Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/)
-   -   Dura-lar and cling rubber stamp storage (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/dura-lar-cling-rubber-stamp-storage-592395/)

crafterinnc 02-17-2015 07:09 AM

Also, can you just stick the laminated sheets in zip lock type bags? I saw some bags
at target that said no BHA and made of polyethylene, is that good or bad?

Denverkat276 02-17-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperkids (Post 20899345)
I also wanted to organize my clear and cling stamps but I feel the envelope or cd / DVD case is a 2 step process. So I found clear acrylic sheets at lowes and cut them down for my drawer size. Then I just attached the stamp directly to it. I also tried gluing duralar sheets to this acrylic sheet and then sticking the stamp to it. This way I can flip through the acrylic sheets and pull off what stamp I need. I am wondering if this is a good long term solution. Or is the envelope one better. I will try to figure out how to upload a photo. I am new to papercrafting so I don't have a lot of stamps. Also I have separated my sets. ( all sentiments on one sheet / all animals on another sheet etc ).

I use those acrylic sheets too. I don't cut mine down though. I have them in square basket that I got from my sister. I think it was meant for a cubby of some type. I flip through mine like that. I have had them on these sheets for more than 2 years. It works for me. I'm planning on removing the wooden blocks and turn all the rest of them into clings as well.

I think in regard to long term, it's what works for you. If it works and it keeps you organized and you condensed your space that's what matters.... For you that is.

bunnystamper 02-26-2015 08:02 AM

Those of you that do naked rubber. Do you keep the stampin up stickers for reference?. I have a bunch that I am going to take off the foam because I couldn't get the clear mount.

I have also noticed that stamps that I have used tack it over and over on the foam is getting hard. Anyone else notice this?

Rainie55 02-26-2015 10:04 AM

Suzi, I cut the Dura-lar to fit into the Ellen Hutson pockets...slightly smaller than the pocket itself. Her pockets are heavier than the others and very durable. I think well worth the price. I purchased my Dura-lar from Michael's. It came in a pad format. I cut 2 out of each sheet from the pad. I used both for each set of stamps. One to have the stamps to cling on and one to cover the stamps. I then slid them into a pocket that already had a piece of white cardstock in it.

Here is the link to Jennifer McGuire's you tube about storage. This is what i choose to use for my storage and love it.
Jennifer has a lot of great ideas on storage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLT...&v=ZngIhBVv6YI

lharnish 02-27-2015 05:57 AM

I hope this isn't a really dumb question. Is the Duralar stiff and thick like an EZMount Stamp Board or would it have to be added to something to be stiff? I started off with EZMount Stamp Boards in 8.5X11 size inside page protectors but this system has caught my eye.

stamphappy1650 02-27-2015 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnish (Post 20909171)
I hope this isn't a really dumb question. Is the Duralar stiff and thick like an EZMount Stamp Board or would it have to be added to something to be stiff? I started off with EZMount Stamp Boards in 8.5X11 size inside page protectors but this system has caught my eye.

Not a dumb question at all... it's flexible/floppy

Rainie55 02-27-2015 08:24 AM

Leslie, this is why i put the cardstock behind it before i add it to the pockets. It give some stability and uniformity too.

lharnish 02-27-2015 10:20 AM

I think that was what was making me confused because when I looked up Duralar at a local art supply store, it was clear. It makes more sense now.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainie55 (Post 20909329)
Leslie, this is why i put the cardstock behind it before i add it to the pockets. It give some stability and uniformity too.

bunnystamper 03-30-2015 01:42 PM

Ok Ladies, for those that do bare rubber how do you get the adhesive off of the rubber once you remove the old foam? I have skin issues and this is killing my hands. Any suggestions?

hoptownracer1 04-03-2015 07:26 PM

Do you have one of those hard, yellow, rubbery erasers for removing glue spots on projects? I used one of those a few times, but had to be careful with it when using it on the stamp.
Thanks for all this info on redoing stamps. I've got a lot of my rubber stamps stored in the bigger cd cases. Think I'll laminate a card stock sheet to attach the stamps to inside the cases. At least that way, they won't be in contact directly with the plastic case. I think that would work....

bunnystamper 04-04-2015 11:20 AM

Glue eraser won't work the adhesive is to tacky.

bjlee717 04-18-2015 02:06 PM

Enabler Alert - the Fridge Binz that JM uses are on sale at the Container Store. I believe they are on sale until May 3rd.

KristaTracy 04-20-2015 08:49 PM

I got my Duralar at Hobby Lobby with 40 percent off coupon.

I got my Avery Elle pockets from joann.com when they were 50 percent off.

You can get pockets for your larger sets from Tim Holtz or a knockoff version at Hobby Lobby. So far, I have just doubled up with the Avery Elle pockets. For example, with my larger Paper Trey sets, I put both sheets of stamps in the same pocket. But I have the tip sheet on the front of the pocket, so I can see all of the stamps contained in the pocket.

bunnystamper 06-14-2015 07:02 AM

I am half way through my quite extensive stamp collection. Do y'all use 1 or 2 pieces or Duralar for cling mounted rubber? It just seems to be a waste to me but I don't want to ruin my stamps.

JBgreendawn 06-16-2015 09:12 AM

what are you all doing with the really big sets like say Sweet & Sassy stamps precious poppies or something like that? I started moving my clear stamps to the avery elle pockets. but, have not done anything with the big sets.

and I have to make something for my old sets to stick to for the pockets because, a long time ago I moved all my clear stamps to inside MM tins :mrgreen: so ask me how often I use stamps I cannot see ;)

bunnystamper 06-17-2015 09:27 AM

So I discovered something over the weekend, when I had a couple seconds of peace and quiet(9 granchildren in 1200 sq ft takes a toll on the nerves). You can take the cling stckers off of Stampin up stamps. I have been removing the ones I mounted and putting them on the duralar for positioning.

dgmlmax 02-10-2016 08:25 AM

Avery Elle pockets with larger sets?

Hi everyone. I just found this thread. I have done a majority of my clear stamps using the Avery Elle pockets. My question is about the larger sets, what do you do with those? I have decided I want to put them in the same pockets, it will require me to use duralar. I just don't know what to do with the original clear sheet that has the stamped images. I don't want to cut them up. But then again saving them seems silly, as what's the point of refining my storage if I'm holding onto the extra packaging stuff. What did any of you do with your larger sets if you use the Avery Elle pockets? I don't want to use 2 pockets as it too expensive, plus I'm really trying to cut down on the room that all of my 20 years worth of stamp sets take up. Thanks so much. Dina

JBgreendawn 02-12-2016 10:19 AM

Dina, I ended up buying http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Top-Load-Envelopes-inches-74804/dp/B00006IC85/ref=cm_wl_huc_item for the "large" sets and then I have my "large sets" in a basket separate from the slimmer avery elle sized pockets.

that keeps the whole set in once pocket. ( the Tim Holtz sized boards from ranger / stampers anon. fit into that pocket too. )

( I have like on the Sweet and Sassy sets put the set into the pocket sideways) and all of these larger sets, I cut the pocket down ( I am at work so, I cannot tell you how far down but a couple of inches I would guess off the top of my head)

bunnystamper 02-18-2016 06:54 AM

I am going to bite the bullet and all remaining wood mount are going naked!! My question is this, when I use these naked stamps I use a piece of craft foam underneath of the project?

RJP111 02-18-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnystamper (Post 21179002)
I am going to bite the bullet and all remaining wood mount are going naked!! My question is this, when I use these naked stamps I use a piece of craft foam underneath of the project?

You don't have to stamp on top of cushioning when you are using your naked stamps, but I have found that I get a better image if I do.

bunnystamper 02-18-2016 12:36 PM

Thanks Robin

bunnystamper 02-19-2016 04:17 PM

Has anyone used undone to remove the adhesive residue of the naked rubber?

gregzgurl 02-19-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnystamper (Post 21180111)
Has anyone used undone to remove the adhesive residue of the naked rubber?

I've used Un-du on some super-stubborn glue/foam on some stamps, but I don't recommend it. It evaporates too fast and it's kind of a hot mess. I usually just keep trying to rub it off with my thumb or something. I've had blisters happen from time to time...

bunnystamper 02-21-2016 03:33 PM

So I discovered something today! If you freeze the stamp the rubber peels off easier and the residual rubber cement rubs off easier.

melissa59 02-22-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 21180148)
I've used Un-du on some super-stubborn glue/foam on some stamps, but I don't recommend it. It evaporates too fast and it's kind of a hot mess. I usually just keep trying to rub it off with my thumb or something. I've had blisters happen from time to time...

You might want to get an adhesive eraser. You might wear a couple of them down but they won't give you blisters. OUCH! Blisters are not fun!
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fie...tag=mozilla-20

gregzgurl 02-22-2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59 (Post 21182367)
You might want to get an adhesive eraser. You might wear a couple of them down but they won't give you blisters. OUCH! Blisters are not fun!
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fie...tag=mozilla-20

Have one - used it with mixed results... Thanks for the suggestion, though!

bunnystamper 02-26-2016 07:41 PM

I did as all of the 80-100 set my had with my thumb and the freezer but I had to use goo gone for the most difficult ones. There were about 10 and I had no issue. I am starting Monday with the tack it over and over, getting the on duralar and sleeves should be fun.

Lorri.V. 03-03-2016 08:07 AM

Just an FYI when you paint on the Tack it Over use it thinly, I might even dilute mine next time with a little water. I did too many of my stamps a little thick and they kind of get messy on the storage. I did a few yesterday with my finger and rubbed thin and they are nicer to mount.

Lorri

gregzgurl 03-04-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V. (Post 21189188)
Just an FYI when you paint on the Tack it Over use it thinly, I might even dilute mine next time with a little water. I did too many of my stamps a little thick and they kind of get messy on the storage. I did a few yesterday with my finger and rubbed thin and they are nicer to mount.

Lorri

The issues you mention are exactly why I'm not a fan of TIOO. I was using a Sailor glue marker until they became impossible to find. I switched to the big Zig chisel-tip 2-way glue marker and it's as good as the Sailor - tacky enough to hold well, but no residue on the carrier sheet or block at all...

Covington Crafter 03-05-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 21180148)

I have a pumice stone on a handle. The stone is curved and works really well. I think it's from an old pedicure kit.

gregzgurl 03-05-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington Crafter (Post 21190503)
I have a pumice stone on a handle. The stone is curved and works really well. I think it's from an old pedicure kit.

I think I've got one of those laying around somewhere - I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for the heads-up... ;)

2busyscrappin 03-05-2016 03:43 PM

I have a question for everyone.

What if want to use the Misti with necked rubba how the heck would it work! Especially if you want to do repeated stamping. :?:

It made for clear mounted stamps :confused:

fionna51 03-05-2016 05:18 PM

You can use the MISTI with both clear mount stamps and photopolymer stamps. To use with "necked rubba" :) you need to use the same method as the photopolymer (with the foam sheet on the inside under your paper), but may need some shims of cardstock under the foam depending on the thickness of the rubber.

Not that I have experience with that...but Sue (above) has said that was what she did. :)

gregzgurl 03-06-2016 09:44 AM

Yeah, I have two pieces of foam - the one that came with the MISTI and a piece of fun foam and I use one or both when I stamp - depending on the thickness of the rubber or photopolymer (they vary quite a bit). I have 2-way glue on the back of all of my "nekkid rubber", but once in a while I'll have a stamp that I haven't put the glue on yet and I just use double-sided tape on the back of it to hold it to the MISTI. I've been using (read: abusing) that poor thing for nearly a year and a half, and - although she's a bit rough around the edges now - she still performs perfectly every time, and is none the worse for wear from the tape.

I also use poster tape to hold a laminated card loaded with stamps so I can stamp the entire thing on an index card at once - saves TONS of time over stamping each image/sentiment individually. Best investment ever (along with my laminator, of course, lol)! I'm probably a bit extreme, because even brand-new, cling foam-mounted stamps get ripped down to bare rubber. I'm a space miser, and the foam takes up too much...

2busyscrappin 03-06-2016 06:34 PM

Sue do you use only nekkid rubber now

gregzgurl 03-06-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappin (Post 21191422)
Sue do you use only nekkid rubber now

Yes - and photopolymer. Even if I buy wood-mounted or cling foam-mounted, I strip them down to bare rubber, trim them (if needed), scribble Zig glue on the back and let them dry for several hours (or overnight) before putting them on laminated cardstock to store them.

2busyscrappin 03-07-2016 08:01 AM

How do you catalogue the images so you know which one is which.?

I looked on YouTube but nothing caught my eye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 21191467)
Yes - and photopolymer. Even if I buy wood-mounted or cling foam-mounted, I strip them down to bare rubber, trim them (if needed), scribble Zig glue on the back and let them dry for several hours (or overnight) before putting them on laminated cardstock to store them.

gregzgurl 03-07-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappin (Post 21191679)
How do you catalogue the images so you know which one is which.?

I looked on YouTube but nothing caught my eye.

I have a binder with pics of complete sets (or, in many cases, the survivors of a set where I have given away some/most of the other stamps from the set), organized alphabetically by manufacturer. For the stamps themselves, I stamp a 4" x 6" index card to go in one side of the photo sleeve where the laminated card holding the stamps is in the other side. I know that makes little/no sense, so here's a visual:
http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...04e4453044.jpg http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...627048f4b7.jpghttp://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...b6e45cc2de.jpg

http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...a5766fcfba.jpg

fionna51 03-07-2016 07:41 PM

Looks so good, Sue! Maybe "nekkid" is my next step. That's the next way to improve storage for me going forward...other than another purge, that is.

2busyscrappin 03-08-2016 01:44 PM

Sue: you have just made my life easier. :D

I also have the fuse tool and that's an idea I can do.

jenjoy71 03-09-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 21189907)
The issues you mention are exactly why I'm not a fan of TIOO. I was using a Sailor glue marker until they became impossible to find. I switched to the big Zig chisel-tip 2-way glue marker and it's as good as the Sailor - tacky enough to hold well, but no residue on the carrier sheet or block at all...

Hi Sue... :) Ok so I got the Zig marker and applied a swipe glue up one side and down the other side... let it dry overnight and the next day stuck it to a sheet of duralar... then I went to move it to a different spot of the sheet and when I pulled it up it left residue and you could see the adhesive pulling up. Do you think I put to much? all I did was a thin coating.. ughhh I was so hopeful.. hahah Have you noticed anything like this? Share your expertise :)

Cathy H 03-09-2016 12:45 PM

Sue, I am going to ask a couple of questions that I think I know the answer to but just gotta ask before I do my laminating..... You laminate a white piece of cardstock with NOTHING on it, right? 8 1/2 by 11. Then cut it in half?!?!?!?!?!?
The only stamping is on the index card.......
Thanks for the pictures... worth a thousand words.... but I can be so dense at times.....

gregzgurl 03-09-2016 05:45 PM

I laminate a half-sheet of cardstock in each pouch so the other half is just clear, fused to itself. I cut the clear the same size as the laminated cardstock and use it as a cover sheet so the whole thing will slide in and out of the sleeves without sticking. And yes, the only stamping is on the index card...

gregzgurl 03-09-2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71 (Post 21193023)
Hi Sue... :) Ok so I got the Zig marker and applied a swipe glue up one side and down the other side... let it dry overnight and the next day stuck it to a sheet of duralar... then I went to move it to a different spot of the sheet and when I pulled it up it left residue and you could see the adhesive pulling up. Do you think I put to much? all I did was a thin coating.. ughhh I was so hopeful.. hahah Have you noticed anything like this? Share your expertise :)

I'm glad you said something, because I've noticed that it is kind of hit-and-miss. Like you, I was so hopeful, and the initial stamps that I used the Zig on didn't do that. They were brand-new, though, and didn't have any residue from being stuck to foam for years or whatever, and I'm wondering if that made a difference.

I think that I'll test a stamp or two that was previously stuck to foam by cleaning the back really well with Ultra Clean, then rinsing with water and letting it air-dry, then apply the glue. It will be kind of a nuisance to have to do that with every stamp going forward, but less of a nuisance than if I have to re-do everything all the time because the adhesive is a hot mess all over everything.

I'll let you know how the experiment turns out...

lharnish 03-10-2016 03:47 AM

I have a Misti and I have a piece of Tack N Peal mounted on a sheet of cling vinyl that I can take on and off the Misti when I want to use bare rubber. It works great and i keep it in a file folder in my Misti case when not in use. I haven't committed to taking all the cling off my existing rubber stamps but might in the future. I was not a fan of using the Aleene's TIOO on the back of the stamps.

jenjoy71 03-10-2016 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 21193517)
I'm glad you said something, because I've noticed that it is kind of hit-and-miss. Like you, I was so hopeful, and the initial stamps that I used the Zig on didn't do that. They were brand-new, though, and didn't have any residue from being stuck to foam for years or whatever, and I'm wondering if that made a difference.

I think that I'll test a stamp or two that was previously stuck to foam by cleaning the back really well with Ultra Clean, then rinsing with water and letting it air-dry, then apply the glue. It will be kind of a nuisance to have to do that with every stamp going forward, but less of a nuisance than if I have to re-do everything all the time because the adhesive is a hot mess all over everything.

I'll let you know how the experiment turns out...

Well im sorry you have experienced the same thing hit or miss. But atleast it wasnt just me hahah! It seems me to be hit or miss on my stamps too but the ones I did yesterday were new.. so who knows! I think it might just be one of those things I or we have to deal with... ughhh I look forward to hearing on your experiment :)

gregzgurl 03-10-2016 04:26 AM

I'm really bummed that Sailor quit making their big chisel-tip glue marker. I NEVER had this issue with it! I thought that the search was over for a replacement, so I'm double-bummed that it's not working out as I'd hoped. Further bulletins as events warrant...

jenjoy71 03-10-2016 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl (Post 21193704)
I'm really bummed that Sailor quit making their big chisel-tip glue marker. I NEVER had this issue with it! I thought that the search was over for a replacement, so I'm double-bummed that it's not working out as I'd hoped. Further bulletins as events warrant...

I WONDER if the fine tip would work from sailor.. just takes more scribbles to get enough adhesive.. hmmmm To bad we cant contact Sailor and figure it out! HAHA