Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #2921  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too on the crafting stuff, though I do have a box for the local store's garage sale. Maybe I'll put it out at my own! Or donate it to a children's shelter if it doesn't sell.

So, I got 3 BIG boxes of ornaments down to 1 1/2 small rubbermaid containers. I don't think I'd organized these in years! They were all out of their boxes, so taking up double space. I tossed all the boxes, gave the ex his half. I've got one bin as my fragile, irreplacable ornaments and the other as the kid-friendly one. Right now we're still in the kid-friendly tree. But, I love it!!!

We are going to have a carpet picnic and eat leftover pizza in front of the tree as we finish decorating! The STBX would have had a coronary!! This is going to be FUN!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #2922  
Pearl-ExPert

Sounds absolutely delightful Jen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #2923  
Stazon Splitcoast

So, do you all do real or fake?

I do a fake tree. First of all, it's how I was brought up. Second of all, we celebrate the birth of Jesus by cutting down and killing a tree? I know, I know. But, I just can't do it. I love the smell though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #2924  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to get something to eat and then I have a conference call at 5:30 for my mission stuff. I am doing a booth at their college conference at the end of the month and its all details and goals about that. Which is really good considering I had NO guidance last year at all.

Ta for now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #2925  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenguinView Post
So, do you all do real or fake?

I do a fake tree. First of all, it's how I was brought up. Second of all, we celebrate the birth of Jesus by cutting down and killing a tree? I know, I know. But, I just can't do it. I love the smell though.
Love the smell too, but fake here. Just want it up too long to have a real one without it pining all over the place. And no worries if you leave for a few days for the holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #2926  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffsbeeView Post
If I challenged myself to not buy a single thing for stamping or crafting until I actually ran out I bet I could make it a year - except maybe adhesive (that I could last a few months though I bet).
See, now if you had an ATG, you could go the whole year! <big, enabling grin> LOL

We do a fake tree--too many allergies. Used to be all the kids were sick all of December, so I talked my dh into trying a fake tree. He was VERY reluctant, but no one (including him) got sick. That was the end of real trees. We do have a lovely real wreath on the door, which gives us a bit of the real smell without all the dust and pollen in the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #2927  
Pearl-ExPert

That was an amazingly short conference call. I was ready for two hours and it was 30 minutes.

Updated my blog with one of the gift projects I am working on for my HOME Group. I do believe that Amy was luring me in for the Serif Alpha for the Big Shot with this project...and well not only did I get the alpha, I bought the pattern for the project from Patty too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #2928  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't know about that ATG...looks daunting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #2929  
Stampin' Fool

Lisa, you've got to have an ATG. Everyone at the scrapbooking retreat was teasing me about my gun. It was sort of fun as it was at a ranch and the 'gun' jokes were quite appropriate and funny. I buy the acid free rolls so I can scrapbook. I only used a roll for my two albums and two of my friends ran out of their adhesive and actually had to go and purchase more refills.

Fake tree for me. It is pre-strung with lights and twirls. Funny thing is that I let the kids decorate the back of the tree until the year we got this tree (a couple of years ago) and when I turned it on and the back of the tree would become the front, well now we don't have all those on the tree. I bought them each mini trees for their bedrooms that they can decorate anyway they want. They love their trees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #2930  
Pearl-ExPert

Hey all.. lets see if I can play catch up! lol...

Fake or real.. lol.. (sorry mind went else where! LOL) But we do fake here BUT the kids still get to have a real one at my MIL and they always get like a 7-8 feet tall tree and she puts all the decorations w/bells and whistles and all the lights and singing.. I feel like I've gone to a Christmas show! lol..

I usually try to get things done but I always end up doing it 2 weeks before Christmas I know I'm bad! lol.. we shall see this year.. cross your fingers

-Ellie

My Little Rambling World
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #2931  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

So easy. Really. Trust me. Have I ever led you astray? <wiggles eyebrows>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #2932  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my new ATG. Made Spencer's announcement a breeze. I use it all the time now.

We have a fake tree too. I am kind of a hoarder of those too. I have three. Love to get rid of one but I've had it out at two garage sales for next to nothing and it is still in my garage. I bought a prelit more realistic one a few years ago and I love how fast it went up this year. And since I am not putting two trees up at home this year, my extra good tree is at our church being used as an angel tree.

Jen- Sounds like you're getting a lot done cleaning out and getting ready if you have to move. It is a wonderful feeling to get rid of stuff. Just wish I could do more of that. Our friends are coming from Boise next weekend so I really have to get my basement reorganized. I still have halloween projects that aren't cleaned up down there.

Erin- How fun for all your kids to have their own tree. Maybe when my boys are older and I don't think they will destroy them.

I finally told my DH this afternoon about the computer. He wasn't mad but he might be when he finds out it was facebook. I've got all my pictures and files now on the external drive so I think he is just going to wipe it tomorrow afternoon when he gets home.

Better put my kiddos to bed. Spencer is asleep on the couch next to me. Night all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #2933  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

I think it took me all of 30 minutes to get used to it. Loading it the first couple times was a little tricky, but now I can practically do it with my eyes closed. LOVE. MY. ATG.

We haven't had a big tree in 6 or 7 years, but we do have a little 3' pre-lit artificial I got at WalMart half off a couple years ago that I put up last year on the entertainment center, out of cat-reach. That's not an issue this year, and I may put the 3' one up again just to have SOMETHING up other than my lit church collection which I need to find a new home for now that the entertainment center is gone.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #2934  
Crimping Master

Fake tree for me - like Amy, after years of always being sick in December! Duh! I've never had allergies, so it never dawned on my that I might be allergic to them! But since I bought a fake tree, I've never been sick. We went to our daughter's one year shortly before Christmas, and they had a real tree, and sure enough, I got sick!

Lisa, I really like the project you posted on your blog - and your beautiful Thanksgiving entry! Wow! Well said!

Thinking about an ATG gun. Someone said there is a "mini" one that you can buy from Our Daily Bread - haven't checked it out yet, but I think I will.

Jen, glad you've had such a happy day with your boys, putting up the Christmas tree!

Amy, good to hear from you! Hope you're getting better every day!

Back to my holiday planners . . . almost done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #2935  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I'm going to make a 7 layer dip and then a hot sausage dip for tonight. I'll use turkey sausage of course, to lower the fat content. My gut was nachos, so this will be kind of like nachos - just a choice of what dip you want on your chips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #2936  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Oklahoma...State (OSU) We love 'em even when they lose, and we're never disappointed!

Good idea with the turkey sausage Jen....I don't like the cheese dip with regular sausage, and I like sausage....something about the cheese and grease.

I made a card this morning, but I'm afraid to even upload it to the sub.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #2937  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhondagView Post
Good idea with the turkey sausage Jen....I don't like the cheese dip with regular sausage, and I like sausage....something about the cheese and grease.

I made a card this morning, but I'm afraid to even upload it to the sub.
Why? is it a preorder product? I thought it was ok to post here since it wasn't an advertisement persay? this new rule thing is so darn confusin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #2938  
Mad Swapper

Morning All-
Fake all the way. I have never had a real tree in my house in my entire life.. I would most likely be allergic to them anyway!! We actually have two 6 ft trees.. one in the living room upstairs and one in the basement- and then one 3 ft tree in the den. All have a little different theme. The living room one is all glass or handpainted or the German traditional ornaments.. it always sparkles! Every year we go to the German outdoor market in downtown Chicago. They have a building with hundreds of different ornaments- the traditional pickles and all the other fund ones. We always get a new one or two when we go. The basement is all our "fun" personal ornaments- gifts, ones from when we were little, etc. We love snoopy around here so they all go there. Then the little tree holds my collection of star ornaments. I love stars! So there you have it.. you know the truth.. I am a christmas ornament junkie.. is there an anonymous group for that?

working from home today.. in my pjs.. on the poker table in my basement. this is like heaven! I realize how blessed I am to have this new job (as my dog comes over to give me a kiss )

have a good day all!
L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #2939  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Oklahoma...State (OSU) We love 'em even when they lose, and we're never disappointed!

I think they will have to be in the sub, but I don't want those who feel their sales are hurt by sneak peeks (I feel most of these sets wouldn't sell well at all if they weren't in the sneak peek myself, but that's another story.) to talk to someone in DS who says anyone who posts anywhere (even the sub or on a demo only password protected site) is the devil incarnate and must cease and desist! (Can I even send a killer bees card to Jen? What are the rules on that?)

I also want a date....they gave January 1 as the date to even show customers for SAB sets that begin February 1, so then what would the date be for new catty stuff? I will want to show one of the make and takes for my new catty party in the email invite I send.....Otherwise why would anyone ever need to buy a set ahead of time.

I totally understand why SCS doesn't care (and doesn't move the preview catty stuff to the sub)....I'm sure new SU! stuff brings in lots of extra hits for the site. I also understand why SU! released the sets a month and a half before they will allow us to show them to anyone. Keep those December sales high....make demos buy stuff they never would have bought if they had to wait and compare them to the better things in the new catalog.

Money, Money, Money, Money....MONEY!

Sorry for the rant...

We're good Liz--we don't need COJA.....I know a lady here in town (from Stamp Club) that puts up over 100 trees in her house.....mostly Hallmark, and all with defined themes. There is an outhouse tree in one bathroom. Her house is huge, but it is still a lot of trees. Many are the tall skinny kind especially in the kitchen. It is a beautiful thing, but wow...what a lot of work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #2940  
Stazon Splitcoast

Let us know what ds says, will you, Rhonda? I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #2941  
Gallery Gazer

My understanding is they don't want images posted on blogs, websites, etc (they can be vague of just where) before they post it publicly. It's nice to get stuff ahead to be able to prepare, but as Rhonda said there will be better stuff (things we personally like more) in the catty. I am only buying pre order because of the extra 20%. When that stops I will wait to order on the first customer day and plan my events accordingly. Yes I'll expedite then! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #2942  
Stazon Splitcoast

The girl I just spoke with said I could do what I want with my own customers which was the main problem I was having with this. (I likened it to having bought a set that is retired for a month and then can be used.)

(A confusing point for me....I wanted to send a new hostess level2 card to my SAB hostesses that are already booked. Why wouldn't that be allowed? And apparently it is okay. It is also okay to send a card to Jen with the bees on it btw.....sorry Jen!)

She even said that a week before is okay for all sharing....I think they need to set a concrete date for that for everyone though and put it in writing....Of course their concern is the internet. From the way she said it, the internet situation was that customers think they can or should be able to BUY it once they see it anywhere. (They may have received some complaints from customers?)

She said we CAN upload to a demo only gallery/site. I wanted to hear this with my own ears before I uploaded even to the sub.

So I will be uploading to the sub....though now I've wasted enough time that my friend will be here for help with her Christmas cards before I can get it done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #2943  
Gallery Gazer

I think showing the sets for SAB will hurt Jan sales. My clubs/customers are getting no peeks until Feb 1. I'll just tell them they will love them.
To Do
Retired List Dec 9 - no clubs this month - bombard them with emails
Jan 18- last chance to order retired sets- Only one club meets before this date.
Feb 1st SAB starts - 8 weeks 2 chances for club members to order

How much of the catalog do you think we will lose? I remember reading somewhere anything not already die cut will be gone. That's most of what I own. Punches? DSP will change of course.

I'm using a retired set from year's back (Santa and sleigh) for a snowglobe card at my Holiday Event. I have so many cute sets. Why not get customers to drag out an old set, shake the dust off, and use those sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #2944  
Stazon Splitcoast

Some sets will be converted to diecut, like Always was. We'll have to lose some, in order to have room for the Big Shot stuff, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #2945  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhondagView Post
The girl I just spoke with said I could do what I want with my own customers which was the main problem I was having with this. (I likened it to having bought a set that is retired for a month and then can be used.)

(A confusing point for me....I wanted to send a new hostess level2 card to my SAB hostesses that are already booked. Why wouldn't that be allowed? And apparently it is okay. It is also okay to send a card to Jen with the bees on it btw.....sorry Jen!)

She even said that a week before is okay for all sharing....I think they need to set a concrete date for that for everyone though and put it in writing....Of course their concern is the internet. From the way she said it, the internet situation was that customers think they can or should be able to BUY it once they see it anywhere. (They may have received some complaints from customers?)

She said we CAN upload to a demo only gallery/site. I wanted to hear this with my own ears before I uploaded even to the sub.

So I will be uploading to the sub....though now I've wasted enough time that my friend will be here for help with her Christmas cards before I can get it done.

come on SU.. don't be wishy washy.. that's where they get themselves in a load of trouble. set a policy by making dates and being clear in what you want or else all H#@@ breaks loose in the demo forums! this is the only thing that frustrates me.. because then all the crabbing and moaning starts on the demo side..

Well since I am Horrible about updating my blog and gallery.. I don't think I have anything to worry about. I haven't posted since before convention! but this kind of thing is what causes a lot of cat fights..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #2946  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
Some sets will be converted to diecut, like Always was. We'll have to lose some, in order to have room for the Big Shot stuff, right?
And I am OK with that!! we need new styles of some of our stamps anyway..

I am afraid that my good friend, Lovely As A Tree, will retire.. but I am thinking the time has come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #2947  
Crimping Master

Hi Everyone!
I think I'm caught up on everyone's postings. I'm finally finished with this semester! This weekend I'm going to stamp and work on Christmas stuff. I haven't even started decorated or shopping. My friend found a Wii for me at Walmart yesterday, $249.00 and I didn't have to worry about shipping!

I'm on the fence about the pre-order stuff. I'm ordering strictly for me and what I like now. Since I am now essentially a hobby demo. I think I might end up with only one set and the Raspberry paper. I'm not very excited about the hostess sets either. The accessories seem to be what interests me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #2948  
Pearl-ExPert

Noooo, not Lovely As A Tree! That is one set I will never let go of.

Haven't made anything with my expedited order that arrived yesterday yet. Will probably be tomorrow after decorating the house for Christmas. Right now I am in the middle of another of the Peace banners with the Wish scrappin kit this time.

I am at work right now, but email is down so I am here catching up and waiting for the phone to ring to tell me email is back and then I have load of work to do (that will actually take me about 15mins). Leaving here at noon to help a friend with some Craigslist postings - she lost her job on Wednesday - bummer!

Maybe I will have time tonight to decorate yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #2949  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always do turkey sausage. I don't eat beef and until recently didn't eat pork - even though I will sample it now and then, I don't really enjoy it and it's just so much healthier to do the turkey.

Little guy and I ran some errands. He has off on Fridays. I still have some cleaning to do before people arrive tonight. Not too many thank goodnes - maybe 4 or 5. And I have to shower too. Was waiting for the cleaning to be done.

I haven't preordered anything yet either. Will probably get a hostess set. Not sure. Should probably think about that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #2950  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't been to the demo forums for a few days since my computer time is seriously limited by my slow laptop. Is there lots of whining about the preorder posting?

I am now thinking that I might wait until Jan 1 to do my preorder. I am not planning on selling anything this month, even with the retirement list so if I wait, I will have a better chance of getting a VR. I know that is cutting it a very close for our swap so maybe not. I wouldn't even consider it if I weren't right here in Utah that's for sure.

So here are my business plans for the new year. Someone tell me if you think I am crazy or delusional. I don't do workshops so I rely on clubs and classes.

Two different clubs, one focusing on scrapbooking and the other on techniques that meet every other month starting in February. (Both meet the same month which will probably make my customers choose one or the other but will also increase my VR that month).

In the off month (starting in January), holding a card/project buffet and doing a some kind of share with my customers (ribbon, DSP, etc).

Am I missing something essential in my plan?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #2951  
Hardware Hotshot

I also need some advice that is sort of business related. It's kind of long, sorry.

I have been buying scentsy from one of my customers, Jodi, because she buys a lot of stuff from me and has brought me business. She is pretty successful at Scentsy. She had another SU demo that she hears from (Wendy Knowles who presented at convention) but likes my classes enough to ask me to bring my christmas one to her house.

Now, I found out that my friend Jamie has just started selling Scentsy and is launching her business at an open house tomorrow. Her mom is actually my good friend and I was one of her leaders at Church and she used to watch AJ for me when I was working too. She has never come to one of my SU events, but I just got a request from her on the demo locater to get my newsletter.

My question is do I buy my MIL's scentsy Christmas present from Jodi or Jamie? I guess it's not likely that Jodi will know if I buy it from Jamie and I'd like to help her get her business off the ground, but I feel a loyalty to Jodi since she has bought so much from me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #2952  
Stazon Splitcoast

HI Paula,

I have a couple of customers that alternate buying from me and someone else. So, that's probably what I would do. Buy from your friend that's just starting this time - help her out - buy from the next next time and so on. I think that's the easiest way. I sure do hate those dilemas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #2953  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think Jen has a good idea. And your business plan sounds good to me! I would love to add one more class a month, but I just don't have enough free evenings!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #2954  
Stazon Splitcoast

The STBX just came to pick up the boys. Apparently he's got two job interviews lined up for next week. One can only hope.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #2955  
Mad Swapper

Hi guys! I'm popping in for a quick minute before I take DD to my mom's for the night and then I am off to crop! Little does my mom know that she is watching dd so I can go to a crop and make her christmas present! bwahahaha!

I just received my order that I placed last week (not preview, regular) and I had ordered 2 6x6 RING scrapbooks (one for my mom and one for mil's xmas gift) and I received 2 6x6 POST scrapbooks. I called ds and they are fixing it and I get to keep the the books they sent because it was there error! I was like really! Put me on the positive side for SU!!! That is just awesome!

I'll catch up with you all this weekend! Have a great night!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #2956  
Mad Swapper

Interesting Crissy! I can't believe they wouldn't have you return them. Must not be worth the shipping back and forth! Enjoy your crop tonight!

Paula- I like your business plan. i should really start something like that for myself.. but I have to build my customer base in this area first. good idea. thanks for sharing (or looking for advice!) There hasn't been a lot of whining on the demo side about the preorders.. but you know how that goes!

Oh and I would buy from the one just starting and then alternate. What is Scentsy by the way?

Jen- have fun with your guests!

I will be at home with the christmas music on, putting up my trees! woo hoo!
it is so stinking cold here today in Chicago! brrrrr.. I have been wearing a blanket all day! Tomorrow I am going on a college tour with my niece in downtown chicago.. where the wind always makes it colder.. I better get out my "long johns"!

back to work for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #2957  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am frantically cleaning for my guests! I think it's up to 5! I have to figure out what I am working on between now and then. I have some secret elf gifts that need to be finished so I can priority them tomorrow. Sigh. I know, I know...waiting until the last minute, but that's who I am!! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #2958  
Stazon Splitcoast

And I should have added I'm waiting until the last minute because I am stuck in the middle of one of the projects and I don't like it, so I don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #2959  
Mad Swapper

Jen- It's Ok. I have redone one of my projects four times. I can't get the embossing to look how I want it to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #2960  
Mad Swapper

Hi, I'm back! Early today!

Paula, sounds like a good plan that Jen offered - alternate orders from each.

Liz, Sentsy is a relatively new company that is going gangbusters in Utah - and other places. Instead of burning a candle, you have a little pot with a light bulb on the bottom and scented wax on the top. They are great! I have a couple (my DD is selling them!) and love it so much because there is not the danger of anything catching on fire, plus no 'stuff' in the air that you get with a burning candle.

Check out their website, scentsy.com

Jen, I hope you get everything put together. You sound just like me - always getting uber stressed up until the last minute. Trying to decide on projects and food. But your food sounds really yummy and I think your projects will be great!

Rhonda, I'm so glad you talked to DS. I LOVE seeing the sample with the new stuff and it really helps me decide on what I really like before I actually spend a whole bunch of money on stuff I end up not using.

Crissy, you are lucky to end up with 2 extra albums!

I'm actually at the library catching a few quiet moments while my DD's are at the movies. Working on my laptop, trying to decide what to do for my January group.

My oldest DD that moved home has grown up! She is totally awesome - made cookies for a cookie exchange for me yesterday and cooked dinner while I was away at piano lessons. Today she made breakfast for everyone and served my 2 youngest DD's breakfast in bed! She cleans up after herself and cleans the house! (She says she's doing all this 'cause she's bored - can't wait to start her new job on MOnday.) I think it's too bad that she has to go back to work LOL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes