. Im thinking I may call coporate office about this if I have another bad experience again.

Thanks again
Seanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappymommaView Post
Thanks so much ladies! Im going find a way to get them home if I have to cut them in the middle of the isle I will. Our lowes has horrible customer service! They don't help anyone unless you ask for it and even then sometimes they act like they didn't hear you. I would go to Home Depot but I go to lowes for the military discount if Home depot did it I would never go back to lowes but the 10% really helps my budget. Im thinking I may call coporate office about this if I have another bad experience again.

Thanks again
Seanna
Just FYI Lowes has the best choices for gutter (at least around here) - home Depot only had one choice for pvc gutter and it did not fit my ribbon. They told my husband they were no longer going to be carrying pvc gutter, only galvanized. I got what I needed at Lowed - but we have a truck and the means to cut it. I hope that you found a way to work it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #18  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did anyone see the most current Better homes and Gardens? they showed ribbon stored in gutter with a mesh under it (I believe it would be the mesh you dwould lay on top of the gutter outside to prevent leaves) they threaded the ribbon through the mesh to keep it from becoming a mess. I loved the system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is so funny! I just bought a length of PVC gutter at Lowes the other day....wasn't sure which size I needed so I took my largest ribbon spools with me and had to go test out several of the gutters (which all looked like the same size) before I found one that fit the 1/4" SU grosgrain spools. When we checked out with some stuff that my DH was buying and the gutter the girl looked at me (spools of brightly colored grosgrain ribbon in hand) and said, "I'll have to ring those up" and I had to choke back laughter. I just held them up for her to see and said, "oh, this is ribbon, I brought it with me to make sure it would fit in the gutter" but my husband did start laughing after I told her it was ribbon. She couldn't tell what I had until I showed her so I didn't mind her asking, but it was pretty funny.

NOW I still have the entire length of gutter sitting in my stamp room and my DH said, "what? you want to mount that on the wall? no way!" so even though I got it home easily enough, I can't get my DH to cut it! However, after seeing the white wire pantry racks I am thinking maybe that would be a better option for me and wouldn't have to be nailed to wall. So good to see that someone else loves ribbon as much as I do! Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I love ribbon! I have plastic gutters. In my last home, I just had one gutter and I hung it in my shelf brackets....no screws...just sat in the brackets. My new home has one gutter (from Home Depot) in the shelf brackets (backwards)and the second (from Lowes) I screwed through the gutter and through the brackets bottom hole. Used the same brackets at both homes.....see my gallery for pictures of the first one I hung. Hope this helps!!
Reply With Quote Likes