Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #161  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejh1700View Post
Again, my husband being a polymer chemist & knowing all about this situation has clearly stated to me that acetate is a no-no for storing clear stamps on. Polyester sheets are the least stable of the "poly" sheets. The best is polypropylene and polyethylene. He says the polyester will do for a while, but it is best to seek out something better within the "poly" range because they are much more inert / stable and will not cause damage to the stamps.
The Dura-Lar says it is Polyester Film and so do the EZ-Mount Panels so if I understand you these are also not good for long term storage of clear stamps.

I just put my clear stamps on EZ-Mount storage panels which the company states on their site are safe for clear stamps and bought Dura-lar to use as a cover sheet . Now it appears this systems is not safe either.

The only Polypropylene I found were the Comic book sleeves that I used to put the storage panels into .

I appreciate your expert knowledge and information even though it is not what I needed hear .

Photopolymer stamps appear to be short term use stamps . Certainly not stamps to keep for any length of time .

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #162  
Die Cut Diva

The cost of the stamps and then buying all the stuff to store them plus the amount of storage space they need certainly makes a good case to go Digi!

Especially now that people have figured out how to use foiling to get the embossed look .

I seriously need to explore the digi idea .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #163  
Polyshrink Goddess

Barbara jay. My sentiments exactly. That's why I bought a canon pixma to be able to use cardstock. But then I see a cute dies set or a new stamp set and get sidetracked!

I am still so mad at myself for not knowing stampin up was getting rid of their digital line and svg files. I had printed the digital collection and had planned to buy many over next few months. But didn't know i had to buy it 3 weeks ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #164  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How safe is vinyl to store stamps on???? That is what I am currently doing. But I am in the early stages of doing this..... But I like the vinyl

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #165  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
Barbara jay. My sentiments exactly. That's why I bought a canon pixma to be able to use cardstock. But then I see a cute dies set or a new stamp set and get sidetracked!

I am still so mad at myself for not knowing stampin up was getting rid of their digital line and svg files. I had printed the digital collection and had planned to buy many over next few months. But didn't know i had to buy it 3 weeks ago!

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 that takes card stock or vellum with no problems.
I bought a Brothers HL-2240 laser printer for $50 on Black Friday so I can print images to color with Copics . Plus I have a Silhouette Cameo .

I am set to go Digi

I already found it saves a lot of money to just print digi Designer paper as I need it and not buy pads of paper that contain a lot of patterns I will never use or need to buy extra sheets so I don't run out .

I bought 32# Brochure paper and it feels just like commercial designer paper .

Stamps are expensive so for the manufacturers not to bother putting them on safe storage panels is for me the last straw .

With Color codes any color of ink can be duplicated and now embossing can be done with foiling and a laminator. Silhouette is introducing a machine this fall that can dry emboss with a stylus.

I will keep my Spellbinders dies and continue to buy colored card stock, but I think most everything else can go.

I don't need my closet stuffed with stamps and supplies , ink all over my hands or my dinette table covered with stamping stuff to be creative .

When I am making cards the dinette is such a mess I would be embarrassed to open the door to visitors.

Stampin Up loses a lot of sales by waiting for the last minute to announce retired products, but the good news is there are a lot of companies that sell great digi images

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 06-09-2015 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #166  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
Long-term Storage of Clear Stamps*

Clear Stamps that should be checked more frequently (or moved to Dura-lar or Laminated Sheets).
Kept on their original packaging acetate sheet, these have been know to melt over time.
  • 7 Gypsies
  • Autumn Leaves
  • Fiskars
  • Hampton Arts
  • Hot Off The Press
  • Inkadinkado
  • Martha Stewart
  • Studio G.

Clear stamps that are apparently not affected.
  • Crafty Secrets
  • Hero Arts
  • Paper Studio
  • Printworks
  • Stampendous
  • Stampington
  • October Afternoon

This information was provided by: Roni Johnson [InkStainswithRoni blog]

* We can work to expand this list. I will work on a FACT-SHEET with all the information I gather to help us preserve our beloved and costly stamps.
In this past week that I've been cataloging my polymer stamps, this is exactly my finding. Having a lot of issues with the companies listed at top with gooyey , yellowing and ripping stamps. Sigh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #167  
Forum Fanatic

I also had problems with Tim Holtz stamps sold by Michaels as they are not on the laminated cards when you buy them from Ranger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #168  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh dear, my TH ones I haven't gotten to yet. They're still on the white slick cardboard a they came on. They were the right size to store in my Franklin covey 3 ring classic binders, so I still have them in those.

I just need these to last into my retirement years. I'm 42 now, so still a long way to go. I don't want to replace or buy when I'm retired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #169  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingView Post
Oh dear, my TH ones I haven't gotten to yet. They're still on the white slick cardboard a they came on. They were the right size to store in my Franklin covey 3 ring classic binders, so I still have them in those.

I just need these to last into my retirement years. I'm 42 now, so still a long way to go. I don't want to replace or buy when I'm retired.
The slick board isn't a problem. It's the ones that they sold at Michaels that were on the acetate sheets. I had a set I didn't use for about 6 months and when I went to use them they were all yellow, they tore when I tried to remove them. I had an entire set of gummy bears
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

After reading through this thread I began to think about all the $ invested in clear stamps, and started taking a look at how I was storing them. So far the clear I have checked are ok (so I need to start transitioning them) but I was surprised by something else I found. I purchased some SU sets that had been unmounted by the seller, and put on to EZ mount. She had them stored in CD cases, which I just left alone. I have no idea how long she had them this way, but I have had them for over a year. When I took one out, the EZ mount had started to break down and was all sticky. I didn't have time to check out more of them, so it may not be a problem with all, but it was an eye opener for me.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #171  
Die Cut Diva

I realize our immediate concern is transferring our clear stamps to safer long term storage panels.
However, does anyone know the shelf life of actual rubber stamps?

The tires on my car had to be replaced because of their age. They were 12 years old . They had plenty of tread but had developed dry rot splits all around the rim .

Now I wonder how long the actual rubber of the stamps will last ?
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #172  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I realize our immediate concern is transferring our clear stamps to safer long term storage panels.

The tires on my car had to be replaced because of their age. They were 12 years old . They had plenty of tread but had developed dry rot splits all around the rim .

Barbara
I have red rubber stamps that are over 20 years old and they are in great shape. I never stored them on an open shelf (I cringe every time I see this). All my stamps were stored in cases out of the sun and I'm not a clean stamp person so they may have been stored with ink.

I have some old stamps I put on foam and the foam may have dried out or got gummy - I have no idea why but I can peel the foam off and the stamp is fine.

I consider all my clear stamps to have a short shelf life. This may not be true but it's how I feel. I try not to buy clear stamps unless they are on sale or with a coupon or other discount so I won't feel so bad when they finally tear or get gummy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #173  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I have red rubber stamps that are over 20 years old and they are in great shape. I never stored them on an open shelf (I cringe every time I see this). All my stamps were stored in cases out of the sun and I'm not a clean stamp person so they may have been stored with ink.

I have some old stamps I put on foam and the foam may have dried out or got gummy - I have no idea why but I can peel the foam off and the stamp is fine.

I consider all my clear stamps to have a short shelf life. This may not be true but it's how I feel. I try not to buy clear stamps unless they are on sale or with a coupon or other discount so I won't feel so bad when they finally tear or get gummy.
Whew!! It is a relief to read the actual rubber stamps last . If the foam backing deteriorates I can replace that . I got my clear stamps moved to EZ Mount storage panels with Dura-lar sheets over each set and they are in safe poly bags .
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #174  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Barbara
I have some rubber stamps that are almost 30 years old and still in perfect condition. They have always been stored in wheeled Iris carts.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #175  
Gallery Gazer

Ditto what Diane said. I have some stamps that I bought in the mid-to-late-80's (I know - some of you weren't even born then...) and they're fine. I think that weather and chemicals do a number on tires, where the stamps live a bit more sheltered life (at least I hope they do!) I have yet to see photopolymer stamps - regardless of quality - hold up as impressively. I still buy them if I like the images/sentiments, though. They last long enough for me to enjoy them and feel like I got my money's worth. I don't consider ANY of my toys to be investments - just FUN!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #176  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

If I remember my chemistry correctly (but without going into the chemical reactions at all!), it is exposure to ozone, oxygen (oxidation), and sunlight that causes rubber to break down. It's the reason RV-ers put covers on their tires when their RVs are parked...so those horrendously expensive tires last as long as their mileage estimate. You're right, Sue. Even rubber doesn't last forever, but it can last a long time if you keep it out of the sunlight.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #177  
Gabfest Goddess

I've kept my clear stamps on the sheet they came on and have done this for years. My oldest clear stamps are probably 8 years old and I've had no problems. I live in Florida and my craft room stays very warm for 7 months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #178  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

omg! I'm working to organize the room that has my computer, is my craft room (no clear surface on which to craft), guest room (no bed in it yet)...you get the idea. There is barely room to move around. I'm looking into stacked boxes that have been opened, but the flaps are closed & contents are unknown. Among other things, I found 6 packs of 5 Stamp N Store Lightweight Storage Panels from Sunday Int'l at $3.99 each = $23.94 for 30 sheets. Amazon wants $12.99 for 1 pack of 5 sheets (Prime) and $7.40 for 1 pack of 4 of the tabbed storage sheets (not Prime). I wonder how many stamps I can put on 30 storage sheets? Another omg - that's 60 sides if I use both sides! Oh, yeah, the date on the packing slip is Nov 2010!!

On another note: I have searched Amazon for the polypropylene dvd no hub cases. The cases from CheckOutStore show up, but as someone above states, the description just says they are "Made of high quality plastic" with no reference to polypropylene. Has anyone been able to determine if they are actually made of polypropylene? Thanks for your help.

Carolyn W.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #179  
Inking Addict

P S: Crafter's Companion has a package of 5 EZ Mount Storage Sheets for $4.95. A much more reasonable price compared to Amazon. Don't know the shipping for C C.

Carolyn W
mcw519
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #180  
Die Cut Diva

Gina K has them 4 panels for $2.95 and she offers FREE shipping on $50
TGKD Binder Sheets- set of 4 - Gina K. Designs, LLC

That is where I bought mine
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #181  
Inking Addict

Thanks, Barbara Jay. That's a great price.! Less expensive Than in 2010!

mcw519
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #182  
Inking Addict

Barbara -

Have you cut your EZ Mount Storage Panels in half? Mine are 8.5x11.

I've looked back in this thread to find how you are storing your stamps, but I can't find everything. I think you are putting the storage panels into comic book storage bags - is this correct? Are you putting stamps on both sides of the storage panels, or just one side?

Are you making an index to go with the stamps in the bag? Are you putting a layer of Duralar (sp?) over the stamps?

Please would you summarize how you are storing your clear & cling stamps? I would be very grateful if you would go step by step. I don't seem to be catching on to what people are actually doing. I don't have a laminator, die cutting machine, or any other machines, just stamps, ink, paper, hand tools, and a desire to get thngs organized when organizing does not come to me easily or at all. Thank you so very much.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #183  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Crafter's Companion actually makes the storage panels in three sizes:
5-1/2 x 8-1/4
8-1/2 x 11
8-1/4 x 11-3/4 (A4)
and with and without tabs.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #184  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Crafter's Companion actually makes the storage panels in three sizes:
5-1/2 x 8-1/4
8-1/2 x 11
8-1/4 x 11-3/4 (A4)
and with and without tabs.
Thanks so much! I didn't know about the different sizes.

Carolyn
mcw519
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #185  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcw519View Post
Barbara -

I've looked back in this thread to find how you are storing your stamps, but I can't find everything. I think you are putting the storage panels into comic book storage bags - is this correct? Are you putting stamps on both sides of the storage panels, or just one side?

Are you making an index to go with the stamps in the bag? Are you putting a layer of Duralar (sp?) over the stamps?

Please would you summarize how you are storing your clear & cling stamps? I would be very grateful if you would go step by step. I don't seem to be catching on to what people are actually doing. I don't have a laminator, die cutting machine, or any other machines, just stamps, ink, paper, hand tools, and a desire to get thngs organized when organizing does not come to me easily or at all. Thank you so very much.

Carolyn
Nevermind -- I found lots of information on specifics in a different thread about a Flip System for storing stamps.

Also, the My Favorite Things blog has a wonderful series about storing practically everything a stamper might own, or hopes to own. Once again, Jennifer McGuire deserves a lot of credit for her organizational talents. It seems that many stampers are using her systems.

Now, back to work finding, sorting, purging and labeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #186  
Embossing Fanatic

I am not buying anymore polymer stamps. I am sticking with rubber. I had some stamps before I moved and gave them away that were 20 years old. The rubber will last as long as I do, that is all that concerns me.

I refuse to waste more time trying to figure out the clear stamp storage delima.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #187  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default alternate clear stamp bags

i bought the avery elle bags that everyone talks about. i also bought the "other " option - DVD envelopes --from amazon. both are the same thickness and the same height. the amazon dvd case is slightly a tad bit wider. but the amazon one is much much cheaper.

i will be adding the link to the amazon one in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Going Crazy with Clear Stamp Storage-2015-08-12-19.23.52.jpg   Going Crazy with Clear Stamp Storage-2015-08-12-19.13.56.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #188  
Polyshrink Goddess

here is the link of the dvd case from amazon

Amazon.com: 200 CPP Clear Plastic Sleeve with Flap (Fits 14mm DVD Case Artwork): Electronics
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #189  
Mad Swapper

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the link!! I'll have to give these a try. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #190  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Barbara -

Carolyn
I buy my storage panels from Joann's when they are on sale (right now, they're 40% off): Stamp N' Stor Storage Panels 5/Pkg | Jo-Ann

And....normally, there's a free shipping coupon available each week.

I buy the 8.5x11 size and cut them in half. You end up with random holes and you may need to punch new holes if you're using them in mini-binders, but it doesn't bother me....it saves me money.

Also, every once in a while Crafter's Companion will have a sale. They ship for free with a $50 order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #191  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

i bought the avery elle bags that everyone talks about. i also bought the "other " option - DVD envelopes --from amazon. both are the same thickness and the same height. the amazon dvd case is slightly a tad bit wider. but the amazon one is much much cheaper.

i will be adding the link to the amazon one in the next post.
Nice!! Love the price. The ones from Amazon won't fit into the Fridge Binz. I wonder if you can use the WRMK Fuse tool to cut off extra width. It's more work, but for that price it may be worth it. Will need to think about it. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #192  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Barbara -

Carolyn
Carolyn, I used these storage panels from Gina K for clear and rubber stamps . I did not need to cut them they are about 5" X 8'

4 for $2.95 and free shipping with a $50 order
TGKD Binder Sheets- set of 4 - Gina K. Designs, LLC

I put the panels with the stamps on them into these comic book sleeves

http://www.amazon.com/BCW-Current-Co...c+book+sleeves

I used the printed sample sheet that comes with the stamps as an index in the back of the panel in the comic book sleeve . I put all of my stamps in two rows into a file box like this . I chose black so the clear stamps would not deteriorate from the light

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Storex-Sto...-Grey/42351871

I cut some CS to make dividers so I could sort them by holiday or type of card such as birthday or sympathy .

Hope this helps

I hope these links work

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 08-14-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #193  
Die Cut Diva

I deleted this it is a duplicate -Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #194  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlee717View Post
Nice!! Love the price. The ones from Amazon won't fit into the Fridge Binz. I wonder if you can use the WRMK Fuse tool to cut off extra width. It's more work, but for that price it may be worth it. Will need to think about it. Thanks for sharing!
I just had to repair one of the avery ones I had, the side was starting to tear...so I used my fuze tool to do it, and it worked wonderfully...so if these are anything like those...that should work if you need to make them smaller. Thankfully the bin I'm using has some room side to side...so I should be ok, but yes, it may be worth the extra work if you needed to since they are a LOT cheaper! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #195  
Die Cut Diva

I decided against using the Fridge Binz after I read that the clear polymer stamps can deteriorate when exposed to light or sun . Plus it was easier to store the black plastic file box in the closet. I don't have a good place to keep an open Fridge Binz with stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #196  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I decided against using the Fridge Binz after I read that the clear polymer stamps can deteriorate when exposed to light or sun . Plus it was easier to store the black plastic file box in the closet. I don't have a good place to keep an open Fridge Binz with stamps
Well, I'm not using a fridge binz (although I know some do...but am using a clear plastic bin, but it doesn't get much light where it is...in the basement, on the south wall, where the sun never hits, when it does venture in the east window. I did put dividers in there though, that will shield even the front ones from light...so should be ok. your black bin sounds like a good thing, if you have lots of light in the room though! I do wish I had more...but have no room besides where it is so...I am just happy for what I have. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #197  
Die Cut Diva

It was a lot of putzing to get this stamp storage system set up , but I am very happy with it. It is the best system I have had.

All the stamps are in one place and filed by category. I can quickly flip through them to find what I want .
Before this system I had some in Univenture binders; some in a photo box and a few in a shoe box . I had them stored by the company that made them . Now they are stored by category.
The previous way made it difficult to find what I wanted and easy to forget a stamp set that I had .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #198  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapperdoxieView Post
I just had to repair one of the avery ones I had, the side was starting to tear...so I used my fuze tool to do it, and it worked wonderfully...so if these are anything like those...that should work if you need to make them smaller. Thankfully the bin I'm using has some room side to side...so I should be ok, but yes, it may be worth the extra work if you needed to since they are a LOT cheaper! )
Nice!! Thanks for the info. Now, I need to add another tool to my collection. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #199  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I try to protect all of my stamping supplies from light exposure:
  • stamps in the Fridge Binz - goes a cabinet where the doors shut; they sit on a shelf that pulls out so that I can easily go through the stamps
  • rubber stamps - various methods of storage, but all out avoid light exposure
  • paper - in file drawers; paper rack in the closet
  • ribbon - in boxes
  • and so forth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #200  
Polyshrink Goddess

you can use the fuse tool or the walnut creek hot tool[i ihave this one] to "cut down " one of the sides and then seal.
Reply With Quote Likes