Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrapbooking obits/funeral

My brother-in-law wants me to make a scrapbook of his dad's obituaries and pictures from the funeral. Does anyone have any layout ideas? I've been putting off doing this, but have to get going on it. Thanks for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I've been "collecting/saving" the obits etc. from all of my grandparents/aunts, uncles with the thoughts of it being a small geneaology study/family tree type scrapbook. I know it almost sounds morbid, but many obits tell such a story of the life of the deceased. My thoughts were to include any photos I have (typically a few from family reunions, etc) the obit and possibly a journaling to detail the relationship. My children haven't had the experience of having that large of a family and don't fully realize their roots.....I'll be anxious to see what you come up with......maybe it will be me motivated
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have any solid ideas but have also saved many obits of deceased family members to "someday" make a heritage/memorial album.

I just have begun to scrapbook (one 2-page layout is all I've completed - unrelated to this subject area) so that, and the bittersweet memories such a project brings keeps me in procrastination made.

I do think that when I do it I woudl try to incorparate images related to each person's occupation(s) and hobbies so perhaps that might help you with a layout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I saw this layout in the gallery a few weeks back and immediately thought of it when I read your post. I think colors similar to a Golden or Silver Anniversary theme would do nice for an obits.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=27067
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

My neighbour/best friend's husband passed away Feb 27, & they have a 3 year old & an 8 year old. We made scrapbooks for each of the kids, the first page is one of the handouts from the funeral that the kids can take out & look at whenever they need to, the second page has his obit. We just cut it out of the paper, & put it on a pretty piece of patterened paper. The rest of the books are pics of each of the kids with their dad. Good luck with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have any suggestions for scrapping an obit/funeral announcement, but I'd recommend you spray the announcement with something like "Make It Acid Free" by Krylon before you put it in a scrapbook, especially if you place it in contact with photographs. The lignins in the newspaper will eventually break down and the process will ruin any pictures that are touching it, along with the paper the announcement is printed on itself. This breakdown is what makes older newspaper articles turn yellow and brittle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

If you can't get any Krylon to spray to make it acid free, another way is to laminate the newspaper cutouts. Of course, this has a completely different look to what you might want, but it might also allow that particualr peice to be removed for reading without the risk of it being damaged. Especially if littlies are looking at the album...they may benefit from being able to touch the things......

just an idea....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinesmom2004View Post
I don't have any suggestions for scrapping an obit/funeral announcement, but I'd recommend you spray the announcement with something like "Make It Acid Free" by Krylon before you put it in a scrapbook, especially if you place it in contact with photographs. The lignins in the newspaper will eventually break down and the process will ruin any pictures that are touching it, along with the paper the announcement is printed on itself. This breakdown is what makes older newspaper articles turn yellow and brittle.
Where can you get that "Make It Acid Free"? I have some obits and other "stuff" that I would like to include on pages. I have looked for something but never actually found it anywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassierView Post
Where can you get that "Make It Acid Free"? I have some obits and other "stuff" that I would like to include on pages. I have looked for something but never actually found it anywhere.
You can find it at most scrapbook stores, but I bought mine at Walmart--it was much cheaper. At my local Walmart, it's in the spray paint section. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinesmom2004View Post
You can find it at most scrapbook stores, but I bought mine at Walmart--it was much cheaper. At my local Walmart, it's in the spray paint section. Good luck!
That is great, thanks! Oh, by the way, I noticed in your location you say you are a recent East Tennessee transplant. Where in East TN? I am in Middle Tennessee.

Last edited by Sassier; 07-31-2009 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: puncuation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassierView Post
That is great, thanks! Oh, by the way, I noticed in your location you say you are a recent East Tennessee transplant. Where in East TN? I am in Middle Tennessee.
I'm in the Tri-Cities area, closer to NC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I dont know the circumstances of your brother-in-laws fathers death, but I dont think I would make an album just using pictures from the funural. Surprise him with some pages that commemorate his dads life, not only his death. What about making tha pages in the favourit colors of the person ? That way it will have more of a personal feel to it and maybe make the memories come more alive (bad choise of words...). I think I would keep the layouts quite simple, there is some great free sketches over at Scrapbook Etc.

My strongest memorie from when my Grandpa died about 8 years ago is when we (all his grandchildren), was sitting in the sofa trying to write something to read up in church at his funural. He was a fisherman and a farmer, and sometimes he did not use the nicest language. We kept remembering stories that we told eachother, ending them with: "... but we cant say thet in a church..." We were laughing so hard that our parents came in to see what was happening. Even though it was so sad, the memories we had of our times together could not keep the smiles of our faces. I know that if I decide to make an album about my Grandpa those stories would be the first ones I would scrap...

I dont know if my blabbering is of any help, I just wanted to share my thoughts

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

These are the hardest to scrap. Even if they are only for your own use, I personally think it helps with the grieving.

When my sister died a year and a half ago, my DH had enough bumption to take pictures of her casket and the flowers. I had a few pictures of me standing with my coat on in the chapel, I looked angry. I was angry. Why did this happen.

When I sat down to crop and lay out the two page 12 X 12" spread, I started simply. Her life ended on her 42nd birthday. Probally at her own hand. I focused on Thanking God that she had ever been part of my life and guidance for what would come for the rest of us, especially her precious daughter, Melissa.

I laid out the pictures with symatry. I used a soft butterfly and flower paper as my base then layered on top purples, her favorite color.

I also suggest if you have other pictures to scrap those of the life then end with the benediction of the funeral. Best to you, May your pain be brief and the joy the life shared always be yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I copy newpaper clipping to get rid of the acid lignin issue. You can even put them on the scanner at a store like Walgreens and print it that way. If you choose to print it yourself -- use acid free -- lignin free paper. Hope this helps

My advice for doing these pages and I've gone several is add stories of her life and pics of her living life. Celebrate her life--
Reply With Quote Likes