Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #881  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 657 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsForums at Splitcoaststampers
I know but Master Track sheet say 36 numbers not 40...hotwheels
Linda,
Now you know Lydia, she always has some surprises up her sleeves!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #882  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

I am doing to get mom 36 cards Lol I think she getting burn out... But not me. I don't need not no loops thorw at me lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Linda,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #883  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 312 Likes on 143 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Linda,

ALWAYS

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #884  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I should only post comments after my lunchtime exercise walk in the park...I am sooo lucky to live where the wheather is good, there are several parks near by, and it is safe to walk. I was just at my favorite park with the lake, the majestic but evil Canadian geese, the silly and odd looking coots, and the sweet little ducks. I keep reminding myself that I am lucky to have a job, and I well just have to manage the added stress from the new "million dollar practice" dentist. Sorry that I am not comnenting as much as I would like to on all the gorgeous cards you all have been posting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #885  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 326 Likes on 144 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsForums at Splitcoaststampers
I am doing to get mom 36 cards Lol I think she getting burn out... But not me. I don't need not no loops thorw at me lol
Just take each day as it comes - you'll be fine! There are some fun fun fun challenges coming!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:16 AM   #886  
Gallery Gazer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by f.schlesForums at Splitcoaststampers
Well, sometimes life throws you a curve ball. I was sure I would be able to do all the HYCCT cards...I want to be a queen. Well, maybe next year. After being a dental hygenist for 30 years, I was hoping yo retire EVENTUALLY. Once DH lost his job, that seemed less likely. I have been at my small office (older dentist, wife does the assisting, and me). He announced yeasterday that he sold tge practice and the hew guy takes over next week. The new guy will keep me, but he wants to build it into a million dollar practice etc. This is way too much stress for me, but at 57, I am too old to get hired somewhere else. Oh well,at least I have a job.
I feel your pain! I've been trying FOR A SOLID YEAR to find a job since we moved across the country last fall, but I had my own business for most of two decades and I'm 59 years old, so I am apparently unemployable. Two employment agencies, the HR person at two other businesses, and the counselor at the state employment service all verified that I have a tough situation. "Recent relevant experience" is the catch-phrase that operates here...

It's been much the same for my husband. He's had a few contract jobs, but it's pretty dicey. He's a mason (does things that are becoming lost arts, even, like dry-laid stone walls), and also does general construction, but that industry took a HUGE hit in 2008 and apparently hasn't rebounded quite yet...

I have an interview for a state job on November 3rd, and he just got a call to come back to work for one of the contracted jobs (he actually even liked that one), so things are looking up. We've moved 32 times in 23 years and NEVER experienced anything like this, so it's been kind of a shocking/deflating experience...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #887  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Hope

Oh Sue, I hope those opportunities work out. Isn't is strange that at our age (I am 57) instead of valluing the experience and dependability we offer, we are consideted too old. My prayers are with you and your husband.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #888  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramommaForums at Splitcoaststampers
I'm 9 over 0 at this point...not sure life will allow me time in the stamp room until after Tuesday...but...when it happens the plan is to MAKE CARDS!!!!!

Need to make several thank you cards for my personal use...thankfully I purchased store bought ones for my daughter to use for bridal shower and wedding gift thank-yous...Couldn't pass up the clearance ones at Wally---50 for $4 and it included envelopes...good enough though she wanted me to make them...She needs about 200...uhm...I spent the cash and saved my stash!!!!
WOW, 200. I don't blame you at all. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #889  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlForums at Splitcoaststampers
I feel your pain! I've been trying FOR A SOLID YEAR to find a job since we moved across the country last fall, but I had my own business for most of two decades and I'm 59 years old, so I am apparently unemployable. Two employment agencies, the HR person at two other businesses, and the counselor at the state employment service all verified that I have a tough situation. "Recent relevant experience" is the catch-phrase that operates here...

It's been much the same for my husband. He's had a few contract jobs, but it's pretty dicey. He's a mason (does things that are becoming lost arts, even, like dry-laid stone walls), and also does general construction, but that industry took a HUGE hit in 2008 and apparently hasn't rebounded quite yet...

I have an interview for a state job on November 3rd, and he just got a call to come back to work for one of the contracted jobs (he actually even liked that one), so things are looking up. We've moved 32 times in 23 years and NEVER experienced anything like this, so it's been kind of a shocking/deflating experience...

Oh Sue, I will keep you in my prayers. I am in the same boat. I have been working since 11 quit when I had my daughter in 2001 to raise her and currently homeschool her she is now 14 and in 9th grade. We have been paycheck to paycheck since then. Dh works in automotive and only gets paid for what he does and if the work is not there he doesn't get paid. Once my dd graduates high school I will have to go back to work. I will be 54 when this happens and I know I will have a hard time finding work. We have no retirement whatsoever and it worries me but I try to give it all to the Lord and trust in him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #890  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm trying to catch up on comments since I can't work on cards this weekend. I have the grand twins and it is almost impossible to do anything. I absolutely love when they are here and have such a wonderful time with them.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend and getting crafty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #891  
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 164 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I want to thank all of our HYCCT Challenge hostesses for the time, energy and thoughtfulness that you've put into this event. You're doing a great service for a wonderful cause, but you're also doing so much more for the members of this site.

Your challenges encourage me to try new techniques, to experiment with color and to think about how I'll accomplish something when I don't have the perfect stamp or die.

I never ever draw. But I had to take pencil to paper to make a sink, pans and a bottle of dish soap for one of the challenges. It was fun, fun, fun!

My experience with watercoloring have all been less than impressive, until I was forced (well, not arm behind my back forced, but you get the idea) to try an ombre technique that gave me an unbelievable sunset and the wrinkle free distress technique to create a background with a personality all its own.

I never would have tried "painting" a scene with my Copic markers. At least not until I was challenged to use a masterpiece as an inspiration. My perspective was off, especially with my streetlamps--but at least I see where I went wrong and maybe I'll get it right the next time.

Without a doubt I have learned things that will influence my future paper crafts. And for that I thank you!

Hugs,

Yes!! Amen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #892  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Quote:

"Recent relevant experience" is the catch-phrase that operates here...
Yes, "Recent relevant experience" and "bilingual required" are the two things holding me back. I also think my age (late 50s) has something to do with it, too.

Did you know that a few years back Clark County Nevada and my area, the Inland Empire, California (San Bernardino and Riverside Counties) kept vying for the no. 1 spot for the highest unemployment rates in the U.S? Rates are down, but I think that's because a lot of people fell off the unemployment rolls, not because we got jobs.

I worked in the journalism industry, which took a nosedive between 2008 and 2010, and never recovered. When unemployment ran out, I lived off my severance package and savings. I finally gave up on applying for only full-time positions and was picked up part time by a big retail chain. I lost that job earlier this year after a non-work injury and two surgeries kept me bed/wheelchair bound for almost five months. I'm back to square one, except I can't walk or stand long enough to work a four-hour shift on my feet. So, I guess that means I'm at square zero.

Funny ... I remember the days when I'd take my paper application in, get interviewed the same day and start the next. What happened to those days?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #893  

Quote:

I feel your pain - there's nothing more dehumanizing than that whole process - especially since most of the responses you get are just silence. If I can help connect you with anyone, let me know!

I was in construction for 20 years and was laid of in 2008 - nothing in our economy is what it was prior to that for sure. Keep your hopes up.

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #894  

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59Forums at Splitcoaststampers
but I think that's because a lot of people fell off the unemployment rolls, not because we got jobs.
Funny ... I remember the days when I'd take my paper application in, get interviewed the same day and start the next. What happened to those days?
Yes, yes and yes.

Maybe those days will come back

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #895  
Glitter Guru

After DD graduated from college she and my SIL stayed in the area for their wedding just a few months after that. They were wanting to move to Philly to work in an urban ministry, but it was one where they were basically just moving to the area to participate in the church while working on their own in regular jobs. DD would come over on Mondays to do laundry and I watched her for four hours straight each week filling out application after application. It took them months to find work and they were young college graduates. It most definitely isn't the world we used to live in! DS is still searching.
So sorry you guys are struggling with employment situations. It is very trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #896  
Gallery Gazer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it interesting that we keep hearing how the economy is rebounding, when EVERYONE I know is struggling now more than ever! Anyone in the 50+ age bracket is especially hard-hit, it seems. We're disposable, at best, and non-existent, at worst. I agree that the unemployment numbers aren't down as far as how many are still out of work - just down as far as how many are on unemployment. Once you hit the max, you're done - job or no job. The frustrating thing is how anonymous the whole application process is. You have to apply online, there's no contact information to follow up on it, so you have to wait....and wait....for the phone call/email that never comes. I'm pretty stoked about the interview, if for no other reason than that it will allow me to plead my case to a person face-to-face!

Where in the Inland Empire are you, Melissa? I grew up in Corona, and lived there again in 1983-1993 (with a brief detour in New York in 1991, where I met my husband). One of my brothers still lives there.

On the HYCCT topic: I'm sooo grateful for this cause, the amazing hostesses/challenges/participants, and the kick in the mojo this has been for me! I'm still behind, but I don't even care - I'm enjoying what I do (when I can) so much! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #897  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Quote:

Where in the Inland Empire are you, Melissa? I grew up in Corona, and lived there again in 1983-1993 (with a brief detour in New York in 1991, where I met my husband). One of my brothers still lives there.
Corona High School, class of 1977!
I lived in Corona from the summer of '68 until Feb. '82, when I moved into my home here in Moreno Valley, where I've been for 33 years.

Edited to add:
It is a very small world! I once stood in a line in Washington D.C. for entry into the Capitol building, and in front of us where people who lived one street over.
I'd say there is a good chance that one of our HYCCT cards will make it to someone who crossed paths with at least one of our SCS members.

Last edited by melissa59; 10-24-2015 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #898  
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Exactly! My daughter has a college degree and cannot get a job. She can't find a job in her industry of graphic arts because of no job experience....she can't get a fast food, grocery story type job because she's "overqualified". Meanwhile the bank of Mom and Dad is depleting! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #899  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvLeeForums at Splitcoaststampers
Meanwhile the bank of Mom and Dad is depleting! lol
BOM&D...that's great...

As we are downsizing I can't get rid of stuff fast enough it seems and I look forward to when dusting is a quick and easy task and no longer a JOB!

I made a card today...not for HYCCT but because I need one for Tuesday...

Plan for this evening...Play KETCHUP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 03:10 AM   #900  

Today's challenge is up and it's a sweet one!

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 03:21 AM   #901  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueForums at Splitcoaststampers
Today's challenge is up and it's a sweet one!
WHen I saw that you were posting so early I feared something had gone wrong in your day...

Off to have a look-n-see...I'm way behind but today is the start of the week where I plan to make, make and make cards for HYCCT...

9 above 0 is moving closer to 15 today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 AM   #902  
Hardware Hotshot

I've managed to get myself behind by 6. Can I catch up? Time will tell. I'm off work Thursday and Friday so there's a good chance. I'm going to have to hunt for a fairy image.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:41 AM   #903  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

BOM&D...that's great...

As we are downsizing I can't get rid of stuff fast enough it seems and I look forward to when dusting is a quick and easy task and no longer a JOB!

I made a card today...not for HYCCT but because I need one for Tuesday...

Plan for this evening...Play KETCHUP!
Ketchup? Cute play on words Faye!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #904  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomForums at Splitcoaststampers
I've managed to get myself behind by 6. Can I catch up? Time will tell. I'm off work Thursday and Friday so there's a good chance. I'm going to have to hunt for a fairy image.....
I added links on the challenge thread with free fairy coloring pages and the video instruction on drawing a fairy that I used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #905  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 225 Likes on 124 Posts

another thought was if you had a stamp with wings or angel wings you could maybe mask it to a person image?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #906  
Hardware Hotshot

Got three cards made this morning. I think this will be it for today....but I'm that much closer to being caught up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #907  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I just realized I can batch load photos to the gallery instead of just one by one I've been doing for years. I am one sad puppy ;/ I'm only 11 cards behind! 🤓
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #908  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 93 Likes on 37 Posts

Getting ready to mail the 30 cards I've completed for the HYCCT challenge and a few of the other challenges I just threw into the package. I will have the final 7 to mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #909  
Proud Fan Club Member

I got very sidetracked in the stamp room...had a great time but did not make one single card for HYCCT!

Must go down and work on that now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #910  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I am so excited to be all caught up. The challenges have been terrific.

Design Team for Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenges.
Design Team for The Project Bin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #911  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone else curious about tomorrow's "bonus"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #912  

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduckForums at Splitcoaststampers

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #913  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I I love that cat. Now I am curious like a cat....

Design Team for Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenges.
Design Team for The Project Bin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #914  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduckForums at Splitcoaststampers

Today's challenge isn't filled in on the master list yet but I see not only is there a bonus for tomorrow there appears to be a total of 4 challenges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #915  

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Quote:

Today's challenge isn't filled in on the master list yet but I see not only is there a bonus for tomorrow there appears to be a total of 4 challenges!
Whoa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #916  
Glitter Guru

We're over 2500 cards in the gallery today. WHOOT! You guys are awesome and the cards are so pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #917  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixForums at Splitcoaststampers
We're over 2500 cards in the gallery today. WHOOT! You guys are awesome and the cards are so pretty!

WAHOO!!!

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #918  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixForums at Splitcoaststampers
That is awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #919  
Rubber Obsessor

Phew, I have no idea how I got so behind this year but I'm just about caught up. I finished through yesterday's challenge tonight so tomorrow I have today's and tomorrow's cards to do. Then I have to start photographing, uploading, etc. I have really enjoyed the challenges this year, thank you hostesses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #920  
Glitter Guru

We'll look forward to seeing them in the gallery! Glad you got yourself caught up with the challenges. I think this has been a good mix of challenges this year for sure with fun techniques, brain-teasing word challenges, great themes, moving stories and behind it all the chance to make a difference in people's lives all while having fun doing what we love. It just doesn't get much better than that!
Reply With Quote Likes