Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who is storing unmounted stamps in SU clamshell boxes?

I'm considering unmounting my SU wood mounted stamps. I don't want to spend any additional money on boxes, especially since I already have these nice SU clamshell boxes that the stamps came in and fit nicely on my shelf.

I've searched the forums and didn't find any info, so I was wondering if anybody is using these boxes to store their unnmounted sets in? If so, how many sets can you fit in a box and how are you doing it? I was thinking that if one set goes in the cover, one in the bottom, and I put one on a sheet of acetate, that I could fit 3 sets per box.

If you know of any photos with unmounteds stored in the clamshell boxes, I would love to see them.

Thanks so much!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an interesting idea...never thought of reusing the clamshells like that. I put my unmounted stamps in dvd cases and am using my clamshells for storage of various things.....ribbon scraps, embellishments on sticky sheets, and images. They work great for markers too....at least until I can come up with a better storage solution. Keep us updated on how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I figured that I can get mu collection to take up at least half as much space, or even a third. I would still have the extra empty cases to use for other stuff.

I guess I'm wondering why everyone is spending so much money on buying DVD cases when they already have the SU clamshell cases. I figure I must be missing something or there is some hinderance in the clamshell cases.

I'm really interested in learning more before I start doing all of this work of unmounting. I have one of those perfectionist kind of personalities. I have to research something a lot to decide if it will be good enough, and usually that causes me to procrastinate!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I guess if you were to store in clamshells, I would choose the big ones to use. the thing that bothered me about them was that they were all different sizes.....which was a pain to try to store....hence why I went to dvd cases. I was able to put voila and voila to go in one case. I bought two packs of 4 at a friend's SU workshop. I like them so much that when it was my turn to host a workshop, I bought 11 packs with my free credit. I still have to buy a couple of packs....which I'll do at a friend's workshop in July.

It's all a matter of preference. I know a lot of people store in cd cases....and Gina K has some great storage cases as well. I'll be buying some of those when I have some extra money for my Gina K stamps and my CHF stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbaranne_stampsView Post
I figured that I can get mu collection to take up at least half as much space, or even a third. I would still have the extra empty cases to use for other stuff.

I guess I'm wondering why everyone is spending so much money on buying DVD cases when they already have the SU clamshell cases. I figure I must be missing something or there is some hinderance in the clamshell cases.

I'm really interested in learning more before I start doing all of this work of unmounting. I have one of those perfectionist kind of personalities. I have to research something a lot to decide if it will be good enough, and usually that causes me to procrastinate!

Thanks everyone!
I'm gonna butt in here! LOL I have SEVERAL of the (not a SU term I'm sure) medium-ish sized clam shells that if you WANT them I can send them to you, I dont like to throw things away that someone might need... I will just mail them to you if you wanna PM me your addy if you want them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
I'm gonna butt in here! LOL I have SEVERAL of the (not a SU term I'm sure) medium-ish sized clam shells that if you WANT them I can send them to you, I dont like to throw things away that someone might need... I will just mail them to you if you wanna PM me your addy if you want them!!!
Oh, that's very sweet! Maybe there is someone else that will be able to use them. If I decide to go with this new method, I will have about 75 empty boxes myself!! I read on another thread that people are selling those on ebay, as well as the wood blocks.

I know what you mean about saving things for other people. It has gotten me into a lot of trouble here. My house is a disaster saving stuff for other people. I'm finally cleaning out and things are looking so much better and it's easier to do things!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #7  

Quote:

Oh, that's very sweet! Maybe there is someone else that will be able to use them. If I decide to go with this new method, I will have about 75 empty boxes myself!! I read on another thread that people are selling those on ebay, as well as the wood blocks.

I know what you mean about saving things for other people. It has gotten me into a lot of trouble here. My house is a disaster saving stuff for other people. I'm finally cleaning out and things are looking so much better and it's easier to do things!!
LOL!! OK, I'm glad you have enough, perhaps I will just post them selling stuff is a PITButt!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxy64View Post
I guess if you were to store in clamshells, I would choose the big ones to use. the thing that bothered me about them was that they were all different sizes.....which was a pain to try to store....hence why I went to dvd cases.
Oh, O.K. I've been away from stamping for quite some time now, and when I came back here to SCS and started reading all the unmounting threads, I had no clue why everyone was going to the DVD cases.

Here is a picture of the shelf I am using. I posted that pic a long time ago and now the shelves are completely full with stamps; I cannot believe how much my collection has grown! It's an adjustable DVD shelf, so I adjusted the shelves to accommodate the different sized cases..

DVD shelf to store stamps by barbaranne_stamps at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Yes, it is a pain! I had a ton of stuff to sell on ebay and the pile just kept getting bigger. I finally just donated everything and made my life easier. Oh, that reminds me. I also read on another thread that someone said she donated her clamshell boxes to an art school or something. I wonder if a children's hospital would like them for the kids craft supplies or something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #10  

Here is an OLDER craft room remodel... it's changed SOMEwhat since then but the stackable drawers (LOVE them) hold my singles and my SU sets I kept...

SORRY!!!!!

Use THIS link!!!!! http://mommachull.blogspot.com/2009/...n-drawers.html

Here are my CD Cases http://mommachull.blogspot.com/2009/...e-too-new

Last edited by KelliJo; 05-29-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Default Careful with Acetate

Hi Barbaranne!

One thing I would be careful of is using acetate. If you are unmounting and using something like EZMount, the acetate can permanently adhere to the EZMount. If you're going with Aileen's Tack It Over and Over, you're probably okay.

And if you don't want to use acetate, how about cutting the lids from the next smaller size clamshell to use as your "layer". It will hold the stamps AND you won't have to buy acetate! :p

Just thoughts - good luck with your project.

P.S. I decided to go the CD case route when I unmounted. I use the Sunday International stamp storage panels and their EZMount, then I store all the CD cases in these Itso bins from Target:

itso storage by Tenakee at Splitcoaststampers

Quote:

I'm considering unmounting my SU wood mounted stamps. I don't want to spend any additional money on boxes, especially since I already have these nice SU clamshell boxes that the stamps came in and fit nicely on my shelf.

I've searched the forums and didn't find any info, so I was wondering if anybody is using these boxes to store their unnmounted sets in? If so, how many sets can you fit in a box and how are you doing it? I was thinking that if one set goes in the cover, one in the bottom, and I put one on a sheet of acetate, that I could fit 3 sets per box.

If you know of any photos with unmounteds stored in the clamshell boxes, I would love to see them.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may sound weird but Ive found the easiest way to store my um stamps is in a 2 ring binder!!! I found plastic sleaves that clip shut, I places all stamps onto a page of acatate then filed into the plastic sleeve! And in the front of the sleeve is a page with all the stamps that are in that sleeve stamped on it! So worth the effort hey! Oh I also used tabs to write the name of the stamp set on the edge of each sleeve so I can find them easily!

Also doing this means moving about with them is simple!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I'm going off of my *faulty* memory... I've read somewhere awhile back that someone has used the COVER of the clamshells. They separated it from the box itself and used the cover to adhere their stamps on both sides. The tabs made it handy as it reminded me of file folders and they were stored upright in a basket/box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by good_day1214View Post
I'm going off of my *faulty* memory... I've read somewhere awhile back that someone has used the COVER of the clamshells. They separated it from the box itself and used the cover to adhere their stamps on both sides. The tabs made it handy as it reminded me of file folders and they were stored upright in a basket/box.
I have read that too and thought it was ingenious, I believe the stored them in the photo boxes andflipped through them!!! GREAT idea!!!! I was already WELL into my CD collection by then! of course my DH would have loved the idea as I bought those slim cases and realised that SO didn't work and took all of our CD's out of the cases and stuck them in the jewel cases now he can't find a music cd as the title paper thingy is gone! I have all the Cases NOW!!! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the uniform size and quality of their DVD cases and I was able to fit 3 sets that I unmounted into one. I use 2 of the clam shell boxes for cut up sponges, I've recycled some and keeping a few of the smaller ones for whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Where are you buying your cd cases from? I am just starting to try to organize my stamps in some sane manner instead of the bags they are in now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
LOL!! OK, I'm glad you have enough, perhaps I will just post them selling stuff is a PITButt!!!! LOL
I took mine to work & people snapped them up for small toy pieces for kids, crayon boxes, schools & Sunday school. Maybe you can give them away or donate them for those purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Default clamshell SU Cases

Hello,
I had the same problem... I didn't want to go through the expense of the new cases (and I didn't find that they were much smaller for storage).
So I decided to cut my cases down.... here's how I did it.

Converting Clamshell Cases into Slim Unmounted Storage Cases

Step 1: Select an original Clamshell case from SU (of any size) to converter into a much slimmer case for storing unmounted stamps.

Step 2: Cut lid off of bottom. Be sure that the cut is in the grove closest to the lid piece. (as a side note� I round the corners and cut off the excess plastic and tab along the other edge of the lid at this time as well. But it doesn�t matter if you do that or not.)

Step 3: Now working on the bottom piece, I cut the along three sides about 7mm (1/4") from the bottom and the forth side I cut about 1.5 cm (3/4") from the bottom so now it's all cut out.
I chose to leave the long side as my hinge (1.5cm height) but I am sure it would work along the shorter edge as well�I think that would be up to you.

Step 4: I bend the taller side down to make a hinge. I bend it a few times in each direction� this makes it easier to open and close the lid once it�s attached to the bottom.

Step 5: The folded part is where I add the red sticky tape ( I have found that this is the only stuff strong enough to use).

Step 7: The bottom piece is now a little smaller all the way around so it attaches inside easily... I make sure to push the bottom part of the box all the way to the one corner so that the little lip that is on the lid catches it and it works (on most of the boxes I've made) to keep it closed. Remove tape backing, after dry fitting it first, and attach to the lid. I press or burnish this seal, just to make sure it sticks.

Step 8: The completed case allows me to use the lid portion as a smooth base for the newly unmounted stamps and the bottom portion is where I attach the index card of the stamp set included.

And that concludes my lesson for the day�
I've tried to attach a few photo's to show how to finish project.

HTH
Amanda Horne
Attached Files
File Type: doc clamshell cases.doc (2.88 MB, 120 views)
Reply With Quote Likes