Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/)
-   -   Carpet Tiles? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/mission-organization-256/carpet-tiles-580324/)

Harley Queen 11-01-2013 11:35 AM

Carpet Tiles?

My SB space is in the family playroom above the garage. I hate hate hate the carpet that is in there now. I'd love wood floors, but because the room is above the garage, the floors get chilly in the winter. So I'm thinking about doing carpet tile. I figure if there's a spill, I can peel up the old square and plop down a new one. Plus it would be low pile and I'd still have some insulation for those bare feet in the winter.

So do any of you have carpet tile? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Another alternative I was thinking of is cork. Not sure if that's any warmer on the toes than wood though.

pbft 11-03-2013 02:44 AM

I've been considering carpet tiles for my basement space. Friends of mine used them when they finished off part of their basement - they worked out great and were inexpensive, too. It's a nice way to add a little cushion and warmth underfoot. We have a building supply surplus store near us that has a variety of carpet squares in stock regularly, which makes it even easier on the budget and leaves more $ for crafting! I've also seen them from time to time at Habitat ReStore (new, not used!).

lindylou1220 11-03-2013 04:26 AM

We began using them at work and they really helped with the wear issue. You won't get foot wear like a major workspace, but they'll really help in those spill spots.

Just make sure you buy enough of the original lot so that you have the spares you need.

Oddesigns 11-03-2013 04:42 AM

I have them in just about every room in my house. I use them as area rugs. I got them after we pulled up all of the carpeting and had the wood floors refinished.

The only regular rug I have is the one my ancient cat decided to pee on, shortly before he passed away. Why oh why couldn't he have picked one of my Flor tile rugs?

Harley Queen 11-03-2013 02:12 PM

I've been looking at some great ideas on Pinterest. There are some fun designs. I may just go for a checkboard pattern alternating the orientation of the same tile. But it could be fun to do some stripes in different colors.

gregzgurl 11-05-2013 06:17 AM

I have hardwood floors in my whole house, including my craft/workroom. I was considering moving to the basement (which my husband finished last winter, bless him!) to have more "spread out" room, and thought that, even though there are laminate floors in there already, I would get those interlocking rubber mats so I would have an easy-to-clean, anti-fatigue surface to stand on. I stand A LOT - cutting fabric, stamping, tearing apart old upholstered pieces to make way for new - and I have really bad varicose veins (thanks, kids), so my legs and feet get really tired. They wouldn't be as pretty as carpet, but maybe a more practical alternative...?

gregzgurl 11-05-2013 06:19 AM

Forgot to mention that it would be good for insulation, as well. Cork also has some insulating properties, but probably no more so than carpet...

TampaBayStamper 12-25-2013 06:01 PM

We have Flor tiles throughout the house. We bought them to create paths on our tile floors for our aging dogs. The Flor tiles worked great because we could clean them easily after the dogs messed on them. Our dogs passed away, and we rearranged the tiles for other uses. They are sturdy and best of all, they didn't retain doggy odors.