Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/)
-   -   desk or table for crafting? What do you use? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/desk-table-crafting-what-do-you-use-640417/)

bmwlawky 01-02-2022 07:24 AM

desk or table for crafting? What do you use?

When I moved this summer, I had to get rid of the desk I used for crafting. I need something different for the new craft room. It has slanted walls, so I don't have the space for a dream box (even if I wanted to spend the money on it.) I've looked at several things online but can't decide. I want it to be sturdy. Any suggestions? Thanks,
Billie Sue

mac4551 01-02-2022 07:51 AM

I actually have two desks - sitting in an "L" shape. My craft room is my laundry/water softner room and I have a couple of stands, plus when we remodeled our home we added a new kitchen, the old cheap house trailer kitchen cabinets were hung in my craft room - perfect for my needs. Both desks actually have way too much stuff on them, but I do have a Crafters Companion glass mat on one desk that I do all my work on. A friend of mine bought a used FLAT door at a garage sale, and bought 2 2-drawer filing cabinets, put them on each end, and had the door across them as a desk. It give her such a nice large work surface, it was fantastic. (she moved and it didn't fit in her new place) You do have to look around as most doors have some kind of decorated/raised designs, but a completely flat door is the perfect larger desk. If you wanted some kind of DIY desk, you tube is the perfect place to search.

Happy Crafting !

wavejumper 01-02-2022 08:10 AM

I am using a pretty old Formica drafting table I already had. I put shelves across underneath the cross bar supports plus just some stacked boxes...I like the height bc it is easy for me to stand and work if I need to but I have an adjustable drafting chair I usually sit on.

If I had a choice...I would get a piece of Formica and put storage units under it. I think Formica comes in nice patterns now-not just solids but it could make for a nice pop of color that way too.
I am messy when I work so I cant have anything too fancy/expensive.

I have seen some things that have really nice drawers or cubbies on the two sides-depends on how much access you would have from that direction.

As for the slanted ceiling-you are not alone. There are some storage ideas people use to mount to it. Like spice racks for embellishments, ribbon racks, pens cups, etc that can be on a slant. So don't think of that as a horrible limitation. :)

GypsyRoseStamper 01-02-2022 10:33 AM

Can't beat the Ikea Alex line for versatility. You choose the length of the separate plank top and whether you want drawer units or legs on one side. I have two set up in L-shape, and another Ikea table is added to make a T formation. (The desks are not against the wall but in the middle of the floor.)

ozarkstamper 01-02-2022 08:55 PM

I have a formica-type counter top hubby installed for me years ago. He screwed 2x4s to the wall to support it, and I have various things under it for storage that I have acquired over the years at consignment shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc. I love to repurpose things and to organize things, and reorganize things. One can often find building materials at Habitat for Humanity stores, Goodwill stores, consignment shops, etc. for much lower prices than new items at big box stores. Good luck with designing your craft space, and have fun in the process!

bmwlawky 01-03-2022 06:50 AM

Thanks, Everyone! I'll start looking at hardware/home improvement stores!

auntiof8 01-05-2022 12:57 PM

I use a set of two oak 2 drawer file cabinets with a desk top my hubby made out of plywood, covered in a Formica type product. The top flanks over the two file cabinets. We found the file cabinets bases at a place in Seattle that goes in to a residence or office and salvages out the cabinets, fixtures, and such. The two cabinet bases are a kitchen desk that was dismantled, we bought other pieces, but he file cabinets are the best! We paid about $ 50 for both the bases. They are very industrious, and heavy. One of the file drawers is all my scraps in 8.5 by 11 page protectors, and by color. Might check to see if you have any such salvage place near you for ideas.

lylacfey 01-06-2022 05:11 AM

I have an old farmhouse table in my room. She is not expensive. It's a nice size table. All the paint and ink stains are part of her history.

I am moving cross country. I won't give up my table. It's a classic, will move easily and fit into another home without problems. It's one of those tables. I would like to get a drafting table. If you take a peek at Amazon they have the most beautiful drafting tables now that are really good for our paper crafting. I think it would fit cute on slanted walls. I had those walls. So pretty & unique. They are a design nightmare, lol.

JBgreendawn 01-09-2022 11:29 AM

depends on you? do you sit or stand?

personally I stand, and I spent a lot of time ( years ) hemming and hawing over having something custom built like think kitchen island and one day I happened to see some Husky work benches at Home depot that have crank handles and butcher block looking tops with a couple drawers. So, two followed me home and I am pretty happy with them so far and they were significantly cheaper than a custom build. So, I do not feel much remorse when splattering paint lands on them, it wipes up. kwim?
they do not seem to have the ones I have at the moment but, I bought the 52" ones with White bases and two drawers. (similar to what you see on this link)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72...2B12/307723263

and I put them back to back

TexasGrammy 01-09-2022 03:22 PM

I use a very sturdy 'kitchen' table that I found on an online marketplace thru Facebook for our specific town/area. I used the chairs that came with it during classes, but now just need to refinish them with chalk paint for a new look. I also use a table from a kitchen set purchased earlier from the same group on FB. Since it's a little smaller in top space, it's my cutting table for my Dahle cutter, right behind where I'm sitting at the stamping table. These were both great "finds" as people were moving and planning to get new stuff at their new location, i.e. it needs to go! ;-)

browpr 01-10-2022 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwlawky (Post 22140135)
When I moved this summer, I had to get rid of the desk I used for crafting. I need something different for the new craft room. It has slanted walls, so I don't have the space for a dream box (even if I wanted to spend the money on it.) I've looked at several things online but can't decide. I want it to be sturdy. Any suggestions? Thanks,
Billie Sue

I am using an oak kitchen table that is older than I am and another formica kitchen table my husband had. I like to sit when I craft. The oak one is my main table and I covered a lot of it with tempered glass from a local shop. In another part of my studio I have a flat door with file cabinets that sit on concrete bricks to raise it to standing height.

lmspengler 01-12-2022 04:11 AM

I second the idea of the Ikea Alex pieces. I have 3 different ones and a 2 drawer filing cabinet placed in an L-shape. I topped them with old sliding closet doors that I had removed during renovation. You can probably find some at a Habitat re-use facility or online at a local marketplace. No one wants that 70s look any more. They are flat and long, plus saved the cost of an Ikea top.

fl_beachbum 01-12-2022 04:22 AM

I have one of the desks from ikea and really like it. If I were able to add a second top to my work space, I would buy a work table from the hardware store. They have one that you can lift or lower with the push of a button so that you can work sitting or standing. (I think Ikea has one, too, but the hardware store one looks sturdier.)

Leeleeb 01-12-2022 04:59 AM

I also use two Alex Ikea cabinets with a plywood top. The top is covered in Ranger silicone sheet that comes by the foot from Joggles W
works great.

Lisa D. 01-12-2022 08:00 AM

Depending on what I am working on, and how long I am at it, I move from standing to sitting. My 2 standing worktables are actually old workbenches from DH workshop. One top is actually a flat door, as suggested further up in these notes. On both of these spaces, I took a 60" metal ruler from the hardware store and screwed it to the front edge of the tables--automatic measuring tool that I never need to hunt down! These stand-up spaces are tall enough that I have retrofitted underneath the tables with the 12"x12" storage racks from the Container Store. My room is right off our our family room, so when the family is watching TV/movie, I want to join them rather than just listen from the next room. For this space, I have the perfect smaller crafting/drafting table from Michaels (still available from their online store for about $200--was my Christmas present several years ago). Not able to get from Ikea; however, Stamp-n-storage has storage components (including a desk) that fits lots of smaller crafting items (some are even made for Ikea kalax pieces).
We have lived in this house since 1997, so this room has morphed through the years as I have found better ways to craft--the journey of finding what works is half the fun!

octoberbabe 01-12-2022 06:24 PM

I have a 6 foot banquet table you can get at places like Home Depot or Menards. I then purchased a remnant length of Formica countertop in 6 feet and placed that on top. It is very sturdy and I like how Formica stand up. Works well for me.

happy-stamper 01-13-2022 03:21 PM

I have a thrifted desk with a formica top that I really like. We have an old house with many doors and my stamp room is visible from the dining room and kitchen and must be walked through to get to the downstairs bathroom, so I'm happy to have something that looks fairly nice and has drawers for storage. It's a teachers desk, so it's also made to have someone sit across from me which is nice when one of my daughters wants to journal while I'm stamping. I also have two units with file drawers below, then shelves, and topped with a nice surface where I do most of my actual stamping standing up.

The worst thing I've ever had was an old dining room table. It had lots of space for me and the kids, but it was a pedestal table and the whole thing would tilt when I pressed down hard on a stamp! Not good!

pepperann 01-19-2022 06:03 AM

A couple years ago, I got really lucky at Home Depot. It was inventory time and they were offloading a bunch of display cabinets really cheap. I purchased two kitchen ones and then picked up one of their 6 ft formica countertops to place on top and home I went. I'm very lucky that in my job I have a coworker who is very handy and he had it put together and set up in my craft room in less than an hour. It works like a charm and I spent less than $100. For all the different crafting I do on it, it still looks brand new.

I like to look around for things like this and right now, it's inventory time again, so I'm on the hunt for a few more things!:p

Lady Bugum 02-13-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 22142130)
depends on you? do you sit or stand?

personally I stand, and I spent a lot of time ( years ) hemming and hawing over having something custom built like think kitchen island and one day I happened to see some Husky work benches at Home depot that have crank handles and butcher block looking tops with a couple drawers. So, two followed me home and I am pretty happy with them so far and they were significantly cheaper than a custom build. So, I do not feel much remorse when splattering paint lands on them, it wipes up. kwim?
they do not seem to have the ones I have at the moment but, I bought the 52" ones with White bases and two drawers. (similar to what you see on this link)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72...2B12/307723263

and I put them back to back

Yes, these Husky crank tables are nice. My husband has one for all of his amateur radios. But for a craft table I want deeper than 24". I have an old heavy folding table about 30" by 5 ft. I just don't like the slanted folding mechanism underneath because it reduces the things I can store under it.

Bohodiva 03-15-2022 02:03 PM

Another table added

4 Attachment(s)
I don't know about you, but when I'm working on projects I like having all my supplies and tools around me within arms reach.
I just ordered another table for my mixed media workstation in the den. Currently I have 3 wooden tv trays butted up against each other to create a side table on that side of the room.
(Sewing area on the other side of den has 3 tables: 1 for sewing 2 for cutting and ironing, etc.)
The tv trays work, but the bottoms are not open for additional storage because of the folding legs.
The new table has adjustable height which will be closer to the height of my work table and open space underneath for small 3 rack shelves to fit if needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifetime...b57b9c4cb06f07

Bohodiva 03-15-2022 02:07 PM

I apologize for the pictures posting sideways, I don't know why or how to fix.

GypsyRoseStamper 03-15-2022 06:25 PM

Hey, it's good exercise for the neck!

Bohodiva 03-15-2022 07:57 PM

New side table

3 Attachment(s)
I picked up the table from Home Depot and set it up. It will work just fine for my needs.
I'll move the majority of supplies over to the table to free up more workspace.
I moved the overflow items from the left side shelving rack and trimmers to the tv trays under the table until needed. In addition, I have a small set of storage drawers tucked under the table. Leaving space for more storage drawers, but I may move a small shelving unit from the deck to that location removing the tv trays altogether.
I used an old pair of curtains to make a tablecloth by sewing the two panels together and folding it down to size.
Tomorrow I'll run out to the Dollar store and pick up a clear shower curtain to top it off and rearrange things again.

Bohodiva 03-15-2022 07:59 PM

I know why my previous pictures are sideways, I used my phone to take pictures.
The new photos were taken with my tablet and are right side up.