Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 801 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Great hanging storage idea

I saw this on Pinterest and wow! I can't believe I never thought of this. I mean I use pants hangers on an over-the-door towel rack. I turned the clips down and hang large sheets of decorative paper from it.

I am SO going to do this... not for 12 by 12 paper, but for other things. I have closet space.

Hanging storage idea
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this idea also works well for paper scraps, by color theme. I was not aware of the
2 gallon bags; and had been using some other container, but use these clips also,
for sorting paper scraps. Now, I use the scraps whenever I can

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I will check my dollar tree for the 2gal bags - can't hang them but maybe sort into them and put in a basket? thanks for sharing. g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #4  

I'm sure I bought the 2 gallon bags in Kroger when I used to pack the kids for camp.

I currently have regular sized zip bags in a box. They hold left over stamping bits, and collected embellishments that go with my stamping themes - Celtic, floral, ocean, Oriental etc. I was thinking either this hanging method OR another hanging folder box would be better alternatives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I bought my 2 gallon bags at WalMart. I found them with all the other zip-lock bags.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Close to My Heart sells zip bags for their 12" x 12" paper packs, etc. Item # Z329, $6.95 for 12 bags. (No, I'm not a consultant and no, I don't know one, but their website has a "find a consultant" link) I think I'll go look for 2 gallon bags and cost-compare...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't know about other parts of the country, but I've been able to find the 2 gallon bags at my local Dollar Tree stores regularly. Sometimes they are out, but it seems like it's a regularly stocked item that keeps coming back in. I've been using them for my DSP packs so all the same type of paper stays together. I've been keeping them standing in a very sturdy shopping bag but am on the lookout for just the perfect sized basket

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Close to My Heart sells zip bags for their 12" x 12" paper packs, etc. Item # Z329, $6.95 for 12 bags. (No, I'm not a consultant and no, I don't know one, but their website has a "find a consultant" link) I think I'll go look for 2 gallon bags and cost-compare...
And there are 6 in the pack at the Dollar Tree. They are pretty sturdy, but I'd imagine CTMH's are more sturdy since they were made for paper, not snacks

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #9  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

I think I pay 3.50 for 12 Hefty zip ones at target. They are 2.5 gallon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
I think I pay 3.50 for 12 Hefty zip ones at target. They are 2.5 gallon
I'm thinking I'll be cruising Target for these! Thanks for the heads-up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw some extra large zip bags at my local super Walmart. I didn't check the price or size.
I also saw some 13"x13" zip style bags on eBay. I think they were $18 for 100 with free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #12  

Okay, I went to Walmart and got pant hangers and 2 gallon zippy bags. Now I'm using the wasted space in the closet. I have Christmas decorations in my studio closet too, so I have art/craft stuff stored on top of those boxes too lol. Wanna see?

The boxes in the second picture are all empty now That freed up space on the shelves, so I could get the books, binders and catalogs off the floor. Now, there is just one box under the printer and it holds all my jewelry making supplies.

Great hanging storage idea-hangingcloset.jpg

Great hanging storage idea-boxes.jpg

Great hanging storage idea-onebox.jpg

Great hanging storage idea-reorgshelves.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I also use these hangers for storing my vinyl sheets. I have the ones that cascade down. They work great -- especially for those 12 x 24 sheets of vinyl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I am inspired! Thank you! I had a few scraps in a few bags but it's time to get serious! I would love to hang them and have a place but I'm afraid I will be too lazy to unclip them to use them. ??? Maybe a tote or basket is a better idea for me. But dang, I have a closet in the stamp room to hang them. What to do!? And HOW MANY pant hangers have I thrown out? Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaufeestamperView Post
I am inspired! Thank you! I had a few scraps in a few bags but it's time to get serious! I would love to hang them and have a place but I'm afraid I will be too lazy to unclip them to use them. ??? Maybe a tote or basket is a better idea for me. But dang, I have a closet in the stamp room to hang them. What to do!? And HOW MANY pant hangers have I thrown out? Sheesh!
would one of those hanging shoe holders be a better option for you? OR, I also have this thing that hangs up - it has shelves in it. It is made of vinyl covered heavy cardboard. There are pics of it on my blog. I've had it for a long time... must have gotten it at Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I got the 1 gallon bags with red zipper at Dollar Tree, 10 for $1. I'm gonna start sorting cardstock scraps and see where the organizing leads me! Now off to see Magnolia's suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I think I got my hanging cardstock baggies figured out. I will have to see if I still like it tomorrow and if so, will post a pic. Thanks, Magnolia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #18  

Quote:

I think I got my hanging cardstock baggies figured out. I will have to see if I still like it tomorrow and if so, will post a pic. Thanks, Magnolia!
That's a great buy on the zippy bags. Here I thought I did well at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I just got 1 gallon so that's prbly why they were a better deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Default My Version of Closet Clips

It took me a lot of the day to get my scraps into these baggies. I bought four boxes of baggies at Dollar Tree for $4. 10 bags per box was 40 bags.

After I got the scraps put into the bags by SU colors, I wasn't quite sure what to do next. I tried a basket but all the colors pooled at the bottom of the basket and that was no good. I tried a clear bucket and still no good. I didn't want to purchase pant hangers. Plus, I have my vacuum cleaners in this closet so if I used pant hangers, I would have to find a new place for the vacuums.

About midnight, when I get my best ideas, I tried clothes pins direct to the shelving unit. It worked beautifully and allows me to keep my vacuums in the closet b/c the bags are hanging the right way for me. Although, clothespins will only fit on these closet units and not on a traditional clothes pole that are sometimes in closets.

The bags overlap but that's ok. I have them grouped in the closet into 3 families. Bolds, Regals, and Subtles. I clip them at the corner, with the baggie open. I already had to drop colors in today and it worked great to have them open ready for the "drop". Because they overlap, I am going to label the bag corners AND the clothespins with each color. But I'm giving it a few days to make sure I really like this system before I mark all my clothespins.

I had the clothespins on hand so the project cost $4. Woohoo!

The only thing I wonder about is I have to get up (gasp) from my work spot to get to the papers. That's why I tried a basket or container first. But the convenience of seeing the papers outweighed having to get my hiney out of the chair...for now.

Oh, I didn't have room in the closet for two families. So I chose to keep the ones I use the most, NEUTRALS and IN COLORS, in $1 plastic see-through shoe boxes. I have one box for each family and have those in the armoire near where I sit. So I can grab for those scraps without having to get up! ;)

I think a family per plastic bucket works good too if you have a flat surface to line them up. The shallowness of the bucket helps you see colors as you flip through. And sorting a family at a time helps minimize the "mess". I also plan to label each bag up top with a Sharpie for quick reference.

Thank you Magnolia for inspiring us! I thought I was nearly done with the stamp room revamp until you reminded me how horrible of condition my cardstock was in!
Attached Thumbnails
Great hanging storage idea-closet-clippies.jpg   Great hanging storage idea-neutrals-incolors.jpg  

Last edited by kaufeestamper; 03-17-2012 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #21  

Your idea is brilliant Kaufee!!!
I think the colors hanging there like that is very pretty too giggles!

Quote:

It took me a lot of the day to get my scraps into these baggies. I bought four boxes of baggies at Dollar Tree for $4. 10 bags per box was 40 bags.

After I got the scraps put into the bags by SU colors, I wasn't quite sure what to do next. I tried a basket but all the colors pooled at the bottom of the basket and that was no good. I tried a clear bucket and still no good. I didn't want to purchase pant hangers. Plus, I have my vacuum cleaners in this closet so if I used pant hangers, I would have to find a new place for the vacuums.

About midnight, when I get my best ideas, I tried clothes pins direct to the shelving unit. It worked beautifully and allows me to keep my vacuums in the closet b/c the bags are hanging the right way for me. Although, clothespins will only fit on these closet units and not on a traditional clothes pole that are sometimes in closets.

The bags overlap but that's ok. I have them grouped in the closet into 3 families. Bolds, Regals, and Subtles. I clip them at the corner, with the baggie open. I already had to drop colors in today and it worked great to have them open ready for the "drop". Because they overlap, I am going to label the bag corners AND the clothespins with each color. But I'm giving it a few days to make sure I really like this system before I mark all my clothespins.

I had the clothespins on hand so the project cost $4. Woohoo!

The only thing I wonder about is I have to get up (gasp) from my work spot to get to the papers. That's why I tried a basket or container first. But the convenience of seeing the papers outweighed having to get my hiney out of the chair...for now.

Oh, I didn't have room in the closet for two families. So I chose to keep the ones I use the most, NEUTRALS and IN COLORS, in $1 plastic see-through shoe boxes. I have one box for each family and have those in the armoire near where I sit. So I can grab for those scraps without having to get up! ;)

I think a family per plastic bucket works good too if you have a flat surface to line them up. The shallowness of the bucket helps you see colors as you flip through. And sorting a family at a time helps minimize the "mess". I also plan to label each bag up top with a Sharpie for quick reference.

Thank you Magnolia for inspiring us! I thought I was nearly done with the stamp room revamp until you reminded me how horrible of condition my cardstock was in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I just did this today. I was blessed with tons of specialty paper, so I cut it down to 12x12 and bagged it. Sorted it by color, except that I put the moire paper in one bag and the velvet in another. Best thing I could have done.
Reply With Quote Likes